Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
What are the odds we see some great sumo from Kisenosato because it feels like there's no pressure on him this basho?

It would be nice to see Kakuryu come out and dominate in the next few days. Just throw some people around mang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
So these appeared on the broadcast last night showing the power of Hakuho:

The columns are age, from 20 to 35. Top guy is Taiho, the record holder, second guy is Chiyonofuji, second place, and of course Hakuho.
Its somewhat similar until you see this:

The first column is basho as yokozuna, and the second column is how many they dropped out of due to injury
Taiho has 5 full missed bashos, and 7 dropped out during
Chiyonofuji has 6 full missed bashos, and 5 dropped out during.

Hakuho has never missed a match while yokozuna over 44 basho.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i could easily see hakuho continuing to win 3+ a year until he's 35. maybe even beyond since he's so drat durable.

i mean, poo poo, he could hit 50 yusho by the time he's done.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ItI6sSq5k

Osunaarashi and Yoshikaze :ohdear:

Goddammit Aoiyama, stop going for the belt against guys who are better than you at that :ughh:

Hakuho with the 'poo poo, you almost had me' expression on his face

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 11, 2014

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Goddammit Aoiyama, stop going for the belt against guys who are better than you at that :ughh:

Aoiyama would be an Ozeki in no time if he would do all tsuppari all the time. They literally can't touch him when he does that.

Re: Hakuho as the GOAT - apparently this guy doesn't think so (near the end of the interview).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

anakha posted:

Hakuho with the 'poo poo, you almost had me' expression on his face

That was great. I thought he was done for there I'm still not sure how he recovered from being pushed so far back other than just pure strength.

net work error fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 11, 2014

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

net work error posted:

I thought he was done for there I'm still not sure how he recovered from being pushed so far back other than just pure strength.

Yeah. A lot of guys in that position just seem to hold on for a few seconds and then fall out, it's not often you see someone able to get back to even strength. I liked how he waited for his opponent to step back into the ring and gave him a pat on the back. A for Effort lil' buddy

edit - Harumafuji looks REALLY strong going forward, especially his tachi-ai, but his catch/clinch game is lacking. Hoping he can keep his missile-like tendencies up. Same for Shohouzan, I haven't seen him blow someone off the line now for like 3 basho

edit - like his performance here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcQboI2YOY . Wish I could find a video with the epic staredown beforehand

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 12, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
As predicted Yoshikaze and Osunaarashi are both out of the basho.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

As predicted Yoshikaze and Osunaarashi are both out of the basho.

Sucks. :(
I enjoy seeing Osunaarashi even though I only recently started watching.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Fryhtaning posted:

Aoiyama would be an Ozeki in no time if he would do all tsuppari all the time. They literally can't touch him when he does that.

Re: Hakuho as the GOAT - apparently this guy doesn't think so (near the end of the interview).

Interesting interview. Makes me want to go back and re-watch those sumo archives that Araibira had.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM36MMWcplY

Kisenosato-Terunofuji was MOTN without a doubt.

Goeido's learned from his previous bout with Ichinojo.

Harumafuji getting tsuppari'd around is a bit concerning.

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 12, 2014

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

If Harumafuji doesn't pick it up this basho, we may not be seeing him around for much longer. He shouldn't be dropping bouts this early in the basho.

Kisenosato has looked pretty solid so far, probably because nobody has been paying attention to him.

Really disappointed about Osunaarashi, hoping he comes back strong next basho. He should get a good record if he's healthy since he will be fighting against the lower ranks.

Shohozan has be doing really poor, kinda shocked. Was expecting him to dominate from M10.

Poor Amuru, it was absolutely a matta. If he just maintained his position, I'm sure the gyoji would have called it.

Aoiyama - Kisenosato should be a good bout tomorrow as long as Aoiyama doesn't go for belt play
Tochiozan - Goeido is always a good show

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Diplomat posted:

If Harumafuji doesn't pick it up this basho, we may not be seeing him around for much longer. He shouldn't be dropping bouts this early in the basho.

Yokozuna and ozeki start and finish with tough matchups (komu/seki/upper M at the beginning), with the lowest ranked opps in between. I'd be more worried if Harumafuji drops any between days 5 and 10.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Thats good to hear, he's one of my favorite wrestlers and I want to see him stick around for awhile.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Ichinojo needs to learn a touch more patience I think. He's so strong and stable that you'd favour him in any long match but when he goes for an early throw, like day 4, he looks very vulnerable.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9F7-nlUmJE

And it's a good 'un.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Some ridiculously good bouts today

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shiatedashinage! I love it when I see the rarer finishes.

That's the Aoiyama I want to see more of.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

anakha posted:

Shiatedashinage! I love it when I see the rarer finishes.

That was a great bout to watch.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
What's the deal with the Harumafuji win? The subtitles and the comments lead me to believe that it was somehow not sporting, but I can't figure out why.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

camoseven posted:

What's the deal with the Harumafuji win? The subtitles and the comments lead me to believe that it was somehow not sporting, but I can't figure out why.

I guess it was sort of henka-ish, in that he seemed to sidestep the tachi-ai and took the easy win

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Henkas own. I want to see someone win a basho with 15 of them.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Harumafuji is a badass, he makes henkas look good.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

I guess it was sort of henka-ish, in that he seemed to sidestep the tachi-ai and took the easy win

I'm of the school of thought that if you step forward and you make contact, it ain't a henka. Harumafuji did both and threw Ikioi out like a ragdoll. Guys who go charging in like him and Kotoshogiku can get beat by that fairly easily. He tries that on Hakuho or Kisenosato and his rear end will be stumbling backwards over the edge in 2 pushes.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Henkas own. I want to see someone win a basho with 15 of them.

aran probably did that like, 9 times in any given basho

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm of the school of thought that if you step forward and you make contact, it ain't a henka. Harumafuji did both and threw Ikioi out like a ragdoll. Guys who go charging in like him and Kotoshogiku can get beat by that fairly easily. He tries that on Hakuho or Kisenosato and his rear end will be stumbling backwards over the edge in 2 pushes.

I suppose they're expecting a yokozuna not to need guile to beat a reckless charge. I don't see the problem personally, because, as you say, he didn't just stand up and push him down - he went in, manoeuvred and threw Ikioi. I suspect Kintamayama's Ikioi fanboyism may be showing.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
In case Terunofuji is not your favorite yet, here he beat boxes for the fan girls

https://vine.co/v/OimU6EBKIJd

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_vBBMFCc3s

900 wins is mind-boggling.

:stare: Ichinojo-Kakuryu and that stalemate at the the edge of the ring

:stonk: Hooooooly poo poo Takayasu!

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 14, 2014

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Holy poo poo you guys, you do NOT want to miss the last 3 in this one.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Fryhtaning posted:

Holy poo poo you guys, you do NOT want to miss the last 3 in this one.

:agreed: Man those were some great ones.

Also, 900 anything is a lot so 900 wins is crazy.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

net work error posted:

:agreed: Man those were some great ones.

Also, 900 anything is a lot so 900 wins is crazy.

That's 10 years worth of 15-0 results.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Gibbo posted:

That's 10 years worth of 15-0 results.

Realistically, he's only 2(ish) year's worth of tournaments left to get 1000 at 8 wins per, which he seems capable of getting. He's still going ok and seems near indestructible so I have no doubt he could make it another 2 or 3 years if we so chooses (and his form holds up). I can't recall him being out for injury and he only had his run of consecutive appearances broken due to his suspension for driving. But he is also 40 but doesn't appear to be on the decline performance-wise. I'd hate to see him keep wrestling simply for the wins if he starts doing poorly consistently, though.

I do wonder what his retirement trigger will be, though, since his chance to succeed his stablemaster came and went and he's still wrestling. Likely falling into Juryo and not immediately making it back (or doing poorly in Juryo)?

He's also only 87 (I think) bouts behind Oshio for the career record and 45 behind Kaio for top-division record as well as 12 tournaments behind Kaio for the top-division record. And 147 total wins behind Kaio for that record as well.

This record-digging led me to learn that Hakuho is (hilariously) tied with himself for most wins in a calendar year with 86 out of 90.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 14, 2014

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN4W3ZE0h4E

Yay for more of the less common finishes!

Kyokutenho teaching Endo a lesson or two. :smug:

Ikioi got ragdolled there at the end. :stare:

Kakuryu was very emphatic in not letting Takayasu go 3 for 3 in yokozunae.

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 15, 2014

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Aoiyama :bang:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

In fairness, I think he was going for tsuppari, but Goeido's tachiai was able to go under this arms.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Geoido's clearly got the measure of the Michelin man, his record is 10-1 against him.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

In fairness, I think he was going for tsuppari, but Goeido's tachiai was able to go under this arms.

Yup, Goeido just didn't even give him a chance to get started. Aoi needs to watch some Akebono videos and learn how to smash face right off the line.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Fryhtaning posted:

Yup, Goeido just didn't even give him a chance to get started. Aoi needs to watch some Akebono videos and learn how to smash face right off the line.

The Shohouzan bout has me wondering just how many rikishi have actually developed a defense against the tsuppari. Aoiyama and Shohouzan both do well every time they get it going. No one really employs the machine gun slaps anymore so I have to think it isn't an offensive style that gets much attention in practice.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pvt. Public posted:

The Shohouzan bout has me wondering just how many rikishi have actually developed a defense against the tsuppari. Aoiyama and Shohouzan both do well every time they get it going. No one really employs the machine gun slaps anymore so I have to think it isn't an offensive style that gets much attention in practice.

This might sound a little ignorant of sumo tactics on my end, but it seems like current guys who use a lot of tsuppari (the Chiyo- and Toyo- guys seem to employ this a lot as well) tend to do so because they aren't as good with belt tactics or aren't physically built for it.

Aoiyama's height makes for a high center of gravity and is easily disruptable, while Shohozan is just too small to muscle guys around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPiYveT7i0A

I didn't know Chiyootori was that flexible.

Ichinojo's matta-henka tactic seems to be well-scouted now.

Hakuho getting edgy again after that loss a couple of days ago.

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 16, 2014