Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

PriorMarcus posted:

Given the show runner I'd guess she's sticking around then.

Modern Who has a problem with this in general. Rose coming back in Tennants last full season was stupid. Martha kept popping up. Donna even came back despite not having any memory of the Doctor, and let's not even start on Amy and Rory's many goodbyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HD DAD posted:

I just want CyberBrig to pop up and save the day every couple of episodes. No explanation whatsoever.

\/
"EVERY BODY GETS ONE. OLD CHAP."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

\/
"EVERY BODY GETS ONE. OLD CHAP."

Christ, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but man I miss those Cyberman heads.

The new ones are just too flat and round, Jesus.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

Christ, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but man I miss those Cyberman heads.

The new ones are just too flat and round, Jesus.

The new ones look like they don't fit with their body. Also. They look friendly. It's poo poo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The new ones in general just don't look very scary. Even the Cybus design had enough of a creepy factor.

Bright shiny robots just aren't that frightening.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mokinokaro posted:

The new ones in general just don't look very scary. Even the Cybus design had enough of a creepy factor.

Bright shiny robots just aren't that frightening.

I admire the fact that this time around they made an attempt to show that, look, there's actual human body stuff inside the suits, not just a brain (how the Cybus ones were), and seeing Danny's face contorted and riddled through with metal went a long way:

But they could still go further. Bring back the chin, dare to show something more underneath.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I love that effect SO MUCH, but it wouldn't really work on Cybermen, exactly.

I am assuming, assuming only of course, that CyberDanny still had his face because he didn't start decomposing yet, so it just worked around it for some reason.

Though I do wonder why the gently caress the way he talked changed so drastically once his face mask came off. It's not like that was limiting how he could speak. Whatever.

RoboCop has a face, but when you look at it you realize that holy poo poo, it's pretty much just STAPLED ON. They slapped a human face on a terminator skull and called it a day, and that's fantastic and perfectly suits the callous, skin deep care a giant company like Omni should have.

Cybermen wouldn't have any reason to keep a face if they had to remove it in the first place.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Burkion posted:

Cybermen wouldn't have any reason to keep a face if they had to remove it in the first place.

Exactly. To them, it's not even a consideration, they just burrow through the skin as needed. Faceplate attachment clamp? Just drill it into the skull's bone through the cheek. The skin itself will decompose and fall away, but that's secondary.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just retire the Cybermen for good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

Just retire the Cybermen for good.

But then they'd have to come up with original monsters and we can't have that...

(Original monsters was one of the things this season did pretty well with I think.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mokinokaro posted:

But then they'd have to come up with original monsters and we can't have that...

(Original monsters was one of the things this season did pretty well with I think.)

Moffat in general does better with original monsters than RTD did. No matter how he's used them The Weeping Angels and The Silence have a lot of potential. I can't see much variation possible in the Shadow monsters or Clockwork robots though.

The Boneless this season was great, but the Mummy was kind of a one time and done fluke of technology.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

She's back! And it's abou- no, wait.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/michelle-gomez-reveals-series-9-return-rani-trickery-68791.htm

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Good. Even bad episodes will be improved, because bad Moffat era Who is the sort of thing that will give the cackling villain a lot of scenery to chew on. Something tells me Gomez would be too busy to do a real Pertwee era "the Master is in every episode and behind everything" season, but even a pop-in now and then will mean this incarnation isn't wasted.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Didn't expect a return so soon. This is good news.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Hah I knew that she definitely said Rani in that clip, clever Moffat...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

They missed out Geoffrey Beevers and CGI snake

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Yes. More of her character is just what the Doctor ordered. Wow. I hate myself for making that pun, but here we are.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Preview of the Christmas episode is up:

http://youtu.be/MsxEenCBRG0

Someone please make some sense of that jacket for me because I'm having a hard time reconciling the image of the Doctor wearing a hoodie.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Man, this whole "fictional character is actually real" conceit thing is a big departure from all the episodes in the last series

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Based on the Doctor's conversation from that preview, I think that the twist of the episode is going to be that Nick Frost is not really Santa but only pretending for nefarious purposes. Then at the end of the episode we'll see the real Santa Claus because children watch this show so of course they're not going to say Santa isn't real.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It didn't really sound like the Doctor was threatening him though. My guess is whoever Frost really is is actually benevolent but uses Santa as a disguise for some reason.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Nuh huh he's really Santa, the real Santa :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Man, this whole "fictional character is actually real" conceit thing is a big departure from all the episodes in the last series

Did anyone else feel like Santa was making an implication that the Doctor is also like a fairy tale?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

The amount of people he's met and affected across all time and space I'm surprised he's not worshipped by all earth cultures.

Tennantjesus is not canon.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Chairman Capone posted:

Did anyone else feel like Santa was making an implication that the Doctor is also like a fairy tale?

yes. Also mocked the idea that Clara's parents loved her.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Everyone's missed the obvious that Nick Frost is clearly the new Master, he's just disguised as Santa to gently caress with the Doctor.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Land of Fiction is invading. And Santa, who is real, is fighting them off. Why not?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

david... posted:

Everyone's missed the obvious that Nick Frost is clearly the new Master, he's just disguised as Santa to gently caress with the Doctor.

As much as I adored Michelle Gomez.... this would be amazing.

As long as the two of them pair up in an episode.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I laughed at "of course I'm real! How do you think the presents got under the tree? [mocking pretend magician arm movements] by magic?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It was just the Robin Hood one, right? This at least looks interesting, although I'm sure the Narnia one did when it was just a preview.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

2house2fly posted:

I laughed at "of course I'm real! How do you think the presents got under the tree? [mocking pretend magician arm movements] by magic?"

"Because [your parents] love you so much?" was my favorite part :allears:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kazy posted:

"Because [your parents] love you so much?" was my favorite part :allears:

Of course Santas a dick, why do you think he always gives children from rich families a poo poo load more presents then those from poorer ones.

Classists git.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

david... posted:

Santa is clearly the Rani.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

It was just the Robin Hood one, right? This at least looks interesting, although I'm sure the Narnia one did when it was just a preview.

The Paternoster Gang claim to be the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes
Robin Hood
The Foretold
A theoretical but undiscovered 2D universe
Aaaaaand the very concept of an afterlife

That do you?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

david... posted:

The amount of people he's met and affected across all time and space I'm surprised he's not worshipped by all earth cultures.

Tennantjesus is not canon.

Which Jesus? Tinkerbell Jesus or Literal Jesus?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Well it didn't take long for someone claiming to be "in the know" to pop up and share some details about next series.

GallifreyBase posted:

Never done this before, can't actually do much, but here goes...

Another 13 ep series (counting the Xmas special), likely beginning on 22 August 2015. Debate currently going on about skipping a week for Halloween due to kiddies being out, but no verdict yet.

Steven Moffat's final series. The next head hasn't been decided yet. Peter Capaldi will stay on.

A mid-series two-parter and a finale two-parter. I believe the mid-series one is being written by Jamie Mathieson, and I think it's episodes 5 and 6.

Steven Moffat is writing eps 1, 9, 11, 12 and 13.

The Christmas special is the concluding part of the finale two-parter. Steven had to convince the BBC about this.

Missy/The Master returns in episode 9, but she's not the villain, more tangled up in the plot.

Missy tags along with the Doctor in episode 10, written by Neil Gaiman, pretty much stand-alone.

Episode 11 is a "prequel" of sorts to the finale. I'm sure some people will even consider it a three-parter, like the S3 finale.

Episodes 11, 12 and 13 involve the Time Lords and Missy, but Gallifrey does not return (permanently).

Other writers include: Tom MacRae, I think episode 2, Neil Cross, I think episode 3, Steve Thompson, I think episode 4, Mark Gatiss, I think episode 7, a new writer (as yet undecided) for episode 8.

Might post a bit more.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I hope the part about it being Moffat's last series is true.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The real giveaway (besides everything about it) is that Neil Gaiman had time to write another episode of Doctor Who right now. The poor dude is struggling with his other deadlines right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Bicyclops posted:

The real giveaway (besides everything about it) is that Neil Gaiman had time to write another episode of Doctor Who right now. The poor dude is struggling with his other deadlines right now.

And he wouldn't write a mistress and doctor episode, he already wrote "the doctor's wife"

• Locked thread