Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Another study about the harmful effects of marijuana is making the rounds across the web:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/marijuana-linked-iqs-study-article-1.2006972

It seems to follow the usual trend: "Marijuana Lowers IQ" is the leading headline, but an in-depth view of the article seems to indicate that the study only applies to young people, who are obviously not being allowed to smoke under the 21+ laws.

Seems like a whole lot of nothin' to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The effects of marijuana on people of all ages is a good thing for humans to know and understand and whether or not the study's findings are true, that article references no laws and makes no policy recommendations.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The effects of marijuana on people of all ages is a good thing for humans to know and understand and whether or not the study is true, that article makes zero references to any laws or policy recommendations.

Ever since the recent legalizations, I've been staying skeptical about the marijuana studies, mostly because media outlets tend to jump on them as an excuse to keep marijuana illegal.

Unrelated to marijuana, but people in general have a tendency to treat "one study says" as "the scientific community agrees on this fact," which is problematic to say the least.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

The effects of marijuana on people of all ages is a good thing for humans to know and understand and whether or not the study's findings are true, that article references no laws and makes no policy recommendations.

It's worse than that. To summarize: "We have a study that proves that regular cannabis use changes the brain. What do those changes manifest as behaviorally? We have no idea, but we're willing to bet that it's bad."

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That's more due to the fact that journalists are terrible at reading science papers and scientists are terrible at writing papers that lay people can understand.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

AYC posted:

Ever since the recent legalizations, I've been staying skeptical about the marijuana studies, mostly because media outlets tend to jump on them as an excuse to keep marijuana illegal.

Unrelated to marijuana, but people in general have a tendency to treat "one study says" as "the scientific community agrees on this fact," which is problematic to say the least.

Sure but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do the studies, or that journalists shouldn't write about scientific studies when they are published. That article is mostly inoffensive in a "yep the journalist likely jumped to conclusions based on the portion of the abstract they understand" sort of way, that's just what journalists do.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

I don't generally mind except that the article don't make it clear how much a 5 point IQ difference is, which is negligible. If you don't clarify the magnitude of the risks then it's misleading instead of useful information.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Is there a list of states that will have 2016 referenda?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Patter Song posted:

Is there a list of states that will have 2016 referenda?

Given that 2014 elections happened last week, I'd say not likely yet.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Well we can probably assume California, and Florida may try again because it was so close for MMJ... but Florida may have EVEN MORE money poured into it in 2016, so we'll see what happens there.

New York announced they would stop arresting people for posession of less than about .8 ounces, just a summons and a fine. Granted, this was initially voted for in Nineteen SEVENTY SEVEN but they just announced they'd start doing it. Hey, it's a start, I guess. Maybe this would be a first step for a movement for 2016?

Also, does anyone know if there has been any word on this yet http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/24/fda-marijuana_n_5526634.html

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SgtScruffy posted:

Well we can probably assume California, and Florida may try again because it was so close for MMJ... but Florida may have EVEN MORE money poured into it in 2016, so we'll see what happens there.

New York announced they would stop arresting people for posession of less than about .8 ounces, just a summons and a fine. Granted, this was initially voted for in Nineteen SEVENTY SEVEN but they just announced they'd start doing it. Hey, it's a start, I guess. Maybe this would be a first step for a movement for 2016?

Also, does anyone know if there has been any word on this yet http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/24/fda-marijuana_n_5526634.html

Cuomo has outright said no to legalization, so nothing will happen while he is in office, and he just got re-elected.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ToastyPotato posted:

Cuomo has outright said no to legalization, so nothing will happen while he is in office, and he just got re-elected.

Didn't he say okay to medical marijuana and decriminalization?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Cuomo wouldn't have a say if it became a constitutional amendment, but fat chance of that happening.

NY doesn't have voter initiated amendments. It has to get a majority of votes in two consecutive sessions of state legislature. If both of those pass, then it gets put on a referendum during the next election.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Cuomo is as craven as they come; if it reaches ludicrious levels of popular support he'll probably sign it with such gusto that you'd think he wrote it himself. See: literally every other thing that he's gotten publicity for passing.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

Tab8715 posted:

Didn't he say okay to medical marijuana and decriminalization?

No. His MMJ bill, which he finally allowed to pass after years of blocking it, is absolute poo poo: it doesn't even allow patients to smoke pot. Also, the list of accepted ailments is extremely restricted, leaving out the vast majority of medical patients.

And marijuana still isn't truly decriminalized in NY. There was a so-called decriminalization bill passed in the 70s, but it has a huge loophole: if it's in public view, it's an arrestable crime, not a ticket. Now, cops have been tricking blacks and hispanics into emptying their pockets, thus making their baggie "in public view." There's been some half-assed attempts at fixing this in NYC, but it hasn't stopped at all. So this so-called decrim is hosed because a) in the majority of cases, police will only come across pot when people are smoking it in public- cops aren't going to get a warrant to enter an apartment(except for public housing, whose residents are still hosed because regardless of decriminalization, being found with weed means eviction and homelessness.) b) the stop-and-frisk problem is as big as ever. The new rules (formulated by De Blasio and Bratton) allow cops to arrest (black) people if they "smell freshly burnt marijuana" or if they think they're acting suspicious. These loopholes are huge, certainly enough for the cops to continue their war on pot-smoking minorities unimpeded.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Aw yes, with their highly trained noses and years of experience, the subtle difference between "freshly burnt" marijuana and the normal smell of marijuana will be obvious!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Powercrazy posted:

Aw yes, with their highly trained noses and years of experience, the subtle difference between "freshly burnt" marijuana and the normal smell of marijuana will be obvious!

That was one of the less-discussed but amazing aspects of DC's decrim: it removed "I smelled weed" as probable cause.

And gently caress anyone unironically whining "but it's a vital law enforcement technique!!!"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

AYC posted:

The big prize will be California, which is almost certain to pass it.

Why'd it fail last go-round?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fuschia tude posted:

Why'd it fail last go-round?

It was 2010.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

FreshlyShaven posted:

No. His MMJ bill, which he finally allowed to pass after years of blocking it, is absolute poo poo: it doesn't even allow patients to smoke pot. Also, the list of accepted ailments is extremely restricted, leaving out the vast majority of medical patients.

And marijuana still isn't truly decriminalized in NY. There was a so-called decriminalization bill passed in the 70s, but it has a huge loophole: if it's in public view, it's an arrestable crime, not a ticket. Now, cops have been tricking blacks and hispanics into emptying their pockets, thus making their baggie "in public view." There's been some half-assed attempts at fixing this in NYC, but it hasn't stopped at all. So this so-called decrim is hosed because a) in the majority of cases, police will only come across pot when people are smoking it in public- cops aren't going to get a warrant to enter an apartment(except for public housing, whose residents are still hosed because regardless of decriminalization, being found with weed means eviction and homelessness.) b) the stop-and-frisk problem is as big as ever. The new rules (formulated by De Blasio and Bratton) allow cops to arrest (black) people if they "smell freshly burnt marijuana" or if they think they're acting suspicious. These loopholes are huge, certainly enough for the cops to continue their war on pot-smoking minorities unimpeded.

I'm a little surprised given how liberal NYC is, what does he have to lose?

I did read that they're making those found with marijuana now a ticket and not a jail-able offense.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2014/11/12/mixed-feelings-marijuana-legalization/18945367/

Vermont had a hearing on marijuana legalization a few days ago; supposedly, a report of sorts is being prepared by the government next January about the potential causes and consequences of marijuana legalization.

Given Vermont's progressive streak, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the first state to legislatively legalize marijuana.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A bigger part of the problem (although holding a highly-progressive ballot initiative in a midterm year was stupid, of course) was that medical marijuana dispensary/co-op owners worked strenuously to defeat legalization.

I tried to get them to realize they stood to benefit from legalization in the short term, possibly more than anyone else, but nobody really thought that one through -- they just assumed that legalization would close their MMJ business and put them on the street.

Idiots.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

At this point it's not really a question of if California will pass a legal weed initiative, it's what kind of initiative it will pass. I'm presuming some sort of Colorado-style MMJ conversion bill.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

Tab8715 posted:

I did read that they're making those found with marijuana now a ticket and not a jail-able offense.

New York isn't as liberal as you'd think, especially the state. It's the old-school Rockefeller "liberals" that control most of the Democratic party.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

AYC posted:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2014/11/12/mixed-feelings-marijuana-legalization/18945367/

Vermont had a hearing on marijuana legalization a few days ago; supposedly, a report of sorts is being prepared by the government next January about the potential causes and consequences of marijuana legalization.

Given Vermont's progressive streak, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the first state to legislatively legalize marijuana.

Any possibility of VT doing this prior to Nov 2016? Just one more role model for the five or so states voting on this in 2016.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

AYC posted:

At this point it's not really a question of if California will pass a legal weed initiative, it's what kind of initiative it will pass. I'm presuming some sort of Colorado-style MMJ conversion bill.

Any ideas if it'll be getting put on the 2016 ballot?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

Any ideas if it'll be getting put on the 2016 ballot?

All signs point to yes, along with Arizona and Nevada.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

New York State isn't NYC, and there's a lot of weird resentment at the state level about the two being conflated.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

mdemone posted:

Maine and Massachuchetts as well, iirc.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Any possibility of VT doing this prior to N. 2016? Just one more role model for the five or so states voting on this in 2016.

As the most liberal state in the country, I'd be surprised if they didn't. Shumlin already signed in decriminalization.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

mdemone posted:

Don't forget Florida! :suicide:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Sure but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do the studies, or that journalists shouldn't write about scientific studies when they are published. That article is mostly inoffensive in a "yep the journalist likely jumped to conclusions based on the portion of the abstract they understand" sort of way, that's just what journalists do.
No, it's more sinister than that. The IQ portion isn't in the abstract. In fact, the paper isn't even about IQ at all. It's a voxel morphometry fishing expedition, like the Breiter turd dropped earlier this year. IQ is just a background characteristic of the participants, and the ability of the measurements taken to explain the link is explicitly disclaimed by the paper.

quote:

Lastly, to partially address how these abnormalities are related to cognitive processes, we conducted a mediation analysis to assess whether neural abnormalities (OFC gray matter volumes, OFC/temporal lobe functional connectivity, FA/RD of forceps minor) mediate lower scores on IQ in marijuana users. We did not find that the causal variable (i.e., marijuana use) was significantly correlated with the mediator variable (i.e., OFC gray matter volume, OFC/temporal functional connectivity, and FA/RD of forceps minor) and outcome variable (i.e., IQ). We, therefore, suggest that the path from marijuana use to neural abnormalities to decreases in IQ is more complex and, perhaps, include other mediators such as environmental (i.e., age of onset) and/or genetic factors.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
edit: I did not understand what I was talking about. This article clarified it for me. Makes me happy that Forbes is projecting that the DC law will not be cockblocked.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2014/11/14/why-congress-probably-wont-block-marijuana-legalization-in-washington-d-c/

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 15, 2014

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I guess that it’s nice to have a dad in high places.

quote:

Gov. Beebe to Pardon Son Over Marijuana Conviction
LITTLE ROCK, Ark http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/gov-beebe-pardon-son-marijuana-conviction-26881131

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

quote:

He was sentenced to three years supervised probation, $1,150 in fines and court costs and had his driver's license suspended for six months.

God I love California. Here I could smoke weed in public and only get fined a hundred bucks with no record. :patriot:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

AYC posted:

God I love California. Here I could smoke weed in public and only get fined a hundred bucks with no record. :patriot:

I love living in Denver. I could smoke weed on my front porch, (there is an elementary school directly across the street), and tell the police to go gently caress themselves. I do not do this, but I could. :smuggo:

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

MrChupon posted:

I love living in Denver. I could smoke weed on my front porch, (there is an elementary school directly across the street), and tell the police to go gently caress themselves. I do not do this, but I could. :smuggo:

What are weed shops like? Any different than, say, liquor stores?

Also, are the police enforcing the under-21 ban for college freshman/sophomores?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AYC posted:

What are weed shops like? Any different than, say, liquor stores?

A lot more cash transactions.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004

computer parts posted:

A lot more cash transactions.

Plus you're IDed at the door, not at the cash register IIRC. And a recent sting operation in Denver found that while plenty of liquor stores sold to teenagers working with the cops, not a single dispensary allowed them inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

FreshlyShaven posted:

Plus you're IDed at the door, not at the cash register IIRC. And a recent sting operation in Denver found that while plenty of liquor stores sold to teenagers working with the cops, not a single dispensary allowed them inside.

I've always been sadly mystified by the existence of the kind of kids that actually work with LEOs on those stings. I expect that they're all socially malignant christian conservatives that are planning on a career in LE.

• Locked thread