Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't have a ticketing system, so therefore I have no tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

An inter-school mail came in :

A Thank-you card from a 6th grade class who had typed up some reports yesterday on a laptop cart that didn't have a printer. I deployed a printer package for the classroom they were in so they could send their reports to the teacher's printer.

:unsmith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Nerdrock posted:

A Thank-you card from a 6th grade class who had typed up some reports yesterday on a laptop cart that didn't have a printer. I deployed a printer package for the classroom they were in so they could send their reports to the teacher's printer.

That would make my loving year.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nerdrock posted:

The cynic in me notices that they didn't print the card and suggests that it is a passive-aggressive complaint that you didn't solve the problem.

(Actually, 6th graders are more mature than the typcial middle manager who would do this)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

spog posted:

The cynic in me notices that they didn't print the card and suggests that it is a passive-aggressive complaint that you didn't solve the problem.

(Actually, 6th graders are more mature than the typcial middle manager who would do this)

"Sir, why is my annual review done in crayon on construction paper?"

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

spog posted:

They could have scanned it, then emailed it to him.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nerdrock posted:

That's the kind of thing you have framed and hang up next to important certifications.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Yeah, Mr. Anderson, "thanks" for fixing the printer so we can all turn in our reports

You jerk

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It would have been very difficult for me not to make the "Call me Neo" joke because I'm pretty sure none of those kids have seen The Matrix.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GreenNight posted:

It would have been very difficult for me not to make the "Call me Neo" joke because I'm pretty sure none of those kids have seen The Matrix.

All those kids were born AFTER The Matrix was released.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

All those kids were born AFTER The Matrix was released.

Yes, I understand that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GreenNight posted:

I would have, but I couldn't figure out how to shoehorn in a joke in the form of "How can you fill out an error form, Misssterrr Anderrrsonnnn, if you cannot... print? <printer fuser melts into itself>"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Volmarias posted:

I would have, but I couldn't figure out how to shoehorn in a joke in the form of "How can you fill out an error form, Misssterrr Anderrrsonnnn, if you cannot... print? <printer fuser melts into itself>"

"How about this, I submit a ticket, and you give me my print queue."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Kurieg posted:

"How about this, I submit a ticket, and you give me my print queue."

Or the edited-for-TV version: "I submit a tickedoodletoot...."

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

My aunt just posted to facebook a photo of a screen showing the "Haha, you just got hosed by CryptoWall" message.

:negative:

It may be CryptoWall 1.0, so it may have done the insecure delete.

[Edit] Nope, it's 2.0. Offline/nonmounted backups are her only hope now.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 14, 2014

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

What're you SOC types using for cases. JIRA? ArcSight's built in cases?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So last night our primary Internet provider decided that Wednesday night is the prime evening to change out network equipment. Since I'm on the road again I haven't gotten the full story, but they hosed up BGP to the point where we couldn't even failover to our DR site. I had to manually stop my phone from checking my work mail box, it's currently at 7700 messages from equipment going on/offline.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

internet jerk posted:

What're you SOC types using for cases. JIRA? ArcSight's built in cases?

DFLabs here.

edit: Also: gently caress ArcSight

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 14, 2014

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't know what SOC means? But we have ArcSight and hate it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Pyroclastic posted:

My aunt just posted to facebook a photo of a screen showing the "Haha, you just got hosed by CryptoWall" message.

:negative:

It may be CryptoWall 1.0, so it may have done the insecure delete.

[Edit] Nope, it's 2.0. Offline/nonmounted backups are her only hope now.

I'm eagerly awaiting the variant that nukes Mozy/crashplan/backblaze/Azure/iCloud backups via keylogging and some automated commands. Because obviously that's the next most logical step.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

less than three posted:

Security Operations Center.

I think he's asking what case management software the IT Security team uses for Incident Response.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Mustache Ride posted:

Security Operations Center.

I think he's asking what case management software the IT Security team uses for Incident Response.

Pretty much. We use JIRA right now.

less than three posted:

Why? Arcsight is pretty great if you're feeding it good content.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

spog posted:

I thought this exact same thing.

That said, the signatures on the inside were what shocked me most. Cleaner and more legible than any adult i've seen wield a writing utensil in the last decade.

This card is indeed being posted on my murderous-rampage-prevention spot, right next to this :

Meanwhile :

A Network Came down.

I'm working on deploying some Dell desktops to a new lab. We got WDS going and the systems have been imaged and software deployed to them. THEN : after sitting there for a day, most of them not only corrupt their DHCP reservations, but send so many requests for an IP address that brought down 2 of our 3 loving wireless controllers , and severely cripped the wired network to boot.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 14, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For hysterical reasons we have two AD domains, where most servers are on one domain and all workstations are on the other. (I don't work with AD administration here, don't blame me)

Guess who just lost the trust relationship between two domains? :suicide:

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
Awesome. Just got the very important signature sheets for all computer thingies of this year's batch (120 sheets) that I have to get everyone who got the thingies to sign, but wait, this years we've added one very important field: the owner's supervisor signature. So excuse me mrs CFO, could you please sign these 50 sheets of paper for no goddamned reason at all? Fun, fun, fun.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

For hysterical reasons we have two AD domains, where most servers are on one domain and all workstations are on the other. (I don't work with AD administration here, don't blame me)

Guess who just lost the trust relationship between two domains? :suicide:
That should literally take less than 15 minutes to re-establish. You remove the trust from both sides, make sure that the changes have replicated to all of your AD sites, then re-establish through AD Domains and Trusts. You have a little down time but it's not the end of the world.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yep.. Except I don't have those rights, so I'm talking to the people who do, and they're insisting there's nothing wrong with the domains, and it has to be our services that are faulty.

Because when half a dozen web sites and services that use integrated AD authentication all fail at cross-domain authentication at the same time, (while authentication from within the domain works) that's obviously an application error.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zhiwau posted:

Awesome. Just got the very important signature sheets for all computer thingies of this year's batch (120 sheets) that I have to get everyone who got the thingies to sign, but wait, this years we've added one very important field: the owner's supervisor signature. So excuse me mrs CFO, could you please sign these 50 sheets of paper for no goddamned reason at all? Fun, fun, fun.

Need to adopt the Japanese practice of using stamps. What's that? 50 sheets? THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
A ticket came in. "Printer is burning, send someone ASAP."

The fuser heating rod had gotten stuck and kept the fuser in a perpetual heating state. It got so bad that it melted part of the main control board, along with the finisher entrance.

It's my new favorite printer.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Oyster posted:

The fuser heating rod had gotten stuck and kept the fuser in a perpetual heating state. It got so bad that it melted part of the main control board, along with the finisher entrance.

This post is useless without pictures.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oyster posted:

The elusive literal "lp1 on fire"

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Oyster posted:

I'm hoping someone had at least unplugged it before you got there?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm hoping someone had at least unplugged it before you got there?

It had been, yes. Took me about a half hour to get there with a new fuser, but the smell of melting electronics still permeated the place. Took three days to get and install all the parts that had been damaged.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Update:

Creepyguys office has been purged. Walls are empty. Desk is gone.

Recovering files on his PC now. He deleted everything except for his bikini girls background images folder. It has almost 1200 images in it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Antioch posted:

My queue is empty. The pending and unassigned queue is empty. This hasn't happened to me in... 6 years? 7? I don't even remember. Am I fired now? Do I get promoted, like a level up?

Fired, obviously; if there's no tickets why do they have IT? :colbert:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Mustache Ride posted:

edit: Also: gently caress ArcSight

ArcSight's case system is such a tacked on piece of poo poo. Glad I don't have to use it for that.

ArcSight's everything else is pretty slow an randomly locks up for a few seconds to a minute, but I'll shank anyone that tries to take it away from me at this point. As much as I love Unix tools I don't want to go back to greping through logs from a dozen different sources and correlate the results myself.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

Yep.. Except I don't have those rights, so I'm talking to the people who do, and they're insisting there's nothing wrong with the domains, and it has to be our services that are faulty.

Because when half a dozen web sites and services that use integrated AD authentication all fail at cross-domain authentication at the same time, (while authentication from within the domain works) that's obviously an application error.
We use an internally-developed Oracle webapp for timekeeping. It went down in the middle of last month, every PC that tried to load the site just showed a blank page. Viewing the HTML source showed it was indeed just a blank page with no body content. The app admins still insisted everything looked fine on the server and it must be a network/desktop issue blocking the site from loading. This went on for weeks.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Oyster posted:

It had been, yes. Took me about a half hour to get there with a new fuser, but the smell of melting electronics still permeated the place. Took three days to get and install all the parts that had been damaged.

Let me tell you how I'd fix this *pitches fire printer in trash*

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Knormal posted:

We use an internally-developed Oracle webapp for timekeeping. It went down in the middle of last month, every PC that tried to load the site just showed a blank page. Viewing the HTML source showed it was indeed just a blank page with no body content. The app admins still insisted everything looked fine on the server and it must be a network/desktop issue blocking the site from loading. This went on for weeks.

poo poo like this and the AD story earlier are why packet captures are your best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Galler posted:

ArcSight's case system is such a tacked on piece of poo poo. Glad I don't have to use it for that.

ArcSight's everything else is pretty slow an randomly locks up for a few seconds to a minute, but I'll shank anyone that tries to take it away from me at this point. As much as I love Unix tools I don't want to go back to greping through logs from a dozen different sources and correlate the results myself.
We're a Splunk hardmode shop, so combining logs is my bread and butter, but after I've built my triggering alerts I just have them feed directly into DFLabs and work the case that way. So it's more of an automated process rather than a repeated one.

We were talking with Netflix to get their automated FIDO system to handle the easy reimage stuff like Malware callbacks, but they basically shut down their ITSec group so we're going to have to build it ourselves now.

• Locked thread