Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Caros is the embodiment of the fans of the previous gundam material Tomino said the show wasn't for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Sharkopath posted:

Also final production art of the G-Arcane, I can't parse what the dude is saying about this one as well but it was built by the Amerians and based on the G system, he designed it to look like something that would represent aida and also work to boost the morale of the Amerian soldiers that saw it, I think.

Gアルケインはアメリア初のG系MSで破格の高性能機。また姫が駆る事でアメリア軍の士気向上と技術革新の象徴となっています。多くの武装は勿論姫を帰還させる為、と考えデザインしました。画像は僕の設定稿です。HGアルケイン20日出荷です何卒!

You're pretty close. Quick and dirty:

"The G-Arcane is the Amerian Army's first G-type mobile suit and as such is a high-spec unit. With the princess as its pilot, it serves to improve troops' morale and act as a symbol of Ameria's technological innovation. Most of its equipment was, of course, designed with the intention of getting the princess back in one piece. This image is from my design sheet. The HG Arcane ships on the 20th, so be sure to grab yours!"

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Caros posted:

I watch all new gundam as it comes out, since it'll inevitably end up in an SRW/dynasty warriors game I play some day. I watched clean through AGE despite it being garbage[.]

Sextro posted:

Caros is the embodiment of the fans of the previous gundam material Tomino said the show wasn't for.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I just don't understand why you would spend time in your life experiencing something you don't enjoy if you're not being forced to do it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Under the vegetable posted:

I just don't understand why you would spend time in your life experiencing something you don't enjoy if you're not being forced to do it.

Why is it that criticising something means you don't enjoy it. I've said multiple times that I enjoy the action bits, I think the plot is okay. God forbid that I point out that I think the actions of the characters are stupid huh?

Sextro posted:

Fans who want a well written show? Fair enough. My soul is tied down by logic and a desire for storytelling that makes sense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Caros posted:

Fans who want a well written show? Fair enough. My soul is tied down by logic and a desire for storytelling that makes sense.

You must hate David Lynch films and Utena then.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Its really funny how serious and intense Mask is compared to the rest of the cast. Yelling about balloons and islands and WHAT IS THIS!?!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The show makes no sense, and all of those people writing a lot of insightful words about the show are in fact, con artists. The jig is up, and now the thread must be locked.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Azipod posted:

Its really funny how serious and intense Mask is compared to the rest of the cast. Yelling about balloons and islands and WHAT IS THIS!?!

I did enjoy that. WHAT THE HELL! A BALLOON!? HOW!?

quote:

You must hate David Lynch films and Utena then.

As a general rule, yeah. Well, except for twin peaks which was okay.

quote:

The show makes no sense, and all of those people writing a lot of insightful words about the show are in fact, con artists. The jig is up, and now the thread must be locked.

The action of individual characters make no sense or are severely divorced from what any normal person would do in a similar situation. Again I point to Bellri casually letting a man fall to what should probably have been his death, or Aida getting out of her cockpit to say hi to dad in an active warzone as just one of any number of examples.

And for the record I realize that the first one was a comedy bit. It fails at being funny because it makes Bellri look like a sociopath.

Sakurazuka posted:

Cool, I can ignore you opinion on everything then.

And I can ignore yours. See, the system works!

On that note, see you folks next week!

Caros fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 15, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's incredibly hosed up to think about, but I think the man comically falling off the Gundam was meant to be a joke.

e: lol nice edit

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Caros posted:

As a general rule, yeah.

Cool, I can ignore you opinion on everything then.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
David Lynch is one of my all time favorite writers and directors. Also isn't the lack of military competence of these characters in spite of their obvious natural talents kind of part of the plot?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When you get down to it there's a lot of funny comedy that makes characters out to be sociopaths. It's all good though.

I'd love for more anime to use slapstick instead of YELLING REALLY LOUDLY TO TELL THE AUDIENCE THAT THIS IS A JOKE.

Under the vegetable posted:

David Lynch is one of my all time favorite writers and directors. Also isn't the lack of military competence of these characters in spite of their obvious natural talents kind of part of the plot?

Yeah, it is. They're definitely not shy about that part.

The Amerian army does have experience but heck, jokes are good and with the show's tone something like a dude falling from the Gundam for laffs doesn't feel out of place.

Srice fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 15, 2014

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Caros posted:

And for the record I realize that the first one was a comedy bit. It fails at being funny because it makes Bellri look like a sociopath.

Dude, Bellri tries to tell the guy how to get down, stands up as if concerned when the guy does start to fall, then has already heard the guy state that he's okay by the time it cuts back to the G-Self's cockpit. You probably wouldn't get nearly as much poo poo as you do in this thread if you'd tone down the hyperbole.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

John Carstairs posted:

Dude, Bellri tries to tell the guy how to get down, stands up as if concerned when the guy does start to fall, then has already heard the guy state that he's okay by the time it cuts back to the G-Self's cockpit. You probably wouldn't get nearly as much poo poo as you do in this thread if you'd tone down the hyperbole.

Gonna be honest and say it comes across as only half paying attention to the show, since so many replies are about correcting misconceptions.

Heck, I give it my full attention each week and I still catch so many little things on a rewatch. The show constantly has a lot of neat things going on and I appreciate that attention to detail.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
In that case...

Did you notice Aida landed on the beach with the same unwieldy-rear end anti-ship rifle she's been using the whole time but takes off with a standard beam rifle? Is it possible she heard certain complaints last week and simply stopped to talk to her dad for a few minutes while they were unpacking the weapons? :v:

Certain complaints:

John Carstairs posted:

They should give [Aida] a weapon designed for something besides shooting boats.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

John Carstairs posted:

In that case...

Did you notice Aida landed on the beach with the same unwieldy-rear end anti-ship rifle she's been using the whole time but takes off with a standard beam rifle? Is it possible she heard certain complaints last week and simply stopped to talk to her dad for a few minutes while they were unpacking the weapons? :v:

Certain complaints:

Haha, I did not notice that. That's a nice catch!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

John Carstairs posted:

In that case...

Certain complaints:

That would certainly explain why Bellri actually bothered to shove her out of the way when she took aim at his mum's glider.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Bell makes weird screechy sounds when he's distressed. It's surprisingly hilarious.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Level Slide posted:

Bell makes weird screechy sounds when he's distressed. It's surprisingly hilarious.

As compared to dying horse Kira.

Azipod posted:

I was getting serious Mr. Bushido vibes from him this episode.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I love how totally chill that meeting was with Wilmit (I know her name now!) and Aida's dad (I'll get his one day, I'm sure). They just sit down to discuss things over a nice dinner. These are people who aren't used to being at war. They may be fighting with proxy pirates and research groups, but it seems like both sides understand that they're really just playing in order to improve their technology. Which is kind of sick, as people are dying! Mask seems appropriately pissed off at that attitude at least. But the Important People don't really have a sense of that when they meet, even as things are getting more serious.

So... I know I'm usually the one writing long effort-posts explaining poo poo, but there's a couple (intriguing) things I'm not quite clear on.

What is SU-Cordism again? The way they mentioned it, it sounds like the organization that distributes the Photon Batteries, so I thought it was pretty much synonymous with the Capital Tower, but here they're talking about them like they're different things, and the tower is just the physical tower. What's the relationship between the Capital Tower and SU-Cordism?

Also, one line I'm trying to figure out exactly the implications of is: "The work of the Kashiba Mikoshi, which brings us the Photon Batteries, is the pulse of the universe itself!" I thought the Photon Batteries were somehow charged in the ionosphere... but now that I think about it considering the Under-Nut, which is already in space, is the first of many stations, they clearly aren't operating things as low as the atmosphere. Was the ionosphere thing a lie (or was I misremembering it) and they're importing the photon batteries from further out somehow? It'd be interesting if all of the Earth was energy dependent on ~someone else~ and nobody on Earth really knows who, beyond the people they immediately deal with (SU-Cordism, apparently).

It's interesting how... religious Wilmit was about seeing a picture of Kashiba Mikoshi (a space colony, I guess?). Something about that picture shook her worldview, and her faith in what the religious authorities have told her (even about material things), to the point where she's worried about the safety of the Capital Tower. Interestingly, the rest of that conversation implies His Holiness has at one point told her that, even if ~someone~ invades from space, the Capital Tower would be safe as a vital transportation facility.

Also I didn't notice until re-watch Aida figured out something about the Capital Army's space capability. My guess is that she realizes the Capital Army doesn't have any spaceships (didn't get any from Gondwan), they must have militarized the Under Nut.

Now that I think about it, this might have something to do with Wilmit's concern for the Capital Tower.

We don't really know what's up exactly, but everyone's so worried. It's... worrying! :ohdear:

I feel like things are building to a mid-season climax where things get really shaken up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Empty batteries go up, full batteries come down. Asking about it is taboo :toughguy:.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Mick Jack is loving awesome if you disagree gently caress you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eiba posted:

What is SU-Cordism again? The way they mentioned it, it sounds like the organization that distributes the Photon Batteries, so I thought it was pretty much synonymous with the Capital Tower, but here they're talking about them like they're different things, and the tower is just the physical tower. What's the relationship between the Capital Tower and SU-Cordism?

SU-Cordism appears to be the actual religion.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

SU-Cordism appears to be the actual religion.
That makes sense. You don't usually hear about religions issuing economic sanctions, but here we are.

Rewatching the first episode, I like how literal the first generic-religious lines seem to be: "It is by the grace of the universe that the land is blessed. It is because of the sacred taboo that people can live out their lives in eternal tranquility. Open your hearts wide to heaven. For it is heaven that bestows upon us the source of life and sustenance." That sounds like such generic fantasy-religion nonsense. But it seems like it's very specifically and literally true.

Also, the reason I was rewatching the first episode: I did indeed misremember the source of the Photon Batteries. The upper atmosphere charges the field that keeps the space elevator (and the corridor of space around it) matching the earth's rotation. It looks like it goes out way farther than a real space elevator would, and so isn't anchored to a geostationary satellite, but instead is being kept "rigid" by... minovsky particles or something. They don't say where all these nuts go or where the photon batteries come from.

I hadn't wondered too much about it before, but I'm really curious about what's at the top of the Capital Tower.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Razzled posted:

Mick Jack is loving awesome if you disagree gently caress you

Nah, she's pretty cool.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Capital Tower will be destroyed and become the Zacktraeger.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Capital Tower will be destroyed and become the Zacktraeger.

Considering it's likely the guys on other end of the spacelift are the Threat from Space, I'm expecting them to just cut the cables and drop the Undernut on Capital Tower.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Threat from Space (tm) has to be surviving colonists from the UC era. They may have been spared from the horrors that took place on Earth, given that we don't know exactly how everything came crashing down. And given the ideologies that were popular, they might have just taken to ruling the now-primitive earthnoids as pseudo-deities that bestow energy on them as a blessing, and use that means of control to keep them from loving up the planet again.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Eiba posted:

Was the ionosphere thing a lie (or was I misremembering it) and they're importing the photon batteries from further out somehow?

Take a look at the Moon in the screenshot. My guess is those are solar panels and Kashiba Mikoshi (the space station in the bottom right) is using those to charge the Photon Batteries.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Take a look at the Moon in the screenshot. My guess is those are solar panels and Kashiba Mikoshi (the space station in the bottom right) is using those to charge the Photon Batteries.
I noticed the clear man-made strip across the moon, but I only now checked against maps of the moon to realize... yep. That strip is exactly centered on the moon's equator. Right where you'd expect solar panels.

drat. That must generate truly absurd amounts of power.

As a side note, comparing it to our current moon, there are quite a few extra craters, including a bunch of those overlapping the presumed solar panels.

Edit: Tomino must have read about this crazy plan.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Have to chime in and say that I absolutely love the art for this particular image. Its subtle enough that you have to pause for a second and go "What is up with the mo-ohmygod what is all of that?" Very well done.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Eiba posted:

Aida's dad (I'll get his [name] one day, I'm sure)

It was actually in this episode. At least in the Australian subs, he's Gusion Surugan.

Pierce_The_Heavens
Feb 7, 2014
My bet is on Anaheim electronics being involved, they probably built the gself. Those fuckers probably have weaseled their way into surviving a thousand years, and the whole religion thing reeks of the vist foundation stuff from unicorn. I doubt Tomino would bring all that stuff in, but it's fun to speculate.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Obviously those aren't solar cells, they're the windows covering the canal where Loran will grow up in a few thousand years.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
This weeks episode was pretty good, aside from what the hell was Aida thinking when she was going to shoot down a completely harmless glider without even checking who was on board. That's some seriously dumb stuff there. Aida aside, everybody in this episode was great. Bell clearly gets his personality from his mom cause she seems to have just as much a spontaneous amount of fucks to give regarding any given situation.

I felt super bad for that mechanic who nailed his chin on the G-Self's cockpit though, eesh. That made me wince. :gonk:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Overlord K posted:

This weeks episode was pretty good, aside from what the hell was Aida thinking when she was going to shoot down a completely harmless glider without even checking who was on board. That's some seriously dumb stuff there. Aida aside, everybody in this episode was great. Bell clearly gets his personality from his mom cause she seems to have just as much a spontaneous amount of fucks to give regarding any given situation.

I felt super bad for that mechanic who nailed his chin on the G-Self's cockpit though, eesh. That made me wince. :gonk:

Speaking of, how did Aida mess up that badly on her intercept course? We didn't see the Arcane get hit, did we?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Overlord K posted:

For all they knew it was a recon glider hanging around overhead and recording/reporting everything they were doing :shrug:.

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of, how did Aida mess up that badly on her intercept course? We didn't see the Arcane get hit, did we?

It's apparently been handling like crap thus far because it's a prototype.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
She was also operating based entirely on visual data obtained at basically ground level. Her radar didn't kick back in until she was already above it.

...but mostly it was the Arcane screwing up, because of course it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Mask is angry

angry about balloons

and tropical islands

• Locked thread