Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
is nexus player cancelled yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Glass Collective, which promised to pour money into Google Glass start-ups, has quietly killed its website.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/14/us-google-glass-insight-idUSKCN0IY18E20141114

:xd:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Google has hired and trained the world’s best search engineers. And so it is no surprise that some continue to trickle to fast-growing startups like Pinterest and Airbnb as well as Twitter, Facebook and even Wal-Mart Stores.

This has accelerated in recent years as the company’s own search efforts have gone through some turmoil, with new groups forming to tackle different strands of search including app search, “conversational” search as well as broader artificial intelligence.

Google has worked hard to retain much of its core search engineering talent with salary bumps, counter offers and allowing many to transition to other parts of Google, like Google X and Google Brain, an artificial intelligence group within the company. But the departures show the increasing importance of data analysis and search in everything from social media to e-commerce. (Scroll down to see the diaspora list.)

https://www.theinformation.com/The-Google-Search-Diaspora-Signals-Data-Demand

lol knew it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?indexType=s&showYear=2014

in the beginning of 2014, google spent more on lobbying than any other single corporation

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Of 16 Glass app makers contacted by Reuters, nine said that they had stopped work on their projects or abandoned them, mostly because of the lack of customers or limitations of the device. Three more have switched to developing for business, leaving behind consumer projects.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

theadder posted:

Of 16 Glass app makers contacted by Reuters, nine said that they had stopped work on their projects or abandoned them, mostly because of the lack of customers or limitations of the device. Three more have switched to developing for business, leaving behind consumer projects.

also glass trades for half its initial cost on ebay now lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
google glass is vaporWEAR :iamafag:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

pram posted:

nice

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

newreply.php posted:

also glass trades for half its initial cost on ebay now lol

so still 15 times its production cost lol

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pram posted:

Vapor Wear

"You got the Hero's New Clothes... What the...? Wow! They're really light..."
—The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

When a female character's costume doesn't include underclothes; bra, panties, or both, are noticeably AWOL. This can be more or less obvious, but still, nothing quite shows. The outer clothing may be made from a translucent material (with strategically placed lace or tape for modesty), feature a window to show off some Absolute Cleavage or Underboobs, or may be something backless, but whatever the case, the outside costume is all that the person is wearing. If she's wearing any underclothes at all, they must be made of air — or, should we say, Vapor Wear.

Of course this is often Truth in Television; perhaps as a way of being daring, flaunting convention, or just being comfortable. During the 1970's the look was even a part of mainstream fashion. And, despite what a lot of people tell you, there may actually be good reason to avoid supporting parts of the human body — see for example this preliminary study. In real life, dresses that are strapless or backless, or even deep V-necks, frequently come with some built-in support or at least padding.

Vapor Wear is the default dress code for The Vamp and the Femme Fatale, whose personality traits match up well with the ability to waste no time removing her knickers, and who (if seen in something less vampy) will specifically mention the lack of underwear, which can present even an ordinary outfit as something interesting or unusual. As such, it is frequently a significant factor in the Theiss Titillation Theory.

A similar rule applies to succubi, the female Horny Devils (with the exception of one popular succubus who tends to avert or even invert this trope).

This trope can also apply to male characters, but rarely does, because nipple nubs tend to be more socially acceptable than a certain bulge. If something should be there but isn't, it's probably thanks to Barbie Doll Anatomy (common in most forms of animation), as well as a sign you might be overthinking things.
The trope is common in Science Fiction and Fantasy, regardles of the medium. Some possible reasons for this:
    • It may feel jarring if characters in the far future, in a galaxy far, far away, wear totally mundane 21st-century underwear under their outlandish Space Clothes. Instead of inventing equally outlandish Space Underwear, it's easier just to dispense with it altogether.
    • The same reasoning applies to most fantasy settings as well, an obvious exception being Urban Fantasy. For Medieval European Fantasy it may be based on the common misapprehension that people didn't wear undergarments in medieval Europe.note
    • Between about 1915 and 1985, the trend was for people to wear less (and scantier) undergarments for each year. Extrapolating that trend into the future naturally leads to this trope.
    • And, of course, it could be a Fetish-Fuel Future, or just a justification for Fanservice.
Since the 1990's the trope is quite commonly inverted, with people wearing skimpy or see-through clothing to show off the undergarments beneath. Interestingly enough, the effect is more or less the same as playing the trope straight: titillation by showing what is not supposed to be seen.

Not to be confused with Censor Steam or Vapor Ware, nor with the similarly named Real Life clothing company that, alas, bears absolutely no relation to this trope. For a more generalized version see Going Commando (which means just not wearing underwear, without necessarily being obvious about it).

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

mods ban this sick filth

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

quote:

Why Did Google Decide To Split Inbox From Gmail?

Editor’s note: Marat Ryndin is a UX/visual designer, writer and app/tech/soccer/music junkie. He worked for Google and various startups and climbed to Everest base camp.

A couple of years ago, right around the time Google’s Gmail team decided to start working on a standalone email app — the recently announced Inbox — a major redesign of Gmail was launched. As is the case with all Google products it was first released internally as “dogfood” to let Googlers themselves digest all the new features, or as was the case with this particular redesign, the removal of most of the advanced features.

The Gmail team did not have to wait for the reaction for long. And it wasn’t very “googly.” It caused an uproar teeming with disgust for just about every decision the Gmail product/design team made. Phrases like, “You guys just completely destroyed Gmail!” and “What are these crazy designers doing over there?!” were everywhere. From being spoken at many of Google’s cafes to every internal online forum.

Google engineers, in typical OCD engineer fashion, wrote long internal Google+ and forum posts detailing every single use case that was no longer supported, no matter how obscure. Hell hath no fury like a product team removing a feature an engineer had been using on a daily basis. Add to that the decision to turn words into icons and add white space between rows and Google engineers were ready to storm the Gmail product/design team office with torches, swords and in full knight armor (you’d be surprised how many Google engineers own that stuff).

In response, the head of the Gmail design team made a presentation entitled “You Are Not the User.” If you were not lucky enough to witness the carnage in person you could view its archived version on the internal Google+.

The presentation detailed the reasons behind every decision the design/product team made showing gobs of usability data supporting the decisions to remove advanced features that the overwhelming majority of Gmail users were never using. These features, it was argued, were unnecessarily complicating the user interface when most people just wanted a simple email client.

All of the decisions revolved around the central fact that a typical Gmail user was receiving only about five emails per day, most of which were of promotional nature, and as such, required no response. This was in contrast to a typical Googler who received an average of about 450 emails per day, many of which were important to at least read, with a good chunk of them requiring a reply.

Despite supplying a large amount of concrete data supporting the Gmail design/product team’s decisions the presentation did not quell the criticism, but rather stoked the fire even more. Even its title was called “purposefully inflammatory” and further upset Googlers who, like many techies, were using every possible advanced feature to deal with the daily onslaught of email.

Finally, a compromise was reached. Gmail would stay streamlined and optimized for its gigantic user base (hundreds of millions of monthly active users) while still keeping some of the more advanced features (now well hidden) for those who really needed them.

In parallel, the Gmail team would begin working on a standalone product specifically designed from the ground up for advanced users who have to handle a firehose of incoming emails every day. And that’s how Inbox was born.

design by committee full of sperglords will ensure google's death

pram
Jun 10, 2001
great quote cremnob. good stuff

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

another thing ill never know the contents of

pram
Jun 10, 2001
read every word

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the all article image fad seems to have died

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

pram posted:

wanna know what else is vaporwear?

~*farts*~

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

webmail is by definition not advanced

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

duTrieux. posted:

in the beginning of 2014, google spent more on lobbying than any other single corporation

gently caress lobbyists

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

*shits pants, uses dirty underwear to scrawl 'don't be evil' on the wall*

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Improbable Lobster posted:

gently caress lobbyists
http://theonion.com/articles/american-people-hire-highpowered-lobbyist-to-push,18204/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lmbo

someone on slashdot posted:

Why I gave up (Score:3)
by Edward Kmett (123105) on Sunday November 16, 2014 @03:40PM (#48398069) Homepage

I bought a pair, hoping to explore using it to keep notes for my slides and help track time when I'm doing a presentation and the like.

I bought it right after Facebook did the Oculus Rift acquisition, when I canceled my dev-kit order, and I wanted a thing I could fiddle around for development purposes.

So far in exchange for my trouble, I mostly get to stop and answer questions about Google Glass several times a day when I wear them. That much isn't so bad.

Now I have a device I wear that has to maintain a constant link to my phone, draining its battery, so now I have to recharge two devices faster and I can't use it as 'more convenient' navigation without getting out my phone anyway to go to the app to turn on GPS, so its day-to-day usage is just flat-out painful.

Oh, and I have to carry an extra pair of glasses, despite having switched the Glass to prescription lenses.

Why? If I walk to work, which takes about an hour and a half, if I use the glass at all during the trip, it is typically out of juice by the end of the walk, so now I have to plug my glasses in at the office, which means I need to get out another pair so I can still see.

And I better remember to carry the case, because if I go to the movie, the MPAA will get me arrested if I forget and wear them in, but since they don't fold up, I have to choose between a huge hard case or a big bulky pouch I'm constantly worried will go crunch.

Oh, and I'd better switch to my real glasses when I drive, lest I get arrested for that, too.

Oh, and if I walk by a school I get paranoid parents who think I'm out to take candid shots of their precious children, despite having a third party lens cap on.

I've had some punk kid try to rip them off my face and run on the T, so there is an apparently increased theft risk.

Now, because they polarize the glass in the prism they use to reflect light to your eye you can't get the lenses polarized or treated with any sort of anti-glare, but if you walk around in sunlight light reflects off the bottom of the prism into your eye constantly.

There is a little bit of silver mirroring that is just deposited on the end of the prism -- not covered with anything. I went for a walk in Australia on a humid, high UV day. It just flaked off, which effectively dropped my screen to about 10% brightness. They did replace it, but it meant a few weeks without a device, during which I decided I didn't really miss the inconvenience.

So in exchange for $1700 or so (after adding prescription lenses) I get to get called a glasshole by the internet and get treated as a even evil child-stalker road-hazard pirate pariah by society, and have to carry another pair of glasses anyways.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

theadder posted:

the all article image fad seems to have died

thats only for paywalled stuff like wall street journal and financial times

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

cremnob posted:

design by committee full of sperglords will ensure google's death

the flip reading is hilarious too

everybody at google uses gmail internally, and because the web client directly integrates with every other tool in the google internal universe, alternative clients e.g. using imap aren't really viable. and of course all these employee accounts are business accounts, and the use patterns are totally different from personal accounts. e.g. like every other engineering group in the world, google engineers have dozens if not hundreds of automated systems sending them stuff constantly and are totally reliant on "advanced features" like automatic filtering / categorization that were getting not just hidden but completely removed. so these ui designers, in their well-meaning efforts to make things feel simpler for home users, were prepared to gently caress over 50,000 coworkers. and then they held a presentation to tell their coworkers, who remember are basically forced to use gmail for everything, that their opinions don't really matter because they're not real users. and then they got huffy when that somehow didn't calm things down

guess what, when you have thousands of coworkers using your product for core business activities, you are part of corporate it and you have dual responsibilities. that this apparently wasn't drilled into the product design team is an enormous failure of management

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
scroogled again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I could care less about copper posts, none of that is coming in contact with the juice and I clean my atties every day they're used anyway. My main concern is that the block on the hobo looks thin and that copper could strip out easily. I'll just go with #1 and if I end up falling in love with it I could always buy a better clone or an authentic down the road. Now the hard part is making myself NOT order like 5 le petit gros clones until I know if the clone's good, because it looks so sexy with the hobo and the sat-22 quasar origen v2 and a bunch of other atties I have.

Thanks, the site I was looking at them on (ilum supply) was using old product photos despite specifically saying they were the new cells, so I had no idea how to tell the difference. RTD/Lighthound/Illum supply are the best sites to get batteries on, and the only sites (there's maybe 1 or 2 others I'm missing) who buy their sony batteries direct from sony, so you know they aren't fakes. There's a lot of rewrapped purple efest and LG HE2 cells getting passed off as vtc5's these days, and a lot of websites b&m's etc don't even know they're selling fakes.

e: by the way the $300 carto tank and 10440 mod is hilarious. the french video of the guy wearing rubber gloves to handle his 316 stainless steel mod was also hilarious. VAPING!

Any good 28.5mm gennys worth noting? Anything out yet with a reduced chamber? All I have for my hades is a Big Gayfun, I haven't found a 28.5 dripper I like yet, but I like he mod too much to sell it.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

everybody at google uses gmail internally, and because the web client directly integrates with every other tool in the google internal universe, alternative clients e.g. using imap aren't really viable. and of course all these employee accounts are business accounts, and the use patterns are totally different from personal accounts. e.g. like every other engineering group in the world, google engineers have dozens if not hundreds of automated systems sending them stuff constantly and are totally reliant on "advanced features" like automatic filtering / categorization that were getting not just hidden but completely removed. so these ui designers, in their well-meaning efforts to make things feel simpler for home users, were prepared to gently caress over 50,000 coworkers. and then they held a presentation to tell their coworkers, who remember are basically forced to use gmail for everything, that their opinions don't really matter because they're not real users. and then they got huffy when that somehow didn't calm things down

guess what, when you have thousands of coworkers using your product for core business activities, you are part of corporate it and you have dual responsibilities. that this apparently wasn't drilled into the product design team is an enormous failure of management

gmail for business haha have they not heard about a little product called microsoft exchange?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
ive had the weirdest issues setting people up with Apps Gmails on their Mail.app for some reason

no clue what the hell is up, and i get no error messages

really weird how poo poo like this still fails to work for something so basic

also, mail.app error messages are awful, and Apple apparently don't expect anything to ever fail

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ufarn posted:

Apple apparently don't expect anything to ever fail

:)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
it just works

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FMguru posted:

lmbo

quote:

I've had some punk kid try to rip them off my face and run on the T, so there is an apparently increased theft risk.

i don't normally approve of punk kids, but that one has the right idea :thumbsup:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Jonny 290 posted:

I could care less about copper posts, none of that is coming in contact with the juice and I clean my atties every day they're used anyway. My main concern is that the block on the hobo looks thin and that copper could strip out easily. I'll just go with #1 and if I end up falling in love with it I could always buy a better clone or an authentic down the road. Now the hard part is making myself NOT order like 5 le petit gros clones until I know if the clone's good, because it looks so sexy with the hobo and the sat-22 quasar origen v2 and a bunch of other atties I have.

Thanks, the site I was looking at them on (ilum supply) was using old product photos despite specifically saying they were the new cells, so I had no idea how to tell the difference. RTD/Lighthound/Illum supply are the best sites to get batteries on, and the only sites (there's maybe 1 or 2 others I'm missing) who buy their sony batteries direct from sony, so you know they aren't fakes. There's a lot of rewrapped purple efest and LG HE2 cells getting passed off as vtc5's these days, and a lot of websites b&m's etc don't even know they're selling fakes.

e: by the way the $300 carto tank and 10440 mod is hilarious. the french video of the guy wearing rubber gloves to handle his 316 stainless steel mod was also hilarious. VAPING!

Any good 28.5mm gennys worth noting? Anything out yet with a reduced chamber? All I have for my hades is a Big Gayfun, I haven't found a 28.5 dripper I like yet, but I like he mod too much to sell it.

what

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rjmccall posted:

dogfooding a home user product on the engineering groups is just a dumb idea. the design team saying that they aren't the target audience should have set off a million alarms in google's gmail for business/education groups too.

e-cig people are the worst.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shifty Pony posted:

dogfooding a home user product on the engineering groups is just a dumb idea. the design team saying that they aren't the target audience should have set off a million alarms in google's gmail for business/education groups too.

google apps is bad, but office 365 is worse.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shifty Pony posted:

dogfooding a home user product on the engineering groups is just a dumb idea.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Thanks Ants posted:

google apps is bad, but office 365 is worse.

nope

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ufarn posted:

also, mail.app error messages are awful, and Apple apparently don't expect anything to ever fail
thats an ancient apple tradition, dating back to old b&w macs showing you a bomb and a negative number whenever they failed

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

gmail was also originally an internal-only thing somebody wrote in 20% time

so of course it must be adapted for users that it wasn't intended for and isn't popular with at the expense of its original users, that's the google way

chrome was a good browser and now it's a lovely browser and a lovely operating system

google was a good search engine and now it's a ad platform (inherently lovely) and a lovely search engine

reader was a good rss reader and now it's gone and replaced with a lovely social network

android was a blackberry knockoff and now it's a lovely iphone knockoff

betting that chromecast goes from a good way to put a youtube on your tv to being bad in some new and exciting way if it goes anywhere at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

theyve also fragmented their sms/chat app lol

• Locked thread