Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Christoff posted:

http://youtu.be/qHRhq8bc-58

That's some feels right there

You play this game too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Off and on every 2 years since EA ruined it

Need to login and see if my poo poo is still around so I can give it to some goons

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY
Sep 22, 2005
Give it to me, so that when you return you can have it back.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
http://www.twitch.tv/ultimaonlineforever2

Death cam/action cam thats fun to peak in on.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Christoff posted:

Off and on every 2 years since EA ruined it

Need to login and see if my poo poo is still around so I can give it to some goons

Seems like UO had the distinct honor of being one of the first games EA ruined

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

braden posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/ultimaonlineforever2

Death cam/action cam thats fun to peak in on.

I heard a mob yell "A hamburger!" a couple times.

Clearly the goons have had a lasting impression.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

life is killing me posted:

Seems like UO had the distinct honor of being one of the first games EA ruined

I'm convinced people would still be playing the same game with lovely graphics on their servers if they didn't gently caress with it so much.

Trammel etc I could deal with. But once power scrolls and all that other bullshit came in it was all downhill

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Christoff posted:

I'm convinced people would still be playing the same game with lovely graphics on their servers if they didn't gently caress with it so much.

Trammel etc I could deal with. But once power scrolls and all that other bullshit came in it was all downhill

Understandably they did it to make it appeal to more casual gamers, but their real cash flow was coming from the hardcore UO fans. I've made it known before ITT how I feel about MMOs like WoW and EQ, which is to say that I have utter contempt for those games and thus it rubbed me the wrong way that EA tried to turn UO into something similar as if the hardcore traditional playerbase (a substantial number IIRC) didn't matter. The least EA could've done was leave one or two servers that kept the old-school, traditional gameplay mechanics. SP doesn't count in my mind because it was in the extreme hardcore spectrum.

That had to be purely a money decision, which shouldn't be surprising to anyone who is familiar with EA and their business practices and lovely launches.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah and that's why I understood trammel but everything else lol

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
EA hosed UO over long before Trammel, forcing Origin to cancel/strip planned and developed features in the name of money.

It was the first (large investment/playerbase) MMO and basically made every mistake, almost all of which have been and will be repeated by current and future MMO developers. In the name of money!!

I guess the same could be said of WoW since it had something like 100x the peak of players, and companies specifically go out of their way to emulate their poor decisions.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Where's a good spot for a provo archer to make money? I always just farmed liches with silver before, because I'm obstinate and dumb. No magery/resist, which seems obnoxious, but I've read a lot of people espouse GM hiding over utility.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Nilbog Resident posted:

Where's a good spot for a provo archer to make money? I always just farmed liches with silver before, because I'm obstinate and dumb. No magery/resist, which seems obnoxious, but I've read a lot of people espouse GM hiding over utility.

Dragons ogre lords stuff like that wouldn't be too bad. I have resist on tpain cause it's just a good thing to have. It also opens up more choices for farming I suppose. I know most people either have hiding or fishing if they don't do resist. It's really whatever your preference is. I have 120 Provo too so I'm an rear end in a top hat like that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tom Powers posted:

EA hosed UO over long before Trammel, forcing Origin to cancel/strip planned and developed features in the name of money.

It was the first (large investment/playerbase) MMO and basically made every mistake, almost all of which have been and will be repeated by current and future MMO developers. In the name of money!!

I guess the same could be said of WoW since it had something like 100x the peak of players, and companies specifically go out of their way to emulate their poor decisions.

Your last sentence is why I have such contempt for WoW and its spawn. It's such a ridiculously cookie-cutter game to begin with, but it had success despite this; partly, I suspect, because of its IP. I still blame WoW indirectly for the failure of other MMOs that had the potential to be so much better. OTOH, there's something to be said for Blizzard's overall ability to create such fandom for their IPs and the fact that they had that MMO formula down to a science.

But UO's failures and downfalls had nothing to do with OSI and everything to do with EA imposing its big blue-and-white dick of ruination into everything it touched. Let's not forget the BF4 launch for those of you who played it.

Electronic Farts

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Resist armour and spell-channeling halberds.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Their main problem was not fleshing out the chef class.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Charles Bukowski posted:

Resist armour and spell-channeling halberds.

Literally representing everything that went wrong with UO.

Also, hi everybody!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

xaarman posted:

Literally representing everything that went wrong with UO.

Also, hi everybody!

poo poo I haven't talked to you since rrail did that hostile takeover of the milgoons irc

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I heard rrail died c/d?

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
My thoughts on my Destard provo adventures: man, slaying dragons is loving hard.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

KetTarma posted:

I heard rrail died c/d?

Not to be a dick but I hope he's alive and hating it

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
HAIL! UO Goons TMT Division will be coming back to do MIBs again. This has been a PSA from TMT.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Bring your fancy hats.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Forgot to add buying all MIBs 2k each.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Are there still lots of plot to put down houses? I lucked out and got a Taming SS drop.

I kinda wanna get a house but I'm not entirely sure since I let my last one fall after I hit the ol burn out.

Complexity
Jul 11, 2005
Another MILLION GOLD CHALLENGE perhaps?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Complexity posted:

Another MILLION GOLD CHALLENGE perhaps?

We could possibly load up for that but thats like almost an all day affair.

Eptiliom
Jan 15, 2005
Making me fee poor again. :(

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
We did a dry run today. Made like 160k in an hour or so so our pace has slowed.

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY
Sep 22, 2005
I'm just happy to see people returning.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
Hey goons, I have returned to lead my people in their hour of need as was foretold in the prophecy. Or just farm pixel crack with you guys. Somebody add me back in to the guild. Also I need a house, because mine fell down and you guys built a new rune library on top of it.

Deific Presence (Treasure Hunter/Provoker)
Belenus (Archer/Peacer/Fisher)
Goons(Crafter)

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Deific Presence posted:

Hey goons, I have returned to lead my people in their hour of need as was foretold in the prophecy. Or just farm pixel crack with you guys. Somebody add me back in to the guild. Also I need a house, because mine fell down and you guys built a new rune library on top of it.

Deific Presence (Treasure Hunter/Provoker)
Belenus (Archer/Peacer/Fisher)
Goons(Crafter)

I am on now if you're around. If not I will be on around the same time tomorrow night.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
Why does no other game satisfy me quite like UO does? I have never been able to play another MMO for more than a week, and most single player games are rather forgettable. I remember friends from this game better than I remember most people I've met in real life. When am I finally going to beat this loving game?

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009
Never, it's clear by your post that the game has beaten you, and... Us.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran
Not threadshitting, but popping in here for a few of my friends who're running this kickstarter, Shards Online: Kickstarter link and Game page

I'll be the first to admit I never got into UO (DAoC was my first REAL MMO, with a bit of EQ and eventual SW:Galaxies) so I can't speak too much as to how close this is so far. I've played it a bit, found it accessible and playable, and most importantly fun. The main reason I linked it in here is the guy who is running it, as well as a few other people working on it, were UO veterans both in play and working on the game, so them saying they're trying to recreate the experience holds some weight. That plus me knowing 6 of the people on the team as old co-workers at Mythic, least I can do is toss them a bone. If you back it, cool, if you don't, at least it is something you can keep an eye on if it makes it. I'll answer any questions you have, and if I don't know, which I probably won't, I'll pass it on to the guy that does.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Goon that needed guilding I will be home in like half an hour so shoot me a pm if you still need guilding.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Delpino posted:

Not threadshitting, but popping in here for a few of my friends who're running this kickstarter, Shards Online: Kickstarter link and Game page

I'll be the first to admit I never got into UO (DAoC was my first REAL MMO, with a bit of EQ and eventual SW:Galaxies) so I can't speak too much as to how close this is so far. I've played it a bit, found it accessible and playable, and most importantly fun. The main reason I linked it in here is the guy who is running it, as well as a few other people working on it, were UO veterans both in play and working on the game, so them saying they're trying to recreate the experience holds some weight. That plus me knowing 6 of the people on the team as old co-workers at Mythic, least I can do is toss them a bone. If you back it, cool, if you don't, at least it is something you can keep an eye on if it makes it. I'll answer any questions you have, and if I don't know, which I probably won't, I'll pass it on to the guy that does.

UGHHHHHHH just reminds ME OF THE UO2 THAT NEVER WAS

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I played the Shards alpha and it FELT a bit like classic UO, but with some obvious differences, namely the skill system. From memory, it was like factions-era where you had a couple of combat skills dictated by your weapon. Also I recall a limited number of spell slots, something like 5.

It certainly has potential. I'm not a fan of kickstarter founder-only rewards that impact gameplay though.

AND, at least at the time, the "MM" part of MMO was a little off, as each "shard" could only support a handful of active players at a time. The debate was something like "Should 32 or 64 be the limit?" when considering a single shard could be a completely separate server with it's own ruleset, is a little low to me.

Edit: I haven't kept up with the development, that may have changed, or may very well change in the future.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Tom Powers posted:

AND, at least at the time, the "MM" part of MMO was a little off, as each "shard" could only support a handful of active players at a time. The debate was something like "Should 32 or 64 be the limit?" when considering a single shard could be a completely separate server with it's own ruleset, is a little low to me.

Edit: I haven't kept up with the development, that may have changed, or may very well change in the future.

Yeah, so for details on that I went to the source since I didn't know "direction".

quote:

It's an MMO in the sense that there is virtually no limit to the number of shards you can connect together. This means a single server can support 1000s of people.
However 'shards' are not instances. They are persistent and do not appear and disappear. Each one is a self-contained game world that players can travel to.
The player limit exists for a multitude of reasons:
Size of the map: Think of a battlefield or other FPS map. Some are meant to be played with 16 players some are meant for 128.
Player run servers: Since players can self host shards, a shard server needs to be simple enough to be run on just about any hardware
AI: Our game has a ton of AI to make the hirelings and NPCs function. This stuff is super expensive on the CPU so we purposely make the game worlds a bit smaller so we can cram more intelligent NPCs into them.
I wouldnt get too stuck on the 64-128 player limit. The player limit will start relatively small in alpha because we are still optimizing. In Beta and beyond, the sky is the limit and 1000+ player shards are certainly in the realm of possibility.
My interpretation is each shard on a server would be more like a zone in an older MMO.

So my phrasing to him was "So like each server would be a server like in DAoC, and each shard a zone, with each having different rules" to which I got:

quote:

Yes to the zones but not necessarily on the rules. The central server (cluster) is authoritarian on the rules for all shards connected to it. This enforces fairness. You don't want a character to gear up on easy shard and go wreck house on a hard one. But the central rules can contain exceptions for specific shards if you want to allow for it

Delpino fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 19, 2014

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I am available tonight for anyone else needs guilding or friending to GH and Dojo.

Also if you want to place a vendor at the shop holla at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbeatable
Mar 13, 2006
I'm number one
Anyone around tonight to guild me? Coming back after more than a year off.

• Locked thread