Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jrodefeld posted:

This tactic is quite desperate Caros. We could have a thoughtful and productive discussion on a variety of important issues but you don't need to poison the well by hurling epithets. It indeed is hard to continue to take the high road, when you are desperate to prove that libertarianism is the ideology of white supremacists and racists.

Also misogynists! Let's not forget the misogynists.

jrod has been driven mad by discussion of racism and misogyny in his favorite authors and now has decided to descend into self-parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

jrodefeld posted:

This tactic is quite desperate Caros. We could have a thoughtful and productive discussion on a variety of important issues but you don't need to poison the well by hurling epithets. It indeed is hard to continue to take the high road, when you are desperate to prove that libertarianism is the ideology of white supremacists and racists.

George loving Reisman posted:

Colleges and universities in the United States have demonstrated such utter philosophical corruption in connection with this subject, that if there were a group of students who could be found willing to assert with pride their descent from the Vandals or Huns and to demand courses on the cultural contribution of their ancestors, the schools would provide such courses. All that the students would have to do to get their way is to act the part of their ancestors and threaten to burn down the campus.

But what best sums up everything involved is this: from now on, in the state of California, a student is to go through twelve years of public school, and the explicit goal of his education is that at the end of it, if he envisions Columbus being greeted by spear-carrying savages, and he happens not to be white, he should identify with the savages--and if he does happen to be white, and therefore is allowed to identify with Columbus, he should not have any idea of why it is any better to identify with Columbus than with the savages.

This is no longer an educational system. Its character has been completely transformed and it now clearly reveals itself to be what for many decades it has been in the process of becoming: namely, an agency working for the barbarization of youth.

Jesus loving Christ JRod, I have no more patience for you. You are either willfully ignorant or a full-on apologist, but either way, you provide nothing of value to society and your opinions should be actively subverted.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

CommieGIR posted:

Therein lies the problem: His ancillary thoughts directly influence his economic work and 'logical' deductive philosophies.

I don't accept that is being valid. There is a reason that there are socially conservative libertarians and socially liberal libertarians who agree on nearly all matters of actual policy. Accepting the non-aggression principle and the free market has nothing to do with what our other social beliefs may be. It only implies that we have concluded that aggression is immoral. I consider myself much more socially liberal that someone like Hoppe or even Ron Paul. But I like them because they would never advocate using violence against me. I could live my life around people who share my values while religious and social conservatives could life their life and live in communities of like minded individuals.

But we would both agree that neither of us will use force and aggression against the other.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

This man knows whats up. Allowing the market to be flooded with completely untested drugs will save so many lives!

Edit: Everything about his Twitter is gold. Hell his first post is how the return of Child Labour will solve youth crime.

Fans fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 14, 2014

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Holy poo poo I used to dislike libertarians for having their heads up their asses but this thread and especially the last few pages have shown me just how toxic their ideology really is.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

jrodefeld posted:

It is funny that most of his argument is very similar to the "elitist" leftist who argues for the objective superiority of the scientific method, of atheism, of acceptance of climate change over the stupid and primitive superstitions of primitive cultures.

Ahaha, of loving course you're a climate change denier. I should have known.

archangelwar posted:

Jesus loving Christ JRod, I have no more patience for you. You are either willfully ignorant or a full-on apologist, but either way, you provide nothing of value to society and your opinions should be actively subverted.

Just for the record, jrod, unironically calling a group of people "savages" is absolutely, 100% racist, nearly on the same level as throwing around racial epithets.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Lol jrod you don't get to claim the high road when you are constantly implying that Caros is irrational, desperate, intellectually dishonest, and all those other pejoratives that could more accurately be attributed to yourself.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cnidaria posted:

Holy poo poo I used to dislike libertarians for having their heads up their asses but this thread and especially the last few pages have shown me just how toxic their ideology really is.

It is unironically a cancer upon society and its prophets should be removed from the public at large by force.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

You have discredited yourself, Caros. Just when I thought we were getting along and having a reasonable intellectual discussion, you go off on this tangent about how everyone who is a libertarian is a "racist", but attacking George Reisman is a bridge too far.

Oh no! A bridge too far!? Are you going to leave then? Because that isn't really all that much of a threat considering the fact you're arguing in offensively bad taste. And no, not every libertarian is a racist, just most of the ones you cite in this thread and a strong undercurrent in the libertarian party in the USA. Most, not all.

quote:

Do you even know who George Reisman is? He is one of the most brilliant living economists and historians. His book "Capitalism: An Economic Treatise" is one of the best and most comprehensive defenses of capitalism and the market economy that has ever been written. The man is incredibly accomplished and a studious intellectual.

Yup, he is part of Ayn Rand's cult. You remember her don't you, you remember how you pointed out her creepy cult like environment and all the problems associated with it? Well guess what, he is a byproduct of that situation, and while he might have divorced himself from the movement proper he still describes himself as one and it shows through and through his work.

That art thing actually makes even more sense now that I think about it, because one of Rand's hilarious quirks was that she thought you could objectively decide the quality of art, something which... well... humanity would tell you is so full of poo poo her eyes should be brown.

quote:

Yet you demean him by throwing around the pejorative "racist" to describe him. No rational person could read Reisman's quotes and writing and consider it racist. As he stated quite clearly, culture is an intellectual matter and open to everyone. If certain cultural values are more enlightened than others, everyone stands to benefit from their adoption.

OH NOES! Guys, it turns out I must not be rational, because when I read something like this:

"Among other things, it shows why the proposition “Columbus Discovered America” should be true for everyone."

I happen to think that is a pretty racist statement. I mean it is objectively untrue for starters, and moreover it implies exactly what he is intending, that white culture is somehow objectively better than other cultures. Do you really not see how someone, anyone might see a white man insisting that western (white) culture is superior to all others, and that we should all ignore our savage heritage in favor of it? Do you really not see how that could be considered racist?

Whupty loving do, its open to everyone. What if someone likes their old culture? What if someone happens to like chinese, or japanese, or russian, or native american culture better? How the gently caress do you make an objective judgement that your culture is the best? I mean, I know how he does it, because he is a follower of a deluded cult that believes that you can objectively prove everything. A=A whites culture is the best!

quote:

It is funny that most of his argument is very similar to the "elitist" leftist who argues for the objective superiority of the scientific method, of atheism, of acceptance of climate change over the stupid and primitive superstitions of primitive cultures.

That isn't the argument he is making. The scientific method is not unique to loving white people.

quote:

Whether Reisman is correct that Western culture as he defines it is indeed superior to other cultures is up for debate. But it seems absurd to think that all cultural values are equal in value. If one culture believes in science, in intellectualism, in philosophy, the market economy, progress, peace and cooperation and other believes in superstition and religious fundamentalism, is it "racist" to say that the values expressed by the former are better than those expressed by the latter?

Thank you! It is up for debate. As in, it is subjective, as in it is not objectively loving true. You disagree with Reisman on the thesis of his argument, do you realize that?

As for the latter part of your argument? Yes, I'd argue it is. There is no such thing as an objectively best culture, and trying to put your own culture up on a pedestal above all other human achievement is a really hosed up thing to do.

quote:

Over multiple threads you have made no attempt to actually change your opinion on anything. I want you to realize that. We could literally be back in the very first thread you were in and we could be having this exact same discussion, because you have no interest in actually taking anything away from this discussion. I came to this realization just the other day in fact, which is why I'm hurling a lot more profanity and just generally not giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Seriously, the fact that you can try and tell me with a straight face that Stefan Molyneux is not a misogynist is really all I need to know about you. The only thing I'm desperate for is that I am desperately trying to crack your outer shell and maybe just this once make you realize that your idols are not perfect. But I won't.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Not Racist at allll

Edit: Holy poo poo, he literally condones killing Civilians if "Aggressors" hide behind them otherwise they won't learn and if you kill a Civilian this way it's the "Aggressors" fault not yours. How the gently caress does anyone take this seriously?

Fans fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 14, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fans posted:

This man knows whats up. Allowing the market to be flooded with completely untested drugs will save so many lives!

Edit: Everything about his Twitter is gold. Hell his first post is how the return of Child Labour will solve youth crime.

The best part of this complaint? The drug he is railing against was actually produced by a grant from the government of Canada. Its the government all the way down, the private market had nothing to do with it.

Fans posted:

Not Racist at allll

Hahahahahahaha!

Well I suppose that is one way to do it. The big tent approach. All cultures who are not literal loving cave men are westerners. And western culture is the best culture.

I will agree with that. gently caress Homo Neanderthal, he had his time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
George Reisman is one of the stupidest men of our age and a disgusting bigot unworthy of being spat on if he were on fire. The fact that you hold him in such high regard shows a gross lack of good morality on your own part, jrod.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Caros did you ever see the post where JRod reveals he's actually just a mises.org shill? It was a relatively short post of his so I feel like it'd be pretty easy to miss!

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It is unironically a cancer upon society and its prophets should be removed from the public at large by force.

It is a cancer that is objectively worse than a torch wielding Klan member, as it is the cornerstone of the institutional racism, bigotry, and misogyny that infests the "objectively superior Western Culture™". It is easy for society to marginalize the KKK while people like this pervade the "cultural elite."

Caros
May 14, 2008

paragon1 posted:

Caros did you ever see the post where JRod reveals he's actually just a mises.org shill? It was a relatively short post of his so I feel like it'd be pretty easy to miss!

Nope, got a link?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Caros posted:

Nope, got a link?

poo poo I can't loving find it, maybe I imagined it? I'll keep looking.

Edit:

Here it is!

jrodefeld posted:

If I was seeking to cite some statistic or fact to back up a point I was making I could link to some non-political independent resource for such facts.

However, when I am quoting a libertarian author on a specific point, then of course I would link to a libertarian website. The sheer amount of material available at the Mises Institute website is staggering. It is like a compilation of every major libertarian author and economist's published works in one place.

Would you really be more persuaded if I linked to another libertarian website? What if I linked to the Future of Freedom Foundation? Or LewRockwell.com?

In the above post I was linking to the written work of Stephan Kinsella who has done more work on the subject of IP than any other libertarian author. And, luckily, almost his entire published work is available for free on Mises.org.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 14, 2014

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I'm still tickled that Jrodefield has trumpeted the triumph of white/European culture and economics which has (supposedly) lifted up many (while claiming not to be racist too).

Meanwhile, that same white/European culture has found its greatest tool to advance its economic, political, and cultural aims to be acts of aggression - sometimes the most violent and brutal acts of aggression in the history of the world.

Can a guy be that dense? I don't actually believe he is a libertarian. He's like an environmentalist living in an urban area - not very serious about his beliefs or supposed values. (Paraphrasing his own words.)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Last one I promise. George Reisman solves the nature of the universe in eight tweets.

QED Take that science.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fans posted:

Last one I promise. George Reisman solves the nature of the universe in eight tweets.

QED Take that science.

Woot, now I have a new Objectivist.png to show people. Please feel free to keep mining his twitter for humor.

Jrodefeld, what do you say to the fact that George Reisman just logically disproved the big bang?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fans posted:

QED Take that science.

Alright jrod enough with you and band of loving retarded prophets, up against the wall with all of you

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fans posted:

QED Take that science.

Libertarian genius and, to quote Jrod, "one of the most brilliant living economists and historians": functionally indistinguishable from a burnout's :350: revelation.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Fans posted:

QED Take that science.

Holy poo poo. Is that for real?

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 31, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fans posted:

QED Take that science.

I think this man might literally be retarded.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Libertarian genius and, to quote Jrod, "one of the most brilliant living economists and historians": functionally indistinguishable from a burnout's :350: revelation.

Who What Now posted:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Alright jrod enough with you and band of loving retarded prophets, up against the wall with all of you

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

jrodefeld posted:

Do you even know who George Reisman is? He is one of the most brilliant living economists and historians. His book "Capitalism: An Economic Treatise" is one of the best and most comprehensive defenses of capitalism and the market economy that has ever been written. The man is incredibly accomplished and a studious intellectual.

Did you copy/paste from someone, cause the specific wording and open dick-sucking of Reisman sounds like the vague endorsement that oft appears on book covers.

Also, George Reisman is; a Randroid, a nobody outside the small, incestuous circle of Objectivists and Austrians, and a joke to the non-crazy economic mainstream.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

It really is astounding. I do wonder if Jrod is going to reply at all now that we've pointed out that he's not only certainly a racist, but also has a delusion in which he thinks he knows more than actual scientists.

This is a fun one:

quote:

Labor Unions Are Anti-Labor

Many Americans, perhaps a substantial majority, still believe that, irrespective of any problems they may have caused, labor unions are fundamentally an institution that exists in the vital self-interests of wage earners. Indeed, that it is labor unions that stand between the average wage earner and a life of subsistence wages, exhausting hours of work, and horrific working conditions.
Nevertheless, labor unions (and the public at large) have a profoundly flawed understanding of how real wages and the general standard of living are increased. For the individual, the simplest, most direct and obvious method for improving his standard of living is to go out and earn more money. People observe this behavior of individuals and assume that it is also feasible for labor unions to raise the standard of living of wage earners throughout the economic system simply by increasing the money that wage earners are paid.
This is an enormous error.
The goal of earning higher money wages is perfectly rational and socially beneficial when pursued by individuals. But it is contrary to purpose, highly destructive, and downright antisocial when pursued by labor unions.

When pursued by an individual, the goal of earning more money almost always requires that he increase the supply of goods or services that he produces. This increase in the supply of goods or services not only serves to increase the money earned by this particular individual but, at the same time, it also serves to increase the overall supply of goods and services in the economic system. This, in turn, serves, however slightly in most cases, to reduce the prices paid by the buyers of the goods or services whose supply has been increased. (There are numerous cases in which the increase in supply accompanying the earning of more money is quite substantial, as when productive geniuses revolutionize entire industries. In these cases, however, the individuals concerned will almost certainly not be wage earners but businessmen and capitalists, and the increased money incomes in question will be profits, not wages.)

What is crucial to realize is that the reduction in prices that results from additional production and supply serves to raise the real wages of all those wage earners throughout the economic system who are buyers of the goods or services concerned. Real wages are the goods and services that wage earners are able to buy with the money they earn. They are always the reflection of the relationship between money wages on the one side and the prices of goods and services on the other. Increases in production and supply raise real wages by virtue of reducing prices and thus enabling any given amount of money wages to buy more. In this way, they correspondingly raise the wage earner’s standard of living.

Labor unions and the general public almost totally ignore the essential role played by falling prices in achieving rising real wages. They see only the rise in money wages as worthy of consideration. Indeed, in our environment of chronic inflation, prices that actually do fall are relatively rare.
Nevertheless, the only thing that can explain a rise in real wages throughout the economic system is a fall in prices relative to wages. And the only thing that achieves this is an increase in production per worker. More production per worker—a higher productivity of labor—serves to increase the supply of goods and services produced relative to the supply of labor that produces them. In this way, it reduces prices relative to wages and thereby raises real wages and the general standard of living.

What raises money wages throughout the economic system is not what is responsible for the rise in real wages. That is essentially just the increase in the quantity of money and resulting increase in the overall volume of spending in the economic system. In the absence of a rising productivity of labor, the increase in money and spending would operate to raise prices by as much or more than it raised wages. This outcome is prevented only by the fact that at the same time that the quantity of money and volume of spending are increasing, the output per worker is also increasing, with the result that prices rise by less than wages. A fall in prices is still present in the form of prices being lower than they would have been had only an increase in the quantity of money and volume of spending been operative.

With relatively minor exceptions, real wages throughout the economic system simply do not rise from the side of higher money wages. Essentially, they rise only from the side of a greater supply of goods and services relative to the supply of labor and thus from prices being lower relative to wages. The truth is that the means by which the standard of living of the individual wage earner and the individual businessman and capitalist is increased, and the means by which that of the average wage earner in the economic system is increased, are very different. For the individual, it is the earning of more money. For the average wage earner in the economic system, it is the payment of lower prices.

What this discussion shows is that the increase in money wages that labor unions seek is not at all the source of rising real wages and that the source of rising real wages is in fact a rising productivity of labor, which always operates from the side of falling prices, not rising money wages. The plain fact is that in their concentration on increasing money wages, labor unions demonstrate that they are utterly ignorant of the process by which real wages and the standard of living are increased. Indeed, their efforts to raise money wages are profoundly opposed to the goal of raising real wages and the standard of living.

When the unions seek to raise the standard of living of their members by means of raising their money wages, their policy inevitably reduces to the attempt to make the labor of their members artificially scarce. That is their only means of raising the wages of their members. The unions do not have much actual power over the demand for labor. But they often achieve considerable power over the supply of labor. And their actual technique for raising wages is to make the supply of labor, at least in the particular industry or occupation that a given union is concerned with, as scarce as possible.

Thus, whenever they can, unions attempt to gain con­trol over entry into the labor market. They seek to impose apprenticeship programs, or to have licensing require­ments imposed by the government. Such measures are for the purpose of holding down the supply of labor in the field and thereby enabling those fortunate enough to be admitted to it, to earn higher incomes. Even when the unions do not succeed in directly reducing the supply of labor, the imposition of their above-market wage demands still has the effect of reducing the number of jobs offered in the field and thus the supply of labor in the field that is able to find work.

If the unions were confined to just one or a small number of industries, and did not have the power to determine wage rates in the rest of the economic system, their achievement of higher wages in particular indus­tries would not cause unemployment in the economic system as a whole. The workers displaced from the unionized industries would be able to find work—at lower wages—in the nonunion industries. The effect of unions in these circumstances would be the creation of an artificial inequality of wages—higher wages in the unionized fields, based on an artificially imposed scar­city of labor in those fields, accompanied by correspond­ingly lower wages in the nonunion fields, based on an artificially imposed oversupply of labor in those fields.

The artificial wage increases imposed by the labor unions result in unemployment when above-market wages are imposed throughout the economic sys­tem. This situation exists when it is possible for unions to be formed easily. If, as in the present-day United States, all that is required is for a majority of workers in an establishment to decide that they wish to be represented by a union, then the wages imposed by the unions will be effective even in the nonunion fields.

Employers in the nonunion fields will feel compelled to offer their workers wages comparable to what the union workers are receiving—indeed, possi­bly even still higher wages—in order to ensure that they do not unionize. The nonunion employers will be likely to believe that if they do not pay wages comparable to union wages, then they will be faced with a union and, as a result, not only union wages, but also the loss of major management prerogatives concerning the efficiency of production, and thus experience an even greater increase in costs than is incurred merely by matching union wages.

In this case, artificially high wages create unemployment in virtually every line of work, and leave no avenue open for workers displaced from any one branch of production to find work in another, save by displacing still other workers, who then cannot find work. Even if the wage increases caused by the unions are not universal, they will still certainly result in unemployment if they take place alongside the existence of minimum-wage laws and public welfare assistance. Widespread wage increases closing large numbers of workers out of numerous occupations put extreme pres­sure on the wage rates of whatever areas of the economic system may still remain open. These limited areas could absorb the overflow of workers from other lines at low enough wage rates. But minimum-wage laws prevent wage rates in these remaining lines from going low enough to absorb these workers. So too does the exis­tence of public welfare assistance, inasmuch as people are not willing to work at such low wages if they can obtain a comparable or higher income without working.

In these ways, labor unions cause unemployment—and unnecessarily low wages for those who work in whatever lines may remain open to free competition. Indeed, they cause unnecessarily low wage rates even for workers in unionized fields insofar as there are workers in some unionized fields who have been closed out of employment at higher wages in other unionized fields (for example, unionized auto workers who might have worked at higher pay as electricians or plumbers had they not been excluded by unions in those fields).

From the perspective of most of those lucky enough to keep their jobs, the most serious consequence of the unions is the holding down or outright reduction of the productivity of labor. With few exceptions, the labor unions openly combat the rise in the productivity of labor. They do so virtually as a matter of principle. They oppose the introduction of labor-saving machinery on the grounds that it causes unemployment. They oppose competition among workers. As Henry Hazlitt pointed out, they force employers to tolerate feather­bedding practices, such as the classic requirement that firemen, whose function was to shovel coal on steam locomotives, be retained on diesel locomotives. They impose make­work schemes, such as requiring that pipe delivered to construction sites with screw thread already on it, have its ends cut off and new screw thread cut on the site.

They impose narrow work classifications, and require that specialists be employed at a day’s pay to perform work that others could easily do—for example, requiring the employment of a plasterer to repair the incidental dam­age done to a wall by an electrician, which the electrician himself could easily repair. (See Henry Hazlitt, Economics In One Lesson, chaps. VII and VIII.)

To anyone who understands the role of the productivity of labor in raising real wages, it should be obvious that the unions’ policy of combatting the rise in the productivity of labor renders them in fact a leading enemy of the rise in real wages. However radical this conclusion may seem, however much at odds it is with the prevailing view of the unions as the leading source of the rise in real wages over the last hundred and fifty years or more, the fact is that in combatting the rise in the productivity of labor, the unions actively combat the rise in real wages!

The unions are almost certainly unaware of this fact. That is because all that they see and are concerned with is the money wages of their members. They do not care at all about the destructive effect of their actions on the prices of the goods or services their members help to produce and thus on the real wages of all those workers throughout the economic system who are buyers of those goods and services.

In this, their behavior is profoundly antisocial. It is, of course, also antisocial in its indifference to the destruction of employment opportunities in the unionized fields and the consequent reduction of wages in the lines into which the workers displaced by the policy of above-market wages must crowd.

In sum, far from being responsible for improvements in the standard of living of the average worker, labor unions operate in more or less total ignorance of what actually raises the average worker’s standard of living. In consequence of their ignorance, they are responsible for artificial inequalities in wage rates, for unemployment, and for holding down real wages and the av­erage worker’s standard of living. All of these destructive, antisocial consequences derive from the fact that while individuals increase the money they earn through increasing production and the overall supply of goods and services, thereby reducing prices and raising real wages throughout the economic system, labor unions increase the money paid to their members by exactly the opposite means. They reduce the supply and productivity of labor and so reduce the supply and raise the prices of the goods and services their members help to produce, thereby reducing real wages throughout the economic system.

TL;DR - Unions are bad. They upset the delicate balance of supply and demand and thus make everything cost more and decrease the value of real wages. Supposedly.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's weird how Liberarians claim to be Rational but also reject overwhelming Scientific Consensus on things like Climate Change, how do they square that away exactly? They do know what Rational means right?

I mean this whole thing is kind of cultish, with its weird terms and focus on "Thinking Correctly" about things that don't make any loving sense.

How do Libertarians explain things like the East India Companies Opium Wars, Robber Barons or the Mortgage Repackaging Scam that caused the 2007 crash? If Business is so good at self regulating why is it so uniquely awful when it's left to do what it likes?

I mean no one can seriously defend Robber Barons right?

http://mises.org/daily/2317

Whelp.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

FrumpleOrz posted:

Holy poo poo. Is that for real?

100%. I couldn't make it up. He's also a Climate Change Denier of course.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fans posted:

It's weird how Liberarians claim to be Rational but also reject overwhelming Scientific Consensus on things like Climate Change, how do they square that away exactly? They do know what Rational means right?

I mean this whole thing is kind of cultish, with its weird terms and focus on "Thinking Correctly" about things that don't make any loving sense.

How do Libertarians explain things like the East India Companies Opium Wars, Robber Barons or the Mortgage Repackaging Scam that caused the 2007 crash? If Business is so good at self regulating why is it so uniquely awful when it's left to do what it likes?

I mean no one can seriously defend Robber Barons right?

http://mises.org/daily/2317

Whelp.

Option 1: "Those things don't count because The State somehow made them happen."

Option 2: "While those things look bad, they're actually good!"

Caros
May 14, 2008

I have more!

quote:

The “Big Bang” theory and its associated estimate of the age of the universe are not empirical facts of any kind but strictly inferences from propositions that are themselves questionable. Namely, an estimate of the size of the universe and the claim that the universe is expanding and is so at some definite rate. Given a definite size and rate of expansion of the universe, it follows mathematically that at some point, allegedly 13.8 billion years ago, the universe was disappearingly small.

The analogy of a financial “Big Bang” may be useful. Thus, for example, a hypothetical present-day fortune of a trillion dollars might be traced back to the “Big Bang” of the investment of a single penny 339 years ago that has earned a 10 percent compound rate of interest ever since. For 0.01*1.1^339 equals a little more than a trillion dollars. The fortune could be declared to be 339 years old.

In fact, of course, no one has an actual fortune of a trillion dollars, and a uniform rate of compound interest or any rate of interest has never been earned on the same fortune probably even for as long as a single century. So the mathematics does not tell us anything about actual reality here.
So it is with the Big Bang theory. It is an exercise in mathematics. But more than that, it claims the equivalent of $1 trillion being physically stuffed into the space of a single penny. No. It claims the whole physical universe being stuffed into the space of single penny.

quote:

On February 26 and 27, I posted the following comments on the website https://www.regulations.gov. They concerned the proposed regulation IR-2013-92, which is described as "Guidance for Tax-Exempt Social Welfare Organizations on Candidate-Related Political Activities."

Any and all government "guidance" with respect to political activities are ipso facto violations of the freedoms of speech and press, which freedoms are explicitly protected by the US Constitution. It is immoral, unconstitutional, and outrageous for the government to attempt to "guide" [i.e., control] any of its citizens' political activities. Therefore, the IRS's proposed rule for "Tax Exempt Social Welfare Organizations on Candidate-Related Political Activities" known as "Regulation IR-2013-92" should be withdrawn at once.

While it is not accurate to call the IRS a terrorist organization, the IRS is definitely a TERRIFYING organization. Millions of Americans live in dread of its "audits," which trample all rights of privacy and private property. Such dread also inhibits the rights of free speech and free press.
The very existence of the IRS is incompatible with the foundations of the United States as originally conceived, which is why its existence was unconstitutional prior to the enactment of the 16th Amendment. That amendment and the consequent creation of the IRS has changed the character of our country from one inhabited by free and self-confident citizens who could look to their government for protection against thieves and bandits into one made up of frightened cowards, who must live in fear of their government that more and more resembles a gang of bandits.

The IRS must not add to its already rampant trampling of individual rights any new abridgement. It must not seek to further silence its helpless victims by this new proposed rule for "guiding" their political activities.

Whew, I was worried that the IRS might actually be a terrorist organization. Also apparently everyone in the US is a coward frightened of the IRS. For anyone who is curious the rule he is railing against has to do with 501(c)4 groups. These are non-profit organizations that are not allowed to engage in political speech by law, and the rule is a clarification to help enforce said law.

Also, total aside but I love that he only publishes on kindle, because I suspect any real publisher would laugh at his garbage. God his covers are so, so amateur.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Caros posted:

Also, total aside but I love that he only publishes on kindle, because I suspect any real publisher would laugh at his garbage. God his covers are so, so amateur.

Wow you weren't kidding, this poo poo looks like something I could whip up in 5 minutes with Paint.

e:

quote:

Capitalism: A Treatise on Economics
May 19, 2012 | Kindle eBook
by George Reisman
$95.00Print Price
Kindle Edition
$9.99
You Save: $85.01 (89%)
Auto-delivered wirelessly

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 14, 2014

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

jrodefeld posted:

:qq: Now see here, I may be defending the honor of a man who is a Nazi in all but name, neo-Confederates who really want their state based around slavery back, and rampant misogynists who treat women as cattle slaves, but don't you hurt my precious George Reisman! :qq:

JRod I hope you understand just how utterly worthless your condemnation of anyone is. It's cool if you think these guys are the poo poo but you've been defending increasingly repulsive people for the past few pages, and doing so with such vigor that I don't know why you'd think being outraged that someone has a problem with yet another of your heroes would make us suddenly realize how horrible we really are.

You've given up arguing Libertarianism from an economic, ethical/moral, logical, and really all other perspectives and now just dig in hard to fight the good fight against the PC police and libertards who believe in "global warming" and "the big bang theory" and all numbers of scientific hoaxes. Congratulations on finding your real passion in life, I guess.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fans posted:

100%. I couldn't make it up. He's also a Climate Change Denier of course.

Because of course he is.

I'm just sitting here shaking my head. It costs like... ten bucks to get someone to make a cover for your book. It costs maybe $100 if you want something really nice. Such astounding laziness. Then again he's probably saving that money for buying reviews...

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Oh he's a professor at Pepperdine. Yeah that's not a bad sign or anything.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
And JRod, you are factually incorrect about the influence of George Reisman; he is a fringe ideologue and has absolutely no impact on modern economic consensus and is most certainly not a peer of the mainstream neoclassicals. You have your head so firmly lodged inside your rear end, you don't even know what prevailing economic thought is. At least I can admit that my particular view of economics is firmly among the heterodoxy.

DEKH
Jan 4, 2014
I'm thinking about posting a fairly long effort post on my reservations about the plausibility of anarchist or non state legal systems. (I'm an American attorney specializing in research.) But with Jrodefeld getting increasingly ridiculous I'm losing enthusiasm. Does anyone have any interest in reading such a thing?

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

DEKH posted:

I'm thinking about posting a fairly long effort post on my reservations about the plausibility of anarchist or non state legal systems. (I'm an American attorney specializing in research.) But with Jrodefeld getting increasingly ridiculous I'm losing enthusiasm. Does anyone have any interest in reading such a thing?

That sounds interesting and I'm sure it would be appreciated.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Yeah, please do.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

DEKH posted:

I'd read the hell out of it, doubly so if it includes analysis of historical ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

George Reisman posted:

And by that perspective, if an american indian were educated and made western civilization his own, because he understood mathematics, science and the laws of logic and all of the other essentials of western civilization, and when he was asked who discovered america, he would say columbus. Because he would understand that columbus was the one who brought to the western hemisphere his ideas and values, what were now his ideas and values.

Well, I was wondering what the answer would be to my question about how Western (white, male, heterosexual) culture actually owes a lot to the philosophical and scientific achievements of dirty brown and yellow people, but here it is. Anything discovered by a non-white doesn't count! The discoverer is the first white man to come across it.

The Chinese didn't invent gunpowder, the Arabs and Persians didn't invent chemistry or algebra or the compass. The Native Americans didn't discover America or tabacco or how to make American corn edible. All of those things were discovered by the first white man to lay eyes on them! :pseudo:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 15, 2014