Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

What the gently caress, seems that if I skip the level transition cutscene I always bomb myself right at the start of the next level in the bomb challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Cheekio posted:

TMYK, wow.

Also, does anyone have tips on getting more angel rooms? Or even devil rooms on the first couple levels? I'm trying to get two angel rooms in a run for well known reasons, but I'll be damned if they ever show up when I have a loadout worth bringing to the endgame.

Supposedly getting a devil room but passing up on the deals will increase your chances to get an angel room later.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

90% of the time you should be able to see damage coming, particularly against bullethell bosses like It Lives.

IronicDongz posted:

Scolex is actually a loving indefensible boss design-wise and I was kind of shocked that it still exists in rebirth. Not only is it incredibly boring, and also not a threat at all, to any character, but it's one of those super lovely types of bosses where you just have to wait until they arbitrarily decide to let you kill them by flashing their weakness at you.
scolex why do you exist
Yeah I hate him a lot more than Mask of Infamy for this reason, at least Mask of Infamy's weakspot is always available to attack. Same goes for Polycephalus.

Ghost Head posted:

Does guppy's collar work the same way? Reviving with 1 heart is a pathetically dumb idea for an item unless it's like Lazarus where you revive immediately in the room.
No actually, Guppy's Collar keeps your max health the same (although it leaves you with only half a heart full). It also seems to be affected by luck - I was revived 6 times by it in the Chest once after taking a lot of luck up pills.

Morholt posted:

So is there no way to abuse the dead cat anymore? It used to be the best item in the game for that reason, now I've only really found it useful as a stepping-stone to guppy-mode.
You can still use it to make devil deals you can't afford, and use it as an HP item if you have no heart containers. Also I've liked it a lot in high-damage low-HP builds, where I can generally kill things quickly but occasionally take a random hit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Dead cat is also great on eve to get whore of babylon going. Course, so is any devil deal that takes you down to one heart, but dead cat shows up in other places as well.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Doesn't make much of a difference because you should always have a charged shot ready with chargeable weapons so you can actually defend yourself. Sure, you could just release a charge if you know you're about to be hit, but if you know you're about to be hit you may as well just dodge unless you know it's impossible somehow.
You can do both though. If you're in trouble let go of the charge while you continue trying to dodge.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cheekio posted:

TMYK, wow.

Also, does anyone have tips on getting more angel rooms? Or even devil rooms on the first couple levels? I'm trying to get two angel rooms in a run for well known reasons, but I'll be damned if they ever show up when I have a loadout worth bringing to the endgame.

First floor won't spawn a devil/angel room unless you force it (goat, joker card, lucky red chest etc.)

After that, mainly focus on reducing damage you take, the less you take on a floor the higher a chance you'll get a devil/angel rooms.

If you go into a devil room and resist the temptation to deal with the devil, the next floor (and likely the floor after that) has a dramatically increased chance of being an angel room instead. Note that you CAN and probably should take any items he gives you as freebies (sin hearts, red chests) the ONLY thing that really matters is trading health for items.

Grab faith up items, these supposedly should increase soul heart spawns and angel rooms (though no one's datamined to find actual confirmation/numbers on that yet as far as I know).

Angel rooms can still totally spawn if you get "evil up" items or have the goat's head (the latter I can totally confirm, which is really annoying when you're trying to get devil deals as Eve to cut her hearts down for permanent Whore o' Babylon effect and to get more room for soul hearts)

And remember: whatever else goes on, BOI is random as gently caress so nothing is guaranteed. Even following the perfect instructions you're STILL not guaranteed to get what you need or want.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 14, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Actually the Goat Head won't spawn a devil room on the first floor.

omeg posted:

What the gently caress, seems that if I skip the level transition cutscene I always bomb myself right at the start of the next level in the bomb challenge.

Yeah does anyone know if there is a way to skip the boss intros with the controller without shooting? It's kind of annoying.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Oh my god that giant room with the walking skulls and the cross room spitting heads sucks so much

This is probably the worst room for me. Maybe the one where you have to take damage crossing spikes or the big room with the traps going around it in circles but the pop up skull room seems to come up about every other run for me and I hate it so much.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jibo posted:

Actually the Goat Head won't spawn a devil room on the first floor.

Ah, okay. Still a good item if you're searching for Angel rooms though since it forces one or the other to spawn after that.

Also, on my last run killing Krampus seemed to count towards Angel room appearances. Or maybe I just got luck and had the goat head.

Oh, one big thing I forgot to mention: DO NOT TAKE DEVIL DEALS. PERIOD. Doing so just once will lock you out of Angel Room spawns for the rest of the run. You're free to take freebies the devil offers you, you're free to look at his selection, but you are NOT allowed to trade health for items.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

First floor won't spawn a devil/angel room unless you force it (goat, joker card, lucky red chest etc.)

After that, mainly focus on reducing damage you take, the less you take on a floor the higher a chance you'll get a devil/angel rooms.

If you go into a devil room and resist the temptation to deal with the devil, the next floor (and likely the floor after that) has a dramatically increased chance of being an angel room instead. Note that you CAN and probably should take any items he gives you as freebies (sin hearts, red chests) the ONLY thing that really matters is trading health for items.

Grab faith up items, these supposedly should increase soul heart spawns and angel rooms (though no one's datamined to find actual confirmation/numbers on that yet as far as I know).

Angel rooms can still totally spawn if you get "evil up" items or have the goat's head (the latter I can totally confirm, which is really annoying when you're trying to get devil deals as Eve to cut her hearts down for permanent Whore o' Babylon effect and to get more room for soul hearts)

And remember: whatever else goes on, BOI is random as gently caress so nothing is guaranteed. Even following the perfect instructions you're STILL not guaranteed to get what you need or want.

It isnt really "less damage" so much as no damage at all in the floor and boss room (which also counts as floor damage too iirc). So if you get hit I think your chance at a devil/angel room is only like 1% or something. Although some items change the percentage, like the Pentagram, that can make it higher.

Somebody listed all the rules for it pages ago and I'm fairly sure that was accurate. Although I did take a devil deal once and then eventually got an angel room, I think it's posible just highly, highly unlikely.

\/\/\/\/ right sorry, forgot to mention that. At least that's how it working in the original, and it seems the same in Rebirth

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 14, 2014

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

You only get dinged if you take red heart damage, soul/sin hearts won't affect your chances.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Logan 5 posted:

It isnt really "less damage" so much as no damage at all in the floor and boss room (which also counts as floor damage too iirc). So if you get hit I think your chance at a devil/angel room is only like 1% or something. Although some items change the percentage, like the Pentagram, that can make it higher.

Somebody listed all the rules for it pages ago and I'm fairly sure that was accurate. Although I did take a devil deal once and then eventually got an angel room, I think it's posible just highly, highly unlikely.

Well, yeah, I didn't feel like going that deep. Basically you start at 135% chance for a devil/angel room. Taking damage on the floor (though I think there's some leeway on accidentally bombing yourself, or soul heart damage vs. red heart damage) subtracts 99%. Taking damage on the boss subtracts 35% (you can never lose the 1% chance for a 1-in-a-hundred chance).

I didn't want to go that deep because those were the old rules in the previous game and while they haven't been confirmed to have changed, they also haven't been confirmed to be the same as of yet. The remake could very well have different rules than before. Goodness knows I'm an absolute klutz that sucks horribly at the game and still get Devil/Angel rooms all the time.

Kaethela posted:

You only get dinged if you take red heart damage, soul/sin hearts won't affect your chances.

Yeah, thought it was something like that.

Further proof that Soul/Sin hearts > Red Hearts once you get later in the game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man Devil Beggar is so good for Blue Baby. I never could do a legit run for him in the original version, always just using Isaac to D6 a secret room item to a Ankh and then die up by whatever boss I need to kill with Bluebaby. But now with Devil Beggar, I am almost always filled with soul/dark hearts by the time I get to It Lives.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
remember, god doesn't care about the state of your soul, just never get any boo-boos

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you're looking for two angel rooms you should try Azazel. He's unlikely to take red heart damage and he doesn't need devil deals to be powerful as gently caress throughout the game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
You can also just reroll until you start with a curse room with a goat head in it and skip devil rooms until Angel rooms pop up.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
In case anyone hasn't tried Ludovico yet, here is a seed

XKJ8
J7EN

Its right in the item room

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Alkydere posted:

Ah, okay. Still a good item if you're searching for Angel rooms though since it forces one or the other to spawn after that.

Also, on my last run killing Krampus seemed to count towards Angel room appearances. Or maybe I just got luck and had the goat head.

Oh, one big thing I forgot to mention: DO NOT TAKE DEVIL DEALS. PERIOD. Doing so just once will lock you out of Angel Room spawns for the rest of the run. You're free to take freebies the devil offers you, you're free to look at his selection, but you are NOT allowed to trade health for items.

Well, you actually SHOULD do deals with the devil if you'd like an item unless you're looking for Angel rooms. This is probably what you meant but I feel the need to emphasize it anyway.
If you reject a deal with a devil the chance of an angel room spawning next time will be higher, so you should go into the room at least. And as already pointed out, you can take the chests and hearts just lying about.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there a hack to do/spawn whatever you want yet like the one for the original game? I think it was called Spider-mod.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

Well, you actually SHOULD do deals with the devil if you'd like an item unless you're looking for Angel rooms. This is probably what you meant but I feel the need to emphasize it anyway.
If you reject a deal with a devil the chance of an angel room spawning next time will be higher, so you should go into the room at least. And as already pointed out, you can take the chests and hearts just lying about.

Well, yeah, the original guy was asking about getting Angel Rooms to spawn so that he could get the key pieces.

Honestly though, the Devil items tend to be a lot more powerful than the Angel ones on average, or at least there's generally a variety to chose from which lets the stronger items show up more often. The Angel room gives you items for free, but the rooms are rarer and with only a single item there's a lot bigger chance you'll get something like the "Breath of Life" plastic bag to pull over your head when you've already got Krampus's decapitated head.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there a hack to do/spawn whatever you want yet like the one for the original game? I think it was called Spider-mod.

Spider Mod took a long time to come out after BOI so I suspect we will have to wait. Though this game is actually stable so maybe that will speed things up.

If/when it comes out I will never turn it off. gently caress the curses in this game.

Alkydere posted:

Well, yeah, the original guy was asking about getting Angel Rooms to spawn so that he could get the key pieces.

Honestly though, the Devil items tend to be a lot more powerful than the Angel ones on average, or at least there's generally a variety to chose from which lets the stronger items show up more often. The Angel room gives you items for free, but the rooms are rarer and with only a single item there's a lot bigger chance you'll get something like the "Breath of Life" plastic bag to pull over your head when you've already got Krampus's decapitated head.

The Angel Rooms get better as you unlock more poo poo. Each of The Lost's unlocks (other than the D100) show up there and they are all pretty great. The Holy Shroud and the Wafer are both also really good. My only beef is that the angel rooms seem less inclined to give you items over soul hearts or whatever.

I mean, there's not really any replacement for Brimstone but the Angel rooms can be pretty solid.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 14, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jibo posted:

The Angel Rooms get better as you unlock more poo poo. Each of The Lost's unlocks (other than the D100) show up there and they are all pretty great. The Holy Shroud and the Wafer are both also really good. My only beef is that the angel rooms seem less inclined to give you items over soul hearts or whatever.

I mean, there's not really any replacement for Brimstone but the Angel rooms can be pretty solid.

Oh they definitely can be, and I won't sneeze at 3 soul hearts. But at the same time, as I said, you're less likely to get those. Holy Mantle and Wafer are loving baller items, but as said the Angel Room only drops ONE item while the Devil can drop three. Which means you still have 3x the chance of getting flight or brimstone even if the other options are lackluster babies while you can show up to the angel room and get something absolutely mediocre.

Angel Rooms can break runs in half, they're just not as reliable a way to do it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

NK3B BN3W is a seed where you can pretty easily get Lord of the Flies AND Guppy at the same time by the end of the Womb, it's fun~

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What does Guppy even do? I've never gotten him in WotL or Rebirth even though I've put 100+ hours in between the two of them :smith:

(I also don't aggressively seek Guppy items because I've never actually seen enough of them to get him in one run so I've never had any AW SHUCKS I MISSED GUPPY moments)

Also, advice for getting the damned cat trio put together?

E: Just found a really scummy trick with Holy Mantle. Any time you get hit and lose your Mantle protection, save and quit and hit continue. You'll start the room over with Mantle refreshed.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 14, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Becoming Guppy gives you permanent flight and from that point on you automatically spawn a mulligan fly whenever a tear from you or your familiars hits an enemy. It's incredibly useful because the flies home in on enemies and can pass through terrain, so it pairs well with spectral tears.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Magres posted:

What does Guppy even do? I've never gotten him in WotL or Rebirth even though I've put 100+ hours in between the two of them :smith:

(I also don't aggressively seek Guppy items because I've never actually seen enough of them to get him in one run so I've never had any AW SHUCKS I MISSED GUPPY moments)

Guppy gives you flying and every hit will spawn an attack fly. For reference, flies do 2x your normal damage and are homing shots.

You need to pick up 3 of the following in the run to become Guppy: Dead Cat, Guppy's Paw, Guppy's Head, and Guppy's Collar.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

:siren:Get Dry Baby:siren:

Sitting in a corner with him in front of you blocks 90% of everything Mega Satan can toss, and retaliates for you. Beat him on my first try.

You can cheese the dice rooms, too. I found one on a 2, and went back through the whole level dropping off extra tarot cards and bad pills. Everything on the floor got rerolled, and I turned a card into Cricket's Head. Hell yes.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 14, 2014

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

How do you dodge ???'s attack during the third phase where he teleports into you?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I have no idea what I picked up, but at some point I became immune to regular projectiles in my last run. I just sat in front of Isaac, and later ???, spamming tears until they died. ??? could hurt me with the red tears it had, but those almost never happened and frankly he's easier than Isaac anyway since he doesn't have the light from above thing. Wish I'd had whatever this was when I was using ??? myself.

Fulla Lizards! posted:

How do you dodge ???'s attack during the third phase where he teleports into you?

He rarely hits me when I'm moving, as soon as the teleport starts you gotta move.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Magres posted:

The left hand trinket turns all chests into red chests, which have a pretty good chance to have guppy items.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Guppy's Head is by far the best space bar item. Spawning flies with a 1 room recharge is almost overpowered.

What determines when you shoot a special tear effect? Is it based on luck?

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

He rarely hits me when I'm moving, as soon as the teleport starts you gotta move.

It comes out so fast it's hard to time, at least for me. Guess I just need to be constantly moving during that part of the fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Guppy's Head is by far the best space bar item. Spawning flies with a 1 room recharge is almost overpowered.

Tammy's Head is actually incredible if you have brimstone or are Azazel, I've oneshot bosses with it and it also has a one room cool down. With the Habit it alone has taken me through the Chest.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
This is probably established in the thread by now, but too many posts to plow through...

I just unlocked The Lost by using a seed with Isaac that's on the Wiki in order to find Mullibooms on the first floor, and it worked.

JTMD EZPF if someone's interested.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Tammy's Head is actually incredible if you have brimstone or are Azazel, I've oneshot bosses with it and it also has a one room cool down. With the Habit it alone has taken me through the Chest.

Death's scythe tears are another one that works really well with it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Really nice combo: two-room charge items (like Shoop Da Whoop) and the battery trinket. Let's me shoot a big laser to clear things out every room.

E: gently caress walking Hosts. They're the worst goddamned enemy in the game.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 14, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Death's scythe tears are another one that works really well with it.

I call it the Babby Blender.

Seriously, Tammy's Head + Scythes one shot every single room short of Isaac. Guppy's Head is stronk, Tammy's Head is downright gamebreaking.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Magres posted:

Really nice combo: two-room charge items (like Shoop Da Whoop) and the battery trinket. Let's me shoot a big laser to clear things out every room.

E: gently caress walking Hosts. They're the worst goddamned enemy in the game.

Actually the worst enemies are those depressed-looking spiders that run away and spaz out while spitting out more spiders, mostly because you usually don't have anything flashy or powerful at that point and it takes about twenty years to catch and kill them in some rooms.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yep. At max Luck it scales up to 100%. Luck is tough to level up in this game though, so you'd need tons of Luck up pills to get to max.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

IGgy IGsen posted:

You sound a little sad that they fixed a bug.
Don't worry, the cat always was poo poo in Isaac, all it did was raise your death counter.

It's got a couple uses. I salvaged a bad run with it and the Suicide King card. You can also in a pinch use it with guppy's paw to save a run. If you die you revive with one heart that can be turned into 3 soul hearts. Leave all the soul hearts on a level and collect them right before the boss. Obviously if all you care about is your K/D then it's not good.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Actually the worst enemies are those depressed-looking spiders that run away and spaz out while spitting out more spiders, mostly because you usually don't have anything flashy or powerful at that point and it takes about twenty years to catch and kill them in some rooms.

I hate them too, but they don't just flat out end runs the way walking Hosts do in turret rooms.

Also, love getting unavoidable damage from Mega Fatty. I was already full sprint across the room and BABOOM he leaps and stomps on me in a tenth of a second to ding me and ruin my Angel Room chances for the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Spoon
Sep 20, 2012
:stare: Hey, kids, wanna kill ??? in ten seconds? Here's a seed for you!

6W2A
11V0

I got Ludovico with Mom's Eyeshadow early on, Guppy mode activated at the Cathedral, and on top of it all, both Balls of Steel and Luck Up pills were in the pool. I don't think I've ever had an easier Chest clear, since all I had to do was set the tear on an enemy and watch as hundreds of angry flies murdered them while I flew in circles. I also snagged Placenta early on, because hey, might as well add infinite regen to that.