Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

indigoe posted:

What's wrong with Symantec Endpoint? We use that here (and probably stuck with it too). Should I be looking into something else?

Nothing's too wrong with it, it's just a waste of money. The firewall interferes with applications and we have the Cisco ASAs doing a better job at that. Windows Defender is free and catches about as many viruses. There are workarounds to get Windows Defender to report virus incidents to admins. The worst thing is that there's no way to clone a machine and have the new one activate SEP, you have to uninstall and reinstall the application manually for it to properly pull a license.

Plus, I just figured out how to use publisher certificates in my software whitelist so I'm probably going to go that route on top of Windows Defender.

Symantec is refusing to refund me even partially, but they did give me a form to legally transfer the licenses to another company so if you wanna buy them I'll save you a few thousand off retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

CaptainJuan posted:

Can I get away with that? Like, will the actual hiring manager not immediately disqualify me for providing false info? Well, that probably depends on the company. Thanks.

Even if they do, you would have gotten further than when you admitted to "I don't know anything about computers" - which is what that tickbox always boils down to.

Besides:

quote:

"install windows, boot into safe mode to scan for viruses or fix driver issues, swap hard drives/RAM, simple stuff really."

Sounds like experience to me! Remember that the majority of users have NO clue about how their computer works, or even how to think independently when it comes to problems. They just throw their hands up and scream for IT. If you're eager to learn and you're a "power user", you should be able to get an entry level job if you impress in the interview. There's another chap in here I've given advice to but it basically boils down to customer service being just as important as solving the problems, and being eager to learn.

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 14, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

bpower posted:

Good advice for entry level interviews. If they ask you what would you do when you hit a new problem, make sure you mention that you seem to have a knack for quickly finding the answer for problems on the net, you know what to search for and you know all the best forums etc. If you mention a forum or site a get a "Yeah, thats handy, I use that too" you're golden.

When I run into a problem I usually go to the something awful forums and ask for any tips
:goonsay:

But seriously, 90% of troubleshooting is google-fu

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

When I run into a problem I usually go to the something awful forums and ask for any tips
:goonsay:

I'd be equally shocked and disturbed to discover that the person interviewing me is asking if I had stairs in my house.

"Yeah SH/SC is where I go too"

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
In WSUS is there a way to patch and reboot systems in waves, so not all of my systems are going down at the same time?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chalets the Baka posted:

In WSUS is there a way to patch and reboot systems in waves, so not all of my systems are going down at the same time?

There is a random delay set to each client which you an modify in group policy, not actually in wsus.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
There's a delayed restart setting in GPO, but seemingly nothing that I can apply to individual computer groups in WSUS.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
God drat it

Recruiter: We've got a great position that is exactly what you're looking for
Me: This IS exactly what I'm looking for! I'd like to avoid any temp to hire, please
Recruiter: Of course. This is not temp to hire. We just pay you at first while we transition you to the primary

*At interview*

Manager: What the hell are they telling you? This is temp to hire.
Me: :geno:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Sacred Cow posted:

Recruiter: Of course. This is not temp to hire. We just pay you at first while we transition you to the primary

Hahaha, this IS the definition of contract to hire.

Seriously though, I'll spare you my entire speech on why CtH is a benefit to you too, but in most cases it generally carries plenty of advantages for you. As long as you go in and do the work they need you to do, it's pretty rare that people don't get converted. It's happened I think once to one of my people in 3.5 yrs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dark Helmut posted:

Hahaha, this IS the definition of contract to hire.

Seriously though, I'll spare you my entire speech on why CtH is a benefit to you too, but in most cases it generally carries plenty of advantages for you. As long as you go in and do the work they need you to do, it's pretty rare that people don't get converted. It's happened I think once to one of my people in 3.5 yrs.
CtH might have benefits in at-will libertopias like New York, but the benefits are much murkier in states like California where employees are actually granted rights under the law.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Contract to fire

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Chalets the Baka posted:

There's a delayed restart setting in GPO, but seemingly nothing that I can apply to individual computer groups in WSUS.

Create subgroups in WSUS off of a main update group, each to correspond to a time you want the computers to apply the updates. For example, you have a group "Contoso Computers" then subgroups "Contoso Computers\Monday", "Contoso Computers\Tuesday", and so on. Then create GPOs for each time\subgroup, constrain them by group or OU or however you want to do it, and assign the computers to the update subgroups using the format "Contoso Computers;Monday", and set the times in the GPOs. When you go to approve updates, approve them to the main computer group ("Contoso Computers") and the subgroups will inherit the approvals.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I was hoping I didn't have to go the route of adding a bunch of GPOs, but oh well. Thank you for the help.

Security-related question: In all of my IT jobs I've held, I'm regularly put in a position where I'm told to ask a user for their credentials to get into their computer or do something with their machine/account, and it makes me very uncomfortable. What do organizations do to get to the point where "We will never ask you for your password" is true for all cases? Is there anything I can do to change things?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Man some recruiters have bad timing. A week after I signed for :yotj:, I get recruiter from Google poking me.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

luminalflux posted:

Man some recruiters have bad timing. A week after I signed for :yotj:, I get recruiter from Google poking me.

Are you sure they didn't circle you? Or was it actually Facebook :haw:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dark Helmut posted:

It's a plus on all sides. If they don't like you, they didn't have to waste time with hiring you direct and firing you under the probationary period and all the bookwork that goes along with it. If you end up not liking it, or you get a better offer from someone else, you can generally just go somewhere else with no hard feelings. The industry has a lot of movement, and cth is very common.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

There is a random delay set to each client which you an modify in group policy, not actually in wsus.

Can't you just section out how WSUS updates clients? Then again this assumes you are doing a proper OU/AD/WSUS infrastructure.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Are you sure they didn't circle you? Or was it actually Facebook :haw:

It was linkedin, I am not yet a google employee so I don't use Google Plus.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So Evol and Dr. Arbitrary

Can do 1 more before I switch to "the Keg"; if we do 6 or more, I will do the keg because I think it's easier to keep under 500-750.

Also anyone in Charleston SC, the night of the 21st? I'll buy for 2.

I love it when my Sr. Director says "You worked enough why are you still here?"

I love my job.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 15, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
You are literally retarded.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

stubblyhead posted:

You are literally retarded.

Nope just wish to burn some money!

Money is so boring to deal with...

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Nope just wish to burn some money!

Money is so boring to deal with...

#firstworldproblems

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

#firstworldproblems

Happens when you just fight for what you want and way/may not listen to SA.

Just fight for what you want and do the best you do!

You hit <25 and make what I do, and wow... it's okay I guess...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 15, 2014

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Looks like the start of an entertaining night..

mewse
May 2, 2006

:siren: ABANDON THREAD :siren:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CloFan posted:

Looks like the start of an entertaining night..

Nah I just responded, where I shouldn't have responded. I should have dropped it and not responded; my apologizes. I was just trying to meet with some IT goons.

However if you all want to go all full "it's happening", and freak out and poo poo then feel free but holy poo poo do you all not have something better to do?

Then again if you want to over speculate feel free to make something over than what it is....

Feel free to make something out of nothing.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 15, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Happens when you just fight for what you want and way/may not listen to SA.

Just fight for what you want and do the best you do!

You hit <25 and make what I do, and wow... it's okay I guess...

B-b-but...it's not Saturday night...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

B-b-but...it's not Saturday night...

Do you honestly expect this or for people to realize SA isn't all there is and to take control?

Seriously, what do you expect from at 24 year old whom makes way more than double his age and goes into VCDX/EMCISC/CCNA-DC decisions daily? It like IDK study hard as gently caress and not post as much because making more money< some internet poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do you honestly expect this or for people to realize SA isn't all there is and to take control?

Seriously, what do you expect from at 24 year old whom makes way more than double his age and goes into VCDX/EMCISC/CCNA-DC decisions daily?

I'm quoting this in case you delete it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm quoting this in case you delete it.

why would I delete it? Just making money owns! Why don't more people do it?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Seriously, what do you expect from at 24 year old whom makes way more than double his age and goes into VCDX/EMCISC/CCNA-DC decisions daily? It like IDK study hard as gently caress and not post as much because making more money< some internet poo poo.

You're the hero SA needs.

e: can we also do a countdown in the OP of how many days it goes without a dilbert as gently caress breakdown. I'd like to start tracking the data.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I hope someday you realize what your senior director said wasn't a compliment.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

stubblyhead posted:

I hope someday you realize what your senior director said wasn't a compliment.

When my offer go <95k I might care, but holy poo poo can we get back on topic?

focus on helping people I am done!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 15, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

So Evol and Dr. Arbitrary

Can do 1 more before I switch to "the Keg"; if we do 6 or more, I will do the keg because I think it's easier to keep under 500-750.

Also anyone in Charleston SC, the night of the 21st? I'll buy for 2.

I love it when my Sr. Director says "You worked enough why are you still here?"

I love my job.

DAF posted:

When my offer go <95k I might care, but holy poo poo can we get back on topic?

I loving love you

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

I loving love you

Who the gently caress cares about <6figs USD

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Who the gently caress cares about <6figs USD

I really loving love you. You're just the best ever. Can I offer you my sister?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What the hell is going on?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

I added someone to my ignore list for the first time in 10 years because I'm tired of this poo poo

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

I responded longer than I should have....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

DAF is posting.