Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More info about Lollipop root and CF-Auto-Root from Chainfire here:

https://plus.google.com/113517319477420052449/posts/EC5MhqFFqMK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Skeezy posted:

Honestly I wonder if he's even going to bother doing it.

Ugh, if he doesn't I hope someone does. I wouldn't root at all if stock offered half the customization GravityBox does, but as it is I'm probably going to hold off on updating for a little while over it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, what's the fastest way from a 4.4.4 ROM to 5.0 on a Nexus 7 (2012)? I've used various ROMs on it since the day I bought it, but I'm kind of tired of loving with them and just want stock 5.0 plus root

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

So, what's the fastest way from a 4.4.4 ROM to 5.0 on a Nexus 7 (2012)? I've used various ROMs on it since the day I bought it, but I'm kind of tired of loving with them and just want stock 5.0 plus root
Just flash the factory image with fastboot (with wipe).

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Skeezy posted:

Honestly I wonder if he's even going to bother doing it.
He says he's done some work on it but has been waiting on the final release before going too far into it. I imagine it'll be at least a couple of weeks before we know if it's going to happen.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

XIII posted:

I'm currious how this works out for you. I swappa'd my 2012 N7 and bought a 2013 N7 with the proceeds because there wasn't enough ram. I wonder if 5.0 will be easier for it to manage than 4.4

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

deong posted:

I'm currious how this works out for you. I swappa'd my 2012 N7 and bought a 2013 N7 with the proceeds because there wasn't enough ram. I wonder if 5.0 will be easier for it to manage than 4.4

I'll never tell you.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

deong posted:

My 2013 on 5.0 with root and TWRP runs amazing. I was running ART on 4.4.4 and it behaved pretty much the same.

Edit : only now have i realized you were probably stating curiosity on how the 2012 would have handled 5.0. I'm an idiot.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 13, 2014

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Nerdrock posted:

My 2013 on 5.0 with root and TWRP runs amazing. I was running ART on 4.4.4 and it behaved pretty much the same.

Oh yea. I just flashed the new 5.0 on the 2013 N7 and its working a lot better than the preview was. I installed the first preview and it would have niggly little issues with closing apps on me. So far it seems better. I'm just kind of curious how the 2012 fares.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
aving popped 5 on my nexus 10 I'm really hoping he gets round to it soon because holy gently caress the size of the icons and the absurd spacing between them.

Oddly, the default launcher is slightly better for this than the Google Now one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is there any way to save text messages when flashing a new ROM? My Razr MAXX had an official update pushed like 4 months ago that someone using my phone clicked yes on, and it unrooted my phone and is now running like rear end to point where my annoyance has finally outweighed my laziness.

Problem is I have a lot of text message conversations I want to save, and I'm not sure if Titty Backup (if it has the option) will work without root access.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Fuzz posted:

Is there any way to save text messages when flashing a new ROM? My Razr MAXX had an official update pushed like 4 months ago that someone using my phone clicked yes on, and it unrooted my phone and is now running like rear end to point where my annoyance has finally outweighed my laziness.

Problem is I have a lot of text message conversations I want to save, and I'm not sure if Titty Backup (if it has the option) will work without root access.

SMS Backup and Restore

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Is there any way to change the white home button and google search bar to semi transparent like they were in kitkat? And change the app drawer to black instead of white. Rooted Nexus 5 lollipop.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 14, 2014

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

r0ck0 posted:

Is there any way to change the white home button and google search bar to semi transparent like they were in kitkat? And change the app drawer to black instead of white. Rooted Nexus 5 lollipop.

It's bugging me enough that I've stuck Nova Launcher on for now, hopefully Xposed/gravitybox will be up and running soon enough.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Shannow posted:

It's bugging me enough that I've stuck Nova Launcher on for now, hopefully Xposed/gravitybox will be up and running soon enough.

I just came back to ask if anyone was using nova launcher. How are you liking it? I'm gonna install it tonight.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

r0ck0 posted:

I just came back to ask if anyone was using nova launcher. How are you liking it? I'm gonna install it tonight.

It's not bad, though not nearly as configurable as gravitybox + xposed gels. Takes a bit of loving about to get it near as I'd like it. For comparison, here's what I had my N10 set up like originally

Here's lollipop where I decided 'gently caress this'

Widget spacing is all kinds of screwy as well.

And I've not finished adding icons but this is about as close as Nova is getting.

I'm not overly delighted about the sound search text being all in caps or the lack of transparency on the calendar app either.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could you make the screenshots a bit bigger? As it is they almost fit inside my house.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I installed nova and liked what it did with the search bar, app tray and home button but hated everything else. sigh

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

r0ck0 posted:

I installed nova and liked what it did with the search bar, app tray and home button but hated everything else. sigh

What do you hate? It's highly customizable.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Anyone here using a note 2 that can recommend a good ROM? My battery lasts like 8 hours these days.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

always be closing posted:

Anyone here using a note 2 that can recommend a good ROM? My battery lasts like 8 hours these days.

I can't, but I can mention that you can get a new battery for less than 10 dollars on amazon / ebay wherever, and that might help your issue as well.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I use LiquidSmooth's KK rom and it's pretty slick. Looking forward to a 5.0 release.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What do you hate? It's highly customizable.

I like the google now page, :3: and the icon spacing and other minor things just make it look bad. I didn't want to fiddle with all the options to get it back to looking stock.

What is the latest in trusted bluetooth devices for lollipop? Something to always carry around that keeps the phone unlocked? Anyone tested the wallet finder things to see if they work even though they are low energy? I used a bluetooth keyboard at home last night, it worked but after about an hour it would disconnect/timeout without input.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I use Omni on my Note 2, after testing a LOT of roms it was the only one I liked.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2493772

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

r0ck0 posted:

I like the google now page, :3: and the icon spacing and other minor things just make it look bad. I didn't want to fiddle with all the options to get it back to looking stock.

What is the latest in trusted bluetooth devices for lollipop? Something to always carry around that keeps the phone unlocked? Anyone tested the wallet finder things to see if they work even though they are low energy? I used a bluetooth keyboard at home last night, it worked but after about an hour it would disconnect/timeout without input.

The LE stuff doesnt work. Best looking thing at the moment is the Motorola power pack micro.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Skarsnik posted:

The LE stuff doesnt work. Best looking thing at the moment is the Motorola power pack micro.

Ugh, that thing is huge.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

r0ck0 posted:

Ugh, that thing is huge.

Yup, but basically anything that is gonna work is going to need charging. If you are happy to charge your keys as well as your phone, get a cobra tag.

The nice thing about the power pack is that it will last for ages (in the bottom of your bag)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Skarsnik posted:

it will last for ages (in the bottom of your bag)

You think I carry a murse?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

The nice thing about the power pack is that it will last for ages (in the bottom of your cargo-jorts pocket)

ftfy

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ah whatever, I have a rucksack with me most places I go.

Shame you can't get it in the UK :(

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Does anyone else have that generic blue avatar thing in the top right of their lock screen? I just sideloaded the update on my buddies nexus 7 and the avatar is his google+ picture. I did a clean install but I entered my google account creds during the first boot. Anyway to update that little generic avatar?

edit: I found it! Settings > users > tap the user to change, tap the generic avatar icon and chose from the drop down. Pretty nice.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 14, 2014

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

r0ck0 posted:

Does anyone else have that generic blue avatar thing in the top right of their lock screen? I just sideloaded the update on my buddies nexus 7 and the avatar is his google+ picture. I did a clean install but I entered my google account creds during the first boot. Anyway to update that little generic avatar?

You have to install Google+ and enable contact sync.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So here's a thing. For whatever reason, when I popped lollipop on my N10, my wifi settings didn't get restore to it meaning I'll have to put them all in again.
Bit of googling to find where they're stored on my n5 and it's a .conf file where they're all stored in plaintext but if i try copy/pasting the settings from the N5 onto the N10file, wifi stops working completely on a reboot/cycling airplane mode, any ideas? They seem to be in the same format so it's a headscratcher.
Also loving hell Google let us manually redownload this poo poo if it fucks up as often happens.

Any suggestions/things i'm missing here? on the right is the current working conf file (yes im copy pasting from the ssids onward leaving the stuff at the start)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

nimper posted:

You have to install Google+ and enable contact sync.

Yep, thats the real solution, my edit is a work around.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shannow posted:

if i try copy/pasting the settings from the N5 onto the N10file, wifi stops working completely on a reboot/cycling airplane mode, any ideas?

Use a different editor. Note the lack of newlines as displayed in Notepad. That's because it's a Unix-format text file, which only uses "CR" (Carriage Return) for a newline rather than "CRLF" (Carriage Return followed by Line Feed) like Windows does. Notepad doesn't understand this properly and is likely screwing up either the existing CR-only newlines or adding its own CRLFs which are confusing the wireless software on the phone.

I recommend Notepad++. It's open source and has syntax highlighting for most popular languages as a bonus.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

wolrah posted:

Use a different editor. Note the lack of newlines as displayed in Notepad. That's because it's a Unix-format text file, which only uses "CR" (Carriage Return) for a newline rather than "CRLF" (Carriage Return followed by Line Feed) like Windows does. Notepad doesn't understand this properly and is likely screwing up either the existing CR-only newlines or adding its own CRLFs which are confusing the wireless software on the phone.

I recommend Notepad++. It's open source and has syntax highlighting for most popular languages as a bonus.

Just gave that a go, still not happening. Turn wifi on, the button moves, but it still says 'to see available networks switch wifi on you dumb motherfucker' beneath it.
Delete the .conf file in place and it generates a new one with just the N10 info at the start, add the ssid for the house, fine, add in the entries from the other, broken again. This is hurting my head.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shannow posted:

Just gave that a go, still not happening. Turn wifi on, the button moves, but it still says 'to see available networks switch wifi on you dumb motherfucker' beneath it.
Delete the .conf file in place and it generates a new one with just the N10 info at the start, add the ssid for the house, fine, add in the entries from the other, broken again. This is hurting my head.

Make sure the file still has the same permissions after you edit it. If the wifi service can't access the file it might not work properly.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Make sure the file still has the same permissions after you edit it. If the wifi service can't access the file it might not work properly.

You are a hero. Attributes in super manager just needed to be set to what the original files were, many thanks.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
I have a rooted 4.4.3 LG G3 on Verizon and they have been trying to push an update to my phone for a week or so now. It fails everytime (assuming because I'm rooted). I don't mind not getting the update (it's a camera update) but it prompts me to install the update 3-4 times a day. Anyone know a way to get this to leave me alone?

Not that I think it matters but the error message is: "Sorry, there was a problem updating your LG VS985. No changes were made".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just added these additional sources to my adaway. Got them from adblock plus, obviously. Anyone got any other sources that should be used?

Blocks all the stupid social media buttons on sites
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/fanboy-social.txt

Blocks tracking and other privacy things
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy.txt