Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Well that's 1 out of 3 games that didn't crash and burn completely on launch, well done Ubisoft. Now let's see if you can make it 2 out of 4 with The Division.
After Unity and Watch_Dogs' abysmal reception, something tells me Division will be delayed. Bad publicity stung EA enough to delay Hardline into next year after all.
Yeah, but EA has apparently learned a few things from their previous PR disasters. There's no evidence Ubisoft has yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Volkerball posted:

Far Cry 3 is $10 on Steam this weekend.

In the US, it's $7.49, or $10 for the "Franchise Pack", which includes FC1, FC2, FC3, FC3's DLC, and Blood Dragon. You'd have to be retarded to skip that sort of deal, especially if you don't own any of the games.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Hey thanks for the heads-up. Already had FC3, but apparently I was missing the FC, FC2 and Blood Dragon on Steam, so that's a pretty good deal for me anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, but EA has apparently learned a few things from their previous PR disasters. There's no evidence Ubisoft has yet.

Like, NOT even a little bit.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Holy poo poo the secret ending is awesome and a huge cocktease to my "I wanna be bad and do rad poo poo with baddies." lust :haw:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 15, 2014

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Holy poo poo the secret ending is awesome and a huge cocktease to my "I wanna be bad and do rad poo poo with baddies." lust :haw:
I wanted the same as you, but I can't even stay mad at this.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Capn Beeb posted:

Really the game series you should probably play is Way of the Samurai, which has had not only "I'm a bad guy" endings but also "I'm a bad guy and terrible person" playthroughs since basically the first one on PS2. And bonus, the WotS4 is coming to Steam at some indeterminate point (And it has at least one join the literal ultimate bad guy ending, too)!

I mean poo poo, WotS3 has an ending/playthrough based around murdering literally every NPC in the game, including your save points (Who are NPCs and also are killable).

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 15, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is this thread a no spoiler zone?

The preliminary IGN review, which is based on the single player only, seem to suggest that what Far Cry 3 did well, 4 does better, although what 3 did badly (STORY)... 4 does only a bit better on.

The Hunter enemy sounds awesome! Basically an enemy version of you, equipped with a bow and able to use animals to fight you.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Origin is currently super broken on Win7/8 right before a major release. Like to the point it's constantly crashing, deleting save games, and even eating up so much system memory it crashes the PC.

EA Support's response to this is "Neither of those systems provide enough market share for us to care about it, maybe you should try the game on the consoles.", which makes me think they aren't going to be fixing it.

EA is still the worst, don't worry.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I guess I'm just surprised at how little people are asking. Basically everything I've read or seen about Far Cry 4 seems to make it a glorified expansion. The rock was the most powerful weapon in Far Cry 3, now they've copied and pasted it, gave it a new model/animation, set it to work with animals and it's now 'bait'

I guess I'm going to call it now: This is not going to be the game that changes people's minds about the Far Cry series post 2. There's going to be backlash, probably even more pronounced than 3 because people will realize it's more of the same and nothing really has progressed in a huge manner.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

I guess I'm just surprised at how little people are asking. Basically everything I've read or seen about Far Cry 4 seems to make it a glorified expansion. The rock was the most powerful weapon in Far Cry 3, now they've copied and pasted it, gave it a new model/animation, set it to work with animals and it's now 'bait'

I guess I'm going to call it now: This is not going to be the game that changes people's minds about the Far Cry series post 2. There's going to be backlash, probably even more pronounced than 3 because people will realize it's more of the same and nothing really has progressed in a huge manner.

Oh god, worse than the Far Cry 3 backlash? :ohdear:

Quit being such a baby. It's going to be a beautiful, fun, presumably working game, and it's probably going to stand as the best available on the new consoles for quite a while.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Ddraig posted:

That would of happen no matter what Far Cry 4 was because that's what people on message boards do about every game.

edit- At some point every game is awful according to the internet. It just happens to some games faster.

incorporeal fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 15, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yes, arbitrary pre-release reviews by :siren: games journalists :siren: is an accurate representation of how a game is perceived and totally indicative of flaws that become apparent when you don't play the game in an attempt to be the first to write a review.

C'mon, man. You know better than that. I admit I'm very down on Far Cry 3, but there has been serious problems with Far Cry 3 that players have commented on extensively.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ddraig posted:

There's going to be backlash, probably even more pronounced than 3 because people will realize it's more of the same and nothing really has progressed in a huge manner.
Oh god, I remember the backlash 3 got. It was so terrible.

Also, we all remember how much people hated AC: Brotherhood, right?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Oh god, I remember the backlash 3 got. It was so terrible.

Also, we all remember how much people hated AC: Brotherhood, right?

It's never going to happen Xander, let it die in the crib man.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Orv posted:

It's never going to happen Xander, let it die in the crib man.
:/

It only takes one person to make the comparison in a pithy and quotable manner when the post-release reviews come out.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Capn Beeb posted:

I wonder if the secret ending would be considered a valid speedrun of the game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Personally as long as FC4 doesn't release in the state ACU did, it'll be fine. Even if the story is basically the same as FC3's, the core gameplay was fun enough, and legit great once it was modded. It's just a shame that Ubisoft mission design dictates that there will be a few dumbass follow-the-dude-without-getting-spotted missions early on to kill the mood.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

Yes, arbitrary pre-release reviews by :siren: games journalists :siren: is an accurate representation of how a game is perceived and totally indicative of flaws that become apparent when you don't play the game in an attempt to be the first to write a review.

C'mon, man. You know better than that. I admit I'm very down on Far Cry 3, but there has been serious problems with Far Cry 3 that players have commented on extensively.

Ok then, how about a billion awards, selling 10 million copies, and being an awesome game with very minor problems? As far as nerds bitching,

incorporeal posted:

That would of happen no matter what Far Cry 4 was because that's what people on message boards do about every game.

edit- At some point every game is awful according to the internet. It just happens to some games faster.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Sales and awards aren't really indicative of much. Game awards in particular, which tend to have the problem of games journalism in that a game can win awards if it's a) competent and b) hyped

Some in the thread earlier said that Far Cry 3 is pure frosting and that's pretty much exactly what it is. It has no depth. It is all sugary sweet fluff designed to wow people but once you get beyond that there's really nothing there. Every outpost is exactly the same mechanically with cosmetic differences. The hunting system is tacked on and annoying, the AI is loving awful, the plot is nonsensical, and virtually everything about is weird and disjointed.

There's really nothing wrong with games like Far Cry 3 on the whole, but it's very frustrating when they're hyped as the next big thing when mechanically they're a huge step back from things that already existed and because they sell the more interesting things are never touched upon again.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I get what you're saying. And the biggest problem is that game companies see the success of something like Far Cry 3 and will assume it has very few flaws at all. In fact, if your game did as well as Far Cry 3, you'd be crazy not to just to the same thing again.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Sales and awards aren't really indicative of much. Game awards in particular, which tend to have the problem of games journalism in that a game can win awards if it's a) competent and b) hyped

Some in the thread earlier said that Far Cry 3 is pure frosting and that's pretty much exactly what it is. It has no depth. It is all sugary sweet fluff designed to wow people but once you get beyond that there's really nothing there. Every outpost is exactly the same mechanically with cosmetic differences. The hunting system is tacked on and annoying, the AI is loving awful, the plot is nonsensical, and virtually everything about is weird and disjointed.

There's really nothing wrong with games like Far Cry 3 on the whole, but it's very frustrating when they're hyped as the next big thing when mechanically they're a huge step back from things that already existed and because they sell the more interesting things are never touched upon again.

What's a good game?

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

What's a good game?

video games with no hype. duh

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ddraig posted:

Did you hear about that shooter sequel? GUN was the most powerful weapon in the game. They just took GUN and changed how it looks and acts and it's animation and copied GUN back in the game. What a joke. It won't get new fans who don't like games with GUN in it.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I want more of the same with drop-in coop, so I'm going to pick up FC4, because that's exactly what I'm looking for.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Feindfeuer posted:

I want more of the same with drop-in coop, so I'm going to pick up FC4, because that's exactly what I'm looking for.

I feel like thats probably the opinion of most people that want this game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will not be satisfied until my friend wingsuit slams into a tree and I race past laughing at him only to hit a tree as well.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Professor Shark posted:

What's a good game?

There's plenty of good games. Far Cry 3 is a good game, but boy howdy it sure likes to remind you of the fact it is, infact, a game, which is completely at odds with how they try to present it.

If they would have went one way or the other, it would have been believable. As it stands it's just a frustrating mess where they're not sure what they're trying to do, are possibly trying to do everything, and failing on all accounts. One particularly frustrating thing that stood out in my mind is when you go the Doctor's Mansion. It's really, really well designed. It's a beautiful house, and it tells you so much about the guy that lives there. The level of detail is absurd, even down to the dirty dishes in the sink that show you he's a bachelor and doesn't really get many visitors, or visitors that care at least.

Then right in the middle they have a loving vending machine for guns. Right in the guy's house. That's pretty much the visual equivalent of the game slapping you in the face for having the conceit to think that they gave a poo poo about creating something interesting. It's like they put in enough groundwork to make you think that they care, but at the last second decided against it. Who knows?

It's almost as if there were two competing designers who were trying to do their own thing but compromised and hosed up both. Say what you will about Far Cry 2 but at least it had a level of internal consistency that showed that the developers actually gave a gently caress.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Far Cry completely presents itself as what it is. An absurdity generator that you shouldn't take seriously, and makes you laugh harder than a video game has any right to do. It's not pretending to have the depth of fallout. It delivers on everything it sells itself as. If that's not your thing, then I don't see why you'd care about the series. Far Cry 2 was like 7 years ago.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Far Cry completely presents itself as what it is. An absurdity generator that you shouldn't take seriously
The amount of ways Far Cry 3 could be made more absurd is so large that it itself reaches the point of absurdity.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
FC3 and 2 definitely tried to be somewhat serious with their plots which (in 3 especially) managed to be heavily at odds with the gameplay.

4 seems to be carrying a theme of embracing the chaos.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Volkerball posted:

Far Cry completely presents itself as what it is. An absurdity generator that you shouldn't take seriously, and makes you laugh harder than a video game has any right to do. It's not pretending to have the depth of fallout. It delivers on everything it sells itself as. If that's not your thing, then I don't see why you'd care about the series. Far Cry 2 was like 7 years ago.

Except it really doesn't. Even if we take that completely insane interview with the writers as canon about it being a parody on the nature of violence or whatever, it still doesn't work because there are so many things in the game that are at odds with this that it's stupid. They could have gone down the Blood Dragon route and made it a completely stupid, unconceited shooter or they could have gone down the Far Cry 2 route and did the opposite.

I know the standard argument about this kind of thing is usually "it's a shootyman game, shoot men" which is all well and good but clearly people care about the kind of poo poo I'm talking about or there wouldn't really be any excitement about the fact there's elephants or bees or whatever now since people would be looking at it in entirely pragmatic terms (i.e. how is the animal AI going to change or is it literally just a model swap?)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

FC3 and 2 definitely tried to be somewhat serious with their plots which (in 3 especially) managed to be heavily at odds with the gameplay.

4 seems to be carrying a theme of embracing the chaos.

Yeah, but the plot in 3 seemed to be kind of an afterthought without much thought put into it, which is why it was such a lazy narrative. The story missions themselves had plenty of cartoonish nonsense in them. It was just the cutscenes that tried too hard. Of course the writer wouldn't say so, but it sure didn't seem like FC3 in general gave a poo poo about the story so much as the open world gameplay. They also didn't bring that writer back.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Volkerball posted:

The story missions themselves had plenty of cartoonish nonsense in them.
Liiiiiiiike...?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Great Joe posted:

Liiiiiiiike...?

I don't know about you but whenever I get into a deadly struggle to the death it usually happens in an empty 80s disco.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Great Joe posted:

Liiiiiiiike...?

Burning down the giant drug plantation with the flamethrower?

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I remember when I got to the weed burning mission and the dubstep rasta song came on. It was like a slap in the face by the team. That song would never start playing in real life. Made me realize I was playing video games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ddraig posted:

Except it really doesn't. Even if we take that completely insane interview with the writers as canon about it being a parody on the nature of violence or whatever, it still doesn't work because there are so many things in the game that are at odds with this that it's stupid. They could have gone down the Blood Dragon route and made it a completely stupid, unconceited shooter or they could have gone down the Far Cry 2 route and did the opposite.

I know the standard argument about this kind of thing is usually "it's a shootyman game, shoot men" which is all well and good but clearly people care about the kind of poo poo I'm talking about or there wouldn't really be any excitement about the fact there's elephants or bees or whatever now since people would be looking at it in entirely pragmatic terms (i.e. how is the animal AI going to change or is it literally just a model swap?)

You complained about a mechanically useful gun vending machine in a normal house. And your solution to that being not absurd enough is to go full Blood Dragon insane?

Ok right. I think you and the rest of the world have a difference of opinion on where the line is for being over the top.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Bombadilillo posted:

You complained about a mechanically useful gun vending machine in a normal house. And your solution to that being not absurd enough is to go full Blood Dragon insane?

Ok right. I think you and the rest of the world have a difference of opinion on where the line is for being over the top.

Like I said, it wouldn't be an issue if they decided to go either way, but the stupid compromise in the middle is, well, stupid.

They go out of their way to try to make these overarching themes or whatever but it's like Schindler's List starring The Three Stooges.

It's like that complaint earlier where they try to show that Jason, in addition to becoming the God King of Polynesia is also turning into a jaded, cynical person completely desensitized or even actively enjoying violence, yet he still reacts in the same way to skinning the millionth pig he's turned into a wallet in the exact same manner as the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Very unrealistic portrayal of tripping on mushrooms if I may so myself as well.

• Locked thread