Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Phayray posted:

I just looked to see if I could find some recent info on how that's going and now I really regret seeing Kirk Sorensen's twitter.

quote:

Kirk Sorensen @kirksorensen · Aug 21
Obama Wind Farms Continue to Slaughter Adorable Winged Creatures http://freebeacon.com/blog/wind-farms-continue-to-slaughter-adorable-winged-creatures/

what an insufferable turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Obama Wind Farms? Hadn't heard of that firm before.

Myotis
Aug 23, 2006

We have guided missiles and misguided men.

Radbot posted:

Why should I, as an American, give a poo poo about raising the Global Poor's wages when mine are decreasing?

Because the deregulation of Western labour rights, exploitation of the natural environment and alienation of the global poor are all manifestations of the same problem: a sophisticated and concerted war being conducted against all of us on behalf of a transnational class of political and economic elites.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Myotis posted:

Because the deregulation of Western labour rights, exploitation of the natural environment and alienation of the global poor are all manifestations of the same problem: a sophisticated and concerted war being conducted against all of us on behalf of a transnational class of political and economic elites.

OK, so there's nothing we can do about it then. Got it.

I mean, there are ridiculous hurdles that Americans must jump through to influence their own country, what possible effect could we ever have on transnational elites?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Phayray posted:

I just looked to see if I could find some recent info on how that's going and now I really regret seeing Kirk Sorensen's twitter.

Goddamn, you weren't kidding.

Twitter is truly the grand platform of morons to out themselves as huge idiots.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
Man, I'm to the point now that I see something prefaced with 'Obama' and I know it's going to be conservative shitheelery. Turns out I'm pretty much always right. Thanks Obama!

Reading the majority of this thread has been one of the most depressing things ever. I mean, holy christ. Things are so, so bad and backed by solid science showing just how and why they're so, so bad and yet people like Arkane actually exist and are out there doing whatever they can to stick everyone's head in the sand.

And the thing is, people are listening. So when the 2014 hurricane season is far less dramatic in the Atlantic than in past years people go 'heh global warming' despite that very unpredictability being a symptom of the problem. Or hellish cold snaps 'heh global warming am i rite guys' despite changing weather patterns creating the opportunity for those conditions to arise more often.

The worst part of it all is people will still be going 'heh global warming what a joke rite boys' when they're sitting in the middle of a desert in Kansas as Florida gets hit by the third Cat. 5 hurricane in a month and towns in Alberta and Saskatchewan rebuild after yet another swath of tornadoes.

Because that's what the Deniers told them to say as Big Oil and Coal keep right on chugging on.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Radbot posted:

Obama Wind Farms? Hadn't heard of that firm before.

Leave it to these goddamn animals to disabuse people of the notion that they've found the worst filth the anti-science movement has to offer.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

The UN IPCC wants you to know that we're all still completely screwed.

quote:

“Continued emission of greenhouse gases will cause further warming and long-lasting changes in all components of the climate system, increasing the likelihood of severe, pervasive and irreversible impacts for people and ecosystems,” the report found.

In the starkest language it has ever used, the expert panel made clear how far society remains from having any serious policy to limit global warming.

Doing so would require leaving the vast majority of the world’s reserves of fossil fuels in the ground or, alternatively, developing methods to capture and bury the emissions resulting from their use, the group said.

On a related note, I found this article interesting as well. It links to a National Wildlife Fund report about the psychological effects of climate change. Those aren't looking so great either.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Inglonias posted:

On a related note, I found this article interesting as well. It links to a National Wildlife Fund report about the psychological effects of climate change. Those aren't looking so great either.

Cool article, thanks. Turns out climate scientists are people too. Having reactions not unlike people have been in this thread periodically since the op.

quote:

“I don’t know of a single scientist that’s not having an emotional reaction to what is being lost,” Parmesan is quoted saying in the National Wildlife Federation’s 2012 report, “The Psychological Effects of Global Warming on the United States: And Why the U.S. Mental Health Care System is Not Adequately Prepared.” “It’s gotten to be so depressing that I’m not sure I’m going to go back to this particular site again,” she says, referring to an ocean reef she has studied since 2002, “because I just know I’m going to see more and more of it dead, and bleached, and covered with brown algae.”

Lise Van Susteren, a forensic psychiatrist based in Washington, D.C. — and co-author of the National Wildlife Federation’s report — calls this emotional reaction “pre-traumatic stress disorder,” a term she coined to describe the mental anguish that results from preparing for the worst, before it actually happens.

“It’s an intense preoccupation with thoughts we cannot get out of our minds,” Van Susteren says. And for some, it’s a preoccupation that extends well outside of the office. “Everyday irritations as parents and spouses have their place, they’re legitimate,” she says. “But when you’re talking about thousands of years of impacts and species, giving a poo poo about whether you’re going to get the right soccer equipment or whether you forgot something at school is pretty tough.”
It shouldn't be surprising, it's some scary poo poo and they don't really have the luxury of denial.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 3, 2014

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So, when do the deniers start blaming climate scientists for not warning us hard enough?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhjamiz posted:

So, when do the deniers start blaming climate scientists for not warning us hard enough?

Funny you say that, deniers are focusing on a different part of that report:

'Alarmist' green groups made 'exaggerated' claims about global warming, UN climate change scientist says posted:

Prof Myles Allen criticises 'unhelpful' alarmism by some NGOs as UN report says science is clear that drastic action is now needed to tackle climate change

Green groups have been unhelpfully “alarmist” in making the case for tackling global warming - but the world now needs to take urgent and radical action if it wants to prevent dangerous climate change, leading UN scientists have said.
Some claims that non-governmental organisations have made about climate change “have undoubtedly been exaggerated”, Professor Myles Allen, one of the lead authors of a major new report from the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said.
“NGOs have at times been alarmist over climate change… but the IPCC has been very clear and measured throughout. I think alarmism on any issue is unhelpful.”
He suggested the alarmism had resulted in the general public getting the wrong impression about what climate change entailed.
“People think climate change is just all about melting icecaps and the Arctic, the reality is climate change is about the weather changing in many parts of the world including where many people live,” he said.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh those alarmist hippies and their dire warnings about mass die-offs and widespread desertification! They turned everyone off because they were a total buzzkill and now we can't do anything about the mass die-offs and widespread desertification because they were such downers back then :saddowns:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
No comments about the new agreement between China and America?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

No comments about the new agreement between China and America?

I don't buy what China is saying, their coal usage is still increasing, and they still have coal plants scheduled for construction, as well as coal gassification plants.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
What I'm troubled by is that saying 'our emissions will peak in 2030' can mean there's a whole lot of pollution still in the pipeline. I wouldn't even call it a victory like it's being hailed as in the press.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

[China's] position on emissions reductions with regards to any sort of UN treaty is that they want to be able to continue the unfettered increase of emissions until 2025 or 2030, after which point they will agree to a freeze of some kind. India is in general agreement with China, iirc. No clue on Brazil, probably the same as India and China.

My first post in this thread...2025/2030 was their starting point in negotiations at Copenhagen, and other countries balked. So Obama didn't get any victory at all in this agreement; this was always China's position.

It's also not a binding document in any way, merely a statement of intentions that neither country is beholden to.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

What I'm troubled by is that saying 'our emissions will peak in 2030' can mean there's a whole lot of pollution still in the pipeline. I wouldn't even call it a victory like it's being hailed as in the press.

Pretty much. They are making bold claims without any need to rush into backing them.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Arkane would be cool if the world looked like China.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Seems like this deal won't be any less effective than Kyoto.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Trabisnikof posted:

Seems like this deal won't be any less effective than Kyoto.

Is :thejoke: that the Kyoto treaty has been wholly ineffective?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hedera Helix posted:

Is :thejoke: that the Kyoto treaty has been wholly ineffective?

Pretty much. We don't have a mechanism for "binding" international agreements.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Thought I would revive the topic, as climate change is my number one personal boogeyman in life.

Current status is that diplomats are upbeat about the meeting next month in Lima. That's the only good news. At this point we've also locked ourselves into 1.5C of warming at least.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/01/world/climate-talks.html

Here are some choice :smithicide: quotes for those who are interested in that sort of thing:

quote:

Recent reports show that there may be no way to prevent the planet’s temperature from rising, given the current level of greenhouse gases already in the atmosphere and the projected rate of emissions expected to continue before any new deal is carried out.

quote:

“What’s already baked in are substantial changes to ecosystems, large-scale transformations,” Mr. Oppenheimer said. He cited losses of coral reef systems and ice sheets, and lowering crop yields.

Still, absent a deal, “things could get a lot worse,” Mr. Oppenheimer added. Beyond the 3.6 degree threshold, he said, “the aggregate costs to the global economy — rich countries as well as poor countries — rises rapidly.”

The objective now, negotiators say, is to stave off atmospheric temperature increases of 4 to 10 degrees; at that point, they say, the planet could become increasingly uninhabitable.

quote:

The idea is for each country to cut emissions at a level that it can realistically achieve, but in keeping with domestic political and economic constraints. World leaders would sign a deal in Paris next year committing all those nations to their cuts, including a provision that the nations regularly reconvene to further reduce their emissions.

The problem is that climate experts say it almost certainly will not happen fast enough. A November report by the United Nations Environment Program concluded that in order to avoid the 3.6 degree increase, global emissions must peak within the next 10 years, going down to half of current levels by midcentury.

Oh, and to make things worse, here in the U.S, midterms are likely to destroy any chance of us ratifying a globally binding climate change treaty and even if it somehow doesn't, the GOP is going to continue to do everything in its power to drive the EPA off a cliff.

Fun stuff ahead. Happy holidays everybody!

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 30, 2014

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what's the projected temperature anomaly by 2050?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Peaking emissions at 2024 and then cutting to half of 2014 levels by 2050 doesn't sound like an impossible goal. Increasing instability may even reduce emissions, just like the crash of 2008 did temporarily. Even +3.6 degrees will be pretty unpleasant though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A Bag of Milk posted:

Peaking emissions at 2024 and then cutting to half of 2014 levels by 2050 doesn't sound like an impossible goal. Increasing instability may even reduce emissions, just like the crash of 2008 did temporarily. Even +3.6 degrees will be pretty unpleasant though.

The big problem we're running into is that we're just running damage control at this point. This rock is going to get hotter and that is not good for us. We're at the turning point where we can decide how hot that is but it's going to take sacrifices and long-term planning, neither of which sound good to billionaires that only care about profits this quarter. You're also dealing with unholy alliance of business moguls that care only about how many dollars they own and evangelicals that believe the Earth becoming uninhabitable to humans is literally impossible because Jesus. Then you get people that just don't care because gently caress it, whatever, I won't be alive to see 2050 so it doesn't matter. :buys SUV, drives across country:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The thing that makes me the most mad is people that point to "OH IT WAS SNOWING IN NOVEMBER IN THIS PLACE THAT IT USUALLY DOESN'T SNOW IN NOVEMBER" to disprove Global Warming.

There is nothing I can say to convince those people.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm pretty sure that 3.6 degrees means death for hundreds of millions of people though

e: You think it might be possible to achieve a stable orbital civilization by the middle of the century? Because beyond that, I can't imagine technologically advanced nations having the capacity to do that.

lollontee fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 1, 2014

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Friendly Tumour posted:

I'm pretty sure that 3.6 degrees means death for hundreds of millions of people though

e: You think it might be possible to achieve a stable orbital civilization by the middle of the century? Because beyond that, I can't imagine technologically advanced nations having the capacity to do that.

They mean 3.6 degrees F, not 3.6 C (Since they're American and most of their audience uses the Fahrenheit scale). There's a large difference. 2 C is bad, but not "Hundreds of millions are dead" bad.

...Right?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

The thing that makes me the most mad is people that point to "OH IT WAS SNOWING IN NOVEMBER IN THIS PLACE THAT IT USUALLY DOESN'T SNOW IN NOVEMBER" to disprove Global Warming.

Take a look at How to Argue with Assholes :allears: Also while the author of the video is a science journalist, not an expert, he conveys information reasonably well and he sources his stuff so his videos are worth a look if you want to know more about arguments for or against climate change (and creationism). Climate change series

Bates fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 1, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Friendly Tumour posted:

For certain values of the words "stable" and "civilization", maaaayyybe. drat sure worth the try, though, for many reasons including but not limited to climate change.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Anosmoman posted:

Take a look at How to Argue with Assholes :allears: Also while the author of the video is a science journalist, not an expert, he conveys information reasonably well and he sources his stuff so his videos are worth a look if you want to know more about arguments for or against climate change (and creationism). Climate change series
This guy is such a stuck up effete prick, I love him with all my dearest heart.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Guys, don't worry [insert complex and easily abusable financial scheme to lower carbon emissions here] will save us by harnessing the tremendous power of the market.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Unsurprisingly, we are so very screwed

quote:

Over the past 21 years, researchers found glaciers in the Amundsen Sea Embayment lost an average of 83 gigatons per year (91.5 billion U.S. tons). By comparison, Mt. Everest weighs about 161 gigatons, meaning the Antarctic glaciers lost an amount of water weight equivalent to Mt. Everest every two years over the last 21 years.

What's more, the losses are happening faster and faster.

Over the past decade, the rate of melting has increased by 16.3 gigatons per year -- almost three times the rate of increase for the full 21-year period.
:regd08:

The article tries to conflate sea ice increases near the end, though - ugh. "HEY there's more ice melting from land into the water. HEY there's more ice in the water now. SEEMS OKAY TO ME"

Also, climate change is the bane of the Tea Party, I guess.

quote:

"My thinking is that if you don’t like a solution, you’re going to reject that the problem exists, and in this case, that means finding reasons not to trust the scientists on the topic."
That just about sums it all up now, doesn't it? Can't get to discussing climate science without TAXES TAXES TAXES.

At least we can shout them down as 2014 is shaping up to be the hottest recorded year

quote:

The first ten months of 2014 (January–October) were the warmest such period since record keeping began in 1880, with a combined global land and ocean average surface temperature 0.68°C (1.22°F) above the 20th century average of 14.1°C (57.4°F), surpassing the previous record set in 1998 and tied in 2010 by 0.02°C (0.04°F). 2014 is currently on track to be the warmest year on record.

The most recent 12-month period, November 2013–October 2014, broke the record (set just last month) for the all-time warmest 12-month period in the 135-year period of record, at 0.68°C (1.22°F) above average, with November 2013 and May, June, August, September, and October 2014 all record warm for their respective months. (originally published as 0.69°C, corrected 20 Nov 2014)
Whee...

The Earth is loving trolling Americans, I swear.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 3, 2014

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Evil_Greven posted:

The Earth is loving trolling Americans, I swear.

And, by extension, everyone else. In Europe we're on track for another warmest year ever but the one place that could do the most (or at least, is the most responsible) is unusually cold.

Anyone know how the oil price crash is affecting consumption? I don't know enough about the price elasticities involved to figure the effect on emissions.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Weirdly enough I'm in a place that is colder than usual but it was pretty drat hot.

I wonder why America is colder than average, though.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Weirdly enough I'm in a place that is colder than usual but it was pretty drat hot.

Jet stream loving up due to melting arctic? Last winter was warm as hell in scandinavia

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Proof that God exists and is an rear end in a top hat?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreyPowerVan posted:

Jet stream is going farther south.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Inglonias posted:

The comments are really great on that piece. 90+% of the votes are going to denialists. Murka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Madmarker posted:

Proof that God exists and is an rear end in a top hat?

Eh, its colder in places where its normally warm, and warm where its normally cold.

God is a troll.

• Locked thread