Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

2014-657 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rake your drat leaves jesus christ

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I tried to emulate some of the photos I've seen in this thread.

_DSC0066.jpg by ninetysevena, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

SHOP by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

2014-11-14 19.58.50.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

gently caress snow.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

NinetySevenA posted:

I enjoy this.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

elgarbo posted:

I enjoy this.

Yes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

NinetySevenA posted:

Ooh. Reminds me of one I took many moons ago:

Exit 1 by Cacator, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_6013 by s-bothun, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Just got back from a quick work trip to Las Vegas

The Riviera by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Santa is strapped posted:

gently caress snow.

So say we all

O'Brien Park near Grande Prairie by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

There's some really lovely scenery in this shot that I can't help but ignore because all I can see is that goddamn bird.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Hebert by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Hebert 2 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

elgarbo posted:

There's some really lovely scenery in this shot that I can't help but ignore because all I can see is that goddamn bird.

Interesting. I captured the bird on purpose but it does kind of dominate. One without it:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Merah by alkanphel, on Flickr

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Interesting. I captured the bird on purpose but it does kind of dominate. One without it:

Y'know I wasn't feeling the bird either, but it DOES seem kinda lacking without it.

Also it it just me or is it a bit crooked?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

SoundMonkey posted:

rake your drat leaves jesus christ

Too late now. I can't rake in the snow, I'd look like a fool.

2014-658 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

so geometric... love it!

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

DSCF9665 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008

IMG_2807

IMG_2821

IMG_2838

IMG_2797

IMG_2736

IMG_2733

IMG_2735

IMG_2765

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Capilano Sunset by ian.mrozewski

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Who can tell me about traveling/photographing in Iceland? I was laid off recently with a decent severance package and am considering traveling out of the country for a week or two. Iceland has been high on my list of places to go see and take photos of for a while now but I'm not sure how good this time of year or how good my chances of seeing the aurora would be.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Holy poo poo

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

MMD3 posted:

Who can tell me about traveling/photographing in Iceland? I was laid off recently with a decent severance package and am considering traveling out of the country for a week or two. Iceland has been high on my list of places to go see and take photos of for a while now but I'm not sure how good this time of year or how good my chances of seeing the aurora would be.

Been discussed a few times in this thread I think. I went last summer/autumn for ~3 weeks and drove around the whole country. Even with that timeline it felt somewhat rushed at times. I am not sure what it would be like at this time of year there are a few locals that could probably chime in. It was really high up on my list as well and even after visiting I still really want to go there. Super friendly people and was stunningly beautiful (when the weather is ok). Not sure about traveling at this time of year I would imagine it may be a bit trickier than when I went but I would imagine you should be able to see aurora. If you have any specific questions I will try to ask send me a PM if you want or reply here. David Pratt lives there (or at least he did when I last talked to him) and is probably a decent resource. I have to say I highly recommend Iceland if you are able to go.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TomR posted:

Too late now. I can't rake in the snow, I'd look like a fool.

2014-658 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

"yes, this is where i'll store the lawnmower over winter!"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MMD3 posted:

From what I've seen, most photographic opportunities are trendy eurotrash standing in front of fashionable cafes and or parking garages.

Make sure to spend at least six hours processing each image.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Sick

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Awesome!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Dread Head posted:

Been discussed a few times in this thread I think. I went last summer/autumn for ~3 weeks and drove around the whole country. Even with that timeline it felt somewhat rushed at times. I am not sure what it would be like at this time of year there are a few locals that could probably chime in. It was really high up on my list as well and even after visiting I still really want to go there. Super friendly people and was stunningly beautiful (when the weather is ok). Not sure about traveling at this time of year I would imagine it may be a bit trickier than when I went but I would imagine you should be able to see aurora. If you have any specific questions I will try to ask send me a PM if you want or reply here. David Pratt lives there (or at least he did when I last talked to him) and is probably a decent resource. I have to say I highly recommend Iceland if you are able to go.

cool, will let you know if I end up going so I can get some tips.

SoundMonkey posted:

From what I've seen, most photographic opportunities are trendy eurotrash standing in front of fashionable cafes and or parking garages.

Make sure to spend at least six hours processing each image.

??

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Forums user and occasional Dorkroom post poopinmymouth lives in Iceland also, and for a while he did shots of effete-looking european dudes standing outside cafes, which were of admirable technical merit, especially use of lighting.

Except then it turns out they all involved like enormous amounts of processing and dozens of layers and poo poo when in fact you really couldn't tell it had been processed much at all by looking at it.

(Yes. That, bro, is my cool forums story.)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

SoundMonkey posted:

Forums user and occasional Dorkroom post poopinmymouth lives in Iceland also, and for a while he did shots of effete-looking european dudes standing outside cafes, which were of admirable technical merit, especially use of lighting.

Except then it turns out they all involved like enormous amounts of processing and dozens of layers and poo poo when in fact you really couldn't tell it had been processed much at all by looking at it.

(Yes. That, bro, is my cool forums story.)

Reminds me of Woot, except he pushes the post processing insanity button harder.

I went to Iceland a few years ago, I drove around the ring road in 10 days and pretty much only shot slides :snoop:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrstudent/sets/72157626863719727/

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You guys don't spend 6+ hours on processing? pffft

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MMD3 posted:

Honestly, right now is a pretty bad time of year to go to Iceland to do photography: there's 6.5 hours of sunlight per day at the moment and the days are only getting shorter. When I went in early June 2012 there were 23.5 hours of sunlight per day...

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Soho, London

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

MrBlandAverage posted:

Honestly, right now is a pretty bad time of year to go to Iceland to do photography: there's 6.5 hours of sunlight per day at the moment and the days are only getting shorter. When I went in early June 2012 there were 23.5 hours of sunlight per day...

Unless you want to get 100000 aurora shots I suppose.