Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I name every dog Shithead. Shithead barks happily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

You can't do that, because you're not actually transferring savegames, you're just passing through quest details through The Keep.

I know what you mean. I just mean on the Keep page it will show the Gray Warden and Hawke in the Heroes page, with you selecting either the pre-made or the custom one you used from your save. Everything else is selected from the list through.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

I really can't decide what I'm going to do with my Warden in the Keep.

On the one hand, in my first playthrough, I had him sacrifice himself and was pretty happy with the choice. It definitely seemed like ~The Right Thing to Do~ given the shadiness of Morrigan's deal. On the other hand, a couple of years later I played through again and basically made the same guy again, but this time did the deal with Morrigan so I could import him to Awakening without having to do the handwave "eh, who cares" thing. I also did some super-nerdy "roleplaying" with him and had him be a Blood Mage in Origins but drop it in Awakening because of ~personal failings~ which would also explain taking Morrigan up on her deal.

I kind of want to go with my original playthrough--the Warden sacrificing himself--but something tells me that having Morrigan's kid around in Inquisition is going to be more interesting.

My personal favorite approach is to harden Alistair, marry him to Anora, recruit Loghain, and have Loghain kill the Archdemon. Loghain makes his death useful, Alistair finds some big-boy pants, Anora gets a counterweight, and the Warden goes on to adventure. Everyone wins, and if you get high approval with Loghain he even apologizes for everything he did after Ostagar before he dies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

My personal favorite approach is to harden Alistair, marry him to Anora, recruit Loghain, and have Loghain kill the Archdemon. Loghain makes his death useful, Alistair finds some big-boy pants, Anora gets a counterweight, and the Warden goes on to adventure. Everyone wins, and if you get high approval with Loghain he even apologizes for everything he did after Ostagar before he dies.

Yeah, that's almost certainly the best case scenario. I think the only reason I never actually did that myself was because I was rather reliant on Alistair being my tank. I always married Alistair to Anora, at least.

I always wanted to do it, though. Let Loghain redeem himself with his life. It's perfect.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cythereal posted:

This sounds good. I would then have the warden go on that adventure through the mirror just so I can pretend to be the counterweight to what you know is going to Morrigan's bad parenting.

My "best" case scenario world state did the ritual just for maximum imports of characters. If a person can be alive, that save is for them. After that I got a little more creative with it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's almost certainly the best case scenario. I think the only reason I never actually did that myself was because I was rather reliant on Alistair being my tank. I always married Alistair to Anora, at least.

I always wanted to do it, though. Let Loghain redeem himself with his life. It's perfect.

Loghain is built as a tank himself and is a Champion by specialization, so he neatly replaces Alistair in the party.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lotish posted:

This sounds good. I would then have the warden go on that adventure through the mirror just so I can pretend to be the counterweight to what you know is going to Morrigan's bad parenting.

My "best" case scenario world state did the ritual just for maximum imports of characters. If a person can be alive, that save is for them. After that I got a little more creative with it.

I'm probably going to go with the "Warden had a kid with Morrigan" approach in Inquisition just so that Morrigan's kid will definitely be there.

I actually suspect that she'll have a kid somehow anyway, just because that seems like way too huge of a plot point to potentially not happen based on a decision two games prior, but I want to guarantee that it does at least for my first Inquisition playthrough.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

On my first playthrough I actually missed the quest at the beginning to get the dog. :smith:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, Hardened Alistair King married to Anora, Loghain as a Warden, and then Warden/Loghain sacrifice just feels right.

You deny Morrigan her secret ritual, Ferelden is ruled by two people who will constantly be doing whats best for the country/one upping one another, and either you don't have to deal with the weight of all the poo poo you did anymore, or Loghain gets his redemption. Nice and easy. I've always kind of been bothered that killing yourself removes any save potential from Awakening, because I'd have loved to see what Loghain's response to the Orlesian Grey Warden would have been.

I've never understood killing Loghain. Alistair is a petulant child during that entire conversation, and while Loghain did some bad poo poo over the course of the game, it's always been questionable what he actually ordered, and what Howe did under his name. Hell, even the nature of what happened at Ostagar is somewhat up in the air depending on who you talk to about it. Even if he ordered literally everything though, it still makes more sense to force him to redeem himself through service then it does to just ice Ferelden's greatest general, who the Human Mage/Noble at least probably grew up viewing as a total hero.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Vile posted:

Get this for PC or Xbox one?

It would also depend on if the multiplayer is any good. ME3's multiplayer was a diamond in the rough and for me, it outshone the base game. Can someone in the thread chime in on which platform had the 'better playerbase'?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

If you don't execute Alistair you're playing DAO wrong. :colbert:

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I killed Anders in DA2 but for my DA Keep world save I decided to spare him. I'm curious to see if that choice will make him appear in Inquisition. Or if someone will comment about him being hunted down.

I'm also curious about keeping Loghain alive but I like Alistair too much to do it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I sent him to take one for the team fighting the Archdemon. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rookersh posted:

I've never understood killing Loghain. Alistair is a petulant child during that entire conversation, and while Loghain did some bad poo poo over the course of the game, it's always been questionable what he actually ordered, and what Howe did under his name. Hell, even the nature of what happened at Ostagar is somewhat up in the air depending on who you talk to about it. Even if he ordered literally everything though, it still makes more sense to force him to redeem himself through service then it does to just ice Ferelden's greatest general, who the Human Mage/Noble at least probably grew up viewing as a total hero.

Pointedly, Loghain also admits that he's wrong when you show him that he's wrong. His only context for the Grey Wardens are the heroic tales of their deeds that Cailan loved, and Loghain knows better than most that stories rarely tell the truth of what happens. Prove to him that Wardens do live up to their reputation and can save Ferelden, and Loghain reevaluates. He even applauds you if you do Soldier's Peak on a purely military basis: it's an excellent fortified position that will be useful to Ferelden, and so he's happy that you've secured it.

If you have a high enough approval with him, Loghain acknowledges without prompting that he should have sought you out and made you his general after Ostagar, and regrets that he didn't join forces with you earlier. He wants to set things right, and considers death saving Ferelden from the archdemon a worthy end.

If you have low approval with him, of course, he says none of this and mockingly asks if the PC spared him for the sole purpose of dying in the PC's place.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Soooooo...other than getting to tap them like a faucet, what's the actual point of earning companions' approval in this game? Any stat benefits or item rewards? I don't really want to cater every response towards mollycoddling every companion all the time; heck, looking through some of these spoiler vids, I already miss the DA2 rivalry option.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

If you have low approval with him, of course, he says none of this and mockingly asks if the PC spared him for the sole purpose of dying in the PC's place.

I hope there was a reply that was: "-Harsh Mocking laughter- Basically yes!"

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Soooooo...other than getting to tap them like a faucet, what's the actual point of earning companions' approval in this game? Any stat benefits or item rewards? I don't really want to cater every response towards mollycoddling every companion all the time; heck, looking through some of these spoiler vids, I already miss the DA2 rivalry option.

Certain companions will teach you their specialization with high enough approval and, I think, their stats get a little boost proportional depending on how high their approval is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I heard that getting specializations didn't depend on your companions at all?

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Bogwitt posted:

I'm English too and with the VPN I'm using, Origin says I'll be able to play on Monday and I expect I'll be able to (just got my key from GMG). Here's a guide.

Thank you so much, I was watching my download over my VPN tell me it was going to take 3 days, that guide told me how to do it direct by turning off the VPN without pausing. I'll have it in 45 minutes now :)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BrianWilly posted:

I heard that getting specializations didn't depend on your companions at all?
Doesn't depend on it, you can get them another way but it sounds like via companion is easier.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Just finished up The Last Court.

Got the Divine's favor up to twenty, ended with 100 in Health, 100 in Dignity, Freedom, and Prosperity, and Peril, Rumors of Revolution, and Twilight at less than 20. :hellyeah:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Got the Divine's favor up to twenty, ended with 100 in Health, 100 in Dignity, Freedom, and Prosperity, and Peril, Rumors of Revolution, and Twilight at less than 20. :hellyeah:
Do you unlock something for Inquisition when you complete it or is it just a simple diversion before the real game is released?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You think there would be some good verbal fighting between Leliana and Morrigan in Inquisition if you made a save where you officially "romanced" the spy but had the god baby?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crabtree posted:

You think there would be some good verbal fighting between Leliana and Morrigan in Inquisition if you made a save where you officially "romanced" the spy but had the god baby?

You would think.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

GreatGreen posted:

Are there any CYOA cliff notes for DA:O and DAII... or even just "default world state" cliff notes?

I haven't played through enough of either to really know what's going on and I'd like to.

The only DAII synopsis you will ever need:

Hakkesshu posted:

DA2: Kirkwall is a shithole, Hawke comes along and does a bunch of quests, goes to the Deep Roads, finds a weird idol, it's basically the one ring and it is stolen by Varric's brother, years pass.

Qunari have one weird trick for stirring up poo poo in Kirkwall. Templars hate them! Also mages are being poo poo on constantly by everyone especially the templars. Anders, a mage who is possessed by a spirit of Justice, thinks that's dumb. Isabela is a pirate lady who stole a book which is why the Qunari are there. Qunari get pissed and attack, and Isabela returns the book and you either kill the Qunari leader or hand over Isabela as a prisoner. Years pass.

Templars and mages have had it with each other! They try to set it up as a moral dilemma, but clearly the templars are insane and Knight-Commander Meredith is literally hitler. Mages are basically mutants from X-Men. Anyway, Anders has had enough of this poo poo and blows up the Chantry with the high priestess inside, the one beloved neutral party in town. Everyone loses their poo poo, and you find out that Meredith came into possession of that dumb idol you found in act 1, which is why she's so evil. You kill her or I guess you can side with her but I have no idea what happens if you do. The shaky truce between templars and mages has evaporated.

That's basically it. The story is being told by Varric to Cassandra who is a major NPC in Inquisition. She and Leliana are looking for Hawke because they want his/her help with something which I'm sure will be important later.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Sylphosaurus posted:

Do you unlock something for Inquisition when you complete it or is it just a simple diversion before the real game is released?

All it said was "Your accomplishments will be recorded in the Keep" so no I don't think so.

Edit: Like I didn't get a DLC code or anything if that's what you mean.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

paragon1 posted:

All it said was "Your accomplishments will be recorded in the Keep" so no I don't think so.

Edit: Like I didn't get a DLC code or anything if that's what you mean.

To be fair, if it's in the Keep it might download something during your World State load. But I doubt it does anything.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The entirety of DA2 is Varric bullshiting his way out of Cass's torture room possibly days before Inquisition begins.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Crabtree posted:

The entirety of DA2 is Varric bullshiting his way out of Cass's torture room possibly days before Inquisition begins.

He was still in Kirkwall at the end so it'd probably more like a few weeks/months? He may even have been being moved around by the seekers during the extended chat.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Josef bugman posted:

He was still in Kirkwall at the end so it'd probably more like a few weeks/months? He may even have been being moved around by the seekers during the extended chat.

He stays in that one room. It's like a two day thing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I like to hope that they let him visit the privy, and it is in those moments that he shouts through the door all about anders.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Rincewind posted:

Actually, what happens if you do spare Anders? I liked DA2, but not enough to play it multiple times just to see different outcomes.

Not much. I mean, You take him with you to the final battle. If you're fighting for the mages he's happy about it. I expected Aveline to turn on me for keeping him alive and with me, but that never happened. Basically, nothing changes. It was disappointing.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

I name every dog Shithead. Shithead barks happily.

After The Jerk, I hope.

Btw, the best Keep guide I've seen is PC Gamer's, given that it even recommends choices on the basis of the kind of Warden or Hawke you played (or would want to).

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Cythereal posted:

Question: what do you do when your species is the victim of systemic persecution and violence for historical, economic, and religious reasons, and any major move to end that persecution is met with one of the most powerful secular authorities in the world threatening a global war against the people who decided that you deserved to be treated like human beings?

Oh boy. I would definitely indiscriminately murder people, you're right. That's a great plan, I don't see how it could ever backfire.

The correct choice is to conserve force by refusing to retaliate, eg the strategy Valenna bitched about and was kicked out of her clan for. Then wait and land grab during a time of turmoil using political convenience to enforce your position. Eg, how the Jewish population took Israel. Or for a contemporary story parallels, how the Andals got their foothold in Westeros in Game of Thrones. Or an even better parallel being the elves in the witcher forcing their state as a matter of political utility(which I realize is funny because they were terrorists en mass, making me seem hypocritical, but it really just highlights how stupid the elves are in dragon age because the Dalish don't actually have a plan whereas the Aen Seidhe of the Witcher were being terrorists as part of a deal to gain their own state.) Anyways that is option one and theoretically it is quite possible considering the animosity between countries like Orlais, Ferelden, Tevinter, Qunari. As well as the mutable state of the Free Marches. This of course assumes that all the Dalish clans are capable of actually working together.

Option two, would be to simply leave and rebuild somewhere else. The map of the world of dragon age is actually pretty restricted. They could easily move into a low power vacuum area and start rebuilding. I doubt the Chasind barbarian tribes could unite properly to stop all the Dalish clans from establishing a state down there, and as they are considered barbarians, the chantry or the other states wouldn't come to their rescue.

Then of course they would have to stop being stupid as a general rule, which as a race they seem completely incapable of. Sacking Val Royeaux was the dumbest thing they could possibly have done. As was not forging alliances, abandoning the rest of the world to the blight, and not fostering amicable relations with the Chantry.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Oh boy. I would definitely indiscriminately murder people, you're right. That's a great plan, I don't see how it could ever backfire.

The correct choice is to conserve force by refusing to retaliate, eg the strategy Valenna bitched about and was kicked out of her clan for. Then wait and land grab during a time of turmoil using political convenience to enforce your position. Eg, how the Jewish population took Israel. Or for a contemporary story parallels, how the Andals got their foothold in Westeros in Game of Thrones. Or an even better parallel being the elves in the witcher forcing their state as a matter of political utility(which I realize is funny because they were terrorists en mass, making me seem hypocritical, but it really just highlights how stupid the elves are in dragon age because the Dalish don't actually have a plan whereas the Aen Seidhe of the Witcher were being terrorists as part of a deal to gain their own state.) Anyways that is option one and theoretically it is quite possible considering the animosity between countries like Orlais, Ferelden, Tevinter, Qunari. As well as the mutable state of the Free Marches. This of course assumes that all the Dalish clans are capable of actually working together.

Option two, would be to simply leave and rebuild somewhere else. The map of the world of dragon age is actually pretty restricted. They could easily move into a low power vacuum area and start rebuilding. I doubt the Chasind barbarian tribes could unite properly to stop all the Dalish clans from establishing a state down there, and as they are considered barbarians, the chantry or the other states wouldn't come to their rescue.

Then of course they would have to stop being stupid as a general rule, which as a race they seem completely incapable of. Sacking Val Royeaux was the dumbest thing they could possibly have done. As was not forging alliances, abandoning the rest of the world to the blight, and not fostering amicable relations with the Chantry.

Or you could just blow up some poo poo hippy.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Let's not take this into a more political realm than it needs to go.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm extremely bad at this game. I don't think I "get it"

Edit: I mean the last court

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Someone help me. I actually am starting to think I want to play this game. This isn't right. I'm... I'm afraid I'm going to be hurt again. :smith:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

paragon1 posted:

I did this too. :cool: Well, I only got her favor up to 15 but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Well, the Dalish could be smart and patiently build up power while keeping their one edge secret for as long as possible, or they could take the same route as the quarians in ME3: belligerently assault a superior force to settle old scores the second you get an advantage because it sounds very dramatic and can lead to a big "choice" in the game. Which to you think the writers of this series would rather have happen?

• Locked thread