Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Be that as it may, my point is that being a stat monster on a bad team doesn't necessarily make you the best player in the country.

It's a good sign that you're probably pretty loving good, especially absent some other explanation for why they'd have an easier time putting up big numbers than expected. The comparison to guys who put up big passing numbers in systems explicitly designed to scheme passers to big numbers is asinine. Literally everyone who played under Jones and Leach put up gigantic yard and TD numbers. No one who played for Iowa State during that time period came close to being as good as Davis. You couldn't just throw any halfway decent back on those teams and watch them put up stats, it took an extraordinary player to do it.

quote:

For the record, I thought Brad Banks was the best player in 2002 as well. :shrug:

I don't actually think this.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

It's a good sign that you're probably pretty loving good, especially absent some other explanation for why they'd have an easier time putting up big numbers than expected. The comparison to guys who put up big passing numbers in systems explicitly designed to scheme passers to big numbers is asinine. Literally everyone who played under Jones and Leach put up gigantic yard and TD numbers. No one who played for Iowa State during that time period came close to being as good as Davis. You couldn't just throw any halfway decent back on those teams and watch them put up stats, it took an extraordinary player to do it.

So you think the other RBs I listed with huge seasons on pedestrian teams were robbed also?

MourningView posted:

I don't actually think this.

I do. He was phenomenal.

USC eviscerated him with their dicks in the Orange Bowl though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Be that as it may, my point is that being a stat monster on a bad team doesn't necessarily make you the best player in the country.

One difference between the RBs you mentioned and Davis (other than the bad team, because I think all those guys went to bowl games and Iowa State couldn't sniff that) is that Davis did it twice in a big conference. You'd imagine he would have gotten some buzz after the first year but Iowa State was just so incredibly terrible that he was an afterthought.

Yeah they only give the Heisman to people on good teams, but that doesn't really stop us from complaining about under-appreciated guys.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News: Florida State's starting cornerback was involved in a hit and run at 2:47 in the morning last month, when he came back to the scene he was never even asked about whether he'd been drinking, much less given a sobriety test. The police "forgot" to put it into their system and eventually he was just given a traffic ticket. Florida State Police sent two officers to the scene even though it was off campus but that also never got included in the report.

Views: FSU going full retard protecting this team.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Edit: Beaten

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

So you think the other RBs I listed with huge seasons and pedestrian teams were robbed also?

Some of them? I don't know why I have to agree that they all were. It depends on the specifics of their season, who they played, who their competition for the award was, etc.

And again I don't think any of them played for teams as bad as ISU during that period, and most of them were not playing on bad teams in major conferences. Not all bad teams are equally bad.

quote:

I do. He was phenomenal.

He was really good, but he wasn't actually asked to do a whole ton and had the benefit of one of the best offensive lines ever. His running ability added a lot to the offense but as a passer he threw mostly low risk stuff and a huge chunk of his numbers came on screen passes where the offensive line bulldozed the entire defensive front and let Mo Brown or CJ Jones go 10-15 yards completely untouched. If anyone on that team deserved an award it was Eric Steinbach. They were built around the offensive line and running game, and the best skill position guy on the team was Dallas Clark. Banks was like maybe the 10th best player on the roster

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 14, 2014

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:laffo:

Jimbo is doing an admirable job of protecting Bobby's brand down there.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The more I read about Tallahassee, the more corrupt it gets.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

Probation got introduced in 2004 so nobody's up yet and I don't think the 100k hour one was used for awhile anyway.

Pages back but it looks like the first one was given out on May 8th, 2005. User still has 690 days to wait until its up, as of right now.

Of course, the best part is the post itself

Tortoise Camrhyne posted:

No fukkin way in hell will Radium ever give me probation for 11 years

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you win one of those MVP type trophies or the ones they give to position players do actually get something or is it just the trophy?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
a five dollar gift card to the golden corral

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Spacebump posted:

The more I read about Tallahassee, the more corrupt it gets.

I lived there for ten years. It is the worst place I've ever lived.

I saw more cops there on a daily basis than I have in Tampa, Orlando, LA, or anywhere else I've lived. They were always running speed traps.

The two times I called when my house was broken into, they told me they had no officers to send, and to file a police report later.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

Man I'll throw some tortillas like Texas Tech does for fun but gently caress wasting crab legs.

Publix viral promotion spotted.

Also, best thing about kliff? He brought the tortillas back and uses it as a recruiting tool. Two commits have already commented on it being "awesome" this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahaha

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

I love this team

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

i mean, i was planning on bringing crab legs, but how do i bring up a hit and run

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's funny, you hear a lot of stories of campus police departments going out of their way to gently caress around with football players so they look tough (pulling then over and doing an extra sweep for drugs and firearms once they're recognized) and then there's the Tallahassee Campus PD that seems to be a literal arm of the school and is working hard to keep the players out of trouble.

HooverDam
Aug 16, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

It's hard to quantify how excellent Wuerrfel was. If you can ever catch a replay of the 97 Sugar Bowl, you'll see him absolutely dismantling the best defense in the country after switching to the shotgun during bowl practices.

He was unreal.

My 13 year old self will never stop hating Danny Wuerrfel. gently caress him, give Jake Plummer the damned Heisman!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

TheGreyGhost posted:

I literally feel like I've been hearing about Mitchell since Matt Stafford was a freshman, and every single time I hear about him he's either injured or coming off of an injury only to get injured again.

This is correct. Money Mitch played well against Kentucky but after every catch would come up limping with something or the other. Got wide open for a stroll-in TD, gets to the back of the endzone and is yelping while holding his quad. That sort of thing.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

JT Jag posted:

It's funny, you hear a lot of stories of campus police departments going out of their way to gently caress around with football players so they look tough (pulling then over and doing an extra sweep for drugs and firearms once they're recognized) and then there's the Tallahassee Campus PD that seems to be a literal arm of the school and is working hard to keep the players out of trouble.

See: Athens PD pulling over a Georgia player for "emerging from an alley." Otherwise known as "existing," I guess?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
FSU is the new Da U but in a non-comical-slightly-endearing way...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 14, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Scarf posted:

FSU is the new Da U but in a non-comical slightly endearing way...
The U without the flair and style that made the U fascinating.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

I missed the hilarity of it a few pages ago, but Jameis' hearing being postponed until the day after that title game is the most FSU thing that has ever loving happened.

Well, besides running a clown school.

Haha. Fo sho.

The only FSU person I know is an old coworker who is the most Tucker Max bro I've ever met. He commented on some sports website's facebook after they essentially called out FSU for caring so much about football over all other things. All of the comments were the most childish poo poo i've read in a while about caring about due process and accusing the writers of rape and poo poo like that.

most schools at least try and make sweeping poo poo under the rug not so obvious.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

bad boys for life posted:

I lived there for ten years. It is the worst place I've ever lived.

I saw more cops there on a daily basis than I have in Tampa, Orlando, LA, or anywhere else I've lived. They were always running speed traps.

The two times I called when my house was broken into, they told me they had no officers to send, and to file a police report later.

Second worst place I ever lived but only because I was stuck in Biloxi for a year. It wasn't significantly better than Tampa though. FL is almost universally terrible.

The incompetence of the TPD knows no bounds.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

go3 posted:

the most Spurrier play of all time

This is my favorite Spurrier series, witnessed in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCu8n4eo63I

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

#FSUTwitter has already flagged the link to this story as spam on twitter. They work fast now I guess.

Also, goddamn Dan Wetzel.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FSU is going to win the national title.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

:getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Viper_3000 posted:

Also, goddamn Dan Wetzel.

:thurman: that rules

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
FSU is really bad, but a lot of other schools have criminals infesting their teams. A drinking buddy of mine who had seen (and heard) the football team during a practice afterwards said "these guys would be murderers if it weren't for football." That was at UF, when Aaron Hernandez was there.

There's no excuse for protecting FSU's players, though. Tallahassee is enough of a shithole even without that crap going on.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

wheres the hooker abortions and boats fsu

step up your game if you ever want to be more than a little brother

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

LLCoolJD posted:

FSU is really bad, but a lot of other schools have criminals infesting their teams. A drinking buddy of mine who had seen (and heard) the football team during a practice afterwards said "these guys would be murderers if it weren't for football." That was at UF, when Aaron Hernandez was there.

lol oh ok

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I never have seen #FSUTwitter in such rare form as to mark a New York times article as a phishing site so less people will read it.

Oh also every single detail of that article is pretty damning.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

FSU is approaching 2010 Auburn levels of fan scientology impersonation.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

#NotOurRealRival

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

FSU is really bad, but a lot of other schools have criminals infesting their teams. A drinking buddy of mine who had seen (and heard) the football team during a practice afterwards said "these guys would be murderers if it weren't for football."

Sounds like your buddy is kind of a racist.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Sounds like your buddy is kind of a racist.

I got in a discussion with a 60ish year old fan at lunch when I read aloud about the hit and run.

We agreed that FSU is full of terrible people who should probably be in jail, but then he said that he'd be in favor of tying them publicly to a post and lashing them with a whip until they passed out to "teach the others a lesson". That might be the most racist football related thing I've read outside castefootball.com. I finished as quickly as I could and walked away.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I bet Leach wishes he could have used a Naval cat and flogging as punishment. Worked for the Royal Navy.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

#NotOurRealRival

Never really understood this given the level of smack talk the Rebels have directed at Miss State. I like smack talk, it is part of a healthy relationship with the game of football, but the weird rivalry denial is, well... weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

archangelwar posted:

Never really understood this given the level of smack talk the Rebels have directed at Miss State. I like smack talk, it is part of a healthy relationship with the game of football, but the weird rivalry denial is, well... weird.

Not a rival smack talk is odd. Ohio State rivals.com fans are dead seat against referring to Penn State as a rival. I hate them, they're a border state, and there have been a bunch of close games even when Penn State sucks. I'd much rather beat Penn State than Illinois who is allegedly a real rival. That's good enough for me.

• Locked thread