Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I love Dolphin Shoals and don't understand why people hate it. I don't love or hate SNES Rainbow Road, but I'm confused why there's a ramp to nowhere in the middle of that second U-turn.

Bone Dry Dunes is awful, Donut Plains is awesome, and Rainbow Road 8 sucks. Rainbow Road 64 would be better if it wasn't one lap.

Electrodrome, Shy Guy Falls, and Mute City are the best. Future DLC needs to add Rainbow Road DD, Rainbow Road 7, and Waluigi Pinball.

These are my opinions on Mario Kart tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All the Rainbow Roads are great because mostly people I race against fall repeatedly off them while I laugh my way to victory.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Twelve by Pies posted:

I love Dolphin Shoals and don't understand why people hate it. I don't love or hate SNES Rainbow Road, but I'm confused why there's a ramp to nowhere in the middle of that second U-turn.

Bone Dry Dunes is awful, Donut Plains is awesome, and Rainbow Road 8 sucks. Rainbow Road 64 would be better if it wasn't one lap.

Electrodrome, Shy Guy Falls, and Mute City are the best. Future DLC needs to add Rainbow Road DD, Rainbow Road 7, and Waluigi Pinball.

These are my opinions on Mario Kart tracks.

The ramp to nowhere is just so you can cut the corner super hard and it rules. Also RR8 is good because it actually asks you to pay attention and RR64 sucks rear end because outside of pretty lights it's too wide and as exciting as watching paint dry.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've now played the new tracks online, they're all excellent. clap clap clap

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I love the shortcuts in ice ice outpost because every race is people saying "I'll get it this time" and then dying to it horribly myself included.

I just went through a round where I did that because I kept going, "I'm going to learn how to make these shortcuts work for me!" And I don't think they're very good. I've been hit by other vehicles when trying to get onto some of them because of the sharp turns across traffic you have to make. They don't see much shorter, and the primary advantage is the short jump boost. I'm sure all the record times are going to use them, but the only one I can see being consistently useful for most players is the second half of the first short cut since you can just drop off the left edge at high speed to hit that one.

sporadicsarcasm posted:

I will only accept it if it were like Yoshi's Valley.

It would only take a few runs before everyone figured out that you had to go north, west, south, and west to get through.

It has occurred to me that SNES Rainbow Road probably makes a great battle track. I'll have to try that out sometime if I ever work up the energy to play battle mode again.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 15, 2014

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Nintendo is going to have its work cut out for it when they try to top this Mario Kart they could definitely improve battle mode, any other ideas?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
All Nintendo needs is to release Block Fort for battle mode and battle mode will immediately be good. Outside of sheer laziness/quicker release I have no idea why they made MK8's battle mode the way it is.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Random Stranger posted:

It has occurred to me that SNES Rainbow Road probably makes a great battle track. I'll have to try that out sometime if I ever work up the energy to play battle mode again.

Save your energy. None of the new tracks are available in Battle.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Nolgthorn posted:

Nintendo is going to have its work cut out for it when they try to top this Mario Kart they could definitely improve battle mode, any other ideas?

They need a DLC with actual battle courses. Miyamoto pls

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Anybody playing tonight?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Ivy posted:

They need a DLC with actual battle courses. Miyamoto pls

I'm probably on board to just buy whatever DLC comes out for this game.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
How cool would it be if they made battle mode DLC that also included new items. How much cooler would it be if it had Zelda themed items like Bombchus or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

internet celebrity posted:

How cool would it be if they made battle mode DLC that also included new items. How much cooler would it be if it had Zelda themed items like Bombchus or something.

Bombchus instead of the USELESS Bob-ombs would be amazing

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Macaluso posted:

Bombchus instead of the USELESS Bob-ombs would be amazing

Getting a Bob-omb is even worse than getting coins because you don't have to carefully throw coins away to not kill yourself.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Cook posted:

Getting a Bob-omb is even worse than getting coins because you don't have to carefully throw coins away to not kill yourself.

Just drop it behind you and gently caress over those people unlucky enough to be slower than you.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'd like them more if you had a better chance of getting them in first.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Let's rank items like the tracks (Dolphin Shoals loving owns):

SSS BEST IN GAME Tier
Triple Red, Red, That Horn

Always Vote For It In Lobbies Or You're Dead To Me Tier almost always useful items i guess
Triple Green, Green, Banana, All Shrooms, Blue Shell, Lightning (but only when you use it)

Pretty Good! Tier
Bullet Bill, Crazy 8, Star, Triple Banana

Sure, OK Tier
Boomerang Flower, Coins

I'd Rather Not Tier
Fire Flower, Piranha Plant, Blooper, Lightning (when anyone else uses it)

Would Delete From the Disc If I Could Tier
Bob-Omb

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

It seems like every time I get an 8 lately there's always someone right next to me to bump into the inevitable bomb so it triggers instantly nailing us both. I hate bombs.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Just drop it behind you and gently caress over those people unlucky enough to be slower than you.

I do. I could be in last place and I would still dump that catastrophe waiting to happen behind me.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It feels like the star is MUCH less powerful than it was in MK64. Probably a good choice, all things considered.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm still waiting for the day Nintendo turns Mario Kart into Nintendo Wacky Racers. The latest DLC just confirms to me that this is in no way a bad idea.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

Anybody playing tonight?

I'll check in on the Goonvitational DLC now and then, and otherwise will be playing Worldwide now and then.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Hakkesshu posted:

Goddamn, the music on the Excitebike track :allears:

For sure man. It brings back crazy nes memories.

Also, whats the deal with the boost ramp in the master sword room? Is it random or..?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

davey4283 posted:

For sure man. It brings back crazy nes memories.

Also, whats the deal with the boost ramp in the master sword room? Is it random or..?

Rises when the 3 crystal switches are hit. Yes they put a Zelda puzzle on the Zelda track.

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?

Little Mac posted:

I'd Rather Not Tier

You just need to have that one time you get a Piranha plant, get hit by something, and then the plant eats like 6 guys that try to pass you in a row while you recover.

Or sloooooowly catching up to somebody knowing it's inevitably going to knock them out as well as eat the shell they're dragging behind them and there's nothing they can do about it.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Or when the Piranha Plant eats the Blooper, thus saving your UI and your traction.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wait, the Blooper fucks up your traction? I never noticed anything other than it covering the screen (which is easy enough to still see around the ink), certainly never noticed my driving being impaired. Blooper sucks.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
You're covered in oil! ^^^

Best item combo is someone else setting off lightning whilst you've got the star power up going

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Maple Leaf posted:

Or when the Piranha Plant eats the Blooper, thus saving your UI and your traction.

:aaa: I was always surprised at how lovely my driving got just from a little screen obstruction. That makes so much sense.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

DarthBlingBling posted:

You're covered in oil! ^^^

Best item combo is someone else setting off lightning whilst you've got the star power up going
while the rest of the crazy 8 items are still circling around you :getin:
Someone posted earlier that they don't like the crazy 8 item; that's crazy talk. When I get a crazy 8 toward the end of a race online every once in a while, it's pretty much an automatic (but kind of undeserved-feeling) win button. I mean, just activate the star power first, then you can go to town with the rest of the items risk-free. If anything, it's way overpowered.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

Rises when the 3 crystal switches are hit. Yes they put a Zelda puzzle on the Zelda track.

This is incredible.. Mind blown.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Anyone playing? hanging out in the goonvitational DLC lobby. NNID is thebreathingbe if anyone wants to join!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Anyone who hates bob omb is a monster.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

It seems like every time I get an 8 lately there's always someone right next to me to bump into the inevitable bomb so it triggers instantly nailing us both. I hate bombs.

After complaining about this, I got to do it to someone. Okay, there were three cars piled up on the track as a result, but it was worth it!

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
So I pressed the - button and was presented with an on screen map. Is this something new or did this get put in a while ago?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DarthBlingBling posted:

So I pressed the - button and was presented with an on screen map. Is this something new or did this get put in a while ago?

It was added with the 2.0 update several months ago that added the DLC pre-order bonuses and the stats chart.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
So, any goons up for some DLC goonvitational kart racing tonight?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Little Mac posted:

Let's rank items like the tracks (Dolphin Shoals loving owns):

SSS BEST IN GAME Tier
Triple Red, Red, That Horn

Always Vote For It In Lobbies Or You're Dead To Me Tier almost always useful items i guess
Triple Green, Green, Banana, All Shrooms, Blue Shell, Lightning (but only when you use it)

Pretty Good! Tier
Bullet Bill, Crazy 8, Star, Triple Banana

Sure, OK Tier
Boomerang Flower, Coins

I'd Rather Not Tier

Would Delete From the Disc If I Could Tier
Bob-Omb
Um the fire flower and the boomerang own

Also Bullet Bill sucks because if you get him, it means you're doing bad.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

irlZaphod posted:

The fire flower is terrible. Even if you hit someone they're barely inconvenienced. The boomerang is like a short range green shell, I don't really understand why it's in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?

irlZaphod posted:

Most of the time yeah you get him in 11th and he brings you to 10th, but sometimes you can get him in pretty high placings so it's just an easy move up one in the pack and you can fly by the huge amount of chaos that kills everyone at 4th-8th from the invincibility.

Taear posted:

The fire flower is terrible. Even if you hit someone they're barely inconvenienced. The boomerang is like a short range green shell, I don't really understand why it's in there.

So you can hit someone with it from behind, then hit them again from in front just to make them angrier.

• Locked thread