Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

samglover posted:

This is one of the best posts we did while we still owned Bitter Lawyer: http://www.bitterlawyer.com/ride-a-bicycle-drunk/

That's fantastic, I knew MN would be progressive but Oregon is shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

pays to be jewish :getin:

So, how excited are you for the upcoming shutdown in a few weeks?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

wrap it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcCsTyh-DsM

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

The first 2 minutes of this video is some of the best stuff I've ever heard.

Syntax is on the table.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I just rando-clicked on one of his other videos, at a rando-time, and got, "and 2012 is just around the corner, and soon, the entire world is going to communicate in mathematical truths and syntax is going to be on the table. And right after that, somebody's gonna come knocking, from another world, and if we don't communicate truthfully with them, in sytnax, they're going to hurdle a giant rock the size of Texas at us at 44,000 miles an hour if we're not truthful."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
His cell phone and email address are at the bottom of his home page. http://dwmlc.com/

I don't have the guts.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 14, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Isn't this the same guy who claims that he hasn't aged a day past 20 since he was involved in some car accident?

EDIT: My bad, he says it was aliens.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 14, 2014

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

I'm tired of FRCP 12(f). Can we talk about something else now?

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

The Lawyerist chatroom is very amused.

This is enlightening: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/David_Wynn_Miller

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

samglover posted:

The Lawyerist chatroom is very amused.

This is enlightening: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/David_Wynn_Miller

I've never seen wikiwand before. When did this become a thing?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

So, how excited are you for the upcoming shutdown in a few weeks?

I got a promotion to GS-14 on Wednesday and to celebrate I started sending out my resume

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

ActusRhesus posted:

Dude, Defleshed, you may want to pop in over at the LT Kaffee thread in GiP...

someone is claiming that "an actual military prosecutor" told him that plea agreements are viewed disfavorably in mil jus and military judges don't like them used.

uh...whut? because I'd say about 80% of my cases both as trial and defense counsel ended in a PTA.

Yeah I just now read that. Not sure how anyone who has practiced military justice for more than 5 minutes would ever have that impression. I loving love plea deals because trials are a pain in the rear end and a gamble. Judges love them because they don't have to do anything.

e: I enjoyed the discussion over the past couple pages regarding rape/sexual assault allegations. The whole subject is broadly fascinating to me and there are so many things that directly and indirectly influence people's perceptions of the process. Having spent the past two years in my own corner of the massive media attention on the military's sexual assault "problem", I have a ton of thoughts on it that someday I want to organize into some academic work.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 15, 2014

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

ouch.

I am increasingly grateful that our local bar tends to have a very amicable approach to waiving objections to motions for extension of time, and the courts are pretty generous about granting them. (This of course may also explain why our docket is so backlogged.)

(at least that's the case on the criminal side. I have no idea what it's like for civil)

Judges seem to give criminal cases a higher priority.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

Monday myself and my mentor have a mediation. There are 7 parties. It begins at 9 AM. At around 10:30 PM we go a little crazy and the mediator is not present. So we break into his snack closet and start eating his snacks and cackling hysterically because they're so loving stale. He walks in and overhears us cracking up and talking poo poo about his stale rear end snacks.

So then we find a tub of Legos and start building. And mentor starts building a wall and looks at me.
'What're you building?"
"gently caress your wall, I'm building a dick"
"I'll make you some balls"
So we build a giant lego cock and balls on the mediator's conference table.

And since the mediator is in the crazy party's room for 4 hours, other attorneys wander in because we've been cordial. And they stay. And they help us build lego dicks and tell me stories about being in Atlanta in the 80s and chasing tail.

$2,000 an hour to build Lego dicks between 6 attorneys. All of it billable.

I went to a mediation seminar recently and all of the mediators seemed much happier than the lawyers in the audience... now I know why. I've been thinking about getting accredited over the summer as a plan b incase I don't end up getting a scholarship for my bar equivalent year.

Speaking of is it better to have a lame rear end reference from a law tutor or a possibly lame rear end one from a non-law employer? My undergrad (non-law) tutor and a biglaw acquaintance have agreed to give me references too, and I know they'll be really good. The law tutor agreed before I applied and has now changed their mind now I've submitted it. None of my results for the year will be released before the absolute deadline for references, so they say they won't have anything to write about. I spoke to the people doing the scholarships and they'll let me change a reference, but I'm just worried it'll look really bad and be enough to sink me, along with my 'colourful educational past' (mature student).

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Lawyers, folks: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...42a2_story.html

quote:

But the prosecutor said that this was no ordinary burglary — it was something more sordid: revenge. And that the alleged perpetrators were a pair of lawyers, one of whom was angry over her recent dismissal from Fisher’s Arlington County firm, Bean, Kinney & Korman.

Bizarrely, after the alleged suspects, Andrew and Alecia Schmuhl, fled, police found Andrew Schmuhl wearing only a diaper, authorities said. The Schmuhls, who are married, live in Springfield.

They both graduated from Valparaiso University Law School in 2009, the school said.

Go to Valpo, get life in prison for torture.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Tetrix posted:

Lawyers, folks: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...42a2_story.html

Go to Valpo, get life in prison for torture.

The diaper is the best part. Cause why not?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: husband/wife attorneys = bad news.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: husband/wife attorneys = bad news.

Every pair I've met are loving terrible.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

Every pair I've met are loving terrible.
I disagree to an extent, but every successful lawyer couple I know involves at least one defense attorney (including the fabled DA-PD marriage).
I think it is civil lawyers who are the problem. I tell all my friends not to date lawyers though.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

nm posted:

I disagree to an extent, but every successful lawyer couple I know involves at least one defense attorney (including the fabled DA-PD marriage).
I think it is civil lawyers who are the problem. I tell all my friends not to date lawyers though.

One of my co-workers is married to a defense attorney. They're ok. Actually, I only know her by her (good) reputation, but he's freaking awesome.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Daniels and Pearlman, hell yeah

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

One of my co-workers is married to a defense attorney. They're ok. Actually, I only know her by her (good) reputation, but he's freaking awesome.

I do believe it is a requirement though that married lawyers not work in the same office. Any married couple attorneys who are partners are insufferable.

They weren't friends but the prenda law couple went to my law school and they were terrible even then.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nm posted:

I do believe it is a requirement though that married lawyers not work in the same office. Any married couple attorneys who are partners are insufferable.

They weren't friends but the prenda law couple went to my law school and they were terrible even then.

There's a married couple in my office both of whom are great, but they work in totally different practice groups.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm married to a prosecutor but there's no way in hell we'd work in the same office.

It might still end horribly, but so far so good?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The husband and wife team i was up against had no idea of the rule of civil procedure. Unfortunately, neither did I. So when the other half of the pair started questioning the witness the first had already questioned, the only name for the objection was what they taught me in law school:

"Objection, judge. One horse, one rider."

Thank god this was Texas and the judge busted up laughing and knew what I meant.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
We just say one lawyer per witness...but I like your version better.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

CaptainScraps posted:

"Objection, judge. One horse, one rider."

Oh man, I am totally using this next time.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
What do you folks think is the ideal way to handle ex parte letters to the judge? I'm not talking "inmate in the jail wanting to get out on funeral leave" letters. More like your classic family law "I have TERRIBLE SECRETS to tell you about the in-laws. Please don't tell them I told!" scenario.

I see a two major approaches:

1) Return with cover letter. Judge cannot read etc.
2) Provide to parties and file it.

Anything else? Best practices? I'm always looking for ways to make things easier, which is why I'm thinking about this stuff at midnight.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Alaemon posted:

What do you folks think is the ideal way to handle ex parte letters to the judge? I'm not talking "inmate in the jail wanting to get out on funeral leave" letters. More like your classic family law "I have TERRIBLE SECRETS to tell you about the in-laws. Please don't tell them I told!" scenario.

Anything else? Best practices? I'm always looking for ways to make things easier, which is why I'm thinking about this stuff at midnight.

In criminal law if they get a letter from a client they return it to the party's attorney. Otherwise, they provide a copy to both parties.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
So much for the repeat (gently caress you Mike Evans).

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

In criminal law if they get a letter from a client they return it to the party's attorney. Otherwise, they provide a copy to both parties.

We have a specific ex-parte rule. If the judge looks at the motion for ex-parte consideration and underlying motion and decides that the underlying motion should not be ex-parte, then the judge must give us the option of dissemination or withdrawal.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Kalman posted:

There's a married couple in my office both of whom are great, but they work in totally different practice groups.

Think of the children of such unions though.

[cut and paste every early 20th century quote about interracial marriage]

But seriously they may become lawyers.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

But seriously they may become lawyers.

It's true :cry:

Just read quite possibly the snottiest reply brief ever. To the point where I'm tempted to just go to argument and pull the "the state rests on its brief" card.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Someone in the league please trade me an RB or TE for some of my five retarded stacked WRs, only three of them can carry me to undeserved victories at a time and having 40+ points on my bench is wasteful

(I'll do an uneven one-for-one since I know WRs are more common but no two-for-ones unless its like Gronk or some poo poo)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Alaemon posted:

I think you gotta tell the Judge about it and let him decide. As a member of your Judge's Court, its not your job to keep secrets from him on behalf of crazy people, and you can't un-read it. Why should it be your responsibility to help ignorant people navigate legal practice?

Personally, if I was opposing Counsel, I would want to know the other side was trying to communicate ex parte, so my heart says "loving file it and make their violation public record."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Elotana posted:

Someone in the league please trade me an RB or TE for some of my five retarded stacked WRs, only three of them can carry me to undeserved victories at a time and having 40+ points on my bench is wasteful

(I'll do an uneven one-for-one since I know WRs are more common but no two-for-ones unless its like Gronk or some poo poo)

Which team are you?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Even respondent implicitly concedes that [Attorney X's] advice was wrong. Resp. Br. at 27-28. Astoundingly - after 27 pages of denying the plain fact that [Attorney X's] generic advice is legally incorrect - Respondent attempts to address his avoidance of the issue: "because the petitioner was fully aware that the court intended to impose a sentence of twenty-five years to serve, counsel's advice regarding parole eligibility, even if erroneous, amounts to nothing more than an estimate or prediction as to the actual time the petitioner might serve." Resp. Br. at 28. In doing so, Respondent finally admits the undeniable. How respondent could deny this for the preceding 27 pages, only to finally admit it, is perplexing, but based on this admission, petitioner submits that there is no contested issue between the parties."

:confused:

Has this guy seriously never heard of assumption in arguendo?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

blarzgh posted:

Which team are you?
Texas Style Depositions

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

"Even respondent implicitly concedes that [Attorney X's] advice was wrong. Resp. Br. at 27-28. Astoundingly - after 27 pages of denying the plain fact that [Attorney X's] generic advice is legally incorrect - Respondent attempts to address his avoidance of the issue: "because the petitioner was fully aware that the court intended to impose a sentence of twenty-five years to serve, counsel's advice regarding parole eligibility, even if erroneous, amounts to nothing more than an estimate or prediction as to the actual time the petitioner might serve." Resp. Br. at 28. In doing so, Respondent finally admits the undeniable. How respondent could deny this for the preceding 27 pages, only to finally admit it, is perplexing, but based on this admission, petitioner submits that there is no contested issue between the parties."

:confused:

Has this guy seriously never heard of assumption in arguendo?

I do that sometimes by accident, but usually catch it before it makes it out of my office. It looks like he did the thing where he thinks he's found a magic bullet in your brief: "crazy, ar admits that we should win!" In my experience it happens when I've skimmed something and started making assumptions. It's embarrassing as hell to do, especially if you run down to your partners office with a shiteating grin talking about how you solved the case, but missed the "assuming, arguendo...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

the whole thing is really smarmy.