Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
PM me when it's ready Effexxor, I'll get your info added to the OP! Also wouldn't hurt to make a new post in the thread too, since so many questions have been about the income-based options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
So my grace period ended yesterday. My first payment is due on 01/12/15. I tried applying for forbearance (due to some medical problems currently going on), but it won't let me apply online. I get this error message: "Ineligible - This loan is paid ahead, and does not currently require payment." Anyone know what this means?

If I submit the forbearance forms by mail, should I put the date that I want to enter forbearance as the day before the first payment is due on 01/12/15, or earlier? Also, are there any advantages to applying for just a couple of months of forbearance or should I just go for the max (12). Thanks!

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
I started repaying early a couple months ago to knock down the three 6.8% unsubsidized loans I have. I seem to have screwed up the payment plan though, as one of the loans I've been whittling down now says that no payment is due til October of next year when it was January before I started repaying early.

I also read somewhere on the navient site that now no payment is due on all my loans til October? That can't be right.

The Good fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 14, 2014

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

quote:

So my grace period ended yesterday. My first payment is due on 01/12/15. I tried applying for forbearance (due to some medical problems currently going on), but it won't let me apply online. I get this error message: "Ineligible - This loan is paid ahead, and does not currently require payment." Anyone know what this means?

If I submit the forbearance forms by mail, should I put the date that I want to enter forbearance as the day before the first payment is due on 01/12/15, or earlier? Also, are there any advantages to applying for just a couple of months of forbearance or should I just go for the max (12). Thanks!
See below. That doesn't sound right though if you are just getting out of school. Call them up and see what the deal is.

Is it a federally backed loan or a private loan? If it's federal do yourself a favor and apply for deferment before forbearance.

All student loan lenders *I've* dealt with will take you out of deferment or forbearance if your financial situation improves. So let's say you get 12 months of forbearance but get your medical stuff taken care of in 4 months, you should be able to just call them and get back on a payment schedule. You really want to save as much of that time as you can in case you run into problems down the road -- for all their toxicity at least student loans have these options.

The Good posted:

I started repaying early a couple months ago to knock down the three 6.8% unsubsidized loans I have. I seem to have screwed up the payment plan though, as one of the loans I've been whittling down now says that no payment is due til October of next year when it was January before I started repaying early.

I also read somewhere on the navient site that now no payment is due on all my loans til October? That can't be right.

Navient/SLMs doesn't apply extra payment to principal as part of their SOP. Instead it "pays ahead" on future payments so they can gently caress you up the rear end on interest some more. From what I understand, you have to specifically physically send your payment in with an explanation of how it is to be applied. AFAIK there's no way to do it automatically. I was helping a friend with finances who was like 24 months "ahead" on her payments, boy she was pissed when we figured out her extra payments weren't really accelerating the debt repayments. Sorry I can't help more than directing you to their website, from my personal experience their customer service sucks slightly less rear end now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

quote:

Navient/SLMs doesn't apply extra payment to principal as part of their SOP. Instead it "pays ahead" on future payments so they can gently caress you up the rear end on interest some more. From what I understand, you have to specifically physically send your payment in with an explanation of how it is to be applied. AFAIK there's no way to do it automatically. I was helping a friend with finances who was like 24 months "ahead" on her payments, boy she was pissed when we figured out her extra payments weren't really accelerating the debt repayments. Sorry I can't help more than directing you to their website, from my personal experience their customer service sucks slightly less rear end now.

I don't believe this is actually true. When paying off my wife's Sallie Mae loans it did two things, paid down the principle but also says hey you paid extra so if you want don't make a payment for 10 months or whatever, meanwhile they indeed rack up interest. But the interest is on the lower principle. Great lakes does the same thing as well. You're principle does go down if you pay ahead though.

Maybe 3 years ago on Sallie Mae site you had to choose pay ahead or pay principle. They removed that option though and it goes to the principle now (at least my understanding of the letter they sent a few years back) with that extra option of letting interest accrue if you are ahead of schedule.

All our payments were online too.

You can always call and see what the deal is but even I tracked our interest payments and when I was 3 years ahead the interest was accruing on the smaller principle, no real shenanigans as long as you keep making the payment every month.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 14, 2014

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
LMAO Navient cashed two checks, one closing out loan #1 and one closing out loan #2 and instead of applying them both to their respective loans and zeroing the balance on both loans there's now a positive balance on one and a negative balance on the other.

Nice loving job shitlords.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

LMAO Navient cashed two checks, one closing out loan #1 and one closing out loan #2 and instead of applying them both to their respective loans and zeroing the balance on both loans there's now a positive balance on one and a negative balance on the other.

Nice loving job shitlords.

Yeah this type of poo poo happens all the time. I set up autopayments with them for 12 months and 8 months in started getting collection calls. The stupid fuckers applied the payments to 4 of my 6 loans so two went delinquent. I guess it was my fault for assuming they would handle poo poo correctly and not obsessively checking my account.

After a week and a half (!!!) of calling their customer service department, I just started calling random numbers and different departments and got routed around to no good end with lots of dropped calls and horrible answers.

Eventually I finally got ahold of them through their social media team on facebook, lol. The lady who arranged everything was actually one of the very few decent real people that's helped me there.

SocialMedia@salliemae.com was who I contacted, I don't know if it's still valid now with this navient bullshit. To their "credit" they reported everything to the bureaus as on time, non delinquent, etc. It just took like loving months to get everything sorted out.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When dealing with Sallie Mae/Navient, always use their Office of the Customer Advocate phone number:

https://www.navient.com/about/who-we-are/leadership/advocate/default.aspx

It allows you to bypass the outsourced call centers entirely, and you get a response within a day or so.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I have multiple loans from Aunt Sally, with varying amounts left and varying interest rates. I'm in a situation where I can easily overpay each month, and I have been for the last 2 years or so.

Is it better to blindly request that over-payments be applied to the highest interest rate loan first?

Or is it better to apply over-payments to the loan with the highest amount of accrued interest for that particular billing cycle?

This is of course assuming that they actually process my payments the way I tell them...which so far they haven't. At all.

I ask because with the 5 loans I have, the highest interest rate is on the loan with the 2nd lowest principal, so it works out such that one of my other loans accrues more in interest every month despite having a lower interest rate.

On the separate topic of them being dipshits and not applying my overpayments per my request, is it worth filing a complaint with the CFPB? I originally sent the sample form letter provided by the CFPB, which tells them to apply payments a certain way for all future payments. They ignored it completely, and didn't even apply it to one month's payment, let alone all of them. The 2nd time I threatened to go to the CFPB, and while it got me a call back from a non-call center person, but he just sat there saying, "We can't do it automatically each month we have to manually process it with each payment." They still didn't even do it with that payment, or any payment...

So would I get anything by submitting a complaint? Or is the CFPB just going to laugh at me for thinking that they have the power or resources to do anything?

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

DaveSauce posted:

I have multiple loans from Aunt Sally, with varying amounts left and varying interest rates. I'm in a situation where I can easily overpay each month, and I have been for the last 2 years or so.

Is it better to blindly request that over-payments be applied to the highest interest rate loan first?

Or is it better to apply over-payments to the loan with the highest amount of accrued interest for that particular billing cycle?

This is of course assuming that they actually process my payments the way I tell them...which so far they haven't. At all.

I ask because with the 5 loans I have, the highest interest rate is on the loan with the 2nd lowest principal, so it works out such that one of my other loans accrues more in interest every month despite having a lower interest rate.

You want the highest interest rate, with one exception (which I'll get to in a second). The total interest accrued is not the deciding factor. The principal reduction from the overpayment will be the same for all the loans (ie, whatever the amount of overpayment is), so you want to reduce the principal of the loan with the highest interest. Consider an overpayment of $100 on these two loans:
1. 2% loan; Amount of interest saved = $100 * 2% = $2
2. 5% loan; Amount of interest saved = $100 * 5% = $5

That holds true no matter the sizes of the loans or the total interest being accrued.

The only exception would be if the minimum payment being applied to one of the loans is not enough to pay off the interest accruing every month and that interest is capitalizing. In that case, you should add whatever you need to in order to at least pay the interest each month. But as long as none of the loans are getting bigger, you generally want to knock off the highest interest first. You're just lucky it's one of your smaller balances.

[edit: I was apparently too tired to be posting...principle =/= principal]

RogueLemming fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 12, 2014

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

RogueLemming posted:

The principle reduction from the overpayment will be the same for all the loans

Ah, that's the part I was missing in my thought process...it all makes sense now. Thanks!

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Man, Navient are really pieces of poo poo. I submitted IBR documents through the federal portal because I'm unemployed. I put that I had no taxable income. Nelnet processed my request within a week, no problems.

Navient didn't process it for 3 weeks. I emailed them asking what the deal was, they replied "Please provide a paystub dated within the last 90 days to process your request." I don't think they were ever going to tell me they hadn't processed it without me prodding them, and now they're jerking me around.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
the name changed but nothing else really did. :lol:

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

the name changed but nothing else really did. :lol:

I provided them with detailed instructions on how to read the form I submitted, including the relevant sections and what they mean.

Either they have literal retards working for them, or they're consciously trying to be as dishonest and unhelpful as possible.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
EDFinancial messed up my payments two years ago when I used their automatic payment and they attributed all of my payment to 1 of my loans instead of all of them.

This will, in one year, disqualify me from an interest rate drop of 3%. I only just found that line in the payments, so get to gear up for an angry phone call soon.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got a letter from Navient last night with a check for $30 because apparently their late fee disclaimer language was so crap they decided to give everyone money in restitution.

I've never paid a late fee to them so maybe they got sued or something?

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I got a letter from Navient last night with a check for $30 because apparently their late fee disclaimer language was so crap they decided to give everyone money in restitution.

I've never paid a late fee to them so maybe they got sued or something?

I got the same thing from SallieMae except it was a whopping $15, again no late fees.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My loan with them was paid off before they even changed their name so idgi

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My loan with them was paid off before they even changed their name so idgi

Same with my wife's and we haven't seen anything, so who knows.

teb1288
Feb 7, 2013
I have 42k in student loan debts (8k subsidized stafford, 34k unsubsidized, 6.55% with their auto pay minimum payments option, both with Nelnet) and I was having trouble a year ago getting a job so I picked the 25 year graduated repayment to get the lowest payments upfront. They had denied me IBR for some complication with proving income while I was a temp.

Now I am in a stable job overpaying my loans by at least $200 a month and looking to drop an additional $1,000 this month. All my overpayments I put into the unsubsidized loan.

I was wondering about the structure of the extended graduated loans. The description of the loans is that the minimum payments gradually increase over 25 years. Obviously I plan to pay them off way before 25 years. When does the minimum payment increase? It has been about 1 year since I have had to start paying. Will the minimum payment still increase even though I am paying off principal?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I read through a few pages and didn't see anything.

sweetdee
Oct 10, 2012
I wonder if anyone here can give me advice on my situation. Let me preface this with saying that, yes, I was a dumb 18 year old kid at one point.

Anyhow, I was accepted to a crazy expensive school, enrolled in 2004 and, because my family lived way below poverty I qualified for a lot of financial assistance. If I'm remembering correctly, I only had one loan (which seems to be a $1500 perkins loan). I transferred out of that school after a year and was able to get my Bachelors in Europe. I travelled around and worked in various countries since then. I've been back in the state of this original school for a year and I was just served a summons (and I was served at my job...is this ok?) saying that I owe $5,471.41. There is one exhibit attached which shows my loan amount of $1,500 with an annual interest rate of 5%. I don't understand why the total is so high.

Anyhow, I've literally completely forgot about this loan and was probably never contacted due to living in various countries. I now work at a non-profit in one of (if not the) the most expensive cities in the country and typically end up with a negative balance in my checking account for the last few days of the month. I have no savings or assets. There's no way I can pay $5k for anything, because I can barely afford to eat. What should I do? I don't even understand the response procedure. ..Can I just move to another state where I will not be under their jurisdiction (the plaintiff is apparently a lawyer hired by the school and this is going through the state courts. not the government, though I thought the Perkins loan was federal).

Thanks, and yep, financial management is not my thing!

sweetdee fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 7, 2015

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If it is a federal loan I believe they can garnish your wages and also will keep any tax refund you were going to get.

Not really sure what you should do. Can you try to reconcile thee account and get on an IBR plan?

sweetdee
Oct 10, 2012
Just to demonstrate how ignorant I am, I don't even know what an IRB plan is! I'm assuming since I'm being sued, I'm past the point of any reconciliation. Also, I've noted that this loan was given over 10 years ago...would it not be removed from my credit? Or is this different because it's student loans? I would be very happy if they just went ahead and took my tax returns rather than anything else, because I never count on a particular amount and so it's not part of my (tiny) budget, but getting my wages garnished would be catastrophic. Maybe that would be better than having them win a judgement against me and me being liable for the full amount immediately?

I find this situation so frightening, but I guess it cab't be too bad since there are no debtors prisons (anymore)!

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

sweetdee posted:

Just to demonstrate how ignorant I am, I don't even know what an IRB plan is! I'm assuming since I'm being sued, I'm past the point of any reconciliation. Also, I've noted that this loan was given over 10 years ago...would it not be removed from my credit? Or is this different because it's student loans? I would be very happy if they just went ahead and took my tax returns rather than anything else, because I never count on a particular amount and so it's not part of my (tiny) budget, but getting my wages garnished would be catastrophic. Maybe that would be better than having them win a judgement against me and me being liable for the full amount immediately?

I find this situation so frightening, but I guess it cab't be too bad since there are no debtors prisons (anymore)!

Huh? What are your monthly expenses? What is your monthly pay? If you end up in the red every month, then you either have an income problem, a spending problem, or both. Check the newbie personal finance thread and the budget threads to get an idea on how to get a grip on the situation.

IBR = Income Based Repayment. It scales payments depending on how much you make.

No, bankruptcy won't really help.

No, don't bury your head in the sand or run away.

If you're being sued, then you probably should consult an attorney. However, keep in mind that anyone owed money will drop an issue if you pay them. Do everything in your power to find a non litigious way to resolve the issue. Keep a dated record of all interactions with any attorney, school representative, collections agency, financial institution etc regarding this matter. Make sure you get their name and title. The amount you supposedly owe includes accrued interest plus likely penalties/fees.

Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of your credit report for free. See where this loan is marked. Not that it's your top priority now, but see if there's any other accounts that need to be addressed. The account in question is likely closed. This will limit your options. If it's still open, then there's plenty of opportunity to negotiate. Any plan you create, you should get in writing. Email can be your best friend for this purpose.

Once you have all of this information gathered, you'll be able to tailor a pay down plan. Good luck!

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
Is there any way to pay just the unsubsidized loans after consolidation? I consolidated my staffords, I have unsubsidized and subsidized with sallie mae (both 6.5%). I asked them if I could and they said no over email, but I hear you can get different responses depending on who you talk to. I'm on PAYE, and the effective interest rate of the subsidized ones is about 3% additionally, they will be 0% for a year during my fellowship so I don't really want to pay towards them. I feel like I read somewhere you can just pay the subsidized part after consolidation but maybe it was just hearsay.

Between this and extra payments going only to capitalized interest, I am nearing completely disincentivized from paying back a small portion of my loans, and it only becomes beneficial if I can pay off a massive portion at once (like 30k+).

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bigntasty posted:

Is there any way to pay just the unsubsidized loans after consolidation? I consolidated my staffords, I have unsubsidized and subsidized with sallie mae (both 6.5%). I asked them if I could and they said no over email, but I hear you can get different responses depending on who you talk to. I'm on PAYE, and the effective interest rate of the subsidized ones is about 3% additionally, they will be 0% for a year during my fellowship so I don't really want to pay towards them. I feel like I read somewhere you can just pay the subsidized part after consolidation but maybe it was just hearsay.

Between this and extra payments going only to capitalized interest, I am nearing completely disincentivized from paying back a small portion of my loans, and it only becomes beneficial if I can pay off a massive portion at once (like 30k+).
Consolidate: combine a number of things into a single thing.

Did ALL your federal loans become one or do you now have 2, a sub and unsub? If the first, SOL. If the second, people ITT have said you can mail checks and specify which loan they're to be applied to. I have no idea myself, I've never dealt with Sallie Mae.

You must have a high balance to not see a reason to pay them off asap... Because that is what you should do. Asap!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Asked this in another thread but has anyone had luck with a goodwill deletion from Sallie Mae for late payment notices on your credit report? My loans have been settled for 2 years now and I'd love to see if I could get those marks taken off

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

Consolidate: combine a number of things into a single thing.

Did ALL your federal loans become one or do you now have 2, a sub and unsub? If the first, SOL. If the second, people ITT have said you can mail checks and specify which loan they're to be applied to. I have no idea myself, I've never dealt with Sallie Mae.

You must have a high balance to not see a reason to pay them off asap... Because that is what you should do. Asap!

They are still listed as 2 within Sallie Mae's system, because they get treated differently. But they said they won't apply a payment to only one. I have a little over 80k. I've run the math and it seems like the effective return I would get on relatively small payment is pretty crappy. ie (0% on any payment up to about 2k, then at 10k it would be about 2.8%, and then up to 5.25% @~ 60k). That's not great considering the effective interest I am paying on the loans is about 5.25%. I guess I shouldn't have consolidated, whoops.

The reason for this is with PAYE (gov pays interest on the sub loan over my payment). Also when I enter fellowship I can get forbearance and the sub loan goes to 0% for a year.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bigntasty posted:

They are still listed as 2 within Sallie Mae's system, because they get treated differently. But they said they won't apply a payment to only one. I have a little over 80k. I've run the math and it seems like the effective return I would get on relatively small payment is pretty crappy. ie (0% on any payment up to about 2k, then at 10k it would be about 2.8%, and then up to 5.25% @~ 60k). That's not great considering the effective interest I am paying on the loans is about 5.25%. I guess I shouldn't have consolidated, whoops.

The reason for this is with PAYE (gov pays interest on the sub loan over my payment). Also when I enter fellowship I can get forbearance and the sub loan goes to 0% for a year.
Humm. I swear people in here have over paid one loan vs both with Sallie Mae... Call back and see if someone else can answer correctly maybe.

Also, through effective rate numbers out the window. Your interest rates are almost double inflation and a hair under safe long term growth rates (we could debate both, but it isn't worth it), so the goal is to pay them off ASAP. I hope you can find a way to just pay the unsub down (at least to keep interest from making it grow) while DeptEd pays the interest on the sub while you're in the fellowship.

Good luck. I've heard *lots* of fantastic things about Sallie Mae....

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

seacat posted:

See below. That doesn't sound right though if you are just getting out of school. Call them up and see what the deal is.

Is it a federally backed loan or a private loan? If it's federal do yourself a favor and apply for deferment before forbearance.

All student loan lenders *I've* dealt with will take you out of deferment or forbearance if your financial situation improves. So let's say you get 12 months of forbearance but get your medical stuff taken care of in 4 months, you should be able to just call them and get back on a payment schedule. You really want to save as much of that time as you can in case you run into problems down the road -- for all their toxicity at least student loans have these options.

I've had to call Navient several times to increase payments correctly, Could not find a way online to get them to put me back on the 10 year plan, then when I wanted to increase my payment and apply the increased payment to principal I think I broke their system because the poor guy at the call center 1) never heard of anyone calling in to do such a thing and 2) had no tools to make this kind of modification without reissueing the loan (and charging more fees).

Navient's business model is designed to make it as hard as possible to apply additional payments to principal, Apparently they get less money from the government when you pay your loan off faster than normal.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Has anyone had any issues consolidating with Wells Fargo? Or any other bank? And by issues, I mean by getting a reasonable interest rate and not having any strange terms or restrictions or other gotchas.

I ran the numbers and found that if I can consolidate at less than 5.25%, I will come out ahead in the long run. And I'll also NOT be with Sallie Mae/Navient/Dipshit Lenders Inc. anymore. I'd rather NOT go with Wells Fargo, but as I understand it it's either them or Citibank for consolidation these days.

Also, I gather that when consolidating, my general strategy should be to consolidate only those loans which have a HIGHER interest rate than the others? Frankly I'd find it worth the interest hike to get away from Dipshit Lenders Inc., but I know it doesn't make financial sense. My lowest interest rate loan also happens to be my smallest, so I can easily pay it off if I want...but I know that money would be better served paying down a higher interest loan.

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found
How does Pay As You Earn take married borrowers into account? My fiance and I both have >60k in Federal student loan debt. I make ~60k and she makes ~30k. Separately, under PAYE, it looks like her monthly payments are going to be around 100 bucks, and mine will be a little over 300. But if we combine our incomes and starting filing taxes together as a married couple, and our household income is 90k, are we EACH going to have to pay 535 a month?

Are we going to have to file separate tax returns until our student loans are paid off?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

alwayslost posted:

How does Pay As You Earn take married borrowers into account? My fiance and I both have >60k in Federal student loan debt. I make ~60k and she makes ~30k. Separately, under PAYE, it looks like her monthly payments are going to be around 100 bucks, and mine will be a little over 300. But if we combine our incomes and starting filing taxes together as a married couple, and our household income is 90k, are we EACH going to have to pay 535 a month?

Are we going to have to file separate tax returns until our student loans are paid off?

I'm not using PAYE but under my income-based repayment there was the ability to declare other loan payments as a deduction on cost. PAYE is used as a % of total family student loans, not each it's own.

If you're on a standard repayment and she's on PAYE, I'm not sure.

quote:

(B) Both the borrower and borrower's spouse have eligible loans and filed a joint Federal tax return, in which case the Secretary determines—

(1) Each borrower's percentage of the couple's total eligible loan debt;

(2) The adjusted monthly payment for each borrower by multiplying the calculated payment by the percentage determined in paragraph (a)(2)(ii)(B)(1) of this section;

[/quote]

In this case you're responsible for half of the payment and she's responsible for the other half.

There's a calculator that I stumbled over here: http://educatedrisk.org/analysis/simple-ibrpaye-payment-calculator-2014-edition which seems a little slapped together but yes being married will raise your payments.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

If you're on a standard repayment and she's on PAYE, I'm not sure.

That's my situation and yep we are filing separately for the next 10 years. Sucks.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Warning - stupid newbie questions ahead! I'm not American, and not very familiar with US style student loans.

My wife has about $65k in loans beginning 10 years ago in her 20s. About 75% unsubsidized. She's been paying the minimum (about $450/month) for years with a few repayment breaks as well. We live in UK and both have UK citizenship now (as well as NZ for me).

What happens with repayments when she reaches retirement age and earned income drops to zero, and we rely on foreign pensions and savings?

Edit: we will not be living in the US in retirement. More likely NZ.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 21, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

sweat poteto posted:

Warning - stupid newbie questions ahead! I'm not American, and not very familiar with US style student loans.

My wife has about $65k in loans beginning 10 years ago in her 20s. About 75% unsubsidized. She's been paying the minimum (about $450/month) for years with a few repayment breaks as well. We live in UK and both have UK citizenship now (as well as NZ for me).

What happens with repayments when she reaches retirement age and earned income drops to zero, and we rely on foreign pensions and savings?

Edit: we will not be living in the US in retirement. More likely NZ.
It's AGI/MAGI that loan IBR programs look at, not earned income - so you'll get to keep paying till they're paid or settled (IBR Type of thing, Prob doesn't apply). I'd suggest paying the loans off. Who the hell wants student loans, or any loans, for 30-40yr+?!

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

I am hoping to be going to grad school this fall, and am curious what my chances realistically are of obtaining a grad plus loan. I have no current negative debt (undergrad student loans that are paid on time and some cards with $0 balances are the only open accounts), but have a bad history from a while ago. Most of the bad history has fallen off my report, with the exception of two things - a redeemed repossession (The car was repossessed in February of 2008, I got it back and paid it off in full December of 2009) and a 90 day past due marker in December of 2009 for a previous student loan (which was somehow okay in November 2009 and paid off in full by January of 2009. I have attempted but had no luck in disputing this). I know grad plus loans are based on credit history, not credit score, but I have also heard it is more based on current debt, not things paid off, so I honestly don't know whether these will prevent me from obtaining grad plus loans or not, and I really don't have anyone that could cosign so it's certainly something I'm anxious about.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
Has anyone refinanced into private loans? My wife has about $70K (20k %3 23k 7% 27k 8%) in loans, and we plan on paying them off within the next 2 years. Would it be worth trying to refinance them or should we just pay them off as fast as we can?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Last fall I applied for $18,000 in Stafford loans to cover tuition and living expenses. The money was sent to the school, where they deducted ~$5,500 for tuition and one book I bought through the school. I got my reimbursement direct-deposited last night, expecting about $12,000, but it was only $5,100. What the gently caress happened? I was going to cut a check to an apartment for an entire year's rent in just a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Aliquid posted:

Last fall I applied for $18,000 in Stafford loans to cover tuition and living expenses. The money was sent to the school, where they deducted ~$5,500 for tuition and one book I bought through the school. I got my reimbursement direct-deposited last night, expecting about $12,000, but it was only $5,100. What the gently caress happened? I was going to cut a check to an apartment for an entire year's rent in just a few days.

Are you a graduate student or an undergrad? For undergrad you can't take out that much (unless it's medical school). For grads, you'll need to check on how much the school actually certified. Also, keep in mind that disbursements are cut in half - half in the Fall, half in the Spring, so if you're going for the full year you'd get the remaining next semester.