Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

White Dog Eggs posted:

If it was done well I reckon you could probably get away with it, no idea how it'd work though.

Well I think the floating bridge and anchoring the strings around the edge of the body is supposed to improve sustain more than any loss from the adjustable neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Green Day and Blink182 should be forced to record any new music they foist upon the world with real teenage punk guitars. Then the results would have at least one redeeming quality.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

gently caress Your Website posted:

Green Day and Blink182 should be forced to record any new music they foist upon the world with real teenage punk guitars. Then the results would have at least one redeeming quality.

I used to get really depressed when I discovered a new band that I liked only to find out they'd been broken up for years. I was distraught, for example, when I discovered The Distillers and realized there'd never be any more.

Now I just look at what Green Day has become and think about how much happier I'd be if Nimrod was their last album. Hell, even Warning would have been an acceptable outro. I'm now much happier there will never be another Distillers album. And holy poo poo does Spinneret suck.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Felt the same way when I discovered White Lion. Only to find several interviews from each band member saying they're not against a reunion, even Vito says he'll do it but its a diva case of, "Well... he has to initiate it".

Dr. Faustus posted:

P.P.S. Oscar I want to be your pal.

Well... ok.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I was distraught, for example, when I discovered The Distillers and realized there'd never be any more.

I'm now much happier there will never be another Distillers album. And holy poo poo does Spinneret suck.

Brody Dalle released a new solo album earlier this year that's pretty Distillers-y. Maybe take a listen?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Now I just look at what Green Day has become and think about how much happier I'd be if Nimrod was their last album. Hell, even Warning would have been an acceptable outro.
I would probably still like Green Day? Hard to imagine a world where that might be posible at this point.

Yeah kids get worked up when bands break up and Tv shows end, the perspective of age brings wisdom enough to know it's good some things come to an end. No punk band ever recorded a great sixth album, and whatever you're about to post as a rebuttal: no, that album sucks. It sucks balls

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I think the RX Bandits got better over time as they moved further and further away from ska with each album.

But their not punk and do not count.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sockington posted:

I think the RX Bandits got better over time as they moved further and further away from ska with each album.

But their not punk and do not count.

I got mono at an RX bandits show. They're still one of my favorite bands though :unsmith:

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

it actually sounds really nice though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1RxQpS0eM

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Barn Door posted:

it actually sounds really nice though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1RxQpS0eM

his instrument says asslab on it

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
asslab

damnit you're fast

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I would probably still like Green Day? Hard to imagine a world where that might be posible at this point.

Yeah kids get worked up when bands break up and Tv shows end, the perspective of age brings wisdom enough to know it's good some things come to an end. No punk band ever recorded a great sixth album, and whatever you're about to post as a rebuttal: no, that album sucks. It sucks balls

I was going to counter with End of the Century, but, no, that was their fifth. Goddammit, Pleasant Dreams.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

I got mono at an RX bandits show. They're still one of my favorite bands though :unsmith:

:hfive:

I put "...and the battle begun" on my phone for every lunch break and sleep through it most days.

It now disturbs me to hear the songs out of order.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Fair Hallion posted:

that's my retarded teenage guitar story.

Record a cover of this on it.
http://youtu.be/d9ORimXBXLw

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

I was going to counter with End of the Century, but, no, that was their fifth. Goddammit, Pleasant Dreams.

:ssh: I originally put 'fifth' but edited because of End of the Century (and I was responding to a mention of Nimrod)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

:ssh: I originally put 'fifth' but edited because of End of the Century (and I was responding to a mention of Nimrod)

Hahaha, awesome.

(Insomniac is still my favorite Green Day album, I'm probably a bad person.)

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

WDE is super cool and I want to hang out with him (dude your stories are/must be amazing)

It's 1AM here and I'm digging mahogany splinters out of my fingers with a pair of tweezers whilst listening to a William Shatner album. That's my Friday night. Not very cool.
I guess what I'm trying to say is....

Fair Hallion posted:

the top of the 'knobs' was a circle cut of sticky-back white shiny plastic, so I could write something different in whiteboard marker, for each gig. so "ooh / Ahh", "love / hate", "arse / elbow" etc etc.

that guitar started off as a right-handed Hohner superstrat, but, I am left-handed. So after a period of playing this guitar strung upside down, I got fed up with the volume knob getting in my way. I was also inordinately annoyed that the lower horn of the body now extended farther than the top one. So my 17-yr-old brain hatched a plan. I was about to embark on my first guitar makeover.

First, I was going to even the score on that lower horn. To give you an idea of what I saw in my head, here’s a crude diagram. ( not much cruder than the actual cut job I did)

So I destrung it, unbolted the neck, took a handsaw (Coping Saw?) and began. It turned out the body was plywood, so wasn’t an ideal medium for my crude carpentry. The actual pots were turned up full, and pushed down into the body, never to be seen again. What remained were the 3 on-off toggle switches for the 3 pickups. The rebuilt guitar was terrible, the action was sky high, the neck didn't have proper support from the body any more (I could get a deep trem effect by shaking the guitar back and forward). I still played a load of gigs with it though. I didn't know any better.
The strap was also gaffa-taped on there of course, as per the punk/grunge stylings of the day.

Eventually it got a respray and became a blue amorphous blob

The nut? Cracked & fell off long ago. The replacement? An off-cut of chromed metal bar, about 6mm diameter. String slots? Nope. But the allen bolt locking nut held the stings in place.

The tuner for the low E got smashed off at a gig. Find a similar replacement? Nope; use a wrong-sided, *acoustic* guitar tuner. It was actually excellent for quickly tuning down to ‘D’ for the songs that required it.

the back, lovingly smothered in stickers & warning tape.

that's my retarded teenage guitar story.

A thing of rare and savage beauty. It's awesome.

Stux posted:

but gently caress soapbar yeah, gently caress that stuff is horrific. both the weed and the pickups.

That reminds me, I've got a couple of stupid-sized Chinese soapbar pickups, they are DeArmond sized and have that lovely 'cancer plastic' scent. Might put them in the goontar.

The body of the goontar was going to be surfboard shaped with random pointy bits right? I have nothing to do tomorrow but wait in for a parcel. Might knock up a template.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

As long as it's got room for that donghandle.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Allen Wren posted:

As long as it's got room for that donghandle.

It cannot be any other way.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

well actually

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

husker du - warehouse

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
ugly keyboard/synth time

membrane keyboards :gonk:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The wasp is super fun. My friend found one on the street and it worked great.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

I'm Crap posted:

ugly keyboard/synth time

membrane keyboards :gonk:

loving would

i have an epiphone les paul classic whatever that was cheap and i was 16 that i don't really like anymore. the neck wants to sink when i play and i hate that glossy poo poo on the back. the knobs fell off and i don't care because i never use them anyway. should i sell it and get some rondo thing?

perhaps i should come to terms with the fact that i don't care that much about playing guitar anyway, i just like making horrible screeching dead cat noises

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 15, 2014

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Snowy posted:

The wasp is super fun. My friend found one on the street and it worked great.
Whoa, that's rad. Don't they change hands for decent money nowadays?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

loving would

i have an epiphone les paul classic whatever that was cheap and i was 16 that i don't really like anymore. the neck wants to sink when i play and i hate that glossy poo poo on the back. the knobs fell off and i don't care because i never use them anyway. should i sell it and get some rondo thing?

perhaps i should come to terms with the fact that i don't care that much about playing guitar anyway, i just like making horrible screeching dead cat noises

You can rub gloss finish down to a satin pretty easy with som fine steel wool. Feels much nicer to play on. Oh, and if you want to make noise get a fuzz-box. One of those with lots of knobs on.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

earlier this year i got devo to sign my cheesy lil pocket synths

now every time i change batteries i see mark mothersbaugh's scrawl that says MARK LOVES TOY NOISE YES TO TOY NOISE on the back

i was thinking of getting one of those rondo panda guitars and making it pick up radio signals, i asked in ml, they said unshielding the electronics should do the job, but i want to control it, not have it do it all the time

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

earlier this year i got devo to sign my cheesy lil pocket synths

now every time i change batteries i see mark mothersbaugh's scrawl that says MARK LOVES TOY NOISE YES TO TOY NOISE on the back

i was thinking of getting one of those rondo panda guitars and making it pick up radio signals, i asked in ml, they said unshielding the electronics should do the job, but i want to control it, not have it do it all the time

two sets of cabling, one shielded, one unshielded, hooked up to a switch

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

need advice on cleaning my frankenjazzmaster. i remember mineral spirits but what about leftover residue? hope me!

edit: VVVV doesn't that leave a sticky residue *shrug* VVVVV

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 15, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

fyodor posted:

need advice on cleaning my frankenjazzmaster. i remember mineral spirits but what about leftover residue? hope me!

just loving go at it with lemon oil or something i don't know.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

oh apparently it matters that i have a maple fretboard and neck?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i've never seen a guitar i actually liked or thought was interesting, they all look the loving same to me and the ones that try to be different are hideous too. ok well i like bob 1's labaye 2x4

strat, yawn. tele, slightly less yawn but only because jonny greenwood plays and beats the gently caress out of his. sg, don't care. les paul, don't care

i'm mostly a (godawful) bass player and im ashamed at how tacky basses and bassists are

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 15, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

fyodor posted:

oh apparently it matters that i have a maple fretboard and neck?
don't use lemon oil or any kind of oil on maple

i've never seen a guitar i actually liked or thought was interesting, they all look the loving same to me and the ones that try to be different are hideous too

strat, yawn. tele, slightly less yawn but only because jonny greenwood plays and beats the gently caress out of his. sg, don't care. les paul, don't care

i'm mostly a (godawful) bass player and im ashamed at how tacky basses and bassists are

you're probably not even 30 and you're already crotchety lmao

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

muike posted:

you're probably not even 30 and you're already crotchety lmao

im just mad because i cant play guitar worth a poo poo lol

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

fyodor posted:

edit: VVVV doesn't that leave a sticky residue *shrug* VVVVV

I usually use naptha (lighter fluid) to take off adhesive residue and miscellaneous gunk - it's always worked pretty swell for me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah that's pretty good for lacquer and it gets the frets too

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

i've never seen a guitar i actually liked or thought was interesting, they all look the loving same to me and the ones that try to be different are hideous too. ok well i like bob 1's labaye 2x4

maybe it doesn't matter hat a guitar looks like as long as it isn't comically bad because they are a tool for making music and not works of art to be gawped at just a thought~

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

depends on what it's finished with

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
anyone who has an actually oiled maple neck and fretboard should know well enough by now how to take care of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Stux posted:

maybe it doesn't matter hat a guitar looks like as long as it isn't comically bad because they are a tool for making music and not works of art to be gawped at just a thought~

yeah thx for making my point

• Locked thread