Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

ARM, x86, or (Other/)Embedded? This will help my internal assessment.

yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 213 days!)

...I'm so tempted to make a NOP joke here, but I won't, because I (now) already have. :v:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Where the gently caress am I going to park a yacht like that up here? Im still hoping that z600 makes another round on craigslist, 2 feet shorter and 9 inches narrower than el civico!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, 13...Peel P50.

Hang in there.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
In happier new today is my new truck's birthday. It's frame should now be chugging along and getting parts put on.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Motronic posted:

Alcohol. Lots of it.

Apply to both your hands and your liver.

We have the orange scented poo poo that dissolves it but my clothes are covered and all slimy at this point. Got the liver part covered though.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

No matter how hard I try- I read your post in H. John Benjamins' voice.

E: DANGAHH ZOOOOHHHEN!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I was told I sound like the son from Bob's Burgers. :(

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Too many fart jokes?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fucknag posted:

I did a massive double-take at that URL; it's one swapped letter pair away from being horribly offensive.

That said, German food is loving delicious. There's a place in Sanford called the Willow Tree Cafe, it's the full experience. German food, imported German beer on tap (drinking boot available, natch) and live polka music every night. I wish I could go more often.

Oh, yeah, there was live music, and I had a Spaten Oktoberfest on tap. They have 3 or 4 others, and quite a few more on bottles. My Schnitzel "Forstiner Art" (stuffed with ham and cheese, smothered in mushroom sauce) was awesome.

E: holy gently caress 13! That sucks bad. I sure can't offer any advice (I totally lucked out/stumbled into my wife of 16 years. I don't deserve her at all.) I think everyone else has pretty much covered it. Hang I. There and go do some stuff you like.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 14, 2014

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
drat, it's been a shitter of a season for relationships. I nope'd out six months ago.

Wasn't expecting our friends to basically ignore me after I left the city for a new job at an once-in-a-lifetime place, did the training to give tours around the facility, and offered to set up a B&B for everyone to come see :sigh:

meltie fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 14, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

meltie posted:

drat, it's been a shitter of a season for relationships. I nope'd out six months ago.

Wasn't expecting our friends to basically ignore me after I left the city for a new job at an once-in-a-lifetime place, did the training to give tours around the facility, and offered to set up a B&B for everyone to come see :sigh:

Thems just the VAX, Jax. v:v:v

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

DEC reference?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I was told I sound like the son from Bob's Burgers. :(

Better than sounding like Tina. :v:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I've realized I actually have no local friends anymore :sigh: I moved to NYC with the girlfriend( well, new rochelle but we both work in the city so whatever same poo poo) and a few of my old friends from highschool live here, but they all flaked out several times we were supposed to hang out. It's not like I'd really have time to hang out anyways, but it just kind of sucks :\. Also blows not having any work space for my car/bike, but I guess thats why I sold all my beaters and got new(er) poo poo.

The city owns pretty hard otherwise though.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Viggen posted:

Yesterday I sniffed a Cray X-MP.

meltie fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 14, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

DEC reference?

Nah. OpenVMS. :q:

meltie posted:

Yesterday I sniffed a Cray X-MP.

After you had a brief sit?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

Oh baby.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Viggen posted:

After you had a brief sit?

Well, no actually. Someone had seen fit to throw away the power supplies section, so it was oddly proportioned with no seat base :sigh:

It's really depressing to see the facility museum, with bits of a Ferranti Atlas, IBM 360 and a Cray, all gutted or with only the pretty bits hacked off for display. Why we don't ever keep all this stuff intact so it can still run I just don't understand.

Mmm. Gray cabinets.

Viggen posted:

Relevant AI content:

VAX 4000 running VMS in my Landie.

meltie fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 14, 2014

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
edit: dp

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have the configuration chart and ID plate from NASA Ames old Cray Y-MP M90. Hopefully I can grab the front panel from it as wall-art.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, I don't have much in the way of obscure hardware other than my Octane, the Atari STBook and my NeXT turbo slab. Wonder which I should fire up and take a Very Special AI Picture of.

I want a VAX one of these days but I think I might just buy a SparcStation 20 or something like that if I can find a nice one with cheap shipping. They're easier to store.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have an old DEC Alpha somewhere in my storage that still works :downs:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Wheeeeee, another bushfire but this time south! I loooooove me an Aussie summer.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

DJ Commie posted:

I have the configuration chart and ID plate from NASA Ames old Cray Y-MP M90. Hopefully I can grab the front panel from it as wall-art.

If you have the opportunity grab the whole thing at once!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, I don't have much in the way of obscure hardware other than my Octane, the Atari STBook and my NeXT turbo slab. Wonder which I should fire up and take a Very Special AI Picture of.

I want a VAX one of these days but I think I might just buy a SparcStation 20 or something like that if I can find a nice one with cheap shipping. They're easier to store.
Ford Focus STbook?

VAXen are becoming rare now. I used to have 14 of the buggers but quite a few of the pizza-box ones went to friends.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meltie posted:

If you have the opportunity grab the whole thing at once!

Let me get my truck...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I'm loving this Philae Lander drama unfolding. We need more cool stories like this to get people into space again (figuratively and literally)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

I'm loving this Philae Lander drama unfolding. We need more cool stories like this to get people into space again (figuratively and literally)

people don't want to look up anymore, they just want to look down at their feet.

Look at how the education system essentially demonizes critical thinking, math, and sciences.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

I love space and space travel :allears:

Reminds me, I need to do another entry in the Aeronautical Insanity thread for Atlas.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I love space and space travel :allears:

You and me both. Theres a reason behind going to college for robotics. that and you know the other reasons.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Memorabilia chat -- I have the door decoration/label for ZDTV's Control Room 2, along with the TechTV placard they put over the ZDTV label after the switch... way before G4 ruined everything.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

On more happy news, I just had 5 Guys for lunch. Bacon cheeseburger, and I did end up trying the fries again, small Cajun this time. A lot better. Guess something was off about the last time I tried the fries. Still no complaints about the burger. Oof, I'm full.

e:

cursedshitbox posted:

people don't want to look up anymore, they just want to look down at their feet.

Look at how the education system essentially demonizes critical thinking, math, and sciences.

Thankfully, they have math and sciences charter schools here, sponsored by tech industries who still need actual scientists and engineers. My daughter's going to one. They have a actual robotics program!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 14, 2014

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
No you were right. Their regular fries are horrible, and the Cajun ones own bones.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wait.. why is an SS20 rare? Also, get an old 040/50 chip-in-place upgrade for a Slab if you grab one. I had 96MB, 50Mhz, and 4GB in mine when I gave up and sold it with a Y2K compliant NeXTOS upgrade (3.x not 4.1) I actually used to use it with OmniWeb for HTML 3.2 compliance because it was one of the few strict browsers at the time.]

E: But it was an off-board overclock, and the SCSI drivers had a few int waits so every few seconds I'd have a half-second pause. It was still faster, dammit! :v:

I also had a few Multias that burned themselves out in a summer that hit over 80 degrees, even with fans on them (but no A/C). gently caress miatas multias.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I used to work at Five Guys and for my employee meal I'd tell the fry person to give me "well-done fries with so much Cajun Seasoning I choke on them". Seriously, asking for the fries well-done rules, and Cajun Seasoning rules, and I probably only have a couple functioning arteries left.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

No you were right. Their regular fries are horrible, and the Cajun ones own bones.

That may be the issue. I'm not inclined to determine this empirically, and will just stick with the Cajun.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Thankfully, they have math and sciences charter schools here, sponsored by tech industries who still need actual scientists and engineers. My daughter's going to one. They have a actual robotics program!

GOOD.
My parents suggested I take on religion of sorts to suicide bomb something. gently caress them.

fry chat: BURN THEM. BURN THEM TO A loving CRISP.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

My parents suggested I take on religion of sorts to suicide bomb something. gently caress them.

..and here you are the reverse. Rover Forensic Engineer. How the mighty have fallen had their parity reversed.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

..and here you are the reverse. Rover Forensic Engineer. How the mighty have fallen had their parity reversed.

Previous software revision ser damaged.

I've effectively retired from that poo poo a year ago.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

ALL CGTHREES IN THE HAUS REPRESEEENTTTT (after the 40 seconds it takes you to view this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

Wait.. why is an SS20 rare? Also, get an old 040/50 chip-in-place upgrade for a Slab if you grab one. I had 96MB, 50Mhz, and 4GB in mine when I gave up and sold it with a Y2K compliant NeXTOS upgrade (3.x not 4.1) I actually used to use it with OmniWeb for HTML 3.2 compliance because it was one of the few strict browsers at the time.]
SS20s are expensive here for some reason I'll never understand. So are Commodore 64s, inexplicably. One of each will come along and free me from the endless stack of Amigas that I drown in.

I've swapped a full 040 into an LC475 before, it made a beast out of that relatively slow machine. I don't think I have any 040s left unless I want to cannibalize that LC475 again.

• Locked thread