Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Was hecka disappointed when I realized the enchantment/spell making in oblivion was a gutted ghost of morrowinds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SunAndSpring posted:

Whitestrake has got the advantage of being a time-traveling android with a laser cannon for an arm.

I thought he was just a genocidal avatar of Shor/Talos/Shezzar/Lorkhan/whatever.

In what book was the robot thing mentioned?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
morrowind's spell system is "why the gently caress not" which is unironically good design

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

goddamn how come no game after morrowind tried to replicate that magic system

just throw together a bunch of magic effects, delivery methods and release conditions, allow anything and anyone to be enchanted/casted on and let the player run with it

two worlds 1/2 have a magic system like this, similar in that you can mix combinations of spells to get crazy bullshit
its worse in that the game itself is bad, but better in that you can combine things like "whirlwind" and "summon anvil" to make a cloud of anvils
http://youtu.be/C4xMc7O3Jho?t=1m54s

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Mortimer posted:

two worlds 1/2 have a magic system like this, similar in that you can mix combinations of spells to get crazy bullshit
its worse in that the game itself is bad, but better in that you can combine things like "whirlwind" and "summon anvil" to make a cloud of anvils

that's the only good thing about two worlds, but it is very good.

other games don't use morrowind style magic because it would be way harder to balance, and program, than a more normal magic system. bethesda solved that problem by not caring about whether it was a glitchy mess, or at all balanced.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Sito posted:

other games don't use morrowind style magic because it would be way harder to balance, and program, than a more normal magic system. bethesda solved that problem by not caring about whether it was a glitchy mess, or at all balanced.

every game should use this method of balancing. if it's unbalanced but it's super fun and satisfying you have still succeeded

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Doctor Goat posted:

every game should use this method of balancing. if it's unbalanced but it's super fun and satisfying you have still succeeded

Yeah, I agree. A game's balance is only bad if you either instadie in the first 20 minutes of the game 90% of the time or are basically unstoppable from minute 1.

Otherwise, for an open world game like this, being unbalanced isn't really a problem. Just make sure parts of the gameworld have insanely powerful enemies so I can feel Real Cool when I go oneshot them all with my giant warhammer of bee tornado.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Sito posted:

I could agree on the balance maybe, tho I don't think I care that much about balance in a single player game. I think apart from abusing alchemy to make yourself a god morrowind does magic balance pretty well. just make it exponentially expensive to scale up or something and we're good

dont think that programming is that much of a problem, you have to program the interactions anyway, just let the player put it together instead of hardcoding 50 different flavors of fireball

Mortimer posted:

welp, now i need to play this

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

how dumb evil does the sixth house mod force you to be?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Whorelord posted:

you have to murder some imperials and other great house members, but it doesn't have you going on pointless killsprees. mostly it's just fetch quests and "talk to this guy, then that guy, and go over to this place" style quests like any other great house.

you get a pretty awesome fort and lots of placeable evil red candles. it was kind of short though but you eventually "win" as an evil dude and all of morrowind is turned into a red and blighted hellscape :twisted:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

I thought he was just a genocidal avatar of Shor/Talos/Shezzar/Lorkhan/whatever.

It's kind of hinted at in the Song of Pelinal. He's got a "hand of killing light", he's got the Amulet of Kings instead of a heart as a power source, and he's definitely from the future as he mentions Reman before he was even born and wears full plate armor, which is something that was only made by the Dwemer in the First Era.

Also, if you take what Kirkbride makes outside of the games as canon, the elven Mary Sue queen in TES:O is also a robot from the future that hates humans as much as Pelinal hates elves.

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Pretty sure that's Kirkbride expanded lore. There's one or two time travelling cyborgs/robots around

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Whorelord posted:

The Sixth House mod is stupid evil, Great House Dagoth is more lore-friendly and morally complex and you get to crash the moon into Vivec's palace.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

The Sixth House mod is stupid evil, Great House Dagoth is more lore-friendly and morally complex and you get to crash the moon into Vivec's palace.

does that destroy morrowind and make red mountain erupt

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
It also causes two terrible books to spawn in the ruins of the secret library in vivec

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Mortimer posted:

have you fetchers ever mispronounced a morrowind name in your head even though the letters dont say that? i know there's a word for this but idk what
like Divayth Fyr I'll always think "divi-ath feer". Yeah its diva-yith but its so ingrained in my dumb 12 year old brain

caius cosades is forever cassius clay

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

caius cascada

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

FreudianSlippers posted:

(USER WAS SMOTHERED BY MOTHS FOR THIS POST)

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I wish i could have the dagoth title in front of my name but it would sound lame

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I've got my wife calliing people n'wahs now and she doesn't even know where it comes from. The insults greatness is self evident.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I just found out tonight that one of my friends loves Morrowind as much as I do.

We bored 3 people to death by talking about it for an hour straight while at a bar, but I don't give a gently caress because us outlanders are brothers now

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Also, I was told I can do a good Dunmer impression so uhh I guess I'll leave it up to you to decide:

https://soundcloud.com/justkauz/apparently-im-a-dunmer

Fake James fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 14, 2014

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Poniard posted:

I wish i could have the dagoth title in front of my name but it would sound lame

My actual name sounds rad as gently caress with dagaoth in front of it. But I find the idea of Dagoth Joe to be lol

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Yeah I think having Dagoth in my name would be p sweet.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just want a tentacle face and wholly malleable flesh

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i want to be slain and end up as nothing more than a skull

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

what about those bigass skulls that ascenced sleepers have, but still in your head, and you're an ascended sleeper

sixth house sympathizers itt

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Poniard posted:

what about those bigass skulls that ascenced sleepers have, but still in your head, and you're an ascended sleeper

its be sweet because i could play kickin jazz tunes with my nose

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Sito posted:

Someone explain why these games are bad.

I own them, and I've played them both for a combined total of about an hour or two, probably. It seems like they should scratch the same itch as Morrowind sorta, but, well yeah they do suck. I just can't put my finger on why. It just doesn't suck me in the way Morrowind does - hell, it doesn't suck me in the way Oblivion does and Oblivion is pretty terrible for all sorts of reasons.

From what I gather the story in the second one is really dumb but who cares about that. What else?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
two worlds is alright for a few hours but after that it drags on forever

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

This is the only thread I read in Imp Zone and I can't find anywhere else to ask: How do you pronounce HOTAS? I want to say 'hot rear end' but I think it's more 'ho-tas'? tiy

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kilroy posted:

Someone explain why these games are bad.

I own them, and I've played them both for a combined total of about an hour or two, probably. It seems like they should scratch the same itch as Morrowind sorta, but, well yeah they do suck. I just can't put my finger on why. It just doesn't suck me in the way Morrowind does - hell, it doesn't suck me in the way Oblivion does and Oblivion is pretty terrible for all sorts of reasons.

From what I gather the story in the second one is really dumb but who cares about that. What else?

lots of empty space, poor character progression, and not very good level design. morrowind is amazing because of things like the sword of white woe. Random rear end guard tower, incredible sword just sitting there with a guard in sight. Most developers now say "we don't want players to have weapons like that until level X". from that point onwards you know the game isn't arbitrarily withholding gear, you can find anything at anytime.

not to mention the enemies/world design was generic and the story was bad, and the gameplay didn't feel as fluid as morrowind.

which brings up another one of morrowinds peers: gothic. If morrowind hadn't come out, gothic would be remembered almost as fondly as morrowind is now (albeit a lot less active due to no mods). what gothic 1 did (and what pirahna bytes did for literally every other game they made) was make a (semi) modern RPG with choices. It has great worldbuilding. it has tons of secrets and a unique setting. it had voice acting before voice acting turned super poo poo and actually pulled you into the world.

gothic 1 and morrowind do what few(any?) other rpgs after it did, and that was create a beliveable world that holds npcs to the same rules as the player.

also two worlds was released in 2007 and the fact it played like a game 6 years older is really loving embarassing

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Mortimer posted:

also two worlds was released in 2007 and the fact it played like a game 6 years older is really loving embarassing

Don't forget that forums star Two Worlds was also really loving embarassing

Lost Covenant
Dec 9, 2009

Kilroy posted:

Two Worlds 2 has the dumbest UI/HUD I think I've ever seen in a game. The UI is transparent (with no option to make it opaque), so in certain locations it could be borderline unreadable. It had health/magic circles instead of bars, which were also transparent. The map used colored-coded pins for locations. I think color-coding is dumb as is because it's totally arbitrary (and not standardized, and could gently caress with color blind people) but TW2 had things like "blue", "dark blue", "blue, glowing" and the map didn't zoom in enough, so you could easily confuse locations. Everything about the UI is just so bad.

Also, the game lagged a lot.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah, lovely UIs to me are just inexcusable. They are the primary way you interact with the systems of game you are playing, second in importance over literally every other aspect of the game only to what it feels like to directly control your character/party.

A brilliantly designed matrix of game systems and mechanics hidden under a bad UI equates to a lovely game experience, which equates to a lovely game, period. A mediocre set of systems and mechanics with a brilliant UI and fantastic character/party/camera control equals at least a mediocre if not good game, just because of that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ive had a revelation on game design

you can graph "how long it takes you to get to the open world" vs "quality of the game" and its pretty linear (downward slope)

on the short end you have new vegas and morrowind (and gothic). other than a short character creation you're pretty much done. Then you have skyrim with its semi-short but really tedious tutorial dungeon. Finally you have oblivion and fallout 3 on the long end.

the longer it takes to get to the open world reflects the developers view of game design. the longer tutorials show more tendencies to railroad and focus on flashy setpieces in a theme park rather than have the whole world and how it interacts be the setpiece itself

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mortimer posted:

you can graph "how long it takes you to get to the open world" vs "quality of the game" and its pretty linear (downward slope)

on the short end you have new vegas and morrowind (and gothic). other than a short character creation you're pretty much done. Then you have skyrim with its semi-short but really tedious tutorial dungeon. Finally you have oblivion and fallout 3 on the long end.

the longer it takes to get to the open world reflects the developers view of game design. the longer tutorials show more tendencies to railroad and focus on flashy setpieces in a theme park rather than have the whole world and how it interacts be the setpiece itself

FF XIII

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Really, long intros are obtrusive and rarely ever interesting. Only ones I ever liked were Half-Life 1 and 2's because they had good atmosphere and showed instead of told you what was going on. HL-1 shows you that Black Mesa is cutting edge, yet also cutting corners within the first 10 minutes just before the portal breaks, and HL-2 shows you a world after alien domination up close. Skyrim, on the other hand, just kind of vomits out all these terms and things at you. I think the worst part of it was when you escape from Alduin and get into the fort, and your dumb Nord friend says, "DRAGONS ARE THE HARBINGERS OF THE END TIMES. THIS IS REALLY SCARY," to you like you couldn't have figured that out from what just happened.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Poniard posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SunAndSpring posted:

Really, long intros are obtrusive and rarely ever interesting. Only ones I ever liked were Half-Life 1 and 2's because they had good atmosphere and showed instead of told you what was going on. HL-1 shows you that Black Mesa is cutting edge, yet also cutting corners within the first 10 minutes just before the portal breaks, and HL-2 shows you a world after alien domination up close. Skyrim, on the other hand, just kind of vomits out all these terms and things at you. I think the worst part of it was when you escape from Alduin and get into the fort, and your dumb Nord friend says, "DRAGONS ARE THE HARBINGERS OF THE END TIMES. THIS IS REALLY SCARY," to you like you couldn't have figured that out from what just happened.
Also of note, you said 'dumb Nord friend' even though the game presents you with a choice there, because that choice is probably one of the most stupid player choices conceived in video game history: "should I run off with the dude that just saved my life or the dude who shrugged his shoulders as I was sentenced to death for no good reason?" Really interesting storytelling there, Bethesda :jerkbag:

• Locked thread