Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
Can anyone just explain what happened?

I picked up the Negative, killed Mom's Heart, and left the room. Then I came back in the room, went into the trap door to Sheol and it took me to the loving Cathedral. How is that possible? This is the third run in a row where I've gotten hosed out of a Lamb kill by something stupid when having a nearly unbeatable item combination. Last time, killing Mom spawned the Polaroid right under me.

I'm so mad at this game right now.

How the gently caress does the trap door take me to the loving Cathedral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

The Bee posted:

Man everyone's saying this game's so much easier and yet I've been having downright atrocious luck at it compared to original Isaac. Probably because I'm used to having way more room to exploit invincibility frames and classic Cain.

Closest I've had to getting my old main's power back is HoB-mode Eve, and she dies in literally one hit with the drought of soul hearts I've been getting.

I think the difficulty is lower in some ways but there are ways in which it is more challenging. The biggest game changer in terms of lowering difficulty for me seems to be that there's more item variety and you are less likely to get to the depths with nothing but HP up/range up stuff.

On the other hand, champion class enemies now have all sorts of different traits based on color, some of which can be rather threatening. In addition, It Lives is now actually challenging.

Isaac and ??? are easier but those fights were pretty badly designed in the original game since they countered individual shots and therefore having tears at all was a detriment.

Also sometimes tracking enemies bullets that are lobbed was not fair in the original game because a bullet that had a shadow indicating a high position below you would sometimes still hit you if you touched the sprite even though, based on the shadow, you were actually standing to the side of the bullet.

The game is still challenging and there are some room types that can be rather brutal, but I think the game is better designed and balanced.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I've had like, 6 runs now where I'm well into the Necropolis plinking away at these stupid loving rooms and bosses with my default tears. This game is just handing me complete dogshit over and over again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

jsr v2.0 posted:

Can anyone just explain what happened?

I picked up the Negative, killed Mom's Heart, and left the room. Then I came back in the room, went into the trap door to Sheol and it took me to the loving Cathedral. How is that possible? This is the third run in a row where I've gotten hosed out of a Lamb kill by something stupid when having a nearly unbeatable item combination. Last time, killing Mom spawned the Polaroid right under me.

I'm so mad at this game right now.

How the gently caress does the trap door take me to the loving Cathedral?

The game doesn't actually stop you from moving when the animation for you going down the trap door on any floor begins, which is why you can pick up hearts and items that are over the door. If you still had some momentum while you moved toward the trap door, the momentum probably continued even though the stock 'going down the hole' animation played, and that caused you to touch the light, which then took you to the cathedral. It was a bug in the original game too, where if you touched one and then slid into the other, it'd take you to the other instead.

If that's not what happened and you just walked over the door slowly, I dunno.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

CJacobs posted:

The game doesn't actually stop you from moving when the animation for you going down the trap door on any floor begins, which is why you can pick up hearts and items that are over the door. If you still had some momentum while you moved toward the trap door, the momentum probably continued even though the stock 'going down the hole' animation played, and that caused you to touch the light, which then took you to the cathedral. It was a bug in the original game too, where if you touched one and then slid into the other, it'd take you to the other instead.

If that's not what happened and you just walked over the door slowly, I dunno.

Recorded a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRaccH92B7s

I entered the door from the south, and I don't think I pulled a hard right at any point.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Anti-Gravity + Technology 1 is an interesting combo. It lowered my fire speed on stats, however I can just hold down fire and have a near constant beam out.

I really love that there are so many combinations now.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Wow, getting Charcoal certainly turned that Head Trauma challenge right around. That one power-up turns the Head Trauma build from annoyingly weak to a room-clearing meat grinder.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Infested Baby is the 2nd best familiar for sure, because those attack flies scale with your damage and he never stops producing them. If you have some other way of generating soul hearts, he might be the best.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Ghost Head posted:

I've had like, 6 runs now where I'm well into the Necropolis plinking away at these stupid loving rooms and bosses with my default tears. This game is just handing me complete dogshit over and over again.

You probably aren't doing BOILER runs, so if you don't get something reasonably decent in Basement1/2, just restart!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Cuntpunch posted:

You probably aren't doing BOILER runs, so if you don't get something reasonably decent in Basement1/2, just restart!

I scum basement 1 so hard. I don't even bother doing the boss, if my first item room isn't solid then I just restart. It's so much easier than doing dozens of garbage runs and hoping they turn around. If your first item room isn't some kind of "I can kill things better" or strong utility item, just hold R. Makes the game a lot more fun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magres posted:

I scum basement 1 so hard. I don't even bother doing the boss, if my first item room isn't solid then I just restart. It's so much easier than doing dozens of garbage runs and hoping they turn around. If your first item room isn't some kind of "I can kill things better" or strong utility item, just hold R. Makes the game a lot more fun.

Same here. Especially now that I have the cellar. The Haunt is just so obnoxious that it's just not worth doing the run if my first item isn't good.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
The only character you shouldn't/can't scum on is Eden, but that's part of the design and the fact that she can start with everything from hilariously OP to ridiculously terrible items also balances it out.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh god for real the haunt should not be a loving first floor boss. He'd be fine if he didn't come with the stupid mini ghosts, or even if he just didn't send the second and third at you at the same time. The first ghost is reasonable, the two at once with him still floating around is crap

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Same here. Especially now that I have the cellar. The Haunt is just so obnoxious that it's just not worth doing the run if my first item isn't good.

For this game I specifically found out what to do to avoid unlocking the cellar so I could avoid pin and the haunt.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Just had a fun run as samson that started with double shot (hell yeah) then I thought i was getting a laser eye but it was the tear control (another goon I hang out with said he hates it a lot, but I wanted to try it) And drat I had a blast. I got several tear upgrades (including another orbiter for it) that made bossfights pushovers. I just parked it on mom's heart and dodged poo poo. Makes up for the loss of my machinegun poison tear eden run :buddy:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Haunt is really easy tho?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magres posted:

Oh god for real the haunt should not be a loving first floor boss. He'd be fine if he didn't come with the stupid mini ghosts, or even if he just didn't send the second and third at you at the same time. The first ghost is reasonable, the two at once with him still floating around is crap

My thoughts exactly. He's not even hard, just obnoxious.

Also, he's so very buggy. Before the first patch you could get into a literally unwinnable state if you kill his buddies in a non-standard way. Such as pooping them. Which is great when you're trying to do "High Brow" and they want to ram you and turn themselves into poops. Also his pathing just utterly breaks if you either walk up to his row or inflict a status on him. The former I can understand as an anti-cheese method where he just snaps to you and slaps your character. The latter, his pathing starts to become obnoxious when he starts snapping all around the room if you hit him with fear or charm.

Genocyber posted:

The Haunt is really easy tho?

Easy? Yes. Annoying, obnoxious, and tedious despite the lack of challenge? Very Yes.

He's up there with "Mask of Infamy" on the list of "bosses that I really hate but not because they're hard"

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Magres posted:

Wow look at Mr. Puts-work-into-the-game over here. I just hold R until there is a treasure room attached to the starting room with a good item in it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

Wow look at Mr. Puts-work-into-the-game over here. I just hold R until there is a treasure room attached to the starting room with a good item in it.

Tell me you at least walk to your treasure room if you get an XL first floor? Because that's double item rooms that don't require keys, and double boss items.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

That's what I do, I just didn't want to admit to being that lazy :v:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is the D4 supposed to give you a full heal? I desperation popped it at one heart container in the Dark Room (got it in the boss rush room, rerolled into a pretty powerful technology shot that got me through Sheol) and got a full heal plus an absolutely absurd charged shot. Like, I'm pretty sure it was Polyphemus + Proptosis + Chocolate Milk + Money = Power + Quad Shot on Judas base damage and it took up like half the screen. It took like 5 seconds to charge but killed the Lamb in like 4 shots, and it'd probably have been 3 if I fully charged them.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Alkydere posted:

Tell me you at least walk to your treasure room if you get an XL first floor? Because that's double item rooms that don't require keys, and double boss items.

Wait, do XL Basement 1's not require keys for the treasure rooms now? They did in wrath of the lamb and I'm used to auto-resetting that nonsense.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are a few items that heal you, you might have rolled into one.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

Yeah I keep thinking "one more item room could turn this around!" Not falling for that again

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

Wait, do XL Basement 1's not require keys for the treasure rooms now? They did in wrath of the lamb and I'm used to auto-resetting that nonsense.

Correct! Basement/Cellar 1 XLs do NOT need keys in Rebirth! So that's not one but TWO items for free on floor one! Four if you count the dual bosses, AND I can back up from experience that the second boss can totally spawn a Devil Room despite normal Floor 1 rules!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Runcible Spoon posted:

So two things. First, does defeating Mega Satan count as a Chest clear for purposes of unlocks, because I have the most unholy bonkers build here.

Second, I'm saving that Azazel seed for your pleasure. By the end of the Chest, I was firing orbiting slowing homing quad-beam Tammy's Head brimstone bursts, with BFF Smart Fly, Distant Admiration, a Bandage Ball, Trinity Shield, and a Dark Bum. I am eagerly awaiting a boss fight with childlike glee.

EDIT: Just in case the screenshot breaks for whatever reason, it's:
B3DA
X77S

Is this on PC?

And also, does a curse room do dmg to your soul/sin hearts or only regular hearts?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

goodness posted:

And also, does a curse room do dmg to your soul/sin hearts or only regular hearts?

Cursed Rooms damage your soul/sin hearts if you have them.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Magres posted:

And this is why I hate the PS4/Vita version or playing PC with a controller. Why they decided reset didn't need a button is beyond me. Don't even get me started on the whole items that let you carry two pill/cards on Vita. There's no way to swap them around! Found this out the hard way with the blank card and going SWEET EMPERESS + HIROPHANT CARRRRRRRYYYYY!

Nope.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I just had a really weird run on the Waka Waka challenge. I picked up Monstro's Lung and instead of things slowly flying towards me, they would zoom to me instantly as soon as I fired. Luckily my damage was high enough that things would die before hitting me.

MessiahForHire
Oct 15, 2012
loving finally beat Solar System. It didn't take me that many tries, it's just that each run is so ridiculously tedious and awful only to kill me at the Mom fight. Ugh. I got Little Steve on the first floor which made everything take longer but way safer, then the Bible showed up in the shop in Necropolis I so I didn't have to worry about being able to do the Mom/'s Heart fights. The Mask of Infamy took loving forever to kill, though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, I just had an Azazel run where I got so many damage boosting items(and triple shot) that my flies killed bosses in 4 HITS. Of course I ended up getting Guppy as well, ??? and Isaac didn't even manage to get a shot off.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I really wish Tiny planet just gave you a perfect circle of tears rotating around you instead of that weird criss cross thing it does.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just started as Eden with Brimstone and the jump spacebar item. :hellyeah:

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Holy gently caress you guys i just got chocolate milk+ipecac+cricket's body+pyromaniac. I can fire as fast as i can hit the keys and every explosion heals me

edit: i REALLY like the way chocolate milk works in this game. Every shot does damage determined by how long you hold the button so you can either rapid fire small, weak shots or you can charge them. Much, much better than the old game imo

Little Blue Couch fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 15, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Rubber Cement plus The Parasite is a super fun combo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Little Blue Couch posted:

Holy gently caress you guys i just got chocolate milk+ipecac+cricket's body+pyromaniac. I can fire as fast as i can hit the keys and every explosion heals me

edit: i REALLY like the way chocolate milk works in this game. Every shot does damage determined by how long you hold the button so you can either rapid fire small, weak shots or you can charge them. Much, much better than the old game imo

How is that different than the way it worked in the old game? I thought that was how it worked. :confused:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Finally got the Solar System challenge done. That one was taking me way too many attempts

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

flyboi posted:

Don't even get me started on the whole items that let you carry two pill/cards on Vita. There's no way to swap them around!
Nope.

Press the select button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Rubber Cement plus The Parasite is a super fun combo.

rubber cement is a very underappreciated effect because it may not be flashy but it sure as hell lets more of your missed shots hit something.