Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

If the mother keeps her space on the bus, the wheelchair user is left abandoned in the situation you describe. Both options suck, but it seems like it'd be more manageable for an able bodied woman with a baby than for a wheelchair user.

As Pissflaps has said, there is a significant difference. Presumably the person wishing to board the bus knows where they are, and hasn't already paid. Once you start talking about who has the greatest 'need' for their journey the whole situation becomes sticky as gently caress. Are you going to start quizzing people on how important their journey is and if they have the means to fund alternative transport?

Sounds like Edinburgh has it mainly figured out. More than one space, and in the event of a conflict give the driver discretion to decide what to do including giving a free ticket for the next bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whys the Mayor of London traveling around America to pimp his book on Churchill?
I'm sure Charlie Rose had a guest vacancy.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What if someone is occupying the wheelchair space but just has a gammy leg and could fold their chair up and sit on a normal seat? Should they move to let an unfoldable pram on? Or someone with a more grievous disability?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I demand an exact hierarchy of bus seating priority. Think of all the wars that could be prevented with this tool.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Pop quiz, hotshot. There's a pram on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the pram is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do? What do you do?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Folding or non-folding?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Prince John posted:

What the hell is this? I really hope to god there is no truth to these allegations...

My money is on the owner of the Elm Guest House who died of an insulin OD in the 80s.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Shelf Adventure posted:

Pop quiz, hotshot. There's a pram on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the pram is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do? What do you do?

throw the pram out of the window, duh

e: if it is an inconsiderately positioned non-folding pram and will not fit through the window, shove it out the door

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

You should join the SSP, the only party that supports nationalised free public transport.

One of their PPBs was the first place I heard about such an idea and immediately thought it was grand. Think that was the time I voted for them.

I can't join a party at the moment since I'm still in Labour, but considering my CLP and both of the others in my home region have nominated Murphy for leader, I may no longer resist the wooing I've been getting from SSP quarters.

Pissflaps posted:

Again, I would caution against assuming that every mother - especially one dependent on the bus for getting around - is able to afford alternative means of transporting her child.

So you're in agreement with us it should be free then? Grand!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Prince John posted:

What the hell is this? I really hope to god there is no truth to these allegations...

I don't doubt any allegations since Savile. Dude wandered around Broadmoor hospital like a viking. Raping, pillaging and blatantly being evil and it was covered up every single time.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I love it when old people glare at my wife for sitting in disabled seats I mean she's too young to be disabled and where is her wheelchair or stick if she's disabled GOD.

Edit: she has lupus and APS. So her joints are affected. Just for context.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 14, 2014

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

thehustler posted:

I love it when old people glare at my wife for sitting in disabled seats I mean she's too young to be disabled and where is her wheelchair or stick if she's disabled GOD.

Edit: she has lupus and APS. So her joints are affected. Just for context.

Are you meaning wheelchair accessible seats or priority seats? Or do your buses not have both?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Acaila posted:

So you're in agreement with us it should be free then? Grand!

Well I was specifically referring to the travel system not the bus.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Acaila posted:

Are you meaning wheelchair accessible seats or priority seats? Or do your buses not have both?

Priority seats, would never take a wheelchair space. I'm Edinburgh too and our buses rock.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Acaila posted:

One of their PPBs was the first place I heard about such an idea and immediately thought it was grand. Think that was the time I voted for them.

I can't join a party at the moment since I'm still in Labour, but considering my CLP and both of the others in my home region have nominated Murphy for leader, I may no longer resist the wooing I've been getting from SSP quarters.

Allan Grogan joined, surely that's a sign.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Serotonin posted:

My money is on the owner of the Elm Guest House who died of an insulin OD in the 80s.

gently caress. Somehow I have remained blissfully unaware of the delightful (alleged, don't have me executed) details.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Regarding public transport its actually insane that metropolitan cities in the United States do it much better than us.

Chicago for instance, costs me one hundred dollars a month for unlimited journeys on the L trains and buses.

That's like what, the same as ten days of day travel cards in London?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Got back into the UK this morning after visiting my fiancee in America for awhile, and the first loving thing I see when I step off the plane is a stack of complimentary Daily Mails, each one with the simple headline "There Are Too Many Migrants". Nice to know nothing changed while I was away :unsmith:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
So it turns out that I'm going to Brussels for a week in December on an EU-funded tour of the various European institutions, all because I decided to pick a course on "Politics of the European Union" module this year because the things that I wanted to do had been filled.

Y'know, the EU isn't THAT bad...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

IceAgeComing posted:

So it turns out that I'm going to Brussels for a week in December on an EU-funded tour of the various European institutions, all because I decided to pick a course on "Politics of the European Union" module this year because the things that I wanted to do had been filled.

Y'know, the EU isn't THAT bad...

Now Brussels Spends YOUR Taxes On Holidays For Micky Mouse Students

vvvv Now Brussels Spends YOUR Taxes On Holidays For Foreign Micky Mouse Students

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 14, 2014

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

One of the other people going is from Bulgaria as well :ssh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Christ, we never had owt like that on my EU Politics course.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

To be fair, its 20 of us (from around 70 doing the two EU first semester courses that Glasgow Uni offers), and it seems to have been initiated by a Scottish Labour MEP, who have the right to use EU money to do stuff like this.

Sucks to be someone studying somewhere with a bunch of UKIP MEPs that wouldn't do this sort of thing though...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mister Adequate posted:

Got back into the UK this morning after visiting my fiancee in America for awhile, and the first loving thing I see when I step off the plane is a stack of complimentary Daily Mails, each one with the simple headline "There Are Too Many Migrants". Nice to know nothing changed while I was away :unsmith:
That's what happens when you spend your time migrating.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

I don't doubt any allegations since Savile. Dude wandered around Broadmoor hospital like a viking. Raping, pillaging and blatantly being evil and it was covered up every single time.

Between this and Elm Guest House, we're well past the point where a story pitch would be thrown out for containing too many cartoonish, unrealistic caricatures of the ruling classes and their celebrity favourites. Then again, it's been only two years since the US Republican Party ran a presidential candidate whose personal wealth and electoral funding were largely derived from child torture, so...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Between this and Elm Guest House, we're well past the point where a story pitch would be thrown out for containing too many cartoonish, unrealistic caricatures of the ruling classes and their celebrity favourites. Then again, it's been only two years since the US Republican Party ran a presidential candidate whose personal wealth and electoral funding were largely derived from child torture, so...

How did Mitt make money torturing kids? Did he stuff them in his magic pants?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm afraid the truth is far less funny and far more hosed up. Romney is a soulless piece of poo poo, and it's terrifying that he got as close as he did to the White House.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
^^ wow that was quick

Gonzo McFee posted:

One of his major donors ran what was basically a teen correctional facility where parents would send "troubled" teens to have their problems sorted out, for a large amount of money. There was some in the US and also in the Caribbean (to avoid certain laws). Eventually stories came out about what was going on and investigations happened, and there was a lot of abuse, sexual and physical, and some kids had died under suspicious circumstances.

Stuff like this http://wwaspsurvivors.com/mitt-romneys-special-interest/

There were more of these programs than just the ones that were connected to Romney.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

JFairfax posted:

Regarding public transport its actually insane that metropolitan cities in the United States do it much better than us.

Chicago for instance, costs me one hundred dollars a month for unlimited journeys on the L trains and buses.

That's like what, the same as ten days of day travel cards in London?

Edinburgh is brilliant for this. 48 quid a month and I can go anywhere any time on buses and trams.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Thanks for the links but I just want one day where I don't learn about a horrific abuse of the weakest by the most powerful. :(

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Prince John posted:

gently caress. Somehow I have remained blissfully unaware of the delightful (alleged, don't have me executed) details.

There's always more and it's always worse. I think most of these stories that in would have once believed were tinfoil are probably true. Like Ted Heath and Mountbatten and their interest in yachts. Also apparently Sidbey Cooke was procuring boys for this Westminster paedonting ring.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

LemonDrizzle posted:

That's true, and it would certainly be more upsetting to be kicked off mid-journey than to simply be denied access in the first place. However, it seems pretty clear that the disabled person's need is greater and that insofar as anybody's to blame for the conflict, it's the mother - she's the one who's opted to occupy a space set aside for disabled travellers and failed to avail herself of options such as a baby sling or collapsible pushchair that would have made it possible to avoid the problem.

Young babies aren't meant to go in pushchairs. They should be lying flat in a pram/baby carrier

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Serotonin posted:

There's always more and it's always worse. I think most of these stories that in would have once believed were tinfoil are probably true. Like Ted Heath and Mountbatten and their interest in yachts. Also apparently Sidbey Cooke was procuring boys for this Westminster paedonting ring.

According to David Cameron just this week we're all still conspiracy theorists for thinking that anyone in government knew anything about rampant child abuse. I imagine it's always going to be that way unless we get video evidence of Margaret Thatcher telling Jimmy Savile to stick to corpses.

Edit:

I mean it's not like she wasn't warned.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/thatcher-ignored-fears-over-jimmy-savile-knighthood-1-3004569#.VGaYJzzti_E.twitter

Then again this is a woman who had to have the concept of anal sex explained to her several times before she believed it was possible so who knows.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 15, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Then again this is a woman who had to have the concept of anal sex explained to her several times before she believed it was possible so who knows.
Did she agree to try it?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Did she agree to try it?
Yeah, she hosed Yorkshire.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Serotonin posted:

I have also heard these rumours, essentially that they used to use them and chuck them overboard basically. I would have said it was just rumour mongering in poor taste but now...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

Nothings going to change till we get past the election. The daily star seems barely able to contain its glee that actual fascists are gaining power.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I have a friend who was abused while she was in a Barnado's home in the 70's. The home regularly allowed a well known actor to pick up residents and pimp them out to celebrities and influential people. She was even raped in the home by the actor. This type of poo poo was endemic back then, and there is every chance it's still going on :(

I also have friends who were abused and pimped out while in other care homes around the country during the 70's and 80's, and after hearing their stories, there is nothing that I automatically disbelieve when it comes to institutionalised child abuse... especially after the Savile and Cyril Smith stuff has come to light.

Another friend is a care home manager for problem children, and she is completely helpless stopping the children there from being abused. It is illegal for the staff to physically restrain the children from leaving, and they are regularly picked up by the same men. She's photographed the men, taken down the number plates of the cars and has made repeated complaints to the police - yet nothing has ever been done to stop the abuse.

Savile was just the tip of a massive iceberg :(

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Twisted posted:

I have also heard these rumours, essentially that they used to use them and chuck them overboard basically. I would have said it was just rumour mongering in poor taste but now...

It's funny, but when ever anyone used to refer to Ted Heath as a 'confirmed bachelor' nudge nudge wink wink, we all assumed they meant he was gay and not that he was a paedo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What surprises me is how widespread this is. I mean, paedophilia isn't especially common as paraphilias go, is it? And yet every other major public figure from the '70s and '80s seems to have bee a nonce.

• Locked thread