Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

Orphean nailed it. You described a COIN game.There's no hidden information at all, and unique actions for each faction, so different sides of the war play extremely differently.

There also appears to be a flavor of insurgency to suit all tastes, from Ancient Rome to America's war on terror.

Well, thing is, I already have Fire in the Lake :) I enjoy that a lot, but honestly I'm looking for a hex-and-counter game to scratch this particular itch.

edit-- D-Day at Omaha Beach looks like a good complex WG that's also solitaire, which looks like it'd be right up my alley!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I'd like to get back onto Reluctant Enemies but I'm kind of strapped for time at the moment. Maybe this weekend wins?

Sorry I missed this. I was at a con all weekend. I'm mostly free this coming weekend if you're available.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

COOL CORN posted:

Well, thing is, I already have Fire in the Lake :) I enjoy that a lot, but honestly I'm looking for a hex-and-counter game to scratch this particular itch.

edit-- D-Day at Omaha Beach looks like a good complex WG that's also solitaire, which looks like it'd be right up my alley!

D-Day is really good just be prepared for fairly shoddy components. DG really dropped the ball on the 2nd edition printing which is super frustrating because the GAME itself is so great. The map is good though even in 2nd edition and its actually the game I have setup right now so yeah. Good choice.

If you do pick it up just be prepared to cut the counters out with an exacto because if you don't you'll get massive peeling and other horrible crap.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Is there any reason to not just jump into Fire in the Lake by playing a solo game with the flowcharts and all that?

I should probably play Navajo Wars at some point before buying any more solo games.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Is there any reason to not just jump into Fire in the Lake by playing a solo game with the flowcharts and all that?

I should probably play Navajo Wars at some point before buying any more solo games.

FITL was my first COIN game, and I ran through the playbook once and then jumped straight into a solo game with me (US/ARVN) vs the AI (NVA/VC). It was a blast.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I don't think COIN knows how to stop anymore.

There are now four announced and unreleased COIN games in the works, as many as there are released games: Gallic War, Liberty or Death, Iron Butterfly, and that post-Roman British game whose name I can't find.

It's glorious, and also wallet-devastating.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well, the system lends itself to mass production!

I just wish I could find a copy of Cuba Libre for less than like... $150.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There's a scheduled reprint for 2Q 2015 of all the current COIN games, so maybe throw in a p500 for that. I'm still waiting for the war of Irish independence game. That's the only one I'm really excited for.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lord Frisk posted:

There's a scheduled reprint for 2Q 2015 of all the current COIN games, so maybe throw in a p500 for that. I'm still waiting for the war of Irish independence game. That's the only one I'm really excited for.

Just let me be Mick Collins already GMT. It's all I really want from the series.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

poo poo I didn't even think about that, but it would be amazing.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Gutter Owl posted:

I don't think COIN knows how to stop anymore.

There are now four announced and unreleased COIN games in the works, as many as there are released games: Gallic War, Liberty or Death, Iron Butterfly, and that post-Roman British game whose name I can't find.

It's glorious, and also wallet-devastating.

COIN FOR THE COIN THRONE

Seriously guys, give a 40k COIN :v:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dre2Dee2 posted:

COIN FOR THE COIN THRONE

Seriously guys, give a 40k COIN :v:

Why? There's plenty of 40k war games. I get the light sarcasm here, but the market is choked with warhamner stuff.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I would like a non-poo poo warhammer game besides citow.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

diskwars and all that. either way, there's enough of that glut that it's not due to a lack of selection.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

cenotaph posted:

I would like a non-poo poo warhammer game besides citow.

It's called Blood Bowl, but it's not a wargame.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
1) Diskwars
2) Diskwars
3) Just play Mantic games with your warham figs.

As an aside, I think we're nearing the time when we can be certain that no further Diskwars expansions are coming, ever. :smith:

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Does pining for a miniatures game with Earth Reborn levels of richness and depth (i.e. nigh-on simulation) with tight rules count towards wishing for a good Warhammer game? It's like, minis and poo poo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Put in my first P500, for Gallic Wars. Fire in the Lake is so damned good that there's no way I can pass it up, especially since I love Rome-y stuff.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

It's called Blood Bowl, but it's not a wargame.

Played the PC version and it's not really my thing. I just want a 40k hex and counter game, preferably around the scale of epic. Hopefully that Armageddon game Slitherine is putting out will be good.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

cenotaph posted:

Played the PC version and it's not really my thing. I just want a 40k hex and counter game, preferably around the scale of epic. Hopefully that Armageddon game Slitherine is putting out will be good.

If you like Panzer Corp you'll probably like that. It's basically Panzer Corp: For The Emperor edition.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I've never really played a pc wargame but I should probably give them a shot.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
It's a really fun game but very light. Don't go in expecting a really deep hex and counter tabletop experience.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hey, someone get on IRC and (begin to) teach me a new wargame! Something hex-y.

edit-- Thanks Panzeh for your "Here's Why You Do What You Do In Empire of the Sun" class. :)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 14, 2014

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'm currently suffering a sort of burnout regarding tactical games. The basic gameplay of "get your dudes in better cover than the opponent and fiddle with LoS" feels very by-the-book and procedural. I currently feel that the games in the genre are able to sustain attention only by:
1) Cramming enough poo poo on top of that - tanks! Smoke grenades! Unwieldy, yet powerful MGs! - to create space for interesting decisions to be made. Perhaps best exemplified by how much more interesting the second volume of the Band of Brothers series was than its predecessor.
2) Cramming a shitload of special skills and abilities to create space for interesting decisions to be made, as done by pretty much all non-historical games.

Basically, I need some back-to-basics, stripped down, yet sorta interesting tactical game to reclaim my inner peace.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My goal for today is to learn Navajo Wars on VASSAL, because it just looks like too innovative of an idea to not be in my collection (when I get paid)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Did you see they are coming out with a sequel to Navajo Wars, called Comancheria? :v:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Did you see they are coming out with a sequel to Navajo Wars, called Comancheria? :v:

I did! I looks good.

And doh, I can't learn on VASSAL because even though I have the rulebook and playbook, I don't have the charts to resolve random cube pulls. Oh well, it can wait until I get paid I guess.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

COOL CORN posted:

I did! I looks good.

And doh, I can't learn on VASSAL because even though I have the rulebook and playbook, I don't have the charts to resolve random cube pulls. Oh well, it can wait until I get paid I guess.

If you're on IRC tomorrow evening or possibly Sunday I can run you through a learning game if you'd like.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

blackmongoose posted:

If you're on IRC tomorrow evening or possibly Sunday I can run you through a learning game if you'd like.

Awesome. I did put in an order on the BGG marketplace for a copy though - $25 isn't bad! I guess that's a fair price for the amount of enjoyment I imagine I'll get.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012
Just finished my first non-failure campaign in TAL (3rd try of Iraq/Surge, ended up with a good rating). Bought it after all the recent chatter about it here and boy is it awesome. Can't wait to move beyond the Iraq campaign and start playing with the newer toys.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

MMP is having a pre Black Friday sale, are there any of their games I have to own?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

MMP is having a pre Black Friday sale, are there any of their games I have to own?

To expand on this, here is the exact sale:

quote:

Advanced Squad Leader
Action Pack 5: East Front - $19.00
Action Pack 6: A Decade of War - $19.00
Scenario Pack: Turning The Tide - $12.00
Scenario Pack: Rivers to the Reich - $12.00
Scenario Pack: Best of Friends - $9.00
Journal #2 (Reprint) - $26.00
Journal #10 - $16.00
Out of the Attic #2 - $11.00
Blood Reef: Tarawa Gamer's Guide - $9.00

Civil War Brigade Series
In Their Quiet Fields 2 - $19.00
April's Harvest - $16.00

Napoleonic Brigade Series
Marengo - $15.00
Talavera - $15.00

Tactical Combat Series
Leros - $27.00

Operational Combat Series
Guderian's Blitzkrieg II (Reprint) - $88.00
The Blitzkrieg Legend - $60.00

Standard Combat Series
Guadalajara - $19.00
Rock of the Marne - $22.00
Karelia '44 - $23.00
Heights of Courage - $22.00

Magazines
Operations Special Edition #2 - $20.00
Special Ops #1 - $13.00
Special Ops #2 - $13.00
Special Ops #3 - $13.00
Special Ops #4 - $13.00

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War
Stonewall Jacksons Way 2 - $46.00
Battle Above the Clouds - $46.00

Grand Tactical Series
Where Eagles Dare - $88.00
No Question of Surrender - $38.00

International Game Series
Angola - $42.00
The Tide at Sunrise - $22.00
King Philip's War - $23.00
A Most Dangerous Time - $36.00
Storm Over Stalingrad - $23.00
War of the Suns - $88.00

Miscellaneous and Non-Series Games
The Kingdom of Heaven - $40.00
Lincoln's War - $40.00
Breakthrough: Cambrai - $26.00

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Is there a link for this? I can't seem to track it down on their site. I've had my eye on Guderian's Blitzkrieg II and The Tide At Sunrise recently.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is there a link for this? I can't seem to track it down on their site. I've had my eye on Guderian's Blitzkrieg II and The Tide At Sunrise recently.

Emailed it to me I don't see a link on the website.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey, Flying Colors-havers, is there a sane storage solution for this game?

I mean, damage and status tokens go into tray(s) rather nicely, but I've got no idea how to go about the ships. The "one bag per nation" way kinda sucks when you have to sort through a million British ships before each game, and you can't really sort by scenarios, as same ships are used in different ones. What should I do?

Also, I got this weird black and white foldable box/envelope kinda thing. What the hell is it? Perhaps what the Ship of the Line expansion was originally packed in? If so, how the hell was it actually used, as the folded thing does not really close at the back?

PS. Game is cool. Seems like a nice marriage of manageable gameplay and histspergin'. Some parts of the dice-rolling kinda feel like an experience generator game, but the maneuvering keeps it cerebral.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Lichtenstein posted:

Hey, Flying Colors-havers, is there a sane storage solution for this game?

I mean, damage and status tokens go into tray(s) rather nicely, but I've got no idea how to go about the ships. The "one bag per nation" way kinda sucks when you have to sort through a million British ships before each game, and you can't really sort by scenarios, as same ships are used in different ones. What should I do?

Also, I got this weird black and white foldable box/envelope kinda thing. What the hell is it? Perhaps what the Ship of the Line expansion was originally packed in? If so, how the hell was it actually used, as the folded thing does not really close at the back?

PS. Game is cool. Seems like a nice marriage of manageable gameplay and histspergin'. Some parts of the dice-rolling kinda feel like an experience generator game, but the maneuvering keeps it cerebral.

From the sounds of it, this is similar to Wooden Ships & Iron Men, so I'll give you my storage solution for that: Sort ships by nation/class/guns(last one optional, but it helps a lot if the scenarios tell you that info), then put each set into a tray slot. Then when you see a British 80-gun ship of the line on the scenario list, you have a small pile to look through to find the right one. Hopefully the games are similar enough that this will work for yours too!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm currently suffering a sort of burnout regarding tactical games. The basic gameplay of "get your dudes in better cover than the opponent and fiddle with LoS" feels very by-the-book and procedural. I currently feel that the games in the genre are able to sustain attention only by:
1) Cramming enough poo poo on top of that - tanks! Smoke grenades! Unwieldy, yet powerful MGs! - to create space for interesting decisions to be made. Perhaps best exemplified by how much more interesting the second volume of the Band of Brothers series was than its predecessor.
2) Cramming a shitload of special skills and abilities to create space for interesting decisions to be made, as done by pretty much all non-historical games.

Basically, I need some back-to-basics, stripped down, yet sorta interesting tactical game to reclaim my inner peace.

Combat Commander if you like hands of cards.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
My friend and I have decided to, in the new year, buy Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg between us and set aside as much time as we possibly can and dig into it.

Edit: What's a good intro to OCS games? I've got my eye on Korea: The Forgotten War as something that looks actually playable and has good reviews.

Bullbar fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 15, 2014

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Edit: What's a good intro to OCS games? I've got my eye on Korea: The Forgotten War as something that looks actually playable and has good reviews.

I've heard that Tunisia and Reluctant Enemies are both also good starting points for OCS, as long as you like deserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Anyone up for FitL on VASSAL tomorrow let me know.