Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Watched the Sunset Overdrive video and man I have no idea what to feel other then "kind of lovely zombie land"

I love the art style and the colors really popped. Agreeing with the words popping up like they showed being a cool stylistic thing if done right but every bit of gameplay just looked super slow and dull. Bouncing off cars and stuff like super Mario didn't animate well and just kinda eech. Also it felt like a bunch of low hanging fruit jokes one after another that by the time the character went "boy this sure is a video game huh guys?" with a playful wink I just groaned.

Maybe it's better in person but it felt like all style and no substance

I'm just surprised in general to see how 'not complete garbage like Sonic 2006' it was. Looking at it from the XBone mockthread, I certainly didn't expect it to turn out halfway decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I see fisticuffs is up with Melee answering my question before.

Same time I'm clutching my head and preparing for Liam in this thing.

Edit: One thing I never understood about the Melee intro is what the gently caress is DK doing throwing a spirit bomb near the end of it? What's that even supposed to be from?

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 15, 2014

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'm just surprised in general to see how 'not complete garbage like Sonic 2006' it was. Looking at it from the XBone mockthread, I certainly didn't expect it to turn out halfway decent.

Please don't listen to any mockthreads for video game advice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edit: One thing I never understood about the Melee intro is what the gently caress is DK doing throwing a spirit bomb near the end of it? What's that even supposed to be from?

It looks like he's just getting hit with mewtwo's shadow ball

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 15, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Sunset Overdrive seems like a game that could very easily go from "pretty funny" to "completely obnoxious". Hopefully it doesn't because the game itself looks decently fun.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

$4000 dollar computer seems like it's probably overspending SOMEWHERE...

Hey Matt, tell Pat to suck it up, get on SA and hit SH/SC next time he needs to build a rig. Might save him a grand on the next one.

The $4000 figure was merely an an example, nobody knows/cares how much Pat actually spent.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Ruggington posted:

Please don't listen to any mockthreads for video game advice

The XBox One had a few stumbles for sure, but I've had a system since day one and the system itself and its games weren't nor are nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Watched the Sunset Overdrive video and man I have no idea what to feel other then "kind of lovely zombie land"

I love the art style and the colors really popped. Agreeing with the words popping up like they showed being a cool stylistic thing if done right but every bit of gameplay just looked super slow and dull. Bouncing off cars and stuff like super Mario didn't animate well and just kinda eech. Also it felt like a bunch of low hanging fruit jokes one after another that by the time the character went "boy this sure is a video game huh guys?" with a playful wink I just groaned.

Maybe it's better in person but it felt like all style and no substance

From what I hear, it starts out really slow but then suddenly becomes fun once you get all your abilities.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

The XBox One had a few stumbles for sure, but I've had a system since day one and the system itself and its games weren't nor are nearly as bad as people made it out to be.
It's pretty much the same situation the PS3 was in last generation, just with the nametags swapped around and less quotations about how people will work longer shifts just to buy one (oh Kutaragi...)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Odobenidae posted:

The $4000 figure was merely an an example, nobody knows/cares how much Pat actually spent.

Hey Matt, ask Pat how much he spent on his kickass PC. Make sure to tune out after he tells you the price though that's all we care about.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Evil Within just makes me...bummed out. Like, it doesn't make me annoyed like bad games do, there are legit really great parts, but so much feels so slapped together and just kinda rambly I just wound up tired when I finished it.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

goldblums eyes posted:

Matt, I know this is selfish to ask. but, since the site has gone up, do you guys have a big "BREAK THE INTERNET" type of super best friends ~thing in the works?

They already did. It was the end of the one Woolie vs. Japan.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pat "Hit me with the sex kick" Powertough.

holy poo poo the comments on the sunset overdrive video are terrrrible

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 15, 2014

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Radio Paranoia posted:

They already did. It was the end of the one Woolie vs. Japan.

Yeah, that was honestly the most "break the internet" video they could've released. When the video came out I said in this thread "that made my mancrush on Woolie so much more intense". Best video.
But, I just feel like they have a bomb ready to throw in the pipes that no one is ready for. As whatever as that sounds, I imagine there's something coming...

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 15, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dias posted:

I thought Woolie meant God Hand 2 more in the sense of IGN giving this "hard" character action game review to someone that's really bad at character action games.

This is incredibly silly.
"Character action games" elitism is very silly.
Button bashers is a good term, unlike character action games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Character action is an awful term and I did not even know it was a phrase until I heard Matt and Pat say it in their Revengeance playthrough. I always called them stylish action games. Hell, even button bashers works.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

goldblums eyes posted:

Yeah, that was honestly the most "break the internet" video they could've released. When the video came out I said in this thread "that made my mancrush on Woolie so much more intense". Best video.
But, I just feel like they have a bomb ready to throw in the pipes that no one is ready for. As whatever as that sounds, I imagine there's something coming...

October 2015

Let's Watch Troll 2

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fatherboxx posted:

This is incredibly silly.
"Character action games" elitism is very silly.
Button bashers is a good term, unlike character action games.

I'm not being elitist, I'm stating a fact. The IGN review wasn't nowhere as bad as God Hand's, but two of the complaints were "this doesn't have a Pokémon element system" (as far as I'm aware neither does the show) and "the item store doesn't save my item selections". Also, it says Arkham games and Shadow of Mordor have a deeper combat system. It smacks of "reviewer doesn't really play these games" to me. Not that LOK looks amazing, it's probably a 6 or 7 if we're grading.

I just used the "character action game" term because it's what the Zaibatsu uses and since we're discussing this here, might as well short-hand it like that. It's not my favorite term either (gently caress, God Hand doesn't even fit the definition). Actually, most denominations for that sub-genre sound dumb to me.

Beef Waifu posted:

I always called them stylish action games.

For instance. May I propose DMC-like? A portmanteau of Final Fight and Super Mario 64?

(For real tho, I just say "3D brawler" or something like that)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have never heard anyone but the zaibatsu use the phrase so it makes sense that we would use it here in this thread since everyone would know exactly what you were talking about. I guess I'm super elitist about it because I wouldn't call the platinumgames/devil may cry stuff button mashers since it implies, to me at least, that there is very little or no depth to its combat.

I'd call God of War / Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, etc button mashers for that reason, but Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, etc require so much more out of the player as far as timing and other mechanics unique to them that button masher doesn't really describe it well enough.

Also Korra loving sucked.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
"Button bashers" is the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard in my entire goddamn life to the point where I'm convinced anyone who claims they like it is being ironic.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TriffTshngo posted:

"Button bashers" is the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard in my entire goddamn life to the point where I'm convinced anyone who claims they like it is being ironic.

Every time I read a fighting game review and it includes a variation of the sentence "it's a great button masher" I die a little bit inside. It's not that unusual either.

Plus, it works better with something like California Games.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Maybe the thing that might set the devil may cry/playinumgames stuff apart from ButtonBashers is the fact that the former all explicitly rank you at the end of missions, shaming/encouraging you to improve your weak rear end poo poo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Getting upset over the term "Character Action" seems like a really dumb thing to get upset over.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've definitely heard Jeff over at GB use character action so it's a real thing, but like most video game genres it's incredibly terrible and non-specific.

That said as far as Korra goes, it's a 6-7/10. Woolie and Liam just refuse to admit that Platinum made a mediocre game for once.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Rodyle posted:

I've definitely heard Jeff over at GB use character action so it's a real thing, but like most video game genres it's incredibly terrible and non-specific.

That said as far as Korra goes, it's a 6-7/10. Woolie and Liam just refuse to admit that Platinum made a mediocre game for once.

I think it's about a 6. They were really forgiving of it. It's certainly one of the better licensed games in recent memory. But yeah.

People were asking if there's any "break the internet" stuff in the works.

Well, I have a really fun "WEEK OF" during a certain time frame in December that I think will be a lot of fun. Also have two live action videos planned relatively soon; one is the long-awaited MATT'S AMERICAN CEREAL TASTE TEST EXPLOSION: THE INTERNATIONAL BLOWOUT and a realllly funny idea for a new video hocking our shirts in another two weeks or so.

Nothing earth shattering, but I think all that stuff's fun.

As for the new merch, I'll just let you guys in:

One shirt is about the Dark Souls II LP
One is about the Nuzlocke
One is about the shitstorm
And a new poster has to do with mecha.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

TheRealestMatt posted:

If we're on the same wavelength, consider it already sold.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I have a feeling I'll be buying the DS2 shirt and/or the Nuzlocke one.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

TheRealestMatt posted:

Calling it:- it's a "drop your shield" shirt.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

Gotta be that or like, Woolie getting killed with Pat's head saying 'perfect' or something.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Slowbeef is going to stream his Alien Soldier 1CC attempt tonight and Woolie's gonna be there:

He streams at http://twitch.tv/effinslowbeef

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheRealestMatt posted:

MATT'S AMERICAN CEREAL TASTE TEST EXPLOSION: THE INTERNATIONAL BLOWOUT
Are you able to give us a tidbit of the American cereal you'll be trying? Maybe the one you're anticipating/dreading the most?

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Can your inevitable crossover with Jontron be him doing a revealing expose about all the weird Canadian cereals?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Wiseblood posted:

Slowbeef is going to stream his Alien Soldier 1CC attempt tonight and Woolie's gonna be there:

He streams at http://twitch.tv/effinslowbeef

That was a very clutch run by Beef. The last boss trolled him pretty hard. 15 hp left and it does a sky dive attack one more.

Now Woolie gotta match it. :v:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That was a legit display by Fastbeef. drat. Now there's only one way you can show him up, Woolie: speedrun Dark Souls 2. :getin:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Watching Korra Ep 2 and listening to Liam talk about how limited the first run of the game is, I feel that's my main complaint about character action games (which I otherwise like, even if I'm awful at them): they're designed so that the first run is arguably the worst, and I'm someone who usually only runs a game once. Unless I truly fall in love that first run, like I did with Dark Souls, I'm not going to play it 6 times or whatever.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't think that's true for many of those games at all. Kora is unique in that its main mechanics are locked away up until even the final mission.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, most of Platinum's games have the benefits of rationing out the weapons you get, giving you meaningful enemies to fight with what you do have, and so on. You aren't really left wanting for more things to do at the start of a game, instead the game gives you more to broaden what you can do with your already sizable moveset. Korra dumps you into the game with none of your bending, bad physical combat abilities and then the first bending it gives you is water which loving sucks because of how slow and monotonous it is. It doesn't space out powers properly and what you do get is not enough to diversify gameplay and even the boss fights you get don't take full advantage of what you can do.

Like compare it to Revengeance which is a game that is only about an hour or so longer than Korra. The second you start you are given a parry, multiple ways to knock enemies around with weak and strong sword attacks and if you want to spend credits you can build upon it more. The game does not actively lock you out of its main mechanics and the bosses that you fight teach you how to fight in certain ways while also taking into account where they are in the game and what equipment you will have.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So uh, this is probably late to ask but why is there an FPS counter on the lower right corner?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pat said in one of the video descriptions that he accidentally left it on.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I wasn't planning on bringing up Project M again, but now that 3.5's launched I would love to see them play its new Stamina Mode. It removes the blastzones and instead transforms them into Pac-Man style screen-wraps that just take off five HP when you pass through one. They also made it so as you lose HP you'll get launched farther like when you take damage in normal fights. Matches get pretty silly as a result.

Also Snake has a Big Boss costume now and that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

And the back says "Know what I mean?".