Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

deimos posted:

The Oster $60-75 ones or the Breville $250+ ones are the two "good" options. Most of the stuff in between may have more or less frills but they'll cook the same (or worse in some cases, looking at you Hamilton Beach and Cuisinart) as the Oster.

Got me an Oster and cooking cookies in it to see where the hot and cold spots are. Also never buy a Black and Decker toaster oven they will catch your toast on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a food processor + blender combo unit?

My wife uses a food processor all of the time, but is pretty anti-stuff so doesn't a separate blender and processor. She wants a combo unit, even though her last one like has super fallen apart. She thinks it is just from wear of using it a lot, I think it is because combo units are generally shittier than non-combo units. I'm of the mind of thinking it is probably better to have two separate [specialized and good at what they do] units than one combo unit-- but then again my reasoning is mostly tech focused from like Modem/router combo units being terrible.

However she's the one that cooks / will be using them so here I am asking if anyone has any good recommendations?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think Scientastic has one of these Kenwood Multipro combo units and said it was alright?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kenwood+multipro

Although I'm not 100% sure it's the right voltage for the US? It might also be sold as Delonghi:
http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-DFP9...ender+processor

There's also the Ninja Kitchen system, which seems to have decent reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Mega-Kitchen-System-BL771/dp/B00A3D5IZ6

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 13, 2014

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah the Ninja kitchen one was the one I was looking at before thinking I may as well ask in this thread.

Looks like that may be the one. Thanks!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hell of a deal on a lift bowl kitchenaid.

This right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1C2-0001-00083

for $220 with promo code EMCWWWW64. Normally $359.

Am I best off buying this or waiting for an Amazon deal on Black Friday/Cyber Monday or whatever? I don't have an urgent need or anything.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

Am I best off buying this or waiting for an Amazon deal on Black Friday/Cyber Monday or whatever? I don't have an urgent need or anything.

Hard to say, but I don't think I've ever seen a lower price on a professional model. So I can't imagine a deal being that much better. But it's always possible I guess.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hard to say, but I don't think I've ever seen a lower price on a professional model. So I can't imagine a deal being that much better. But it's always possible I guess.

Cool, thanks. I'm not really fussed about minor differences, I don't care if Amazon turns out to have it for $210 instead of $220. Just wanted to know if there was likely to be a better price by a significant amount.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just pulled the trigger on the Kitchenaid stand mixer. I've never seen such a low price and I couldn't resist. At some point I'll be getting the grinder attachment, but I've heard mixed things about it. Anyone have any feedback on it? I know the biggest trick is to semi-freeze the meat you're grinding, but if there are any other tips or tricks specific to the Kitchenaid mixer, I'm all ears.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The Midniter posted:

I just pulled the trigger on the Kitchenaid stand mixer. I've never seen such a low price and I couldn't resist. At some point I'll be getting the grinder attachment, but I've heard mixed things about it. Anyone have any feedback on it? I know the biggest trick is to semi-freeze the meat you're grinding, but if there are any other tips or tricks specific to the Kitchenaid mixer, I'm all ears.

Honestly, if you can afford, and have the space, for a stand alone meat grinder do that. The attachment just isn't that good, even with the various little tricks you can do.

But if you do end up getting it, don't bother with the sausage stuffer package, that thing is absolutely useless.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 14, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd never ordered form Newegg before, but I order the Kitchenaid a couple hours after I posted that deal and it's being delivered today. Not bad.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'd never ordered form Newegg before, but I order the Kitchenaid a couple hours after I posted that deal and it's being delivered today. Not bad.

They're great. Any time I order Newegg and get standard shipping it is there overnight.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

The Midniter posted:

Don't buy the kitchen aid brand grinder, get an aftermarket one that will fit. Sausage stuffer sucks, get a standalone plunger style one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nephzinho posted:

They're great. Any time I order Newegg and get standard shipping it is there overnight.

gently caress NewEgg. I've bought things from them that don't ship until the next day even when I buy the EXPRESS HANDLING.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
They also use the world's worst shipping company in our area (OnTrac) which means that there's a 50/50 chance you'll never even get your stuff.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ha, I chose the "NewEgg LazyShip™ Free Shipping SlowTransit™" option and it's already shipping today from one state over. Sweet.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I chose whatever the default free shipping was and it's been delivered 2 days after i placed the order.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've pulled the trigger on that deal as well. Thanks so much for the heads up. A good stand mixer has been on my wishlist for a while now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought this model came with the pour shield but it doesn't. The beater is the old style, not the scrape the bowl style. On the plus side, the beater and hook are enameled so they should be dishwasher safe. For a while at least.

So I will need to buy a scraping beater and I will probably get the pour shield. The bowl is so much wider than my old one that I may not need it though.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

I thought this model came with the pour shield but it doesn't. The beater is the old style, not the scrape the bowl style. On the plus side, the beater and hook are enameled so they should be dishwasher safe. For a while at least.

So I will need to buy a scraping beater and I will probably get the pour shield. The bowl is so much wider than my old one that I may not need it though.

I have that model of KitchenAid and the pour shield is definitely nice when you're trying to add things while you're mixing and the bowl is lifted since there isn't a lot of room between the top of the bowl and the motor. I got a cheap generic scraping beater on Amazon that works well. http://smile.amazon.com/Design-Beater-5-Quart-KitchenAid-Mixers/dp/B0015TMHSI/

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Which zojirushi rice cooker should I buy? I am only cooking for about 4 people at most, so I don't need something massive. Needs to be on Amazon.ca

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Phiberoptik posted:

Which zojirushi rice cooker should I buy? I am only cooking for about 4 people at most, so I don't need something massive. Needs to be on Amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-NS-TSC10-Cooker-Warmer-Uncooked/dp/B0074CDG6C/

There is a 3-cup version which I have, but it'll probably be a bit small for 4 people; it's the right size for 1 person at least; probably 2 would be fine, but no more.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

neongrey posted:

http://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-NS-TSC10-Cooker-Warmer-Uncooked/dp/B0074CDG6C/

There is a 3-cup version which I have, but it'll probably be a bit small for 4 people; it's the right size for 1 person at least; probably 2 would be fine, but no more.

Strangely enough, the 3-cup version is actually more expensive on Amazon.ca, so I guess I should just get the 5.5 cups!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Weird. It's cheaper when Amazon proper has it in stock, but I guess it's backordered. But yeah, it's a good rice cooker. You'll like it!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Phiberoptik posted:

Strangely enough, the 3-cup version is actually more expensive on Amazon.ca, so I guess I should just get the 5.5 cups!

I got this: http://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-SRDE...asonic+SR-DE103

To replace my Zojirushi and I have found it to be pretty much just as good, but ymmv. It's really nice for small stews and steaming too.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Why are rice cookers so expensive? Do they have really sensitive/accurate parts in order to get just the right amount of cooking time?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

the littlest prince posted:

Why are rice cookers so expensive? Do they have really sensitive/accurate parts in order to get just the right amount of cooking time?

Pretty much, yes. They have a computer that constantly measures and adjusts the heat level and cooking time so that the rice always comes out perfect regardless of brand and type and then they can keep the rice at near perfect condition for 8+ hours. They are also pretty good general purpose cooking appliances since they do a good job with stews, porridges, steaming and can even bake some things passably well.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Throwing rice and water into the cooker at 0630 and coming home to perfect rice at dinner time rules. I assume the expense is related to whatever artifacts or spirits they need to capture to work this magic.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've seen some Zojirushi rice cookers for over one thousand earth dollars in stores around here. I wonder what goes into those.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

fart simpson posted:

I've seen some Zojirushi rice cookers for over one thousand earth dollars in stores around here. I wonder what goes into those.

I think you're well past the point of diminishing returns at that point. I could see thousands for the high capacity restaurant models but thousands is ridiculous for any home model.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yeah I'm talking standard home size here. It probably contains shinto spirits.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

fart simpson posted:

rice probably

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I've been looking at Zojirushis for some time now, and what has prevented me from getting one is two things.

A - I can't definitely figure out whether the 'Inductive Cooking' models are worth $230+ vs. the $150ish 'Fuzzy Logic' ones.
B - I've read that it takes much longer to make rice in these. My current Cuisinart rice cooker makes perfectly serviceable rice in 20-30 minutes.

The Cuisinart is getting old, though, and the non-stick is starting to wear off the bottom of the insert. I do use it for steaming a lot too, so I'd want a replacement that could fill that niche.

Eyeballing this one as a possible XMas gift: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-...+cooker+steamer

I currently have an 8 cup cooker, but we never make more than 4 so this looks pretty good... except all the reviews saying it takes an hour to make white rice. :(

EVG fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 17, 2014

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

EVG posted:

I've been looking at Zojirushis for some time now, and what has prevented me from getting one is two things.

A - I can't definitely figure out whether the 'Inductive Cooking' models are worth $230+ vs. the $150ish 'Fuzzy Logic' ones.
B - I've read that it takes like an hour+ to make rice in these. My current Cuisinart rice cooker makes perfectly serviceable rice in 20-30 minutes.

The cuisinart is getting old, though, and the non-stick is starting to wear off the bottom of the insert. I do use it for steaming a lot too, so I'd want a replacement that could fill that niche.

Eyeballing this one as a possible XMas gift: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-...+cooker+steamer

I currently have an 8 cup cooker, but we never make more than 4 so this looks pretty good...

I have a zojirushi and it absolutely can take an hour to make rice. If that matters, we'll... The rice is pretty solid and lasts days at good quality.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

EVG posted:

No, afaict. Not a hundred dollars better, anyway.

quote:

B - I've read that it takes much longer to make rice in these. My current Cuisinart rice cooker makes perfectly serviceable rice in 20-30 minutes.

Yeah, if speed is your only concern then it can be slower. I've never had it take more than half an hour or so, but again, I'm making it for one. For me the time isn't a big deal because it's just dumping it all in and pressing the button, no troulbe to just put it in a bit earlier. YMMV, of course.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My Zoji has a 'quick' option that does it in 30 minutes. But umami setting definitely takes 1.5 hours.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Speed's not my ONLY concern, but I do make a lot of weeknight meals and when I don't get home until 6 or 7pm, quicker rice really helps.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

They've got a solid timer, fwiw; you can dump everything in in the morning and have everything ready when you get home. Extra soak time is not going to hurt a thing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

neongrey posted:

They've got a solid timer, fwiw; you can dump everything in in the morning and have everything ready when you get home. Extra soak time is not going to hurt a thing.

Yeah, that is one of the benefits of the computer, it can tell how far along the rice is so it will compensate for the soak time. You can dump in rice and water, close it up and set it to have the rice ready in say 8 hours and it will start early enough that eight hours later it will have just finished cooking maybe 20 minutes ago and your rice will be perfect every time. It can also keep the rice near perfect for like 8+ hours on warm mode so if you are an hour late or something it's no problem.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

fart simpson posted:

Generally the following features work their way into rice cookers at that price point (ignoring large resturant ones):

1. Pressure cooking for softer rice
2. Plat infused bowl for sweeter rice
3. Steel bowl so you can scorch the rice on the bottom, for people who like having crispy bits
4. Induction Heating. More immediate, consistent heat for more even cooking of rice.
5. Steamless. (This one is a Mitsubishi feature, not Zojirushi) Steamless allows users to put the cooker anywhere, which has more value in space-limited Japanese households.

I'm not sure if 1,2, and 4 actually make a noticeable difference. 3 and 5 are personal preference things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
So I have the green light from the significant otherfor a slow cooker now. Is any brand better reputed than another? Huge is important; no less than 6 quarts. Red would be nice, but big and reliable is more important than red.

• Locked thread