Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You there. Games browsing goon. I want you to stop for a second, and think deeply about your favorite video games. What core qualities do they share that draw you to them? Do you enjoy being a part of an interactive cinematic masterpiece playing out in front of your eyes? Do you like to see social barriers skillfully broken, and all of your presuppositions about life in general shattered in epic pieces of social commentary? Do you take great pride in beating games that seem unbeatable, climbing to unforeseen heights you never thought possible by conquering that which desperately fights back every step of the way like an untamed beast?

If you said yes to any of these, don't buy this game, and also gently caress you, gently caress this truck,

gently caress this guy,

and gently caress this guy too.

Welcome to the newest installment of the earth renowned Far Cry series: Far Cry 4.

Far Cry is a first person shooter series set in an open world. While the first two had some qualms that stopped them from being excellent games, Far Cry 3 really put it all together, becoming one of the most heralded games of 2012. As such, there will be some lofty expectations for FC4 to live up to. The games are traditionally set in exotic environments, for instance Africa and a tropical island, and feature an absurdly dense amount of wildlife. Some of these wildlife are pretty chill, tapirs and goats, etc. But 90% of them will kill the poo poo out of you or any unfortunate AI characters who happen to stumble in their path. There's a very simple crafting component involved, in which you can make basic stuff like drugs and inventory upgrades out of plants and animal carcasses that you collect, and a sort of GTA-esque mission component where you travel to the mission start point, go places, kill people, burn poo poo, kill more people, take some sort of hallucinogenic drug and stagger through a melting horror landscape, rescue some prisoners, kill a lot of people at once, and eventually kill the bad guy. But the true appeal of these games is always the dicking around in the open world part. You have a variety of comically effective, rambo-esque weapons to choose from, a fuckload of killer death animals that can be influenced with baits, a beautiful map with tons of things to explore, a bunch of outposts and forts full of enemy dudes where your only objective is "kill everyone" however you see fit, a wingsuit, a lil pocket helicopter, and large portions of the map that have very dense patrols that ensure that any weapon fired anywhere without a silencer will have people looking for you ready to start a war at any time with dudes in guntrucks coming in right behind the guys on foot. It's properly played by being a toddler and making your own stories.

RELEASE DATES

Available on 11/18/2014 for

PC
XBOX360
PS3
XBOXONE
PS4

CHARACTER AND PLOT OVERVIEW

The Mother loving Elephants:

"CRAAAAAAW. CRAW-SMAAAAASH. ER-REEEEEEEE SMAASH 'no. no no no NOOOOO!' ER-REEEEEEE SMAAAASH"

The Bad Guy:

"You and I are gonna tear poo poo up!"

This is Pagan Min, who, in the interest of clarity, we shall refer to as Kills on Flimsy Pretense Man for the duration of this overview. Kills on Flimsy Pretense Man grew up in Hong Kong, the son of a drug lord and a British expat. Being ambitious and craving power, as bad guys are wont to do, he killed his father and took the operation over. Then he quickly ostracized himself from all the other bad guys by being a super bad guy and trying to seize power. Fleeing bounties on his head, he ended up in the setting for the game, Kyrat. Kyrat was in the midst of civil war due to an uprising against its monarchy, and Kills on Flimsy Pretense Man exploited this by using his families fortune to buy a personal army. He sided with the uprising, which called itself the Royalists. Once the Royalists won the war by taking Kyrat's palace, he betrayed the Royalists by killing every one of them, and took over the throne himself. For the next 20 years, Kills on Flimsy Pretense Man became a Kim Jung Il of sorts. A massive propaganda campaign, the drug trade, and corruption solidified his rule over the country. Naturally, this led to a guerrilla resistance movement led by a man named Mohan Ghale. This uprising was super personal because Ghale and Kills on Flimsy Pretense Man were in love with the same woman. Naturally. The woman, named Ishwari, chose Ghale, presumable because he was super noble or w/e. The uprising ended with the death of Ghale, at which point, Ishwari fled for the United States, and Kills on Flimsy Pretense Man became a reclusive dictator, leaving Kyrat to the rule of various governors. ~until~

The Good Guy (this is you):

"What have I become?" probably

You are Ajay Ghale, AKA Inner Demons Man. The surviving son of Ishwari and Mohan Ghale. His mother never explained to him anything about his father, the rebellion, Kyrat, or why they fled for the US. After living in exile for 20-some years, Ishwari dies. Ajay intends to honor her last wish, that her ashes be scattered over the tallest mountain in Kyrat. But on his way there, :ohdear:

THE TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d60v1OErEY

THE WORLD

Kyrat is the mix of a drugged mans interpretation of India, and small Himalayan communities, divided into 3 separate sections based on elevation as you travel towards the mountains. They are the marshy Lowlands, the rolling hills of the Midlands, and the peaks of the Himalayan Highlands. There are, in Far Cry fashion, an excessive amount of ancient runes and statues that add a little flavor to the environment.

The lowlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouj0SA5XvoQ

The midlands and highlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFNOXA3Q9XU

With the tapered design of the map, going down from the mountains that get so high you need to keep an eye on your oxygen supply, to the marshes and rivers at the base below, looks a lot easier than going up.

THE WILDLIFE

Rhinos, Mother loving Elephants, demon honey badgers, Goliath African Tigerfish, Golden Eagles, snow leopards, tigers, wolves, and a lot more.

WEAPONS

Largely the same as the Far Cry 3 weapons, which were a variety of shotguns, SMG's, assault rifles, sniper rifles, and pistols, with a nice amount of attachments and color schemes you can add as you like, and X weapons like the RPG, flamethrower, and a bow with a variety of arrows, along with new stuff like mortars, an auto-crossbow, and a giant fuckoff harpoon gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS_2OV1tI34

MULTIPLAYER

PVP: Each game involves players taking turns on two different sides. You have to play as both every game. The sides are the Rakshasa, a tribal native side that relies on bows, summoning wild animals, and stealth. The other side is the Golden Path, a side that uses modern weaponry and has no issues with driving vehicles. The game modes are Outpost: Capture the outposts and hold them, Propaganda: destroy or defend the propaganda, and Demon Mask: Capture the flag with a, well, demon mask.

Co-op: The true star of FC4's multiplayer. While FC3 had scripted missions and a really limited scope of what you could do in co-op, FC4 just drops you both in the world and lets you at it. You can't play storyline missions, but you can take forts and outposts, as well as just dick around in general, with up to 4 players. Or maybe only up to 2 players. :iiam: You can also invite someone to play up to 10 2 hour segments of co-op with you even if they don't own the game themselves thanks to a feature called Keys to Kyrat.

OFFERS AND DLC AND poo poo

Pre-ordering gets you a free upgrade to the ~limited edition~

THE FREE LIMITED EDITION UPGRADE INCLUDES HURK'S REDEMPTION, A SERIES OF THREE ACTION-PACKED SINGLE-PLAYER MISSIONS.
YOU'LL EMBARK ON AN EPIC QUEST TO FIND A RARE ARTIFACT WHILE USING :siren:THE IMPALER HARPOON GUN:siren:

:swoon:

The Season Pass is $30

SAVE 20% ON ALL ADD-ON CONTENT
AND RECEIVE AN EXCLUSIVE DAY-ONE MISSION!
PLUS, UNLOCK ALL UPCOMING FAR CRY 4 ADD-ON CONTENT, INCLUDING THE ESCAPE FROM DURGESH PRISON MISSION, THE VALLEY OF THE YETIS STORY, THE FIVE PRE-ORDER MISSIONS PLUS WEAPONS, AND OVERRUN – AN EXCLUSIVE PVP MODE.

Screenshots:

Allahu ackbar, may all your elephants die a martyrs death.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yes, but does it have an impossible grappling hook and parachute, like the previous islands-and-mountains-rear end in a top hat-simulator?

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
That last shot, I must say, is an impressive piece of scenery.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SaviourX posted:

Yes, but does it have an impossible grappling hook and parachute, like the previous islands-and-mountains-rear end in a top hat-simulator?

You bet your rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04z45SOAH5k&t=142s

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I think it's dumb that they solved the technical challenge of open world coop but still won't let me play through the entire game with a friend. If I could do that I would have bought this on release but as it is I might wait.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mercrom posted:

I think it's dumb that they solved the technical challenge of open world coop but still won't let me play through the entire game with a friend. If I could do that I would have bought this on release but as it is I might wait.

Ideally, the storyline would accommodate two players by explaining that the main character has an identical twin who is never directly addressed by any NPCs in the entire game.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
It would fit right in with Far Cry 3's story so it sounds like a good idea.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Ideally, the storyline would accommodate two players by explaining that the main character has an identical twin who is never directly addressed by any NPCs in the entire game.

Nah, try Psy Ops coop. Flip a coin to see who controls the torso! :unsmigghh:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

quote:

Mother loving elephants

gently caress elephants, the fur tech looks pretty incredible. Waiting for the tiger riding mod.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I really hope you don't have to preorder or buy DLC to get the gently caress off harpoon gun.

I also hope you get to shoot Hurk with it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxz-F5Li3wU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

It's good, as a company, to build on your core competencies.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Any indication they fixed the hideous issue with bullets straight up disappearing past a certain distance? It was hard to set up a shot past three hundred meters in 3 but when you did pull it off your bullets ended up disappearing at around 250ish.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I'm a bit confused about the coop. You say its up to 4 player coop, but from what I've gathered you can only have 2 player coop. (You and one friend)

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Party Plane Jones posted:

Any indication they fixed the hideous issue with bullets straight up disappearing past a certain distance? It was hard to set up a shot past three hundred meters in 3 but when you did pull it off your bullets ended up disappearing at around 250ish.
The solution in FC3 was to get the PC version and mod it (it was a simple single variable edit to the weapon properties).

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Stoked for the upcoming DLC Turbo Elephant Top Gear pack.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wait, so the main villain isn't aggressively gay?

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

GyverMac posted:

I'm a bit confused about the coop. You say its up to 4 player coop, but from what I've gathered you can only have 2 player coop. (You and one friend)
Yeah it doesn't help Ubisoft is being vague about it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
How long do you have to play until you get to the part where you contemplate what a bloodthirsty monster you've become. Hopefully after looking down at your bloody hands after killing an important person rather than the million mooks before.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Whenever I joked about that, I thought I was joking about Bioshock Infinite, another AAA game I haven't played. I guess it was Far Cry 3?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ddraig posted:

How long do you have to play until you get to the part where you contemplate what a bloodthirsty monster you've become. Hopefully after looking down at your bloody hands after killing an important person rather than the million mooks before.

I'm pretty sure the game gives you options to spare the lives of important characters, so you only become a monster if you know the names of the people you kill.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Well they've put a karma system in place now. Don't like that at all. Hope I can turn it off. I just want to go on bloodthirsty rampages.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ddraig posted:

Probably after the part where you replay the Far Cry 3 trip.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Whenever I joked about that, I thought I was joking about Bioshock Infinite, another AAA game I haven't played. I guess it was Far Cry 3?

If it's a AAA shooter, you can bet that one of the writers did this in it because they thought it was deep, when really most of us just want to dehumanize ourselves and face to the bloodshed.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Far Cry 3 had such a retarded story that literally made no sense. I think I stopped caring about the time it was revealed you were actually the chosen warrior prince that was destined to lead the savages to victory.

I wish they would have taken a leaf out of Far Cry 2's book and made it so you were not a nice person who was being 'corrupted', you were a terrible person who did terrible things for blood diamonds.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ninja fetus posted:

Well they've put a karma system in place now. Don't like that at all. Hope I can turn it off. I just want to go on bloodthirsty rampages.
Don't worry, it will be as half-assed as possible. Ubisoft would never go through the trouble of giving players non-lethal options for anything but scripted events.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

J-Spot posted:

Don't worry, it will be as half-assed as possible. Ubisoft would never go through the trouble of giving players non-lethal options for anything but scripted events.

If it works like the majority of games with morality systems do, you'll be given a binary choice at the end of a few quests which are either "Kill this rear end in a top hat and probably save a lot of people by doing that BUT YOU ARE THE EVIL ONE!!!" or "Tell him he's been a bad boy and to not do that again/let someone else kill him because you're just not a bad enough dude."

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

J-Spot posted:

This is what annoyed me about Far Cry 3. If you're going to go to the trouble of trying to do something, then at least take the time to do it right. Either go whole hog and make it really good, or don't bother at all. Far Cry 2 took the former option in that the world was believable and that ultimately the points they were making were made really well without having to resort to stupid, tired cliches and cutscenes at odds with the rest of the game entirely, and Blood Dragon took the latter and didn't give a poo poo and just had the barest pretext to give some purpose to 'kill these men'

Far Cry 3 was half-assed in so many ways. They could have made a really, really good game but it was a step back from Far Cry 2 in so many ways, not only in presentation.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GyverMac posted:

I saw 4 somewhere, but it was hard finding something conclusive. :shrug:

There were people who didn't like Blood Dragon? I never played it because I wasn't really into the theme, but it seemed like people loved the hell out of it in general. The trailer was definitely cool.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ddraig posted:

Far Cry 3 was half-assed in so many ways. They could have made a really, really good game but it was a step back from Far Cry 2 in so many ways, not only in presentation.

And yet people loved the gently caress out of Far Cry 3, and generally nobody even remembers there even was a Far Cry 2.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Blood Dragon was OK. For all its supposed benefits, it was still Far Cry 3 at heart and still had the same stupid decisions Far Cry 3 has because it's an expansion, not an actual new game.

I think one of my major beefs was how they attempted to be tongue in cheek about lovely aspects but somehow making them more lovely. Having a stupid loving forced tutorial isn't made any better if the game acknowledges it's a stupid loving forced tutorial, it's a kick in the teeth to say "Isn't this terrible and boring and horrible? It so is, but we're still going to make you do it!"

And yet people loved the gently caress out of Far Cry 3, and generally nobody even remembers there even was a Far Cry 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93WRQ8HT_WA

On a more serious note, Far Cry 2 is one of those games I still play regularly because I think it's very much the Dark Souls of FPS games. Its unrelenting, will kick you when you're down, and gives absolutely no concessions. You either get good, or you die. Everything about it fits in to the theme of the game, and it does so in a way that actually makes sense and doesn't rely on contradictory points and stupid forced restrictions. I could tell you any number of cool Far Cry 2 stories about how an attack on an outpost went really terrible... in Far Cry 3 the best story I can probably tell is "A tiger came out of somewhere (probably a cage) and killed a bunch of people. Isn't that great?' repeat ad infinitum.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 8, 2014

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I never played 2 but thought the gameplay in 3 was great. My problem with that game and with Ubisoft's open world game template in general is they only seem to do just enough to give the illusion of player freedom but they're too lazy to go all out with it. They'll implement things like stealth and crafting but force you to use them in the way they want you to. They make these huge worlds but offer little sense of discovery because everything of interest is just going to be displayed on your map. Far Cry could be as interesting as Fallout with a little effort, but they don't bother because they don't need to.

Ddraig posted:

Blood Dragon was OK. For all its supposed benefits, it was still Far Cry 3 at heart and still had the same stupid decisions Far Cry 3 has because it's an expansion, not an actual new game.
I fully expect Blood Dragon 2 to be a full game. Ubisoft were not expecting 3 to sell as many units as it did, but now that they know they have a hit on their hands I expect we'll be seeing sequels turned around a lot more quickly like they do with Assassin's Creed.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ddraig posted:

Been a while since I've a read an opinion so dumb I actually had to post to disagree. Far Cry 2 is a terrible game. It's boring, tedious, annoying and repetitive. And no, the fact that's it's designed to be boring, tedious, annoying and repetitive, does not make up for the fact it's boring, tedious, annoying and repetitive.

In other news, any official statements about removing FC4 from steam? Preferably statements that start with "totally a mistake we're going to fix shortly"? :shobon:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Xander77 posted:

Been a while since I've a read an opinion so dumb I actually had to post to disagree. Far Cry 2 is a terrible game. It's boring, tedious, annoying and repetitive. And no, the fact that's it's designed to be boring, tedious, annoying and repetitive, does not make up for the fact it's boring, tedious, annoying and repetitive.

In other news, any official statements about removing FC4 from steam? Preferably statements that start with "totally a mistake we're going to fix shortly"? :shobon:

It's already back up on Steam, along with Unity.

Also Far Cry 2 owns and Far Cry 3 was a watered down version of that for console babies YEEEEEAH SO HARDCORE

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

J-Spot posted:

I never played 2 but thought the gameplay in 3 was great. My problem with that game and with Ubisoft's open world game template in general is they only seem to do just enough to give the illusion of player freedom but they're too lazy to go all out with it. They'll implement things like stealth and crafting but force you to use them in the way they want you to. They make these huge worlds but offer little sense of discovery because everything of interest is just going to be displayed on your map. Far Cry could be as interesting as Fallout with a little effort, but they don't bother because they don't need to.

I fully expect Blood Dragon 2 to be a full game. Ubisoft were not expecting 3 to sell as many units as it did, but now that they know they have a hit on their hands I expect we'll be seeing sequels turned around a lot more quickly like they do with Assassin's Creed.

The thing is, Far Cry 2 is actually closer to what you describe than 3 ever was. It's hard to describe, but Far Cry 3 felt incredibly 'safe'

There was absolutely no sense of safety in Far Cry 2. The only truly safe places were in villages (and even then, not entirely) and in safehouses. The game was much about forward planning as it was about getting your hands dirty. There was very limited fast travel, so you had to trek to where you needed to go and deal with the consequences on the way. The map was a literal map, that you pulled out and had to check in real time (I remember driving along, looking down at the map to see where I was going and plowing into a wildebeest, which hosed my car up no end). Every firefight was deadly, there was no real 'start again from a checkpoint', you had to rely on the friends you made to literally bail you out of situation. And even they could get killed, often by you (I remember during one mission I was taken out by a sniper, they dragged me away and during my subsequent cleanup I fired on someone from a distance, checked on them and it turned out it was the person who saved me. They were dead, so my backup was gone and I had to be extra careful)

You had complete and total freedom to do whatever the gently caress you wanted. There were no constraints on missions, no boundaries. If you wanted to climb up that mountain and snipe people from there, the game would let you. If you wanted to wait until night and firebomb straw buildings with a grenade launcher, knock yourself out. One of the things that annoyed me in Far Cry 3 was when I was trying to take this approach with one of the first missions (the one with the ship, I believe) I found a really neat viewpoint but the game wouldn't let me go there because it was out of the mission boundaries.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The big thing I disliked about FC2 is how the machete isn't a silent kill, any time you try to take someone down with it they go down and start screaming and alert everyone and that's just no fun.

So I started using a flamethrower instead for my stealth and that worked better.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Really, if going through checkpoints wasn't so damned annoying, Far Cry 2 would have been my favorite game of all time. As it is, it's just a really solid game that I like a whole lot except for a couple of annoying design flaws.

Also the fact that you can't play as any of the female mercenaries, for no good reason.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is anyone really not expecting the twist to be Pagan is your real father?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I love how in Far Cry 2 you could be an incredibly evil person (because that's literally who your character is)

I liked to place mines around a camp then throw petrol bombs in. Things would start going alight, people would start running, usually into the mines. Then you could go and clean up the stragglers with your machete. Or you could rig up a vehicle with IEDs, leave it on the side of the road and then use it as a reference point to blow up an incoming convoy. Or just cover it in C4 and drive headlong, diving out and blowing up the explosives then going to town with your machine gun.

Far Cry 2 actually made you feel like a terrible person because of the things you could do. Far Cry 3 tried to make you feel like a terrible person with cutscenes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My biggest issue with 3 was the lack of voice actors for random enemy NPC's. Practically all of them rotated the same 5 or 6 lines by that one guy. Every pirate having the same voice got old quick. WHAT DEE gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Far Cry 3 was rad by the way the only improvement I'd make is cut out all story/cutscenes and increase LoD distance cos that was some console poo poo or something.

• Locked thread