Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I can't help but feel that this show would be much better if it had three or four more episodes to play with and develop their ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Jackard posted:

Same here. Is this normal for this time of day?

Nope, no it isn't. I ended up getting it from a different source.

This was a pretty good episode. The best parts were the Bolin and Varrick storyline and everything involving Prince Wu (oh, and Pabu for the five seconds we saw him).

And Kuvira appears to have added ethnic cleansing to her list of crimes. Thank God nobody's defending her anymore (and no, that's not an invitation to the posters in this thread).

Carlosologist posted:

I can't help but feel that this show would be much better if it had three or four more episodes to play with and develop their ideas.

This show seems to do really well with either really short stories (Wan's story, Roku's story) or longer seasons. They seem to trip up with stuff in between. Frankly, I'd rather have them be too ambitious and cram too much awesome stuff in than drag out boring stuff nobody cares about (pretty much all the romance).

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Sato posted:

And Kuvira appears to have added ethnic cleansing to her list of crimes. Thank God nobody's defending her anymore (and no, that's not an invitation to the posters in this thread).

I wonder how people would defend that.

"Oh yes she's putting waterbenders in camps but not as many as people say she is."

"They're not really gas chambers. They're showers that spray a treatment for lice-ticks."

"These non-earth benders just want people to feel sorry for them so that they can establish their own independent state."

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Why was the episode taken down off Nick's site?

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

My guess is technical issues.

Rosalind posted:

I wonder how people would defend that.

"Oh yes she's putting waterbenders in camps but not as many as people say she is."

"They're not really gas chambers. They're showers that spray a treatment for lice-ticks."

"These non-earth benders just want people to feel sorry for them so that they can establish their own independent state."

"What are they even doing in the EARTH Kingdom? They should go back to their own nations anyway. Kuvira is fostering Earth Empire pride after years of being trodden down by outsiders." :colbert:

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Steensma posted:

Season 3 and this season are among the best animated seasons I've ever seen. There are flaws, sometimes generated by the limitations of the 13-episode format, but it's not like Avatar was without its flaws either. When the dust settles, we'll be able to look at both of them as fantastic, but very different pieces of American television.

That's a good point on the Asami thing. It just felt like the scene was a bit too heightened, like it went from pleasantries to explosive drama in 20 seconds. I wish there had been more buildup, but they needed more time for the chase.

I don't agree. We already basically know what happened in 3 years. By skipping right to the drama they avoid wasting our time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The episode itself was fine and the dialogue was fine and everything was fine, but I'm really not getting over how un-dynamic some of the animation has been, both in this episode and the last. Individual frames are totally fine, so it's not the Studio Pierrot problem, the kung fu poses themselves are great, and even Bolin's scenes were good. But the scenes in Republic City felt like they were done by a different studio or something, they just weren't following very good animation principles. Korra blowing the two mooks into the train ceiling should be a sudden ABRUPT SLAM, but instead it was like she just lifted them up at normal speed and all of a sudden it hurts them. Same with the earlier scene where she earthbent at the car; instead of her SMASHING down on the ground it was like she gently slow-motion touched down.

There were some of the same lack-of-energy issues with the Kuvira fight last episode too that seems so uncharacteristic for this show, and I'm hoping it's not that they ran out of time and money for some of the scenes or something and are just saving their load for the big orgasmic finale. :shrug:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

The episode itself was fine and the dialogue was fine and everything was fine, but I'm really not getting over how un-dynamic some of the animation has been, both in this episode and the last. Individual frames are totally fine, so it's not the Studio Pierrot problem, the kung fu poses themselves are great, and even Bolin's scenes were good. But the scenes in Republic City felt like they were done by a different studio or something, they just weren't following very good animation principles. Korra blowing the two mooks into the train ceiling should be a sudden ABRUPT SLAM, but instead it was like she just lifted them up at normal speed and all of a sudden it hurts them. Same with the earlier scene where she earthbent at the car; instead of her SMASHING down on the ground it was like she gently slow-motion touched down.

There were some of the same lack-of-energy issues with the Kuvira fight last episode too that seems so uncharacteristic for this show, and I'm hoping it's not that they ran out of time and money for some of the scenes or something and are just saving their load for the big orgasmic finale. :shrug:

I think they're trying to show Korra's not at full strength yet. Normally she would be slamming people down but fighting is still a bit of a struggle. I don't think it's being portrayed as well as it should be and I could be totally wrong, but that's the impression I got.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Bolin and Varricks plot line is so much fun to watch. Having Bolin learn lava-bending is one of the best decisions they made, it makes his fight scenes so much more interesting.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VaultAggie posted:

Bolin and Varricks plot line is so much fun to watch. Having Bolin learn lava-bending is one of the best decisions they made, it makes his fight scenes so much more interesting.
It's also given him a lot more confidence and has made him the most likable he's been since the first half of Book 1.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Bolin + Varrick is absolute magic. Lavabending looks pretty drat awesome, and I love how Varrick just science'd up an EMP blast just like that! Highlight of the episode: Varrick & Bolin walking past their wanted posters, and he turns and grins at the guard. Also, very curious how many different kinds of hell will be raised in the swamp.

Also, Wu didn't annoy me nearly as much as I thought he would! I was generally a fan of the interaction, this time. Especially liked the short fight scene in/on the train; I like how metal bending is never as flashy as the typical bending styles we've seen in the series, but much more physical, with wires, roofs violently ripped open, metal barriers slowly curving in on people, and - oh yeah - the FLYING KNIVES. Still waitin' for that swordbender.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's also given him a lot more confidence and has made him the most likable he's been since the first half of Book 1.

I'm wondering if that's just due to lavabending. He did just spend the last three years moving up the ranks of Kuvira's army, gaining more respect and leadership opportunities as he advanced. One of his problems was that no one ever took him seriously (Mako treated him as someone to be protected, he was struggling to find his place, people were justifiably shooting down his awful ideas) so being taken seriously and finding a position where he felt he belonged probably helped too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I liked Varrick's electromagnet trick there, it was a great way to not have him be dead weight in a fight and it really played to his strength.

And lava bending was the best thing to ever happen to Bolin's character, wow. At first I was really unsure about the mechs being around, but they're a good device for getting around the space sword problem.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

It's back up now, just FYI! It's a good episode.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh gently caress no, they're stepping on Toph's turf.
They best bounce else they get hosed up.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Why does Mako wait til the last episode of every book to bust out the lightning card? That poo poo is a game changer!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Why does Mako wait til the last episode of every book to bust out the lightning card? That poo poo is a game changer!

It's not actually that useful. It's extremely powerful but has a long windup and is fairly easily avoided. Almost every time he uses it involves an unaware enemy.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

Also, very curious how many different kinds of hell will be raised in the swamp.

Also, Wu didn't annoy me nearly as much as I thought he would!

Enough that my guess is that Kuvira might end up going to Republic City for the rest of the vines she needs if she's chased off.

And do you hate puppies and rainbows? Wu is amazing. Though it seems this will be the last we see of him for a while. One of Mako's jobs was apparently watching Wu pee, I'm assuming to make sure nobody was hiding in the urinal.

Also, we finally heard about Omashu, at least in passing with the train going there. I wonder if the consequences of Kuvira going to the swamp will require Team Avatar to go to Omashu, considering how close it is.

ImpAtom posted:

It's not actually that useful. It's extremely powerful but has a long windup and is fairly easily avoided. Almost every time he uses it involves an unaware enemy.

It also drains a lot of chi.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

People kept theorizing that Zaheer is going to make an appearance this season as Korra confronting him would be part of the healing process. Perhaps he's imprisoned beneath Omashu in some sort creeping crystal prison. I could see some creative uses of constantly growing crystals as a good way of keeping him out of the spirit world and preventing him from airbending.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Deakul posted:

Oh gently caress no, they're stepping on Toph's turf.
They best bounce else they get hosed up.
Toph's the original metalbending animal. If Kuvira has any spiritual attachment to her bending left in her at all, this will be like... I dunno, the second coming of a very important figure to her. [Followed, thematically, by an apocalypse.]

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not so sure - in a place with a lot of metal, do you have to hit them directly?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

Yes, this. I'm finding I want more Varrick, more Bolin, and less Korra.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rosalind posted:

People kept theorizing that Zaheer is going to make an appearance this season as Korra confronting him would be part of the healing process. Perhaps he's imprisoned beneath Omashu in some sort creeping crystal prison. I could see some creative uses of constantly growing crystals as a good way of keeping him out of the spirit world and preventing him from airbending.

In the trailer they show Korra entering a building guarded by the White Lotus that is exactly as you describe so I wouldn't be surprised if you were right.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Does anyone think we'll be seeing more of the swampbenders? It'd be pretty cool to see them kicking Kuvira's rear end.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I really think they're just going to let Kuvira tear down the swamp. That's kinda the tone of the show. They establish an old thing as great, the bad guy destroys it. Everything is impermanence, guys!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Sato posted:

In the trailer they show Korra entering a building guarded by the White Lotus that is exactly as you describe so I wouldn't be surprised if you were right.

It would be hilariously ironic for Korra to go to Zaheer to get advice on how to take down a world leader. I hope this happens. :allears:

dj_clawson posted:

I really think they're just going to let Kuvira tear down the swamp. That's kinda the tone of the show. They establish an old thing as great, the bad guy destroys it. Everything is impermanence, guys!

If you think about it, it fits right in with the modernist era and tone in the show. The modern age destroyed, devalued, and deconstructed everything from the 19th and 18th centuries. Illusions about what was right, and sacred, and impermeable, like imperialistic notions of colonialism, and the dependability and justness of rulers, leaders, and kings, were shattered by events like the World Wars, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. Newtonian/Cartesian notions of a logical universe were broken down by developments in mathematics, philosophy, art, and quantum mechanics.

The same thing is happening to the Avatar World's traditions and symbols. The Earth Kingdom's monarchy was revealed to be a corrupt, fragile sham -- this was shown by the destruction of Ba Sing Se's walls. The Avatar is a pop culture figure. Lightningbending is used by proletarian industrial workers to power cities. It all kind of fits in neatly with the 20th century zeitgeist that's been shown in the show.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 14, 2014

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

meristem posted:

I'm not so sure - in a place with a lot of metal, do you have to hit them directly?

Or water, we saw that be lethal last season.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

dj_clawson posted:

drat it, you're probably right and Toph's going to :vd: in the most anticlimactic way possible.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Also anyone notice that Avatar is inadvertently turning into James Cameron's Avatar? A bunch of militant technologists are going to tear down a tree with spiritual powers in order to fuel their war machine.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

It would be hilariously ironic for Korra to go to Zaheer to get advice on how to take down a world leader. I hope this happens. :allears:

Oh hell yes.

"Okay, so, get ready to have a one-liner prepped for the tyrant's ironic demise. Like... Your evil plans are put on ICE! And then you stab 'em with an icicle."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So it wasn't enough that the villain of this season is literally Hitler, we also had to go full holocaust mode and have her moving non-earthempire nationals into prison camps? Okay.

Also Steve Blum, I love you man, but you seriously need to increase your range a bit. I had you pegged as that firebender's voice the second he opened his mouth. :v:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Swear to god, if Toph does anything but frag Kuvira in a match-up, imma write some angry words on the Internet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
$10 says Toph rocks the poo poo out of Kuvira, and just as she's about to end the fight Baatar Jr rolls up with Suyin as a hostage, and Toph surrenders to be captured or "killed".

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Did the character Steve Blum voice look a little like Spike from Cowboy Bebop?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Tpoh will beat the poo poo out of a lot of people, almost defeat Kuvira and then get shot by the dubstep cannon. Alternatively, sudden Metal Gear.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Toph is definitely going down in a blaze of glory or surviving and returning in the finale. Varrick continues his renaissance to an actual person and keeps being incredible.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

For some reason the first character that popped into my head was Wan, but you're probably right considering how the creators loved Cowboy Bebop.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sydin posted:

Also Steve Blum, I love you man, but you seriously need to increase your range a bit. I had you pegged as that firebender's voice the second he opened his mouth. :v:

Mraagvpeine posted:

You mean Wan 2.0?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ufarn posted:

Swear to god, if Toph does anything but frag Kuvira in a match-up, imma write some angry words on the Internet.

Personally I hope they're basically equals, or nearly so - if Toph has to try and guard the tree, maybe Kuvira can get some shots in she wouldn't otherwise. Hell, maybe Toph succeeds in protecting the tree, and Kuvira has to go to republic city to get more vines or something.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sydin posted:

So it wasn't enough that the villain of this season is literally Hitler, we also had to go full holocaust mode and have her moving non-earthempire nationals into prison camps? Okay.

There is almost 0% chance Steve Blum wasn't asked to guest star as Not Spike Spiegel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Blum has range, it's just he's always explicitly asked to use one of like two or three voices.

Also Kuvira's Hitler Number shot up at least 10 on the ethnic cleansing reveal.

• Locked thread