Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

hangedman1984 posted:

How does it feel to be a bad person with bad opinions?

Hey, be nice...he's obviously got a chronic case of wrong.

I think...I think he might be terminal. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

May does have a character. Like she has a reputation for pulling pranks, and you wouldn't expect it from her at all.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bruceski posted:

If you're willing to branch into anime

Nope.

May doesn't have much of a character, but it isn't so one note that it is insulting. It's hard to show different sides of a character like this without it being obviously stuffing 10 pounds of potatoes/exposition into an 8 pound sack.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think they're doing a much better job this season when they're like "and then in this scene, May's line is that she doesn't say anything and then the other person reacts."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Metropolis posted:

I think they're doing a much better job this season when they're like "and then in this scene, May's line is that she doesn't say anything and then the other person reacts."

Rubber duck debugging at its best! Except that this rubber duck can break you in half with her left pinky.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

May doesn't have much of a character, but it isn't so one note that it is insulting.

Not insulting, just boring. There's nothing interesting about her that isn't contained entirely within their ability to shoot a fight scene.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The problem with May is that Bobbi has been around for only a few episodes and is doing a better job of being what they seem to have wanted May to be than May is. Bobbi has at least shown emotion whilst still filling the badass role. May has had her moments, and she seems improved over the first season I think, but they are still writing her like a cardboard cut out most of the time.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

The problem with May is that Bobbi has been around for only a few episodes and is doing a better job of being what they seem to have wanted May to be than May is. Bobbi has at least shown emotion whilst still filling the badass role. May has had her moments, and she seems improved over the first season I think, but they are still writing her like a cardboard cut out most of the time.

Momma May needs to come back so May has someone to bounce off of that isn't Coulson, just like Bobbi has Trainspotting.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
May is Team Mom while Bobbi is Team Big Sister.

Totally different things.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pretty disappointing episode. The focus on the TAHITI mystery is the weakest running plot line on the show, sidelines all the interesting characters, and returns the original characters to their stultified personas from the first season. Maybe this is a show that benefits from watching it in blocks? Because I was loving catching up this season.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Shageletic posted:

Pretty disappointing episode. The focus on the TAHITI mystery is the weakest running plot line on the show, sidelines all the interesting characters, and returns the original characters to their stultified personas from the first season. Maybe this is a show that benefits from watching it in blocks? Because I was loving catching up this season.

I think pretty much every show benefits from watching in blocks but I agree that this episode was a little worse than what we've been getting so far this season. It felt like an above average early season 1 episode.

The Ward stuff was still solid though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not really, none of them except Coulson were acting like S1 versions of themselves. May Bobbi Trip and Cockney were chasing Ward, Skye's role here was completely different than it used to be and it had that great Bourne like scene where the guy remembered how to catch knives and be all spy-y. And now everything is known about the Tahiti project, every loose end accounted for. They are now looking for the city in order to beat Hydra to it because of its Obelisk connection, wrapping the storyline into the new one instead of having a separate unrelated one.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

rujasu posted:

What? She was in heels that one time because she was undercover, and she hated it.

She is stoic, but that's correct for her character, so I don't have a problem with it.

No, she always wears heels and it's dumb. Some of the ones they give her are worse than others. I never noticed until she started high heel kicking people in the face more recently either. Just google image search "agent may agents of shield" and look at her feet.

My comment was less about heels and more about lack of personality though.

ToastyPotato posted:

I agree with this. I understand she's supposed to be some badass and gone through some terrible stuff, but we've had 0 exposition on that and probably won't until closer to the end of the season. I feel most of her scenes could be replaced with a stern looking cardboard cutout, then get a stunt double for fights.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
But May and Bobbi fit two completely different roles and the only thing they have in common is the fact that they're both women who kick rear end. May's there to balance Coulson, she's his second in command and his most trusted ally. She's the stern mom to his fun loving dad that lets you taste beer when you're way too young.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

JT Smiley posted:

But May and Bobbi fit two completely different roles
I'm still convinced that Bobbi's actual role is "Brainwashed Double Agent for Hydra."
Which would likely lead to some Bobbi vs. May action at some point.

I hope.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 14, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Robot Hobo posted:

I'm still convinced that Bobbi's actual role is "Brainwashed Double Agent for Hydra."

She ends up going to a support group where she meets Clint.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

bobkatt013 posted:

She ends up going to a support group where she meets Clint.
If Natasha can perform a cognitive re-calibration on Clint harsh enough snap him out of the thrall of an Asgardian god of deceit wielding what may or may not be the infinity mind gem on a stick, I'm sure May can deliver a head-bashing strong enough to crack Hydra's hold on Bobbi.

Hydra's brainwashing still could be related to the aforementioned Loki-pokey stick, now that I think about it. We know Hydra has that and is doing human experiments on it. Perhaps in the same way that they harnessed the tesseract's power to fuel their guns, they were able to borrow some of the mind control power from Loki's staff to use elsewhere.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

|Ziggy| posted:

No, she always wears heels and it's dumb. Some of the ones they give her are worse than others. I never noticed until she started high heel kicking people in the face more recently either. Just google image search "agent may agents of shield" and look at her feet.

Is that, perhaps, a concession to her height? The almighty Go'Ogle says she's 5'4".

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

JT Smiley posted:

But May and Bobbi fit two completely different roles and the only thing they have in common is the fact that they're both women who kick rear end. May's there to balance Coulson, she's his second in command and his most trusted ally. She's the stern mom to his fun loving dad that lets you taste beer when you're way too young.

The excuse that she is written to be boring is not a very good one.

My point on comparing the two is that they have created a badass female character who is not boring in Bobbi, proving that it is totally humanly possible. I wish I watched all of those CSIs and Law and orders now to see if there are multiple other bad rear end female types who aren't emotionless. I'm sure at least one of those shows has to have pulled it off.

Alternatively, and funnily enough, there is also Xena to reference.

Edit: The Summer Glau was an actual robot on Sarah Connor Chronicles and it didn't feel anywhere near as annoying. Even she felt like she had more character. I don't blame May's actress though. Its bad writing and direction.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 14, 2014

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is that, perhaps, a concession to her height? The almighty Go'Ogle says she's 5'4".

Probably. Bobbi doesn't wear heals, but she is tall. Scarlett Johansson does in the Avenger's movies. It's not something new, and it's pretty widespread across shows/movies. I just don't like it.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ToastyPotato posted:

The excuse that she is written to be boring is not a very good one.

My point on comparing the two is that they have created a badass female character who is not boring in Bobbi, proving that it is totally humanly possible. I wish I watched all of those CSIs and Law and orders now to see if there are multiple other bad rear end female types who aren't emotionless. I'm sure at least one of those shows has to have pulled it off.

I know what you're saying, I just don't agree at all. I don't find May boring at all, and love the contrast she has with the rest of the group.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The excuse for May being one-note is presumably that, as illustrated here, that note is a fairly popular one.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

|Ziggy| posted:

Probably. Bobbi doesn't wear heals, but she is tall. Scarlett Johansson does in the Avenger's movies. It's not something new, and it's pretty widespread across shows/movies. I just don't like it.

She's not really wearing debilitating heels though.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ming-Na Wen, and therefore May, will always have a special place in my heart because she was Mulan, the best Disney princess. Mulan owns.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I totally missed the Punisher/Microchip thing; was it just totally throwaway?

Also, I think this show has broken me. Anytime I hear or see the word Tahiti, my mind immediately fills in the "it's a magical place" line. They've had it as the clue/answer on Jeopardy a lot lately, which is either a coincidence or I used to be a S.H.I.E.L.D agent and was resurrected.

I'll let someone know if I start carving symbols...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

I just re-watched that fight the other day and it was even better than I remembered. Seriously how can someone not like May after she stapled Ward to the ground and roundhouse kicked him in the face?

Don't forget the punch to the throat. It meant Coulson got to verbally own Ward later and Ward quite literally COULDN'T say a drat thing.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Quasipox posted:

Also, I think this show has broken me. Anytime I hear or see the word Tahiti, my mind immediately fills in the "it's a magical place" line. They've had it as the clue/answer on Jeopardy a lot lately, which is either a coincidence or I used to be a S.H.I.E.L.D agent and was resurrected.

I finally started watching The Flash last night. When Caitlin mentioned Tahiti I expected her to justify it with "It's a magical place".

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Robot Hobo posted:

I hope.

I think you're right. Which is sad, because I'm enjoying Bobbi on the show, but it makes sense given the way Whitehall's HYDRA branch works. It's also probably how Bakshi gets free...he'll pull the "Compliance will be Rewarded" bit on Bobbi and she'll bust him loose.

That said, since Simmons knows the code phrase to control people who've been Fousted, it's pretty dumb that Coulson and Company haven't given the Compliance speech to everyone at the base. Anyone who locks up? They're brainwashed, time to try and de-program them!

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Quasipox posted:

I used to be a S.H.I.E.L.D agent and was resurrected.
No worries. You saw the finished city diagram in the latest episode, so you're inoculated now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Robot Hobo posted:

I hope.

You masturbate enough.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

twistedmentat posted:

You masturbate enough.
You're not the boss of me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Quasipox posted:

Throwaway line; Near the start of the episode, when Skye is about to show Coulson pictures of the murder with the symbols "One of my sources, Micro, hes kind of a crime scene junkie, he came across something"

Aika
Mar 12, 2008

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SEAL THE EXITS!!!

ToastyPotato posted:

As someone who loves procedurals (and is not ashamed), let me give you a rundown of what I remember.

The NCIS franchise have badass women with senses of humor (see Zhiva from the mothership, and Kenzi from Los Angeles). Zhiva specifically had a lot of personal development over the years and is stoic, but not emotionless.
Person of Interest has the trope played straight (Shaw), but also Det. Carter (a normal person who happens to have been a badass military interrogator) and Root (Root is basically Fox Mulder turned up to 11 but chasing after Neurmancer instead of aliens)
Fringe had Olivia Dunham from both universe A and B, both having different personalities, neither of which (excluding the begining of season 1 and first half of season 4) are emotionless.
Arrow obviously has Sarah Lance, who is a total badass and relatively human.
Law and Order's ADAs usually fall into this trope in all of the shows, but stand outs who had personality and emotions were ADA Abbie Carmichael (played by Angie Harmon) and ADA Alexandra Cabot (played by Stephanie March)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aika posted:

ADA Alexandra Cabot (played by Stephanie March)

Is this because she is a lesbian?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Being no nonsense and results driven is not a lack of personality, its just a personality you don't like. They've shown other aspects of her character, like how she planned to take Coulson to a cabin and take care of him if he went insane, how she's warmed up to Skye and given her positive feedback. We've now seen her in covert ops and the personas she can craft. Once she's in a fight she's a little cocky.

She's cool, and a really strong character in my opinion. Whatever her mysterious past is isn't all that important because it's clear she's over it.

Aika
Mar 12, 2008

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SEAL THE EXITS!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Is this because she is a lesbian?

No, the lesbian's a different character -- Serena Southerlyn (played by Elisabeth Röhm) who I had blocked from my memory.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It doesn't hurt that the fighting choreography has improved immensely this season. It was getting better by the end of Season 1 with Ward taking on all those grunts in the Hub hallway, and then May vs Ward, but everything seems to have a lot more impact and it's fun to watch May kick the poo poo out of people.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

greatn posted:

Being no nonsense and results driven is not a lack of personality, its just a personality you don't like. They've shown other aspects of her character, like how she planned to take Coulson to a cabin and take care of him if he went insane, how she's warmed up to Skye and given her positive feedback. We've now seen her in covert ops and the personas she can craft. Once she's in a fight she's a little cocky.

She's a hardass mother figure. These aren't different aspects of her character, they're different expressions of the same aspect.

Dreylad posted:

It doesn't hurt that the fighting choreography has improved immensely this season. It was getting better by the end of Season 1 with Ward taking on all those grunts in the Hub hallway, and then May vs Ward, but everything seems to have a lot more impact and it's fun to watch May kick the poo poo out of people.

Absolutely. She's a lousy character that they slot into some of the better stuff in the show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A hardass mother character is not a lousy character just because you want a whedonesque bantering one liner character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

greatn posted:

A hardass mother character is not a lousy character just because you want a whedonesque bantering one liner character.

Sweet jesus is that not what I want.

Anyways, I'm not attached to "lousy" except as it relates to my own personal reaction. But it's demonstrably the case that she's one-note, even if she's mothering to both Coulson and Skye.

• Locked thread