Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I had my first entrance into a level that was being overrun with miasma or whatever. I was wondering what it meant when they kept saying "So-and-so, lover of chaos, has appeared!" It also caused me to get my rear end kicked because the miasma was over 100 and then I got one-shotted by a peon at max stats. So that was fun!

I unfortunately didn't think to use that trick that I'd heard about, though I'm not sure why everyone mentions Ayane's name. Also I found out that Alacrity and Bombast aren't even really necessary. I was using Susano'o, hit circle, and his weapon had Osmosis + 10. Combined with Thrift from Mitsuhide, it meant his gauge was barely going down, and every charge attack I did restored my Musou to full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
While it's mostly manageable to have a lengthy musou with Osmosis, Bombast makes it easy because every 500 hits, your musou bar maxes out and stays there for ten extra seconds. So rather than you having to having to charge attack, Bombast + a high combo musou (like Ayane) means lots more time to run around getting chests and hunting down officers or materials. As well, Ayane and a few others have Thrift, which "lessen the amount of musou used", which translates into longer musou. It's easy to find something that works but they tend to default to Samurai-types with long, multi-hitting musou attacks. For example no one mentions Tamamo but she's my favorite. So yeah, whatever works for you, because it all comes out to the same ending: breaking Gauntlet mode.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I recruited another generic with an unique model, tsuru. Her story is pretty badass

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Morter posted:

For example no one mentions Tamamo but she's my favorite.

Tamamo is great because she gets huge combos, but I think the reason no one mentions her is that it seems to take a couple of seconds for her Musou animation to end so that she can start attacking, and that's a little bit of a time waster.

Did another stage that had a red title and thus was altered by the miasma, the game seems to imply that you get better treasure if you go into a stage like that but all the treasures seemed the same to me. The only difference was that I got some big star weapons at the end of the stage, rather than just regular ones...but since all my characters already have either their five star or a regular weapon with plus 99 or so, that isn't really that great.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there anything specific you're having trouble with? A lot of things can be safely ignored as long as you're constantly poking the right person with your sword, bow or bowsword, Warriors games are incredibly simple games dressed up with complex stuff and menus that hide away useful information.

Sorry for no reply, it's all good. I just kinda played it more and it's starting to make sense, it's a total blast

What I would like to know is a bit more about the PS4-available series

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL:CE
Samurai Warriors 4
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate

How do they differ in terms of gameplay, and which ones do people like the most? My understanding is that they're all PS3-gen titles... what other titles are on the horizon?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

o.m. 94 posted:

What I would like to know is a bit more about the PS4-available series

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL:CE
Samurai Warriors 4
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate

How do they differ in terms of gameplay, and which ones do people like the most? My understanding is that they're all PS3-gen titles... what other titles are on the horizon?

DW8XLCE is the oldest of the three. It includes both the original DW8 and its expansion, and as such has the most characters and stages. It has five story modes, and uses a "free" moveset system - that is, you can give any weapon to any character (in fact, you pick two and can switch between them at will), though each character has one weapon as their default, which gives them an expanded moveset.

SW4 has more stories, though most of them are significantly shorter than those in DW8. There aren't as many characters as in DW8, and each character only has one weapon, but movesets tend to be a bit more varied, with some characters having longer attack strings or better charge attacks. Characters also get special abilities, which can be anything from buffs to unique attacks. The biggest change to the overall formula is probably the Hyper Attack system, which lets you execute mobile, wide-area attacks to take out lots of mooks at once. It also has a pretty good system for creating your own characters, who can be given any of five unique weapons or, in time, the weapons of other officers.

WO3U is a hybrid of DW7 and SW3, combining the two while adding more than a few of its own additions. It's quite different from the other two, asking you to put together a team of three character and allowing you to switch between them as you play. The inactive characters regenerate health and musou, but those things are also in shorter supply overall, with Musou not otherwise restored except by items and health dropping very rapidly when you're attacked. The game has only on story mode, but it's extremely robust, and it has a huge number of characters.

If you're not acquainted with either series, DW8XLCE and SW4 are both excellent starting points; SW4 is the best game in its series and DW8 is a contender for the same. If you know both series, WO3U is a good pick, as it's an excellent game, possibly the best in the franchise. But it's also designed as fanservice for Warriors players, so you might be a bit lost regarding who's who.

Coming up early next your is DW8: Empires, which takes DW8's gameplay and puts it in a light strategy game, tasking you with deciding how to conquer China. We can probably expect SW4's Xtreme Legends expansion sometime next year as well, though I don't think it's been announced yet.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fwiw out of dw8 and sw4, sw4 has the better graphics and feels more modern in its gameplay. I like em both. DW8 however is also on pc so you could just wait for sale with that, while SW4 only has playstation action going for it so it might be better if you're looking for a ps4 title specifically.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maleketh posted:

DW8XLCE is the oldest of the three.

Not really true, WO3 has been out for almost three years now, Koei just keep giving it a spit and polish and re-releasing it with new bits every year, which is why it probably has the most content out of the three.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Great breakdown, thankyou all

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Other than DW8 Empires the only PS4 Warriors titles on the horizon are Pirate Warriors 3 and Dragon Quest Heroes. The former is based on popular anime series One Piece, PW2 was pretty good, after a false start with the first game, and hopefully that will continue the trend, the later is obviously based on the famous JRPG series and is an unknown quantity. First licensed Warriors spin-off's tend to be pretty bad but Hyrule Warriors proves they can do it first time if they try, though that might have more to do with Nintendo quality control.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Sakurazuka posted:

Not really true, WO3 has been out for almost three years now, Koei just keep giving it a spit and polish and re-releasing it with new bits every year, which is why it probably has the most content out of the three.

Out of all 3 of em too it feels packed with the most raw content. I would not recommend an Orochi title however until both a recent DW and SW title were thoroughly played.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

This is true, and I've played enough WO3 on my 360 that I shouldn't have made that mistake.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

relevant: dw8 is on sale on the euro store for 35 euro now

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

5er posted:

Out of all 3 of em too it feels packed with the most raw content. I would not recommend an Orochi title however until both a recent DW and SW title were thoroughly played.

I don't know. The only Dynasty Warriors game I've really played is WO3 and maybe I'm not getting as much out of it as I could, the fact that its so packed with content means I've only scratched the surface (chapter 3 in story mode?) but still feel like I've already gotten my moneys worth. I've admittedly set it down for a bit now though, which maybe I wouldn't have if I was more connected to the story or characters.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Am I right in thinking that I don't necessarily have to achieve any objectives except the main win / lose conditions for the map (SW4)? Cause sometimes I just want to run around killin poo poo without time pressure

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

You're right but it'll also make the rest of the battle harder for you and your army.

Also if you just want to run around and kill poo poo? Chronicle Mode.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

o.m. 94 posted:

Am I right in thinking that I don't necessarily have to achieve any objectives except the main win / lose conditions for the map (SW4)? Cause sometimes I just want to run around killin poo poo without time pressure

It'll make it harder if you don't also I'm pretty sure that objectives are sometimes required in order to open gates to get to the guy you have to kill to win.

It's not as strict as earlier games though, in SW2 you were pretty hosed as soon as you missed like two or three objectives, which was way easier to do.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

I don't know. The only Dynasty Warriors game I've really played is WO3 and maybe I'm not getting as much out of it as I could, the fact that its so packed with content means I've only scratched the surface (chapter 3 in story mode?) but still feel like I've already gotten my moneys worth. I've admittedly set it down for a bit now though, which maybe I wouldn't have if I was more connected to the story or characters.

WO3 is a big ol' heap of fanservice and while it's a perfectly fine game on its own you're not wrong that you might be enjoying it more if you were already familiar with the characters. A big part of it is how the characters interact with the ones from the other franchises, as well as how they react differently to each other in Orochi's world. I know that I played WO3 before I played DW7, so I knew very little about the Jin characters, so their bonds with the other characters didn't really interest me much even if I should have found them interesting (like Zhuge Dan chatting with Zhuge Liang, or Xiahou Ba hanging out with his father).

I also decided to buy the Gauntlet Mode DLC last night, because why not. Went into Anegawa and it said "It's easier to find scrolls!" Every peon I killed gave me an Exp + 150 item, and enemy officers would either drop two scrolls or a scroll plus an item. I wonder if the other DLC stages have interesting stuff like that. The one lousy thing is that the DLC stages don't have any famous officers (outside of Otherworld invaders), but they all have 8 different troop types, so they're good for getting a lot of the "Repel x" requests.

Also, gently caress wolves. I am so sick of getting frozen by their attacks and then flung around.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I wish Zhuge Dan got more time in DW8. I honestly find him pretty endearing, despite his being portrayed as a blowhard.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Managed to get a character up to 400 speed last night with some playing around. That seems to be the absolute maximum number. You get it by promoting a character at least 4 times so their max speed raises from 180 to 200, and use upgrade stones to get it there. Equip a level 20 Charm of Alacrity, level 20 Fleet Mail, and level 20 Messenger Mail. On top of that, make sure you have an S-ranked character type ability (Speed, Power, Technique, Wonder) in the party.

The unfortunate thing is that 400 speed doesn't seem that much faster than 200. I'm not sure if 200 is the limit and the items only make it seem like you can go above that, or if speed increases become fractional or something past 200 so that it's only slightly faster. Either way, 400 speed just isn't really worth it since if you use that setup, you're limited to 799 attack/defense unless you also equip level 20 Lion Fangs/Chimera Shells to get it back up to 999, and that's five of your six item slots that could be used for better things.

The DLC Gauntlet stages are almost cheating, went into one that said "Sworn Allies are waiting in treasure chests!" and it seems like every sworn ally item I got was someone I hadn't gotten yet, since the number of characters I had was pretty huge, it seems like they're deliberately programmed to only have ones you haven't gotten yet in them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

The DLC Gauntlet stages are almost cheating, went into one that said "Sworn Allies are waiting in treasure chests!" and it seems like every sworn ally item I got was someone I hadn't gotten yet, since the number of characters I had was pretty huge, it seems like they're deliberately programmed to only have ones you haven't gotten yet in them.

You have entered the world of Pay-to-win, even in a single player game. Congratulations.

Edit: vvv Twelve by Pies bought the DLC. I would probably buy it too, but I have no luck finding it in the PS3's PSN stores :(

Morter fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 15, 2014

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Morter posted:

You have entered the world of Pay-to-win, even in a single player game. Congratulations.

I got that stage free for preordering the game. :)

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
So I got OW3:U for the vita a while back and have been enjoying it so far-- aside from the look of terror I get when there's water on screen since vita can't seem to handle it-- and I just hit chapter 3 last night. I do have two quick questions though;

How do you unlock EX attacks for characters that have them but don't have them unlocked? I'm getting mixed comments about proficiency vs pure levels when I look around online so having that cleared up would help. And can you not bring your story characters into gauntlet mode? I wanted to try it out the other night but it only let me pick from a bunch of characters I haven't seen in the story mode yet.

Also Zhou Tai is awesome and my favorite character to play as so far.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Ex attacks are unlocked when you reach the attacks charge on the attack tree, so yes it's purely levels for anyone who's Ex isn't attached to C1-C4, otherwise they already have it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm pretty sure every attack a character has is unlocked by level 20 or 21. So work towards that.

Also the gauntlet mode characters--while they use the same stats as the free mode/story mode characters, are unlocked in Gauntlet mode via a separate criteria: by defeating them in the dungeons and hoping they drop "Sworn Ally" items.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Everyone has their entire moveset by level 20, so yeah for the ones whose EX Attack is off their C6, you need to level them up to that to get it. Proficiency doesn't affect movesets at all, it's purely level. The only things proficiency does (besides the obvious boost to the character's skill) is that when you reach S rank, you unlock the character's final wallpaper in the gallery, and (for some characters) get their gold card for Duel Mode.

I've heard that when you start Gauntlet Mode you can choose five characters from any of the ones you've unlocked in Story Mode when you first start. I'm too far into Gauntlet to do a new game so I don't know if that's true or not though, it just seemed like it gave me five random guys. But yes to unlock more characters in Gauntlet, you have to beat them in a level, and if they drop a small green dot (not actually a dot but don't know the term for it) then that's the "Sworn Ally with [character]" item. If you beat the level after getting that, then go and talk to the Mystic woman and choose "Summon Officer" and you'll unlock any character you have the sworn ally item from.

You have a very high chance of getting a sworn ally item the first time you beat a famous officer in a stage, and a decent chance of getting a sworn ally item from the first group of Otherworld invaders that shows up (yeah, Otherworld invaders can drop sworn ally items too). The second group of Otherworlders usually only drops their personal item or orbs, though rarely drop a sworn ally, and the third group and beyond almost always drop orbs or weapons, rarely a personal item, and I've personally never seen the third group ever drop a sworn ally item. Also once the miasma gets up over 50 or so the odds of getting a sworn ally item from an officer seem to drop pretty low, they usually start dropping personal items or orbs at that point.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Is the consensus that SW4 is still OK and full of good times on the PS3? I've never played a SW game and really dig some of the characters from my time spent in WO3U (xbone) and I don't have a PS4 yet. Is it mainly just less dense packs of peons and a little less sharpness to the graphics, but otherwise the exact same game?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

pvax posted:

Is the consensus that SW4 is still OK and full of good times on the PS3? I've never played a SW game and really dig some of the characters from my time spent in WO3U (xbone) and I don't have a PS4 yet. Is it mainly just less dense packs of peons and a little less sharpness to the graphics, but otherwise the exact same game?

Ive been playing it on PS3 and it's fine. The amount of dudes on one screen isn't as many as you would hope, but it looks and plays just fine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SW 4 has a bit more graphical polish than the other PS3 -> 4 ports but other than a few more people on screen you're not really missing out on anything and it's good game, if a bit easy.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Thanks for clearing up the EX attack/gauntlet questions! That'll make playing some characters more fun now that I know they just need levels. :)

On an entirely different end of the spectrum, is the latest DW:Gundam any good? Reborn, I think it is? I've been craving to play a Gundam one again but 2 and 3 aren't for sale on the PSN, so was wondering if the newest is worth it or if I should just grab 3 for cheap.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It'd be cool if DW8 Empires let you customize/upgrade your basic troops. In general, I think it'd be a neat touch if the different kingdoms' grunts looked different or had different equipment. It might not be historically accurate (lol) and might change their ability to switch factions mid-mission a little, but I'm sure there's a way around that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I agree it'd be cool, but I don't think it'd be a good use of system resources; I'll bet that the universal models do a lot to cut down engine load and let them put more enemies on screen, which is one of the series' major selling points.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Twelve by Pies posted:

Managed to get a character up to 400 speed last night with some playing around. That seems to be the absolute maximum number. You get it by promoting a character at least 4 times so their max speed raises from 180 to 200, and use upgrade stones to get it there. Equip a level 20 Charm of Alacrity, level 20 Fleet Mail, and level 20 Messenger Mail. On top of that, make sure you have an S-ranked character type ability (Speed, Power, Technique, Wonder) in the party.

The unfortunate thing is that 400 speed doesn't seem that much faster than 200. I'm not sure if 200 is the limit and the items only make it seem like you can go above that, or if speed increases become fractional or something past 200 so that it's only slightly faster. Either way, 400 speed just isn't really worth it since if you use that setup, you're limited to 799 attack/defense unless you also equip level 20 Lion Fangs/Chimera Shells to get it back up to 999, and that's five of your six item slots that could be used for better things.

There's a difference the higher you get with speed, with movement. Not sure if Speed is supposed to affect anything else.

There's a level, Tong Gate, I think, where Lu Bu shows up and gets his poo poo pushed in by Nezha right at the start. If you ride along the bottom where all the boats are, you'll just clear the boats on Red Hare before Nezha pops Lu Bu. On a character with Alacrity Charm/Fleet Mail/Messenger Mail I can make it to where Nezha is before all the scripted stuff finishes.

Also, if I switch to my character in a full speed setup in Gauntlet mode, the other characters have a hard time keeping up, despite having 200 speed.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Keeshhound posted:

I agree it'd be cool, but I don't think it'd be a good use of system resources; I'll bet that the universal models do a lot to cut down engine load and let them put more enemies on screen, which is one of the series' major selling points.

Feh. They've HAD troop variety in the past. They should have it now. At the very least the Lady Guards should exist again. And it's not like they're unwilling to have different models, given the 'change troop appearance' DLC for 8.

In the data for the game, there's something like 20 different brands of the the basic troops, not counting things like the Sorcerers or Archers.

When the Nanman troops aren't tanned, there's an issue.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Perdido posted:

There's a difference the higher you get with speed, with movement. Not sure if Speed is supposed to affect anything else.

Yeah I know that Speed refers to movement speed, I'm just saying it seems like beyond a certain point boosting speed just doesn't seem worth it. Like all my Gauntlet mode characters right now have maxed speed plus the Charm of Alacrity and Messenger Mail, both level 20. But the increase from adding Fleet Mail doesn't seem worth it to give up that item slot that I could be better using for something more useful. The extra 20 points or whatever aren't THAT much faster that it's worth losing that slot, is what I'm saying.

But it is cool to get confirmation that you're definitely faster than Red Hare if you're using items to raise it.

Finally got the last two characters I needed in Gauntlet mode and didn't even have to resort to the DLC stages. I got lucky and found Yoshitsune in a stage, lucky enough to get Nene to drop her ally item as an Otherworld invader, and then the "boss" level in Level 3 has Himiko as an officer in the stone maze, and I was super fortunate that the Gyuki that showed up with Orochi dropped his item too. Those were the last four I was missing.

I was really annoyed that the group of five special Gyukis that shows up if the miasma gets to 100 in a stage doesn't drop anything. I'm also annoyed that they don't let you use that as an outfit for Gyuki.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

There's at least some variety in sw4. You got normal sword and spear dudes and female versions of those, male and female ninjas, musketeers, archers, cavalry, wrestlers, peasants, supply troops and mages. Plus factions have different armor, guys in rags, barbarian guys and a bunch of more normal skins. Actually there is a ton of variety so if sw4 can do it next gen dw8 empires might do it too

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

The mercenary dude with the rifle owns

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I know that Speed refers to movement speed, I'm just saying it seems like beyond a certain point boosting speed just doesn't seem worth it. Like all my Gauntlet mode characters right now have maxed speed plus the Charm of Alacrity and Messenger Mail, both level 20. But the increase from adding Fleet Mail doesn't seem worth it to give up that item slot that I could be better using for something more useful. The extra 20 points or whatever aren't THAT much faster that it's worth losing that slot, is what I'm saying.

But it is cool to get confirmation that you're definitely faster than Red Hare if you're using items to raise it.

I think you get faster than Red Hare at about 240ish speed, IIRC.

I just wasn't sure if Speed affected anything beyond movement speed or not, so I was just chiming in with what I knew.

And yeah, generally speaking, the trade off isn't worth it, although there are times where it's nice to just be able to buzz through a level.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

o.m. 94 posted:

The mercenary dude with the rifle owns

SW 4 really does have some fun characters to play as, I think Naotora Ii and the Uesugi dude with dual wielding chain/buzzsaws are my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sakurazuka posted:

If a bit easy.

This really does need to be emphasized. The only gripe gameplay-wise for SW4 I can drum up too often is that the difficulties are kind of weird. Like don't even bother touching Easy. Normal is fine to start but you'll probably want to ratchet it up into Hard not long after, because once you actually start finding some better weapons everything becomes super trivial. Hard is a pretty good balance but once again, when you start getting the REALLY good weapons and levels, it starts to loose some of that oomph. Nightmare however is then a humongous jump up and pretty refreshing as you need to start playing smarter and all that stuff.

Also speaking of unique generics, Katsuyori Takeda is another. He's got a pretty unique look but he uses the generic spear moveset I think it was.

Davincie posted:

Plus factions have different armor, guys in rags, barbarian guys and a bunch of more normal skins. Actually there is a ton of variety so if sw4 can do it next gen dw8 empires might do it too

Not just armors and stuff either, even when it comes to faces they vary it up some depending on places. Like when you get into Kyushu stuff everyone gets hella tan. :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 16, 2014