Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

KildarX posted:

I got an etiquette thing to ask. I'm training at my current gym and my contract is almost up, I wanna continue grappling at my current school, because I made some friends and the instructors are chill but I wanna go learn boxing, and the boxing gym I'm looking at has a nogi and BJJ school attached to it. Their terms would give me unlimited classes in both of these +boxing for only 20$ more(it would be much closer and a tiny bit cheaper.)

My question is: is it a faux paux to train at two schools at the same time? Should the instructors be cool with this? What if I want to start competing(I don't currently and the first school doesn't compete or have a team).

You'd have to ask your current coach first, maybe. Some places are cool with it, and others are very very not cool with it. I was doing some training with another coach on a night my club isn't open, and I was told that it was a 'bit of a problem', and 'could I stop doing it'. I like my current club, they've been good to me, so if it's a problem for them, then fair enough. I wish it wasn't that way, and I personally think it's a throwback to the old days of martial arts, but them's the breaks.

Like I say, I know other places that are cool with it, as it helps you become more rounded, but it varies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Decades posted:

For the past couple years I've gone to Williamsburg MMA, just one L stop away from your location, and I think it could be a great fit. It caters to all fitness and experience levels and I've trained alongside the full spectrum from professionals to moms. At the introductory level it's got a boxing/muay thai class, a bjj/judo/wrestling class, and a stength & conditioning/yoga based crosstraining class. Not a huge number of women as it's not the biggest school in general, but we've got a few key female regulars and a friendly welcoming atmosphere all around.

There's plenty of great schools in NYC so shop around, but do take a look at us in your search.

http://www.williamsburgmma.com/

I went and it seems pretty great -- very friendly and I like that I can take striking and grappling classes at no extra cost. However, I was taken aback when he said I wouldn't be able to roll when starting out, maybe not for a long time. I'm used to rolling on the first day or near it. From what you've seen, how long does this typically take for a no-stripe white?

mewse
May 2, 2006

KildarX posted:

My question is: is it a faux paux to train at two schools at the same time? Should the instructors be cool with this? What if I want to start competing(I don't currently and the first school doesn't compete or have a team).

It depends on your relationship with your coach. If they don't know who you are, then it would be pretty silly to ask them if they're OK with you training somewhere else.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The Duck of Death posted:

I went and it seems pretty great -- very friendly and I like that I can take striking and grappling classes at no extra cost. However, I was taken aback when he said I wouldn't be able to roll when starting out, maybe not for a long time. I'm used to rolling on the first day or near it. From what you've seen, how long does this typically take for a no-stripe white?

Uh, was the coach aware that you're not new to grappling?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

KildarX posted:

World War 2 happened. Hate of the Japanese is almost an institution in SE Asia

That's a gross simplification.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korea_under_Japanese_rule

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

No, a gross Simplification would be, the Japanese went on Holiday in SE Asia sometime in the 40's and now nobody likes Japanese Tourists.

quote:

If they don't know who you are, then it would be pretty silly to ask them if they're OK with you training somewhere else.

Yea, if I didn't have any personal investment in the Gym, I would have just let my contract run out, not resign, and go somewhere else.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

A gym shouldn't care if you train somewhere else, as long as you're still paying your fees and not trying to steal students. One girl was at another kickboxing gym, came to check out ours and got kicked out of her gym. Now she's our student and we're getting her money. It's really dumb because this city is very gym-dense. If there was only two gyms in town, I could see the issue.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

The Duck of Death posted:

Glad you liked the vibe, and good question. The school does lean a bit conservatively on the safety side, which I tend to appreciate, particularly since there's a large amount of live takedown training in not the biggest space. When I started I was able to roll positionally without takedowns or subs more or less right away, but I think that may have been scaled back since because the beginner and advanced programs have gotten slightly more segregated.

So a little hard to say honestly. Also curious whether you described your experience. Have you spent time training anywhere in particular, or do you mean you've tried intro classes at other places? I'd imagine that'd be a factor. That said, if you're a bjj guy you might still be held back a bit for takedown purposes. I can't give you any definite answers that the instructor didn't, but just in general will say I think it's a place where patience pays off. All the best in any case, hope something works out for you soon.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

A gym shouldn't care

If a gym doesn't care about your progress and how you learn stuff, do you really want to train there? If all the coach cares about is the money, do you really want him/her as a coach?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Some gyms also compete very heavily and don't want to give too much away to rivals. And even if you don't actively give away information your style is going to give them reps and insight.

Not a thing if you're a white belt or if your gym isn't super competivr (or just keep competition in perspective haha)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Some gyms also compete very heavily and don't want to give too much away to rivals. And even if you don't actively give away information your style is going to give them reps and insight.

In a world of Camcorders and the Internet[tm] this is still a thing?

mewse
May 2, 2006

KildarX posted:

In a world of Camcorders and the Internet[tm] this is still a thing?

Yes. "Don't post your fight videos on facebook because opponents will google you" etc

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If a gym doesn't care about your progress and how you learn stuff, do you really want to train there? If all the coach cares about is the money, do you really want him/her as a coach?

Most people would go to classes at another gym to fill in a hole that their primary gym isn't fulfilling. Like one guy said, his gym didn't have classes one night. Another guy said there was better boxing somewhere else. Those are legitimate reasons to get some training elsewhere. If they care about your progress, they'll let you.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
A gym "not caring" that you train elsewhere for a good reason is good, a gym not caring in general is bad.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So training Muay Thai I was sparring with a guy who kept switching to south paw and back doing Ali bouncing around type poo poo with his feet.

It was really sloppy and predictable (at least his) but still confused the gently caress out of me because I've maybe sparred one south paw person and it throws me the gently caress off. Not to mention someone who keeps switching back and forth. I kept trying to bait his switching of foot work into a simple lower leg kick or round kick. I felt like overall I did pretty good predicting his movements and probably landed an equal amount of hits on him as he did me.

Any other simple tips? Or for people who may or may not have a boxing background and like to bounce around?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm orthodox but I sparred with southpaws quite a bit. The game is always getting your left foot outside theirs. I've tripped and landed on my rear end multiple times jostling for that position.

Your left hook and right cross become your go-tos when you're fighting those sneaky bastards. Left jab doesn't work as well as on a fellow orthodox. Left hook the body as well.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
General advice: when people do weird poo poo you just do your thing and don't let them suck you into a mindfuck.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

So I moved cities just over a year ago and didn't start up karate again because of reasons. Finally got around to it because my partner was invited down by one of her work friends. Went in expecting to be supremely out of shape and rusty.

Turns out it was a bjj class instead, which I was more than happy with, and I had a blast. I am definitely out of shape but I will be heading back. Break falls aren't as much fun as throws, arm locks hurt and its amusing as hell to be thrown around by a 150cm lady who apologises each time she makes you tap.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

Some gyms also compete very heavily and don't want to give too much away to rivals.

Can we have dojo fights again pls!

Christoff posted:

Any other simple tips? Or for people who may or may not have a boxing background and like to bounce around?

He is offering his liver to you as a sacrifice to the Blood God.

Do what mewse says and left hook to the body.

edit: to avoid double post: dis guy has some loose hooks and straights

Ligur fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 16, 2014

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

A gym shouldn't care if you train somewhere else, as long as you're still paying your fees and not trying to steal students. One girl was at another kickboxing gym, came to check out ours and got kicked out of her gym. Now she's our student and we're getting her money. It's really dumb because this city is very gym-dense. If there was only two gyms in town, I could see the issue.

I never understood the idea of having just one gym to train at. Our judo gym lets anyone who wants to train to come in and fight as we run 4-5 times a week all year long while other gyms in the region are 2-3 times a week with no classes in the summer.

We did have someone, who was part of the judo gym, that comes back to steal students for his BJJ gym. He does this yearly. The instructors know so they don't ban him. They let him come back and he has to fight our National Medal Winning heavyweight Champ James MacManus. He doesn't come back for a year every time they do that.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
So I guess the IJF has decided to prohibit ranked Judoka from entering BJJ tournaments. I really don't know what they're trying to accomplish anymore, even from a business standpoint this doesn't make much sense and I worry that it will just further alienate Judoka from the rest of the grappling community.

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/international-judo-federation-prohibits-judo-athletes-to-compete-in-bjj-other-grappling-competitions/

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

A Wry Smile posted:

So I guess the IJF has decided to prohibit ranked Judoka from entering BJJ tournaments. I really don't know what they're trying to accomplish anymore, even from a business standpoint this doesn't make much sense and I worry that it will just further alienate Judoka from the rest of the grappling community.

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/international-judo-federation-prohibits-judo-athletes-to-compete-in-bjj-other-grappling-competitions/

:thumbsup:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

gently caress IJF

Also oh god my joints, been taking it easier after overtraining a bit and started slurping that fish oil, but it feels like I should take a real break, don't run or do burpees or anything, just swim and do non-joint taxing stuff like that. Can't find that php stuff (pcp?) Ligur mentioned, when I visited a local healt product store the clerk wanted to sell me some weirdo shark fin freen oyster capsules. The gently caress

mewse
May 2, 2006

Boxing has a similar rule. It sucks just as much.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

ManOfTheYear posted:

gently caress IJF

Also oh god my joints, been taking it easier after overtraining a bit and started slurping that fish oil, but it feels like I should take a real break, don't run or do burpees or anything, just swim and do non-joint taxing stuff like that. Can't find that php stuff (pcp?) Ligur mentioned, when I visited a local healt product store the clerk wanted to sell me some weirdo shark fin freen oyster capsules. The gently caress

Have you tried massages or foam rolling? Foam rolling has helped me when get rid of knee trouble.

The more dumb rules the IJF puts in the sooner they die and Judo can go back to awesome.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

General Emergency posted:

Have you tried massages or foam rolling? Foam rolling has helped me when get rid of knee trouble.

The more dumb rules the IJF puts in the sooner they die and Judo can go back to awesome.

Foam rolling? What is it and how does it help? As far as I understand, my knees hurt because the joints have tiny little rips in them from too much use and the fish oil supposedly helps the rebuilding of the tissue. Can excercise help with that at all?

Also you're right about IJF.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mewse posted:

I don't understand these sorts of rules that regulate cross training/competing or what ever, I could understand if a style was full of poo poo or dubious in its application["Krav Maga", "Ninjitsu", etc] did it because they don't want to be shown as full of poo poo/impractical, but Judo and Boxing are legit and showing skills learned through those styles can only bring more students to their respective schools?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

KildarX posted:

I don't understand these sorts of rules that regulate cross training/competing or what ever, I could understand if a style was full of poo poo or dubious in its application["Krav Maga", "Ninjitsu", etc] did it because they don't want to be shown as full of poo poo/impractical, but Judo and Boxing are legit and showing skills learned through those styles can only bring more students to their respective schools?

At least part of it is just insecurity. When our judo club started to have no-gi grappling classes as well, everybody was in with a real "gently caress yeah finally!" attitude, but after honestly the first practice session we only had two guys left, me and the coach. With a different ruleset and conditions (no-gi, kicks involved etc.) you have to adapt and learn so much no matter how good you are so it just was too much for 99% of the people when they realized how much they sucked. A bunch of people could easily beat me with judo rules no sweat but with no-gi and no ippon I suddenly was a real threat and people just dropped out. No matter how high ranking judoka you are, there's no guarantee you dominate a bjj match. Maybe IJF has that line of thinking behind it.

Mechafunkzilla posted some video about their sambo club where they practice basically every form of grappling in the world and people are on board with that. I'm very jealous of it and would want to see that kind of openess more.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can't find that php stuff (pcp?) Ligur mentioned, when I visited a local healt product store the clerk wanted to sell me some weirdo shark fin freen oyster capsules. The gently caress

MSM? I can't visit a drug or superfood pulver store here without having MSM all over the aisles. Bad luck there. That said it's not all bad, it if you start taking too much too fast you're going to spend a lot of time in the shitter for a few weeks :haw: MSM + Magnesium daily = oh boy...

mewse posted:

What rule? O_o

I tried to follow up and couldn't figure. Like, someone trained in MT or kickboxing can't enter amateur boxing contests or what?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

What rule? O_o

I tried to follow up and couldn't figure. Like, someone trained in MT or kickboxing can't enter amateur boxing contests or what?

*takes deep breath*

AIBA's website has been down since at least last wednesday, so I can't copy/paste the exact rule from the PDF, but I basically have it memorized because it's causing a lot of heartache.

The rule states: a competing amateur boxer may not participate in another combat sport.

Definitions for "competing" and "participate" are left to the reader. They do provide a description for "combat sport" and it's what you'd expect: 1 vs 1, grappling or striking sports.

As to the rationale, I can't really say. We don't want pro boxers in amateur bouts, everyone can agree on that, but many sports don't have governing bodies so it's completely vague how many matches an athlete has had, whether they were pro bouts or amateur, blah blah I dunno, I don't want to debate the rule here, you guys can do that.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
still in the OP :cool:

Back on the mat last weekend after (another) year off for injury. Almost puked but had a loving blast. BJJ is the best sport.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

So my bridgework tooth got knocked out of my mouth in randori and now I need a mouth guard once it is put back into my mouth on Friday. Do anyone have recommendations for boil and bite ones? I can get a mouth guard from my dentist but it is going to cost a ton as my insurance does not cover lab fees and might not be ready before a tournament next week.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

So my bridgework tooth got knocked out of my mouth in randori and now I need a mouth guard once it is put back into my mouth on Friday. Do anyone have recommendations for boil and bite ones? I can get a mouth guard from my dentist but it is going to cost a ton as my insurance does not cover lab fees and might not be ready before a tournament next week.

I've been using the same $10 Shock Doctor Gel Max mouthguard for nigh on a decade and it's served me pretty well.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I've been using the same $10 Shock Doctor Gel Max mouthguard for nigh on a decade and it's served me pretty well.

I have one of these as well for the last five months or so, seems to work although I haven't really been drilled in the mouth extremely hard so... v:shobon:v

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I think one of the funnies things about judo is that because it's so popular with kids a lot of the middle-aged parents go "Well poo poo, that looks too fun to pass on" and then start training too, so I end up teaching two generations of same families.

Two moms have been practicing for years and years and I grapple with them every month or so which means I can clearly see their progress and it really is a true wake up call when a middle-aged mother of four children has pinned you down and you, a young man in his prime, realize you can't get out no matter how hard you try. I think it's really loving cool. Would love to see some hot shot rear end in a top hat in the same situation.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I used a shock doctor one for a year or two, now I use a Sisu mouth guard a few pro fighters use their mouth pieces. They set pretty hard and a good fit first time round is important, but I can talk with mine in and I like it better than the shock doctor ones.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I have a Tapout mouthguard that was like 20bux and it's a good enough fit that I can talk with it and often forget I'm even wearing it. The heat & mold ones are good if you get the molding right. Plus if you don't you can just repeat the process.

Edit: Oh yeah Judo families are a thing for sure. As are jiujits families. Both gyms I go to have kids classes and it's pretty drat cool to see this one family where the dad is running the kids program, the kids are participating in the kids program and the mom is taking the adult's basics course. There's a lot of gi washing going on in that household.

General Emergency fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 19, 2014

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Thanks for the mouth guard advice. I am going to get a shock doctor from the local sports store when I get my tooth bonded in my mouth again. I rather not have to go through that experience again.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Speaking of mouth guards, is it normal to have difficulty getting used to breathing with a mouth guard while sparring? I've only used it a few times and I get winded far more quickly than normal when I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Verisimilidude posted:

Speaking of mouth guards, is it normal to have difficulty getting used to breathing with a mouth guard while sparring? I've only used it a few times and I get winded far more quickly than normal when I did.

I imagine the times you sparred without a mouth guard were quite different from the times you sparred with one. Or at least I seriously hope so :magical:

That said, at first when your conditioning isn't too great and your body and breathing is not used to coping with whatever you do for sparring, it might feel like you get winded faster, but you will learn how to inhale and exhale with a mouth guard in no time. Don't worry about it. You can accelerate the process by wearing a mouth guard at any given chance, like from the warmups on. Or watching Simpsons on TV.

• Locked thread