Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harp is butterflies only. For other reveal enemies situations you need the Recorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Note that there are a few instances where it is a bush that needs the recorder. So if you've used a compass and it shows a bush and you use a candle that fails, you need to use a recorder. Those ones were dumb.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Free Drinks posted:

Note that there are a few instances where it is a bush that needs the recorder. So if you've used a compass and it shows a bush and you use a candle that fails, you need to use a recorder. Those ones were dumb.

Yeah I wasted a candle on one.

Regy Rusty posted:

Harp is butterflies only. For other reveal enemies situations you need the Recorder.

Alright, just wanted confirmation on using Recorders, thanks.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Free Drinks posted:

Yeah, but on the upside you can get the compass and wasted candle back by turning off your game real quick.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think everyone is forgetting that if Maple were a playable character we'd have vacuum cleaner based combat.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I think everyone is forgetting that if Maple were a playable character we'd have vacuum cleaner based combat.

Sold. Nintendo, please take my money.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really wish there were some maps (or maybe just rare Network Links) that would give a grab bag of Item Cards. Or just let me buy them with rupees! Grinding made me lose interest in the game. I know it's really not much total time, but it annoyed me a lot.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Martman posted:

I really wish there were some maps (or maybe just rare Network Links) that would give a grab bag of Item Cards. Or just let me buy them with rupees! Grinding made me lose interest in the game. I know it's really not much total time, but it annoyed me a lot.

Yeah it's really annoying to have high leveled characters but still only have two special attack meters, and hardly any defense badges, because everyone wants 2 silver boss materials in every category. The only boss material that I actually have any of is Dodongo because Ruto is the only one who uses it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Link uses Dodongo as well

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

gently caress no, this is horrible and I hate you for thinking it.

To be clear, what I was actually saying is "I hate Maple and everything about her."

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Hope I'm not to late to the party, lease add me Kiralin. I need more Network links, please.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Yeah it's really annoying to have high leveled characters but still only have two special attack meters, and hardly any defense badges, because everyone wants 2 silver boss materials in every category. The only boss material that I actually have any of is Dodongo because Ruto is the only one who uses it.

The gold materials are the worst. Even with materials+ they seem to be absurdly rare, and there's no mixture to boost their drop rate. I still haven't even seen a lot of them. Even worse is that I don't think there's any way to reduce the chance of the boss dropping a weapon instead of a material, which can be quite frustrating.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

NiceAaron posted:

You've bought all of the combo badges for the summoning gate, right?

That's what I figured I did, but I went back and checked and I had bought everything. I tried again today and it worked so there was either a bug or I have terrible luck.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

mabels big day posted:

All the people who need the dragon are the hardest because it's in barely any stages.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Taear posted:

All the people who need the dragon are the hardest because it's in barely any stages.

There's a quick easy Adventure map where you fight two of them and a Manhandla.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Taear posted:

It's so bizarre to me that they decided Argorok was like the "hard" boss, so they use him sparingly, when they put both Manhandla and The Imprisoned all over the drat place when both of them are much harder to defeat without taking hits.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Flytrap posted:

There's a quick easy Adventure map where you fight two of them and a Manhandla.

Where?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Up and a little right of the middle, it has a Hookshot as its reward. I guess at G11?

\/ Or B 11 I guess. Never was good with charts.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668508&pagenumber=82&perpage=40#post437359142

And yeah, both the Adventure Map and Master Quest levels with the 2 Argorok's and 1 Manhandla are pretty easy to do in 3 minutes or less.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668508&pagenumber=82&perpage=40#post437359142

And yeah, both the Adventure Map and Master Quest levels with the 2 Argorok's and 1 Manhandla are pretty easy to do in 3 minutes or less.

Oh I'm not up there yet, the levels around require As to progress.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
I'll probably not play this game any time soon, as I know zero people who own the console, but this just basically seems like a weird and grindy Dynasty Warriors game.

That's fine with me, as I love Dynasty Warriors game. I just don't know if I'm missing something else to it other than "GET SHEIK HER COOL WEAPON" and nothing else. In the LP era, as it were, I'd like to know if it's worth waiting/hoping for a good LP here, or if some random youtube poo poo will give me the idea without waiting for someone with standards to do the thing.

E: I guess my question is if there is a coherent narrative, or is it just fanservice "PLUG MARIO INTO ZELDA" type things.

cucka fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 15, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Seems to me like it would be a pretty boring kind of game to watch an LP of. There's a lot of variety in the characters and levels, but it would still be repetetive to watch if you're not experiencing the gradual improvement it takes to beat difficult stages.

Anyway there is a story mode, and it's decent, but it is very short. The story is nothing special but is entertaining. There's plenty of fanservice but all Zelda fanservice - no Mario involved. :v:

The majority of the game is spent in the story-less Adventure mode which is all about unlocking things and beating a wide variety of different challenges.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

cucka posted:

I'll probably not play this game any time soon, as I know zero people who own the console, but this just basically seems like a weird and grindy Dynasty Warriors game.

That's fine with me, as I love Dynasty Warriors game. I just don't know if I'm missing something else to it other than "GET SHEIK HER COOL WEAPON" and nothing else. In the LP era, as it were, I'd like to know if it's worth waiting/hoping for a good LP here, or if some random youtube poo poo will give me the idea without waiting for someone with standards to do the thing.

E: I guess my question is if there is a coherent narrative, or is it just fanservice "PLUG MARIO INTO ZELDA" type things.

Why does it matter if you don't know anyone who owns a Wii U?

If you love Dynasty Warriors, and you like Zelda, you will like this game. I wouldn't be grinding out all the collectables in the game if it wasn't just fun to run around killing enemies in fun ways.

The story mode is just kind of there for the sake of having a campaign. I mean it's not bad, it introduces the characters and the map scenarios, but the real meat of the game is the Adventure mode.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Against my better judgement I've been toying with materials grinding this morning, and I already hate it. I thought I'd start with setting myself a reasonable goal of getting everyone the third Special Attack Guage badge. Mostly that just involved getting a bunch of Argorok embers, which wasn't so bad. But now for one of the last two I need Midna's Fused Shadow and man is that proving annoying. I did that one defeat all enemies level with Midna and 3 Agithas, and over 6 attempts not a single Fused Shadow dropped, and only one of Agitha's Pendants did.

This is why I hate random drops, I should really just forget it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Against my better judgement I've been toying with materials grinding this morning, and I already hate it. I thought I'd start with setting myself a reasonable goal of getting everyone the third Special Attack Guage badge. Mostly that just involved getting a bunch of Argorok embers, which wasn't so bad. But now for one of the last two I need Midna's Fused Shadow and man is that proving annoying. I did that one defeat all enemies level with Midna and 3 Agithas, and over 6 attempts not a single Fused Shadow dropped, and only one of Agitha's Pendants did.

I've actually had the opposite happen. I have so many goddamn Fused Shadows even after using them for badges that they've just become apothecary fodder.

Know what would be a really cool online feature? Material trading.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Honestly when you reach a high-enough level, specials don't mean much, just faster clearing. I've got most of my materials from completing the first adventure map, and I'll probably get a lot from the Master Quest one v:v:v

e: I remembered The Imprisoned is a thing. Yeah having 3 bars owns.

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 15, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Regy Rusty posted:

You had a weapon with Materials+, yeah?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You had a weapon with Materials+, yeah?

Of course. I was also careful not to use weapons with Slots+ or Stars+.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Oh does that bump the weapons drop rate?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Naerasa posted:

I don't think anyone has provided evidence one way or the other if using Slots+ and Stars+ affects the rate at which materials are dropped. I'd assume weapon dropping and material dropping were independent of each other.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

mabels big day posted:

Why does it matter if you don't know anyone who owns a Wii U?

If you love Dynasty Warriors, and you like Zelda, you will like this game. I wouldn't be grinding out all the collectables in the game if it wasn't just fun to run around killing enemies in fun ways.

The story mode is just kind of there for the sake of having a campaign. I mean it's not bad, it introduces the characters and the map scenarios, but the real meat of the game is the Adventure mode.

I was asking for the sake of watching an LP of it because while I'd love to play this game, I'm not buying a WiiU to play a dynasty warriors clone.

And the third line was what I was mainly asking about. Is there an actual narrative/Coherent story going on or is it all just "LINK! LISTEN! You're on a new map, kill the bad guys go!"

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There's a coherent story, yeah. It's not good, but it's coherent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Naerasa posted:

No idea. But if it has any effect whatsoever I wanted to avoid it.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

cucka posted:

I was asking for the sake of watching an LP of it because while I'd love to play this game, I'm not buying a WiiU to play a dynasty warriors clone.

And the third line was what I was mainly asking about. Is there an actual narrative/Coherent story going on or is it all just "LINK! LISTEN! You're on a new map, kill the bad guys go!"

I'm struggling to find the reason why you are interested in the game. I may be mistaken, but you seem very dismissive about the game, and apparently aren't ever going to play it, but you want to watch an LP of the game, but it isn't the kind of game that takes to being an LP very well. It's like wanting an LP of Disgaea's post-endgame where you grind that one 3x3 space enemy mission literally hundreds of times to grind transmog stats. :psyduck:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cucka posted:

You should buy a Wii U because it is a good system with a lot of fun games.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

cucka posted:

There's a coherent storyline that is better than most people give it credit for - it's not in-depth or anything but it's perfectly serviceable at pacing the plot and introducing the wide cast of characters. It also handled the Zelda cast and comedic references well, including things like a fairy named Proxi that speaks for Link and some neat lines (the best of which is Zelda/Impa's exchange: "I must hurry to the Fairy Fountain!" "Princess Zelda, it's dangerous to go alone. Take me!"). The DLC has another storyline that expands on the villain's side which is apparently hilarious but I haven't gotten to that yet. Still trying to finish the first Adventure Map, would probably be easier if I wasn't trying to A-rank every stage as I go.

And you know a Wii U with NintendoLand is $200 from Nintendo, right? Edit: What Regy Rusty said.

Speaking of calling this a "Dynasty Warriors clone" (because it's not like they've done this with Gundam, One Piece, etc. Remember when FPSes used to be called Doom-clones?), for people that have experience with other games in that series how does this compare? I hear it's more officer/boss focused, the only one with a Z-targeting like system, and of course the only one with Zelda-like item usage. I imagine that has a huge impact on the way the game plays overall.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I honestly don't see what almost anybody sees in any Let's Play, but if you're a Dynasty Warriors fan, you know just about how well a Warriors game would hold up in a LP video. The story moments are people cartoonishly wielding their power at one another. Maybe just find a video that has all the opening and closing narrations as well as the cut scenes in Legend Mode? I don't know what you're looking for. But buy a Wii U anyway.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I really do wish there was a mix to increase the rate of material drops or something, because it's irritating trying to get the Dodongo Crystal, going into that one Adventure Mode map with the three Dodongos, and getting three loving weapons I don't need.

Supposedly Hero difficulty in the story mode makes it easier to get rare materials but that means you have to waste fifteen to twenty minutes doing a stage for one shot at say, Ganon's rare materials.

EDIT: Also I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch an LP of this because the story, while it works, is pretty much fanfiction tier and the stages aren't interesting to watch.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 16, 2014

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Twelve by Pies posted:

Supposedly Hero difficulty in the story mode makes it easier to get rare materials

In my limited experience, that has absolutely not been in the case. Hero modes have proven to be nothing but a tremendous waste of time. I didn't get any good mats from the ones I did and the weapons weren't any great shakes either. Total bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

cucka posted:

I wouldn't call the story "coherent", but yeah there's dialogue.

Also buy a Wii U.

• Locked thread