Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jaramin posted:

This seems like the sort of development all of the spirits who've inevitably settled in that swamp are not likely to be pleased about.

Kuvira's already turning spirits into living bombs. Odds are they're already pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I'm predicting a horrible backfire on par with the giant glowing fish monster of avatar s1 finale.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I bet the spirit of the tree will possess Kuvira and turn her into some kind of... avatar.

Your move, Korra. :smug:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If it was just a matter of getting through the checkpoint, why couldn't they have just ... you know... tunneled under it? They have a very talented earthbender with them, after all.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I feel like that would make a lot of noise, be incredibly exhausting, and there's a chance someone might notice the earth moving underneath them somehow. There's also the possibility that the walls extend downward as much as they do upward.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Oh man, I just hope Toph continues to rage on with her hate for blimps and just takes them all down.

Yeah, I do sort of wish we had another few episodes to play around with what they're doing with Team avatar right now. That interaction between even just three of them was very much missed.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Who here remembers the ending of Warcraft 3? Something like that happening would be p cool.

The end of WC3 for reference

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Hauldren Collider posted:

I'm predicting a horrible backfire on par with the giant glowing fish monster of avatar s1 finale.

Honestly, this might be the more interesting way for things to develop, especially if Kuvira doesn't get demolished but has to run away. Maybe Bataar Jr. gets possessed, I dunno, but Kuvira has to go to Korra for help for something military might cannot accomplish, showing she's willing to change and not stand stubbornly while the ground crumbles out from beneath her feet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Blimps are Toph's Kryptonite. And her grandson is there. And it's her home, and she was mentioned as living there this episode. I'm worried.

That was a loving good episode. The "driver's seat" gag was incredible.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Bongo Bill posted:

The "driver's seat" gag was incredible.

Yeah, holy poo poo.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just watched the episode. God drat this has been the worst season so far. Korra is so pathetic and lame. Her recovery plot arc should have been resolved by episode 4, imo.

Caros
May 14, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Just watched the episode. God drat this has been the worst season so far. Korra is so pathetic and lame. Her recovery plot arc should have been resolved by episode 4, imo.

You did see season 2, right?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Rincewind posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo.

I must've missed it. What was the drivers seat gag?

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Gymer posted:

Speaking of Toph and how awesome she is I came across these art tumblr posts earlier today of Toph being awesomely funny.

a little one with Toph with Su and

A funny scene between Toph and Katara.

Yeah, makani is great. She does the official Valve TF2/Dota comics and I'd love for her to be brought on board for whatever Korra comics end up happening. Or at least take some of her 'headcannon story-sketch' comics through to completion.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
One of the things I'm surprised no one's mentioned is how Bolin's getting some actual character growth. I think he's finally getting a sense of the greater impact of his actions and why that matters. He basically only jokes around his brother and when he's nervous now, which is probably also true for season 3 - it was worse in season 3 since his jokes were really poorly done and made him seem stupid rather than just very worried. Anyone think I'm onto something?

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I think we can all agree, the next book should be called Legend of Bolin and Varrick.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

PiedPiper posted:

I think we can all agree, the next book should be called Legend of Bolin and Varrick.

And it should basically be Metal Gear Bolin, with Varrick providing tech support as Bolin tries to track down and destroy spirit nukes and giant robots.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I must admit, I have no idea what they mean either... Please explaaaaaiiiin

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

VanSandman posted:

It's when Varrick offers to carry Bolin on his back (quote : "All right, I'll take the driver's seat for a while. Hop on!"), and he, like every mount in the series, strains under the earthbender's weight. And he just manages one step before they fall for the escapees' trap.

VanSandman posted:

One of the things I-'m surprised no one's mentioned is how Bolin's getting some actual character growth. Anyone think I'm onto something.
I believe this is an evidence :) . As of right now, Bolin is basically the co-star of this season, and I don't think it can be argued that he's had the biggest, best action scenes so far. They've shown his growth as a person now that he and Mako are separated, they've shown his massive improvement when it comes to bending (seriously, he probably could take Ghazan now), they've made a call back to Book 2 and how inspirational he can be with words, etc.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Bolin's gonna rip his shirt off dramatically at some point and reveal he is insanely and brutally ripped, isn't he.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Bolin's gonna rip his shirt off dramatically at some point and reveal he is insanely and brutally ripped, isn't he.
Hasn't he already done that? The pool scene in Book 1, as well as his Nuktuk costume in Book 2, already showed off his physique, and he is ripped. He is on, like, Major Alex Louis Armstrong's level.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

X_Toad posted:

Hasn't he already done that? The pool scene in Book 1, as well as his Nuktuk costume in Book 2, already showed off his physique, and he is ripped. He is on, like, Major Alex Louis Armstrong's level.

Bolin has been the wacky comic relief but it's important to remember that he's been a professional athlete, a mover star, and a soldier. And he's also an earthbender, who tend towards being hella ripped.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Clip of next week's episode, called Remembrances up! Looks like we're going to see a return of the romance subplot, just when this season was going so well. Also, given the title, we might get some Kuvira backstory.

Also, I've just realized I find Mako and Bolin's grandmother incredibly annoying.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Kuvira's parents were killed by anarchists so she devoted her life to subjecting others to her authority and will.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Kuvira's parents were killed by anarchists so she devoted her life to subjecting others to her authority and will.

Firebender anarchists.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
EDIT: nvm

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kuvira should've followed this guys advice:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

enraged_camel posted:

You're pretty dumb, tbh.
You really can't appreciate the fact that she's an extremely inexperienced Avatar who got her poo poo pushed in and was also horribly tortured? It's going to take a very long time for her to recover from it mentally and physically.

I think the show has serious balls to extend the arc this long considering it's the last season, but I'm also confident that it'll make her recovery that much more amazing.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 15, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Deakul posted:

You're pretty dumb, tbh.
You really can't appreciate the fact that she's an extremely inexperienced Avatar who got her poo poo pushed in and was also horribly tortured? It's going to take a very long time for her to recover from it mentally and physically.

I think the show has serious balls to extend the arc this long considering it's the last season, but I'm also confident that it'll make her recovery that much more amazing.

Inexperienced? The other stuff you said is valid, but compared to the last avatar we saw she's way more experienced. Aang had way less combat experience than she did and he started training with all four elements way later than her. She's rusty and lacking confidence, not inexperienced.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

enraged_camel posted:

I was a bit annoyed by how worthless she's been in combat as well, but she did pretty drat well this past episode and actually seems to be getting over her trauma bit by bit instead of dragging it out to the final episodes like I had feared. And I definitely wouldn't call this the worst season over season 2.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Slime posted:

Inexperienced? The other stuff you said is valid, but compared to the last avatar we saw she's way more experienced. Aang had way less combat experience than she did and he started training with all four elements way later than her. She's rusty and lacking confidence, not inexperienced.

I meant inexperienced at what it means to be an avatar.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sato posted:

Clip of next week's episode, called Remembrances up! Looks like we're going to see a return of the romance subplot, just when this season was going so well. Also, given the title, we might get some Kuvira backstory.

Also, I've just realized I find Mako and Bolin's grandmother incredibly annoying.
Okay, whatever problems I've had with Prince Wu were completely forgiven with the line "I'm not like you, Mako. I wasn't raised by a pack of cops in the woods."
Amazing.

Also I don't think we're getting the romance plot return. Mike and Bryan have said they know people don't like what they do with it, and there's nothing in Mako's voice that suggests anything but total acceptance.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 15, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

That was a loving good episode.
The Bolin/Varrick parts, sure. Korra getting punked once again by the big baddie is really stupid now.
Remember in TLAB when the Avatar state really meant something and made people go "holy poo poo!"? In TLoK, not so much.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Vincent posted:

Remember in TLAB when the Avatar state really meant something and made people go "holy poo poo!"? In TLoK, not so much.

Yes, that is one of the plot points.

And it hasn't always been the case, anyways. Even when she was poisoned, underestimating the Avatar state was the biggest oversight that the Red Lotus made, and you could tell they knew they were in trouble as soon as she started ripping boulders out of the ceiling.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay, whatever problems I've had with Prince Wu were completely forgiven with the line "I'm not like you, Mako. I wasn't raised by a pack of cops in the woods."
Amazing.

Also I don't think we're getting the romance plot return. Mike and Bryan have said they know people don't like what they do with it, and there's nothing in Mako's voice that suggests anything but total acceptance.

FIRST SPOILER: oh my god that's the best line

SECOND SPOILER: the only romance I will accept is Korrasami

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

VanSandman posted:

Personally I hope they're basically equals, or nearly so - if Toph has to try and guard the tree, maybe Kuvira can get some shots in she wouldn't otherwise. Hell, maybe Toph succeeds in protecting the tree, and Kuvira has to go to republic city to get more vines or something.

That or Kuvira is forced to retreat, but not before gathering enough material for a few Hiroshima-level bombs.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Cockmaster posted:

That or Kuvira is forced to retreat, but not before gathering enough material for a few Hiroshima-level bombs.

Korra dies after Airbending away the force of Kuvira's spirit bomb blast.

If Korra is the last Avatar (in a way, she already is), I will cry. :cry:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think one of the big flaws of the Avatar shows, including TLA, is that the use of the Avatar state has been proscribed through plot devices. Aang and Korra are always stricken with some malady that prevents them from going super-Avatar at will.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

hiddenriverninja posted:

Korra dies after Airbending away the force of Kuvira's spirit bomb blast.

If Korra is the last Avatar (in a way, she already is), I will cry. :cry:
She will fly up and then before her heroic sacrifice says "Superman" to herself. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Baron Bifford posted:

I think one of the big flaws of the Avatar shows, including TLA, is that the use of the Avatar state has been proscribed through plot devices. Aang and Korra are always stricken with some malady that prevents them from going super-Avatar at will.

It's necessary to preserve the drama. The avatar state is powerful; we got tastes of what a fully realized, experience avatar is capable of in TLA when we saw Roku's flashbacks of him blowing up Sozin's palace, nailing him to a 60 foot tall pillar of rock, and scaring him so shitless he stopped his expansion plan for decades until Roku finally kicked it. Avatar state Aang also laid out Ozai like a total chump, despite Ozai easily being one of the strongest benders in the world at time time, and also working with super enhanced bending as a result of the comet.

You just can't have your main character walking around with that level of power, because if you did there would be no story. Aang could have just pulled a Roku and stormed Ozai's stronghold, murdering him with ease. Hell, the first episode of season 2 is about an Earth Kingdom general who has that exact idea. But TLA had a strong message that the way in which you do something is just as important as doing it at all, which is why Aang struggled with choosing power over love, and why even when Aang finally did get the full power of the avatar state at the end, he chose not to use it for the decisive blow. I really do think TLA did a good job of creating plausible reasons why Aang could or would not use the avatar state.

For Korra, it's a little more complicated because Korra is a) already fully realized in theory and b) not the kind of person with a personality that would hold back on using that kind of power. In season 2 they tried having no excuse, and that fell flat because it made no sense that a fully realized avatar with mastery of all elements and full access to the avatar state would lose cold to some chump waterbender. So in season 3 instead Korra just never had a straight up fight. She's always drugged, or poisoned, or tied up, so even at her full power the villains were still a legitimate thread because of the handicap. I think that actually worked pretty well, and it came off more as the villains being smart than Korra being weak. Now in season 4 they're almost doing a reversal: Korra has gotten nothing but straight up fights, but she keeps losing anyway because her internal struggles keep her from reaching her full potential. It's an interesting concept and I do like it, but I feel like this one does come across a little to much like Korra is weaker than she should be. I reserve judgement until the end of the season & seeing how Korra eventually overcomes her problems.

But yeah, my point is that if you're going to have something like the avatar state, you have to either contrive reasons that it can't be used, or massively scale up the power of the antagonists, because otherwise it becomes an instant-win button that destroys the narrative.

• Locked thread