Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Yodzilla posted:

Really? Guess it's just been a while since I touched Wrath of the Lamb.

You actually were invulnerable when flying through curse doors in WotL when it was initially released. But they later patched the health loss on the way out in as far as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cuntpunch posted:

One other dumb question I've been meaning to ask: Whore of Babylon - is its effect based on RED hearts or TOTAL hearts? If you pick it up with ??? do you get a permanent effect, for instance, or even if you pick it up with another character who has transitioned solely to soul/sin hearts, is it worth it, or is it really only a low-health danger item?

Red hearts. I actually just picked it up in a blue baby run, and it's constantly activated.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
There was some discussion on ???'s attempts to teleport on top of you a couple pages back. I find the most effective way to dodge that is actually to stop moving entirely because in my experience he's actually trying to teleport where you're likely going to be. Most of the time in this game "keep moving" is a good plan for avoiding attacks so it makes sense that there would be one where you need to twitch to stop moving instead.

I don't have anything but anecdotal evidence there but every single time I stop moving in response to the teleport I don't get hit.

Runcible Spoon
Sep 20, 2012
So two things. First, does defeating Mega Satan count as a Chest clear for purposes of unlocks, because I have the most unholy bonkers build here.

Second, I'm saving that Azazel seed for your pleasure. By the end of the Chest, I was firing orbiting slowing homing quad-beam Tammy's Head brimstone bursts, with BFF Smart Fly, Distant Admiration, a Bandage Ball, Trinity Shield, and a Dark Bum. I am eagerly awaiting a boss fight with childlike glee.

EDIT: Just in case the screenshot breaks for whatever reason, it's:
B3DA
X77S

Runcible Spoon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 15, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

IGgy IGsen posted:

You actually were invulnerable when flying through curse doors in WotL when it was initially released. But they later patched the health loss on the way out in as far as I recall.

Oh so I wasn't nuts. Nice.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
You need to beat ???, but you can go kill Mega Satan afterwards if you want since the clear counts when you beat the boss and not when you touch the chest. I am like 80% sure about that.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
This is Tech 1, piss tears, and square wave worm:

It looked really cool in motion, each shot would slowly change from a straight line to more and more curvy (squarey) and back again. The pulsing light of each shot messed with my eyes, though. Then I hit a curse of darkness floor and it was :pcgaming:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
About that whole Soy Milk thing, it's probably best when you have a status effect on the run. Fear, charm, freezing, it all works really well with it. Maybe not really poison but still better than with normal tears.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
So I start a Lazarus run get the Mitre in the first treasure room only to promptly lose both my lives to some cellar bullshit and the Haunt. I start again and not only is the Mitre sitting there again, but loving dark bum and whore of babylon in the first devil room. I like to think it's the game's way of apologising for the first aborted run. Later on I traded a total on nine soul hearts for three devil deals in one room, it was insane.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

Like, if you have the dice and get soymilk and then roll everything else for damage I guess it'd be okay, but getting soymilk without any damage upgrades afterwards basically ends up with you failing to kill the duke of flies because you can't kill his flies before they kill you.

On the head trauma challenge I had soy milk, tiny planet, death's touch, blood clot, iron bar, lump of coal, dark matter and my reflection. I was surrounded by a massive swarm of scythes that could 1 or 2 shot bosses. So if you have those other items soy milk is good, maybe pick it up then.

AHungryRobot posted:

even with pyromania kamikaze is really underwhelming. subpar damage and practically no range.

The point of that combo isn't offense, it's becoming virtually unkillable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Does it run over the 12-heart limit? I could see it being really good if that's the case.
You have to hold the paw to make it work but yeah, basically. Each time you lose a red heart you can convert it for three soul hearts, so you basically get +3 health for each heart container you had going in.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Just killed Isaac for the first time. I gotta say, this game is a lot easier than Wrath of the Lamb. Harder than base Isaac, but Rebirth Necropolis is a cakewalk compared to WotL Necropolis.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Turns out that Dr. Fetus + Ipecac + Infestation 2 generates spiders that do full bomb damage to everything they hit. Both Isaac and Blue Baby died in about half a second without ever entering phase two as soon as I entered the room.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just did the Pitch Black challenge, got Ipecac early and was breezing through it then accidentally got Tiny Planet. God drat is that a lovely item or what. I would have been so pissed if I didn't have familiars to carry me through the rest of the way and it's a challenge that ends at Mom. I love Ipecac but gently caress that was close.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Blank Card cannot copy pills. At least, it won't copy 48 Hour Energy.

I wanted to flood the room with batteries :saddowns:

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

13/f/cali posted:

There was some discussion on ???'s attempts to teleport on top of you a couple pages back. I find the most effective way to dodge that is actually to stop moving entirely because in my experience he's actually trying to teleport where you're likely going to be. Most of the time in this game "keep moving" is a good plan for avoiding attacks so it makes sense that there would be one where you need to twitch to stop moving instead.

I don't have anything but anecdotal evidence there but every single time I stop moving in response to the teleport I don't get hit.

I just fought him again and it definitely looks like this is the case. Thanks!

...and then the Broken Watch decided to speed up the Mega Satan fight, that was pretty fun. I managed to win with one heart to spare.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So shielded tears seems to remove the "holy poo poo explosions!" effect from flaming tears. So you get all the bonuses from the damage up and DOT, but you lose the ability to explode enemies in your face (and the ability to leave flames for bosses to hilariously kill themselves on).

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Magres posted:

E: Just found a really scummy trick with Holy Mantle. Any time you get hit and lose your Mantle protection, save and quit and hit continue. You'll start the room over with Mantle refreshed.

oh wow lol

Congratulations on discovering the easiest method to do The Lost and no-hit achievements.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

oh wow lol

Congratulations on discovering the easiest method to do The Lost and no-hit achievements.

Except The Lost dies if you try and continue a run in progress with him since the game considers him dead due to having no hearts.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The Infested Baby familiar just carried me through Suicide King. Him, plus Large Flies + Spiders 2 shotted Issac.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I just got IPECAC + Infestation 2 and the spiders were doing truly absurd amounts of damage. High damage shots and insect generators go great together.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I just got IPECAC + Infestation 2 and the spiders were doing truly absurd amounts of damage. High damage shots and insect generators go great together.

Infestation 2 is amazing. Honestly anything that gives you attack spiders/flies (besides maybe normal Infestation) is amazing.

Also, the secret to the Isaac fight: shielded tears and corners. I just beat him going into the fight with piss all health (well, maybe not THAT low, I had the wafer), piss all damage and all my spiders and flies gone from deciding that I was NOT fighting Death in a 2x2 room with skulls flying about. In the third and second stage I would push Isaac to the center (since he follows you) and then run to the corner when he fired.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

I just did the Pitch Black challenge, got Ipecac early and was breezing through it then accidentally got Tiny Planet. God drat is that a lovely item or what. I would have been so pissed if I didn't have familiars to carry me through the rest of the way and it's a challenge that ends at Mom. I love Ipecac but gently caress that was close.

Tiny Planet kind of works with Technology, since you get to keep the laser but you get orbiting regular tears as well (or at least you do when you have the 3 Dollar Bill). Though it's not perfect, the laser still does one rotation around you and it you back into a wall the beam will be cut off and you can't hit anything.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
goddammit I forget to use the prayer card before I go down to the next level every single loving time.

Something to make 'Head Trauma' a little easier: buy a red candle for a reliable directional attack.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I see Crack The Sky is still completely loving worthless.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
For some odd reason I seem to be better at the Vita version than the PS4 one. On the PS4 I struggle to even get to Mom's heart (so far, just one win and that's with Lazarus). On Vita, I just unlocked Everything is Terrible.

Maybe I'm not supposed to understand.

Also, count me in the "gently caress Tiny Planet" crowd.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

Except The Lost dies if you try and continue a run in progress with him since the game considers him dead due to having no hearts.

That does not actually seem to be true anymore. I remember this definitely being true when I tried to pull the Infinite Curse Room bug with The Lost and summarily died for some mysterious reason.

but I tried to quit and continue just now and it worked just fine. Can't actually do the infinite curse room bug anymore mind you but still.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I'm pretty sure it's actually even more worthless, I remember it tossing more beams around before and actually doing a reasonable amount of damage on the occasions it connected in WotL

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

It's even more worthless in big rooms where it doesn't scale up and hits only the very center.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is bomb damage with Dr. Fetus tied to your regular damage stat?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shoop Da Whoop also seems really bad now. It barely scratches bosses.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Shoop Da Whoop also seems really bad now. It barely scratches bosses.

I actually like it, if you get it with a 9 Volt or the AAA Battery trinket it charges every room and trivializes a lot of stuff. It's not a good anti-boss item but it does enough damage to smash most regular enemies. I have a feeling its damage scales with your damage.

Now I really just want the 9 Volt, the AAA Battery, and Krampus' Head. Being able to Krampus every room is basically godmode

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why go through all that when you can just pick up Tammy's Head, either as Azazel or with Brimstone. Add 9 Volt if you want to nuke everything in the boss rush with it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I just lost a hard mode Azazel run because of freaking Mom's Toenail. One more Brimstone shot would have taken down the Lamb and I got freaking momstomped twice during the fight :suicide:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yodzilla posted:

Crack the sky is like one level above the poop as an activatable item. I'm surprised they didn't buff it since now Lemon Mishap isn't complete garbage and Kamikaze or w/e the suicide vest is called can at least be situationally useful with Pyromaniac.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Man everyone's saying this game's so much easier and yet I've been having downright atrocious luck at it compared to original Isaac. Probably because I'm used to having way more room to exploit invincibility frames and classic Cain.

Closest I've had to getting my old main's power back is HoB-mode Eve, and she dies in literally one hit with the drought of soul hearts I've been getting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow tiny planet is such a horrid item. I know it can be bonkers if you pick it up with a bunch of tear upgrade but with base tears its just so goddamn slow.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

just tried this and that did not happen. game continued like normal.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

Crack the sky is like one level above the poop as an activatable item. I'm surprised they didn't buff it since now Lemon Mishap isn't complete garbage and Kamikaze or w/e the suicide vest is called can at least be situationally useful with Pyromaniac.

I never got the Kamikaze hate. There have been many situations where I would trade a heart for a bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

I think I'd actually go with the poop, if you have bombs you can use it as a ladder