Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inco posted:

Fishing is boring and annoying in real life, so I don't get why developers keep putting it in their games.

There's a lot of wrong things posted on this thread but bad mouthing fishing is incredibly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm finally playing Halo 4 for the first time, thanks to the Master Chief Collection that came out today. My first major gripe... I'm guessing was a common one? I purposefully didn't read anything about the game before now.

These new enemies... specifically the Promethean Knights, take SO many hits. And they're aided and teleported by these flying guys that are as hard to hit as Drones, but can take way more damage. And in itself, this wouldn't be so bad; but this game's ammo seems more scarce than any other Halo I've played by a huge amount. I'll run into a Knight with three flying dudes by him with no ammo, and it's just the worst. Bleh.

The collection is still a great deal. Playing the old ones at 60fps is real nice.

I thought that was a problem with all of the new enemy types in 4. They were all ammo sponges that took way too long to kill.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

I thought that was a problem with all of the new enemy types in 4. They were all ammo sponges that took way too long to kill.

I was going to go back and try to beat the game again. This was the reason why I quit the first time around.

Is it worth just dropping the difficulty so things are wet noodles? or should I just trudge through the sponges.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

m.hache posted:

I was going to go back and try to beat the game again. This was the reason why I quit the first time around.

Is it worth just dropping the difficulty so things are wet noodles? or should I just trudge through the sponges.

Frankly, I'd say it's not worth retrying the campaign at all, since it's basically just Microsoft beating the corpse of a dead franchise with a few hours' worth of limp, samey gameplay that's basically only there to accompany/pad out a "shocking" (read: bullshit) new story, half of which you can't even access within the game itself but can easily find on YouTube in all its fan-fictiony, semi-animated glory.

Really, if you're that interested in Halo 4's campaign, you're probably better off just looking up all the cutscenes on YouTube and saving yourself the trouble of actually trying to play it again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jesus Christ, Five Nights at Freddy's 2, could you maybe give me a little bit of time to get acquainted with you before Zerg rushing me with 11 killer robots?

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
I picked up Dungeon of the Endless recently and I love it, I can't find any problems with the mechanics. The gameplay is satisfying and forces adaptation in a really elegant way. I've sunk a lot of time on it and will sink much more in the future.

That said, I can't stand how every single character is a boring psycho version of Han Solo. The between-level dialogue on the elevators is so insipid, it makes me want to hand-gently caress my own rear end each time I beat a level just to get my mind off it.

"Huh, I haven't killed anything in a few minutes. Feels weird."
"I'm claustrophobic, sorry in advance if I fly into a psychotic rage."
"Whoever is humming that song. Stop it or I will kill you."
"So where's the button for the floor full of hot chicks?"

Really? You designed all these cool looking characters, a plethora of combinations for me to enjoy as part of my team of survivors and you're going to make them all spout the same wack vernacular, no significant dimensions of character to speak of?

Though I suppose it's rare for a video-game to actually be well-written.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Coolie Ghost posted:

I picked up Dungeon of the Endless recently and I love it, I can't find any problems with the mechanics. The gameplay is satisfying and forces adaptation in a really elegant way. I've sunk a lot of time on it and will sink much more in the future.

That said, I can't stand how every single character is a boring psycho version of Han Solo. The between-level dialogue on the elevators is so insipid, it makes me want to hand-gently caress my own rear end each time I beat a level just to get my mind off it.

"Huh, I haven't killed anything in a few minutes. Feels weird."
"I'm claustrophobic, sorry in advance if I fly into a psychotic rage."
"Whoever is humming that song. Stop it or I will kill you."
"So where's the button for the floor full of hot chicks?"

Really? You designed all these cool looking characters, a plethora of combinations for me to enjoy as part of my team of survivors and you're going to make them all spout the same wack vernacular, no significant dimensions of character to speak of?

Though I suppose it's rare for a video-game to actually be well-written.

Interestingly enough some of the heroes actually do have unique combinations if you use both of them. Like the Chef and the guy obsessed with pain (can't remember his name). That particular combination gives an actual passive skill for both after like 3 unique elevator conversations.

In general though yeah, some more elevator dialogue would have been good.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm finally playing Halo 4 for the first time, thanks to the Master Chief Collection that came out today. My first major gripe... I'm guessing was a common one? I purposefully didn't read anything about the game before now.

These new enemies... specifically the Promethean Knights, take SO many hits. And they're aided and teleported by these flying guys that are as hard to hit as Drones, but can take way more damage. And in itself, this wouldn't be so bad; but this game's ammo seems more scarce than any other Halo I've played by a huge amount. I'll run into a Knight with three flying dudes by him with no ammo, and it's just the worst. Bleh.

The collection is still a great deal. Playing the old ones at 60fps is real nice.

The weapon mechanics are conventional but fun. The vehicle sections are better when you're with a friend. One major thing that I think Bungie/343 learned from Halo 1 and 2 is that not every level has to be an 'Attack on the Control Room' slog through 20 different areas. The levels in 4 are much shorter and varied than previous games.

The best thing for Promethean Knights is to take out the Watcher first with a DMR or Light Rifle then find a plasma weapon and melt the Knight's shields off quick and try to get a double tap on that teeny head. Beating the game on Legendary is doable even without plasma pistols or storm rifles, but trying for example to finish the level Forerunner with Tilt on is drat near impossible even on heroic. People say Promethean weapons are better against shields, but that's not true at all.

Don't punish yourself. If you think Legendary is a slog, knock it down to Heroic, but don't even bother with the weekly challenges that ask you to do any level with Promethean Knights and Tilt skull on.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Nov 13, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I know we don't post game reviews here, but Stephen Totilo's AssCreed: Unity review just reads like 'Thing dragging this game down.txt' for every AssCreed game ever made.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think I prefer the original Binding of Issac, new is one full or far to many cheap gotcha hits or taking damage literally as you enter the room, I could generally beat the original with even trash but not here, lots of items mix very poorly with others as well.

I also apparently need to crank up my brightness to max or some poo poo because I literally cannot see certain enemies on dark floors till I eat a hit.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Rick_Hunter posted:

I know we don't post game reviews here, but Stephen Totilo's AssCreed: Unity review just reads like 'Thing dragging this game down.txt' for every AssCreed game ever made.

Ouch, he really enjoyed the much-maligned AC3 but hates Unity. Doesn't bode well.

e:

quote:

You'll need some good lockpicking skills to open some of them. That's fine. But to open the so-called Initiates chests? You need to be signed on for Initiates, Ubi's web-based Assassin's Creed series hub.

Oh, this poo poo again? Who can be arsed with hubs for every game? I think the only one I ever used was for Halo 2.

quote:

This wouldn't be so aggravating if there weren't other treasure chests that could only be opened if you have been using the game's iOS and Android companion app.
Seriously? Come on. I really want Unity to be good, I like Assassins Creed a lot but I'm not getting a good feeling from Unity. It just feels like the series has become an industry.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Nov 13, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The thing currently dragging the Choice Of games down for me is the way they limit your ability to explore the game. You have one 'save slot', and it auto-saves with each decision you make, so if you want to see the effects of a different decision, you have to start the game completely over. I'm sure it's a design philosophy, and I'm equally sure it's a sucky one.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
AC:Unity has a micro transaction that costs $99 dollars.

AC:Unity is amazing really, it should be game design curriculum from this point forward as to how you not make a game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alteisen posted:

AC:Unity has a micro transaction that costs $99 dollars.

AC:Unity is amazing really, it should be game design curriculum from this point forward as to how you not make a game.

Like 90% of games with purchasable currency include the $99 option.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Something_Special_For_Someone_Special

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
DotA 2 has items that are literal thousands of dollars but that doesn't really make it better.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Anatharon posted:

DotA 2 has items that are literal thousands of dollars but that doesn't really make it better.

To be fair aren't they just things traded between the community? Its not like Valve is actually selling "sparkly hat of sperg, 12,000 USD:pcgaming: " at the store is it?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Aren't those usually F2P though?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FredMSloniker posted:

The thing currently dragging the Choice Of games down for me is the way they limit your ability to explore the game. You have one 'save slot', and it auto-saves with each decision you make, so if you want to see the effects of a different decision, you have to start the game completely over. I'm sure it's a design philosophy, and I'm equally sure it's a sucky one.

This is especially annoying in games with multiple paths, but even in the most straightforward FPS or whatever, sometimes you just want to gently caress around and see what happens without it affecting your game. :argh:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alteisen posted:

Aren't those usually F2P though?

Yeah, but they're definitely mimicking a freemium game. They have the whole multiple currencies thing going on. Apparently you have a generic currency, one for upgrading equipment and then you have the premium funbux that can be used as a replacement for the former two.

It's all very scummy in freemium games, so I can't imagine what made anyone think it would be a good fit in a paid game. If the equipment carries over to a PvP mode, it'll also turn the first weeks of multiplayer in a "pay2win game".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Who What Now posted:

Jesus Christ, Five Nights at Freddy's 2, could you maybe give me a little bit of time to get acquainted with you before Zerg rushing me with 11 killer robots?

Wait, isn't the first one like, a month old? How the gently caress is there a sequel?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

khwarezm posted:

To be fair aren't they just things traded between the community? Its not like Valve is actually selling "sparkly hat of sperg, 12,000 USD:pcgaming: " at the store is it?

Sort of. They basically obey the hat barons when they say "Don't make this item available" again though. (see: Alpine Ursa, Dragonclaw Hook, etc)

Cleretic posted:

Wait, isn't the first one like, a month old? How the gently caress is there a sequel?

It's not a really complex game.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Cleretic posted:

Make hay while the furries are jerking off, as the saying goes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, but they're definitely mimicking a freemium game. They have the whole multiple currencies thing going on. Apparently you have a generic currency, one for upgrading equipment and then you have the premium funbux that can be used as a replacement for the former two.

It's all very scummy in freemium games, so I can't imagine what made anyone think it would be a good fit in a paid game. If the equipment carries over to a PvP mode, it'll also turn the first weeks of multiplayer in a "pay2win game".

Especially considering that Microsoft tried the same thing with all of their Xbone titles and got nothing but bad press and poor sales.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Cleretic posted:

Scott Cawthon works fast. Also, strike while the iron is hot. Didn't he take like 2 weeks to make the first one?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Luisfe posted:

Scott Cawthon works fast. Also, strike while the iron is hot. Didn't he take like 2 weeks to make the first one?

He also decided to release the game a month early because he didn't like his vendor's demo policies or something.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Oxxidation posted:

He also decided to release the game a month early because he didn't like his vendor's demo policies or something.

Works for me. I actually find the game really charming and I enjoy speculating about the story because I am a huge nerd. I avoid the community around the game as much as possible though.

E: FNaF1 came out in July. So a little under four months. And yeah, it's just 90% still images so it's not like he has to program complex animations or anything.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Nov 13, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The sailor moon arcade beat em up is one of the most bizarrely difficult games I've ever played, mobs are dense as hell, your standard combo does almost no damage, bosses can stunlock you into infinity and the timer is the least forgiving thing I've ever seen.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I got BoI: Rebirth thanks to PS+, and jesus gently caress did they just gut the difficulty or something?
I put 18 hours into the original and never beat mom, sat down with Rebirth and got to her on my first go, beat her on my second. Between that, those loving annoying hands that don't do anything more than annoy you by sending you back to the start of a floor, and the fact that the nice drawn art is now generic indie pixel poo poo, I'm not sure if I want to play any more of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

So I got BoI: Rebirth thanks to PS+, and jesus gently caress did they just gut the difficulty or something?
I put 18 hours into the original and never beat mom, sat down with Rebirth and got to her on my first go, beat her on my second. Between that, those loving annoying hands that don't do anything more than annoy you by sending you back to the start of a floor, and the fact that the nice drawn art is now generic indie pixel poo poo, I'm not sure if I want to play any more of it.

The difficulty is the same as ever. Turn it up to Hard if you're not being challenged.

And I'm still laughing at people who are mourning the trashy Flash scribble art, like this: ha ha ha ha haaaa

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

The difficulty is the same as ever. Turn it up to Hard if you're not being challenged.

And I'm still laughing at people who are mourning the trashy Flash scribble art, like this: ha ha ha ha haaaa

The only thing I'm missing from the original is the music. There's a mod for the PC version, but I'll wait until it's a bit further along before installing it.

That's not to say I don't like the new music, and there are some great sound effects like the discord that plays whenever the Devil Room is opened.

I've also been playing Rebirth on Hard from the start, and it definitely is an uphill struggle. There are very few health drops, but enemies still do the same damage, so you just need to get better at getting through unscathed.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ShootaBoy posted:

Isaac controls ten times better now which makes it so much easier to not get hit by enemies. That's probably why it seems easier.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ShootaBoy posted:

and the fact that the nice drawn art is now generic indie pixel poo poo, I'm not sure if I want to play any more of it.

I don't understand how people say this. The art is the exact same. The only thing that's really changed is the paintbrush, not the design itself.

Edit: Radically different art!

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Nov 14, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I don't understand how people say this. The art is the exact same. The only thing that's really changed is the paintbrush, not the design itself.

Edit: Radically different art!

In all honesty the art style works much better with vectors.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Xoidanor posted:

In all honesty the art style works much better with vectors.

Oh I agree, I personally prefer the hand-drawn look more than the pixel stuff, but it's not something that'd turn me off from the game or anything. Some people are getting really annoyed at it for some reason. Fun fact, the creator of the game prefers the pixel style.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
There's a filter option. Also, you BOI purists are nuts. I could never go back to that flash abomination.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The old vectors suck poo poo and were one of the worst parts of the old game, the new style is way better in every way. Just be glad they didn't go with the 8 bit idea that was floated around

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The only issue with the new art style is that some of the old item sprites were just run through a converter, while the new items all had new sprites drawn specifically for the new style. Since the old items wayyyyy outnumber new ones, some of the new ones look like total poo poo EG: Magic Fingers.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Oldstench posted:

There's a filter option. Also, you BOI purists are nuts. I could never go back to that flash abomination.

Purist? All I said was my experience with the game made it seem like the difficulty was really pared down, and that I liked the original art style. When it came out 99% of indie games were retro 8-bit things, and I found it a refreshing change up. Plus I haven't played BoI in like 2 years, I got my fun out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Oh I agree, I personally prefer the hand-drawn look more than the pixel stuff, but it's not something that'd turn me off from the game or anything. Some people are getting really annoyed at it for some reason. Fun fact, the creator of the game prefers the pixel style.

I think BoI was neat and I got it the day it came out but I don't know how people play it so much and little naggling things like that are enough for me to say "Not worth buying a second time" :shrug: