Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Desperado Bones posted:

All of you...

:slick::siren:LIFE HACKED:siren::slick:

I live with women in their early 20's which means I have to suffer through 25-50% of my fridge being taken up by those loving margarita buckets. 96 whole ounces of chilled tequila goodness with a dispenser spout and around here they are cheaper than actual margarita mix which is baffling but does leave me with a lot of spout buckets to dispense things from. Obviously beer is a poor choice, but I'm a simple person with simple tastes so instead I have buckets of hard liquor, Mojitos and other nonsense. One has Yukon Jack, I'm pretty sure I'm the only living human who likes Yukon Jack since the guy at my liquor store points out that I am the only person he ever sells it to. My cocktail of choice is SoCo 100, Lime and Coke so I am pretty much the opposite of a person you should listen to about alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I live with women in their early 20's which means I have to suffer through 25-50% of my fridge being taken up by those loving margarita buckets. 96 whole ounces of chilled tequila goodness with a dispenser spout and around here they are cheaper than actual margarita mix which is baffling but does leave me with a lot of spout buckets to dispense things from. Obviously beer is a poor choice, but I'm a simple person with simple tastes so instead I have buckets of hard liquor, Mojitos and other nonsense. One has Yukon Jack, I'm pretty sure I'm the only living human who likes Yukon Jack since the guy at my liquor store points out that I am the only person he ever sells it to. My cocktail of choice is SoCo 100, Lime and Coke so I am pretty much the opposite of a person you should listen to about alcohol.

Yukon Jack used to be my poo poo... Then I switched to Bulleit..

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Hey, I wasn't saying sweet potatoes are bad, just that they aren't a substitute for regular potatoes, as they don't resemble them in the slightest. That's like replacing your bowl of ice cream with a bowl of whipped cream--they're almost the same, they both have cream in their name! :v:

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
To be honest, the margaritas probably taste better than any cheap beer you can get at a store.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

karl fungus posted:

To be honest, the margaritas probably taste better than any cheap beer you can get at a store.

Trader Joe's has that Simple Times stuff for like 4 bucks and its pretty good as far as high ABV American Lagers go. In a similar vein we can also get Hite around here since we have a huge Korean population which is a very middle of the road Lager that comes in a big resealable plastic jug.

And there's always Olympia, Rainier and Session, which are more like soda than beer but they are decently cheap (and Session is actually all right).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RandomFerret posted:

Roasting any vegetable with oil is a prohack.

Except celery. That didn't turn out very good.

Yeah, but gently caress celery in general, though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Trent posted:

gently caress celery

Ribbed for your pleasure.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Angela Christine posted:

Ribbed for your pleasure.

Ribbed in the wrong loving direction though, I'm pretty goddamn mad about that... I mean my friend, my friend is pretty goddamn mad about that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Gabriel Pope posted:

At least they didn't use any of the "substituting cauliflower for real food" hacks :barf:

One of my relatives did this. They were on a no-carb diet and invited us over for dinner, and said "here try these mashed potatoes." They didn't say, "We've substituted mashed cauliflower for potatoes for our no-carb diet, try them and see what you think!"

I actively hate cauliflower, and while the mashed stuff actually tasted less like cauliflower than any other cauliflower preparation I have eaten (and the texture was remarkably similar to mashed potatoes), it still had the unpleasant underlying rotting-gym-sock notes that cauliflower always manages to have. It's like Diet Dr. Pepper: Yeah, I don't taste the antifreeze AS MUCH, but it's still there, permeating and ruining everything good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Trent posted:

Yeah, but gently caress celery in general, though.

Celery is crucial to any good stuffing and Mongolian beef. :colbert:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

One of my relatives did this. They were on a no-carb diet and invited us over for dinner, and said "here try these mashed potatoes." They didn't say, "We've substituted mashed cauliflower for potatoes for our no-carb diet, try them and see what you think!"

I actively hate cauliflower, and while the mashed stuff actually tasted less like cauliflower than any other cauliflower preparation I have eaten (and the texture was remarkably similar to mashed potatoes), it still had the unpleasant underlying rotting-gym-sock notes that cauliflower always manages to have. It's like Diet Dr. Pepper: Yeah, I don't taste the antifreeze AS MUCH, but it's still there, permeating and ruining everything good.

Hahaha what? Just do mashed sweet potatos. Sure it doesn't taste like mashed potatos but at least it will stil taste good.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I don't think you understand what a carb is

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I like cauliflower but it seems like that makes me objectively wrong. :(

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I love cauliflower!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I don't actually hate cauliflower that much and there are ways to serve cauliflower that are cool and good, but pureeing them and saying LOOK IT'S JUST LIKE MASHED POTATOES is not one of them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Gabriel Pope posted:

I don't actually hate cauliflower that much and there are ways to serve cauliflower that are cool and good, but pureeing them and saying LOOK IT'S JUST LIKE MASHED POTATOES is not one of them.

That's exactly what point I was trying to make. Every dietitian I've spoken with (I uh, don't have very good health) tries this sort of spiel where somehow just because they say X is just like Y, you're expected to believe it, despite Y not at all resembling X. Sweet potatoes replacing regular potatoes in everything from fries to bakes is the best example I have, but there are a lot of them. I do admit that some on the website link there were pretty good. Frozen fruit makes for a pretty good desert, especially if it's something juicy like grapes that have lots of flavor in the middle, for instance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Cauliflower is great, sweet potatoes are terrible.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Pretty sure this is the main reason that so many people hate stuff like tofu. If you're told "here is a food called tofu" and you have no expectations for what it's supposed to be, there's really nothing offensive about it. But if you're told "here, eat this tofu instead of meat, it's pretty much the same" then you go "what the gently caress is this disgusting poo poo?"

It's fine to not eat potatoes, and if you want to eat puréed cauliflower then that's fine too. The problem is when you try to convince people that one is so much like the other that you won't even notice the difference. Because you will notice the difference, and when you're expecting one thing and get another, it tastes wrong.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's a pretty damned good substitute, but yes it's still a substitute. The secret, assuming you can stomach cauliflower at all, is large quantities of butter and sautéed garlic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Lifehack: cook and eat sweet potatoes like a regular vegetable instead of making retarded marshmallow concoctions and they will actually be cool and not gross.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
The only thing I have against cauliflower is that cooking it makes the entire house smell like farts.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Real margaritas are like one of the simplest and tastiest cocktails you can loving have why would you use a mixer?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bhodi posted:

It's a pretty damned good substitute, but yes it's still a substitute. The secret, assuming you can stomach cauliflower at all, is large quantities of butter and sautéed garlic.

This was what they did, and yeah, it mostly worked. It was the best cauliflower I've ever had, mostly because it tasted the least like cauliflower.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

For the record, every single human I know personally loves cauliflower. It doesn't bother me, just don't try and trick me to get me to put it in my mouth. I don't want to eat it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure your taste buds are broken.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Someone I know who is vegan made a cauliflower alfredo sauce which was surprisingly good, especially since it was topped with balsamic vinegar sauteed portobello mushroom slices. But I just like portobello like nothing else. I ordered a veggie burger which had a roasted cap for the pattie, and it was loving amazing, but my friend had a shitfit about me going a meal without meat, like I was going to die or something.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Why are people so drat obsessed by carbohydrates? Use loving portion control instead of changing your entire eating style because of what someone on the internet told you to do.

Theres a reason why people who actually exercise dont really worry that much about their drat carb intake.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Grabbing on to a fad diet is a lot easier than actually trying to figure out what's wrong with what you're eating. I was a picky eater as a kid, which led to me having some pretty bad dietary habits once I started feeding myself. "If you avoid toast, you can eat ALL the bacon," is a lot easier than "alright body, I know you don't think vegetables can be a meal, but you're going to have to get used to it."

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Frostwerks posted:

Real margaritas are like one of the simplest and tastiest cocktails you can loving have why would you use a mixer?

Because some people apparently love that awful medicine taste that comes with premixed drinks. It's like instead of sugar, they put in glycerin or propylene glycol :cry:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

Lifehack: cook and eat sweet potatoes like a regular vegetable instead of making retarded marshmallow concoctions and they will actually be cool and not gross.

:stonk:

Why would anyone do that? What sort of concoctions are we talking about here? Is this like some kind of pumpkin pie style dessert, but with marshmallows for some reason?

The best way I've ever had sweet potatoes is roasted, and even then they're kind of like really disappointing pumpkin. I'll eat them if they're served to me, but they're probably my least-favourite vegetable. Brussels sprouts may be worse, but I haven't eaten them in many years so who knows, I may like them now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Noyemi K posted:

Ribbed in the wrong loving direction though, I'm pretty goddamn mad about that... I mean my friend, my friend is pretty goddamn mad about that.

You've your friend's been using the wrong part of the plant.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tiggum posted:

Brussels sprouts may be worse, but I haven't eaten them in many years so who knows, I may like them now.

If you like broccoli, give brussels sprouts another shot. They're good lightly steamed, overcook them and they go bitter and mushy.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

:stonk:

Why would anyone do that? What sort of concoctions are we talking about here? Is this like some kind of pumpkin pie style dessert, but with marshmallows for some reason?

The best way I've ever had sweet potatoes is roasted, and even then they're kind of like really disappointing pumpkin. I'll eat them if they're served to me, but they're probably my least-favourite vegetable. Brussels sprouts may be worse, but I haven't eaten them in many years so who knows, I may like them now.

It's a common American dish served at Thanksgiving. You peel them, quarter them, then plop them into a casserole dish with a shitton of brown sugar, white sugar, and butter. A shitton. If someone asks "hey can I have sugar for my coffee" and your answer isn't "sorry, I'm out," you're doing it wrong. Throw that into the oven and when they're nice and tender, you throw some marshmallows onto the thing you've created and weep softly, taking care to keep your tears out of the dish.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

mobby_6kl posted:

You've your friend's been using the wrong part of the plant.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It's a common American dish served at Thanksgiving. You peel them, quarter them, then plop them into a casserole dish with a shitton of brown sugar, white sugar, and butter. A shitton. If someone asks "hey can I have sugar for my coffee" and your answer isn't "sorry, I'm out," you're doing it wrong. Throw that into the oven and when they're nice and tender, you throw some marshmallows onto the thing you've created and weep softly, taking care to keep your tears out of the dish.

Can you even taste the sweet potatoes? It sounds like you may as well just be eating a bowl of sugar.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Tiggum posted:

Can you even taste the sweet potatoes? It sounds like you may as well just be eating a bowl of sugar.

That's essentially what it is. It's too sweet to eat to be honest. Makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.

Sweet potatoes are absolutely delicious if done properly, and buried in varying sugars is not proper.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I've never heard of this before, and it sounds like something that would make me vomit.

Here's a great food made of sweet potatos: sweet potato fries. They're pretty tasty, and they don't need much seasoning to have some real flavour. They don't crisp up the way potatos do but they go GREAT with seafood burgers :peanut:

Lifehack: drown everything you eat in copious amounts of butter and one other thing!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Smelly posted:

That's essentially what it is. It's too sweet to eat to be honest. Makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.

Sweet potatoes are absolutely delicious if done properly, and buried in varying sugars is not proper.

Kids like it because it's sweet, also what kid doesn't like marshmallows? As an adult, I can't stand all that sugar but you can't not eat grandma's sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving. Leave it to us Americans to ruin a perfectly good food by dumping butter and sugar all over it.

Sweet potatoes are great by themselves. I like to steam them until they're tender and just go to town :dance:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Noyemi K posted:

LifehackFrench Cuisine: drown everything you eat in copious amounts of butter and one other thing!

ftfy

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, every Thanksgiving someone has to make sweet potatoes with marshmallows because :byodame: IT'S TRADITION!! and then all of two people actually enjoy it at all, half the people take tiny teaspoon sized portions because they feel obligated, and then 75% of the stuff is left over at the end and nobody wants to take it home with them. It's gross.

My grandma when she was alive would make a concoction of "Marshmallow Stuff" which was basically like, what I've also heard called "Ambrosia" in that it was the marshmallows, with 7-up, pineapple, and melted vanilla ice cream in it. My uncle loved it, nobody else ate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, every Thanksgiving someone has to make sweet potatoes with marshmallows because :byodame: IT'S TRADITION!! and then all of two people actually enjoy it at all, half the people take tiny teaspoon sized portions because they feel obligated, and then 75% of the stuff is left over at the end and nobody wants to take it home with them. It's gross.

My grandma when she was alive would make a concoction of "Marshmallow Stuff" which was basically like, what I've also heard called "Ambrosia" in that it was the marshmallows, with 7-up, pineapple, and melted vanilla ice cream in it. My uncle loved it, nobody else ate it.

Recently my wife's extended family has starting making some sort of vile concoction for every conceivable family event. It starts out as Hawaiian Punch (or some sort of other red fruit punch drink) mixed with Sprite or 7Up. That's not so bad, a bit overly sweet but my extended family has done the same thing for years, the carbonation makes the punch a bit better too. But then they add in whole scoops of rainbow sherbet and set it out to melt until it becomes this disgusting pile of foamy poo poo floating on the top. :barf:

loving no one drinks it with the sherbet still on top. Not even the three year old kids. It just gets pushed around by people trying to get the punch without a nasty film of sherbet on top. And most people won't even bother with all that extra work so it just sits there until it gets dumped out at the end of the party.