Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr Christmas posted:

Even worse, they had already tried and lost using that strategy in 2010.

And things now are way better than they were in 2010. But yet, Obama continues to be black...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Seriously. That law is loving disgusting.

"loving Florida" is something you can say without a specific subject in mind.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I always hated how professional pundits get paid to say meaningless drivel on TV like "Republicans/Democrats will be doing some soul-searching" every two years after an election. They said it for Republicans in '06, '08 and '12; and Dems in '04 and '10. I still have no clue what that "soul searching" amounted to because it didn't happen. Glad Stewart finally pointed out it's bullshit. (I also have flashbacks or how the media turned the '10 midterms from an anti-incumbency narrative to a women's night narrative because of the lack of other interesting ways to spin it.)

I don't know if I want to continue the Reince Priebus discussion. Oddly, I didn't mind it too much; it was a "Republican night". Yeah, I called bullshit too when Priebus said it was Obama who refused to negotiate with the Republicans, but I'm not sure what good it would have done had Stewart called him out on it when people already voted (or didn't) and the Democrats have shown to be willfully spineless.

I guess I'm weird. I can, to a limited extent, sit through Stewart letting people like Bill O'Reilly or Priebus use TDS as a platform; but I skip interviews with Ben Affleck or Lena Dunham altogether because seeing Jon suck up to them will infuriate me more.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I'd love to see Kay Hagan one of those other Democrats interviewed and asked point blank about their strategy of running away from Obama. Unfortunately it might not be on TDS if they keep throwing softballs in their interviews.

Regardless at some point someone needs to be held accountable for their ridiculous decisions.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Knucklebear posted:

Regardless at some point someone needs to be held accountable for their ridiculous decisions.

No one in Washington is ever held accountable except for two things: a perceived betrayal of their base, or a sex scandel (and the latter is only sometimes). Hell, no one was held accountable for the loving Iraq War. You might as well be waiting for the rapture.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Paper Kaiju posted:

No one in Washington is ever held accountable except for two things: a perceived betrayal of their base, or a sex scandel (and the latter is only sometimes). Hell, no one was held accountable for the loving Iraq War. You might as well be waiting for the rapture.

Don't worry, I'm sure any part of the next two years that isn't spent trying to repeal Obamacare will be spent getting to the bottom of Benghazi!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Barely a week out and a correspondent comes back to Austin already. :v:

I think the APD came off pretty well in the segment. I have zero problem believing that there's more a reaction to police shooting a dog than a person. :sigh:

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
37%? Jesus Christ, that's appalling. Thanks, America. :mad:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I wonder if Jon thinks the soldiers we sent to Africa are just blasting Ebola victims. He seemed to legit not grasp what advisors and their aides are.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Paper Kaiju posted:

No one in Washington is ever held accountable except for two things: a perceived betrayal of their base, or a sex scandel (and the latter is only sometimes).

David Vitter pretty much proved that the latter is no longer a factor.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I know one of the guys in Jordan Klepper's panel; one of the white guys that Klepper called a cop.

He's local reporter Charlie Kratovil. He's... an interesting character to say the least. Small world. Not sure why Klepper needed a New Jersey panel.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 11, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I wonder if Jon thinks the soldiers we sent to Africa are just blasting Ebola victims. He seemed to legit not grasp what advisors and their aides are.

Seriously, you could probably name a dozen legit things wrong with getting involved in Iraq again and he managed to find the most bad-faith argument of all. I mean I guess it would be understandable to think that if you're not familiar with military bureaucracy, but he should know better.

404GoonNotFound posted:

David Vitter pretty much proved that the latter is no longer a factor.

Also Mark Sanford, although it's not entirely clear whether that is just a matter of South Carolina being full of fuckups.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 11, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know I just said this ITT but Jon literally doesn't understand what advisers are and it's kinda crazy. Like, he's made zero effort to research what he's mad at.

"3000 advisers? So, what, 1000 are advisers and...yea the other 2000 are troops right?"

"Well...no..."

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

So, that Bo Dietl clip on Colbert...:stare:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was amused enough by Abe and Xi's handshake.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I know I just said this ITT but Jon literally doesn't understand what advisers are and it's kinda crazy. Like, he's made zero effort to research what he's mad at.

"3000 advisers? So, what, 1000 are advisers and...yea the other 2000 are troops right?"

"Well...no..."

I hope this doesn't become the new "cup of soda / cup of weed" thing for him.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Oh right, Pointergate. Best conservative facepalm since TERRORIST FIST JAB.

Oh, and the mayor was in the middle of a major police corruption investigation when the officer "leaked" that gang sign to the news.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So are the police being mocked mercilessly over this bullshit, or is everyone buying that pointing is now a notorious gang sign?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nothing says "Journalism is dead" quite like a picture of a black person pointing making it to the loving news as "IS IT A GANG SIGN?!?!" with absolutely nobody along the way saying "gosh, this sounds like it might be completely loving retarded and not at all grounded in reality."

Post-racial society, everyone.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
loving veterans. I would love to wear a Yabba Dabba Doo Hat every day, and they ruined it

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Of course the second his show's done for the year John Oliver comes running back to the Daily show :3:

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if anyone's ever left a job and remained on as good terms with their former employer as Oliver apparently has.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Spoonsy posted:

I'm not sure if anyone's ever left a job and remained on as good terms with their former employer as Oliver apparently has.

Stephen Colbert and Steve Carrel

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's fairly easy to remain on good terms when you're friends with your ex boss and he genuinely seems happy to see you succeed in your own ways.

Like, I'll give Jon poo poo for a lot of stuff but he's always seemed to be a pretty stand up guy when it comes to relations and all.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The best way to fix the 40-hour work week is for employers to stop being spiteful assholes and pay their employees full time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dr Christmas posted:

The best way to fix the 40-hour work week is for employers to stop being spiteful assholes and pay their employees full time.

Yeah, it seems weird that they're blaming the ACA for business owners and insurance providers being lovely people.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dr Christmas posted:

Isn't Costco good at this and wouldn't you know it they ain't doing that bad; of course GOP assholes keep trying to say that raising the min wage would cause businesses to collapse and jobs to disappear.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Isn't Costco good at this and wouldn't you know it they ain't doing that bad; of course GOP assholes keep trying to say that raising the min wage would cause businesses to collapse and jobs to disappear.
Yeah, Costco is pretty much the best example of a big name company in the US that treats its workers like actual people and does extremely well. Any time a conservative bitches about how treating employees better would destroy business just point to Costco.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Yeah, Costco is pretty much the best example of a big name company in the US that treats its workers like actual people and does extremely well.

And you an easily tell any time you walk in a store. Everyone there genuinely seems like they want to be there.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

bull3964 posted:

And you an easily tell any time you walk in a store. Everyone there genuinely seems like they want to be there.
Yeah, their turnover rate is basically nonexistent because people love working there. Compare that to most minimum wage places where workers would probably fight and kill each other for a chance to get out of there and into a better position.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Yep, they are utterly ruthless to other companies but treat people like human loving beings, paying like 20 bucks an hour for normal low skill work.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I'm so sick of Chris Hardwick. All he does is leach off the popularity of more popular shows like a parasite. I have to race to turn off my DVR before I see his smug loving face pop up on my TV screen during the credits begging for someone to give him attention "Hey Colbert fans please don't change the channel my show is next just give it a chance."

He does the same thing with The Walking Dead, before the show is even over, completely taking me out of the moment.

Does anyone like this douche

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

speshl guy posted:

I'm so sick of Chris Hardwick. All he does is leach off the popularity of more popular shows like a parasite. I have to race to turn off my DVR before I see his smug loving face pop up on my TV screen during the credits begging for someone to give him attention "Hey Colbert fans please don't change the channel my show is next just give it a chance."

He does the same thing with The Walking Dead, before the show is even over, completely taking me out of the moment.

Does anyone like this douche

Midnight is pretty funny.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I'll be honest I've never given it a chance because of the pandering

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

speshl guy posted:

But a bunch of shows do that. They show a commercial for what is coming up next.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did Chris Hardwick kill your puppy or something? That bit is about three seconds long.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
An add is one thing but having to plead directly to the audience to not change the channel is another. If your show is good it should gain popularity naturally. He takes up the whole spot to beg, and the casual viewer ends up clueless as to what the show is even about.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

speshl guy posted:

@Midnight is good because of the actual funny people that are the contestants on the show, mind you, not Chris Hardwick.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

speshl guy posted:

An add is one thing but having to plead directly to the audience to not change the channel is another. If your show is good it should gain popularity naturally. He takes up the whole spot to beg, and the casual viewer ends up clueless as to what the show is even about.

You know its not like the Daily show ever did anything similar, with having Jon talk to Stephen Colbert. Once again its like a second, and if you watch it you would know it really does not have a subject as its an improv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I get that there's similarities but Stewart and Colbert have had 15 and 9 years respectively to build their particular brands into public awareness, hell Stewart is the most trusted man in America right now. Hardwick is shamelessly riding that wave.

I'm okay with being manipulated into watching something, when watching television that pretty much goes with the territory, but goddamn son be a little more subtle about it. No one likes to be assaulted before the previous host is done saying goodbye.

• Locked thread