Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BattleMaster posted:

You can make Doom music come out of anything that makes air vibrate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwtLXLGohIk

That's pretty loving sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh I didn't realize the FF Explorers demo was actually out already. I guess I'll try it and see if it's as bad as it looks.

Edit: It's worse. Let's just tick off some reasons this game is horrible:
Graphics, only one hit combo per weapon with no variation, no dodge move (unless there's a job that gets one in which case no over-arching dodge move), in place of tells the bosses just tell you in a text box what move they're going to use, classes that start without powerful moves (Monk) feel laughably pathetic next to ones that do (especially since one of the main mechanics of the game basically requires you to spam special moves over and over), the hit detection is hideous, gathering seems to take too long which would make sense if it put you in danger but in fact you are invulnerable while gathering so there's no reason for it to take as long as it does.

It's like a pre-PSO PSO, with the interesting combo system taken out and mundane material grinding shoved in. And it's uglier than the first PSO to boot. Good luck selling this piece of crap, Squeenix. Especially with this nice demo out so everyone can see how half-baked it all is.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 15, 2014

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Questions about SD cards for my 3DS. (READ: I don't know anything :saddowns: )

If you get a non-Nintendo SD card for e-shop purposes, will that wreak anything? I read stuff on Nintendo's website about it, but I want to make sure.

Is there any card reader that's compatible with a Macbook Air (laptop)?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Violet_Sky posted:

Questions about SD cards for my 3DS. (READ: I don't know anything :saddowns: )

If you get a non-Nintendo SD card for e-shop purposes, will that wreak anything? I read stuff on Nintendo's website about it, but I want to make sure.

Is there any card reader that's compatible with a Macbook Air (laptop)?

No such thing as a Nintendo SD card, but no. You can pop stuff on the spare space on the SD card.

All card readers work with a Macbook Air if it has a port for it (USB seems to be your only option)

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Do MacBook Airs not have an SD card slot built in?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

No such thing as a Nintendo SD card, but no. You can pop stuff on the spare space on the SD card.

All card readers work with a Macbook Air if it has a port for it (USB seems to be your only option)

What's the size limit for a a regular 3DS? Brand?

I thought that you buy 3DS specific SD cards. Guess not.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It wouldn't be an SD card if it was specific to a 3DS.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
My MacBook doesn't have an SD slot but most printers do and can function as an SD card reader for your Mac or PC.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Ptarmigans posted:

Do MacBook Airs not have an SD card slot built in?

The 13" model does, the 11" doesn't.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

No such thing as a Nintendo SD card, but no.

(It's just rebranded from some other manufacturer, of course, but still)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Violet_Sky posted:

What's the size limit for a a regular 3DS? Brand?

Officially, the limit is 64GB, but people have been able to run 128GB cards. Brand, any good one works -- Sony is (ironically) the best one.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I thought official limit was 32 GB since that's the turnover point for XC?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Tales of the World has an interesting take on the relationship system. Each character has exactly 7 other characters they can make relationships with, and since seeing the relationship conversations is one of the big fanservice points of the game this basically means most players are going to divide all the playable characters into groups of compatible relationships. It's kind of disappointing from the standpoint of not being completely free to have whoever you want in your party (though you always could if you decide to ignore that part of the game), but I guess since Tales games are very big on multiple playthroughs that would be the attraction of a New Game +.

Anyway the game is definitely still fun. Not sure how far into it I am, but I'm already drowning in characters. I have a roster of 21, with most battles only allowing 6 to go out (and many only 5). It's even more mind boggling when I think that there's probably just as many characters on the other side (there are two main factions in the game that the characters are divided into).

With how much voice work this game has, especially from characters from games that never came out in the US, it may be hard for this to come over but I hope it does. It's a really solid Tales fanservice game and a fun, lite tactics game.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Seagull posted:

I thought official limit was 32 GB since that's the turnover point for XC?

SDXC is electrically identical to SDHC. OG SD wasn't, hence why transitional hardware sometimes doesn't work with it.

The only difference between SDHC and SDXC is that SDXC defaults to ExFAT, because usefully recent versions of Windows won't format a volume larger than 32 gigs to FAT32, because Microsoft are dicks. Force FAT32 on an SDXC card and you're probably good to 2 terabytes (if they ever manage to fit that into an SD card, anyway).

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
A 32GB card is plenty for the 3DS, I have Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, FE:A, Resident Evil Mercanaries and Revelations, Pokemon X, the new Phoenix Wright, KI:U, Bravely Default, Sub Wars, AC:NL, MGS3 3D, FF Theaterhtymn 2, SMT4, the ORAS Demo, over 60 virtual console games and 14 3DSware games and I still have plenty of room to spare all on one 32GB card. More than enough for the lifespan of the console I'd say.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I also have tons of game with tons of spare space

The games generally aren't very big.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

Nope - I believe it's the first retail 3DS game to be 100% 2D only - and I see absolutely no reason why. The texture work in particular is shockingly poor.

Cubic Ninja didn't have 3D. Came out for the 3DS way back in 2011.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Final Fantasy Explorers looks awful. God SE has really gone downhill since the 90s from being one of the best game companies to legit the absolute worst. The new leadership over there is so out-of-touch. The 3DS would've been a great time for them to remaster say FFVI or something but instead we get this garbage? At least Nintendo is still consistently awesome and knows what their consumers want.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Captain Mog posted:

Final Fantasy Explorers looks awful. God SE has really gone downhill since the 90s from being one of the best game companies to legit the absolute worst. The new leadership over there is so out-of-touch. The 3DS would've been a great time for them to remaster say FFVI or something but instead we get this garbage? At least Nintendo is still consistently awesome and knows what their consumers want.

Every game "remaster" is legit garbage fyi

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm hoping that Final Fantasy Explorers ends up being better than it looks in the preview videos because I like Final Fantasy and I like kill and loot games so I was hoping for it to scratch an itch.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Mog posted:

Yeah but isn't Monster Hunter like ridiculously popular in Japan? I think MH4 might even be outselling Smash over there so it doesn't really surprise me that they'd try to get in on the hunting game thing

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah but isn't Monster Hunter like ridiculously popular in Japan? I think MH4 might even be outselling Smash over there so it doesn't really surprise me that they'd try to get in on the hunting game thing

Yup, and so is Final Fantasy, so no one should be surprised when it sells in the millions.

I agree that it looks generally lovely and unpolished, though. Not that Monster Hunter 3 & 4 are that much better...

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Captain Mog posted:

The 3DS would've been a great time for them to remaster say FFVI or something but instead we get this garbage? At least Nintendo is still consistently awesome and knows what their consumers want.

Up until FFIV came out I would have agreed with you. I don't want them to remake FFVI, because I know that they'll end up ruining it somehow. They'll either make the graphics cartoony and blocky, like FFIV (The unwashed fangirl in me cries for :qq: realistic graphics :qq:), or they'll have DLC. (Want to rescue all your favourites? Pay :10bux: for Terra!)

No, I don't trust them to remaster FFVI, not after they slapped their label on All The Bravest. (They SHOULD have done so much more with that like a JRPG style game. I'd buy that.)

E: Unrelated to the above, but will a Sony 32 GB SD card take care of my 3DS's memory space issue?

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 15, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Are you referring to the DS FFIV? Because I really liked that. However, I never played the original in any of its incarnations so I had zero attachment to it, so that could make a difference.

I'd love to see them give similar treatment to FFVI, since I've never finished that one either. I've made a few attempts over the years, but I never seem to get far. FFIVDS was my jam, though. I loved that to bits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

Are you referring to the DS FFIV? Because I really liked that. However, I never played the original in any of its incarnations so I had zero attachment to it, so that could make a difference.

I'd love to see them give similar treatment to FFVI, since I've never finished that one either. I've made a few attempts over the years, but I never seem to get far. FFIVDS was my jam, though. I loved that to bits.

I just want Theatrythym to add the DS versions of the FFIV tracks :sigh:.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Captain Mog posted:

There are plenty of companies from the 90s that have gone downhill harder than Square. I think Capcom is still worse, for one.
Pretty funny that your solution is a remake of a game from the 90s that's already been remade at least a couple of times though.

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, FF4DS was great and the only real complaints were from literal loving babies complaining about :qq: BIG HEADS :qq: but of course they had to follow that up with doing that horribly ugly After Years remake on Android that's pixely as gently caress, locked at like 15 FPS for god knows what reason, and doesn't have controller support even though the FF3 and FF4 ports did.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 15, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Captain Mog posted:

Is this post like 3 years ago.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Also, Square wouldn't actively lock out progress in a game like that. They're bad at DLC and microtransactions but that's a hilarious overreaction. If anything it'd be stuff like "Hey, want a Lightning costume for Terra? How about a Tellah outfit for my dawg Strago?" or "Hey pal, looks like you're pretty optimized for end game. Think you're up for fighting Exdeath, Golbez, or Zeromus? It can happen for :10bux:"

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, you're right, I was thinking more of The After Years when I was writing this. And the locking out progress thing was a joke. I cant tell joke gud. :saddowns:

Speaking of which, wasn't The After Years originally a cellphone game in Japan?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

Yeah, you're right, I was thinking more of The After Years when I was writing this. And the locking out progress thing was a joke. I cant tell joke gud. :saddowns:

Yup. And it's all good, I'm just a bit twitchy over people criticizing DLC in games that aren't free to play. If FFVI 3DS was free to play, it'd definitely have gates everywhere.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TARDISman posted:

Also, Square wouldn't actively lock out progress in a game like that. They're bad at DLC and microtransactions but that's a hilarious overreaction. If anything it'd be stuff like "Hey, want a Lightning costume for Terra? How about a Tellah outfit for my dawg Strago?" or "Hey pal, looks like you're pretty optimized for end game. Think you're up for fighting Exdeath, Golbez, or Zeromus? It can happen for :10bux:"

If they remade FFVI and Terra's hair was blonde like in the concept art and Dissidia, I'd buy the DLC that makes it green again. I don't like Terra with blonde hair.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Violet_Sky posted:

Ah, then we're good. I would never defend The After Years.

But I will defend FFIV DS. I will defend it to my grave.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

If they remade FFVI and Terra's hair was blonde like in the concept art and Dissidia, I'd buy the DLC that makes it green again. I don't like Terra with blonde hair.

Oh I'd buy that DLC. I'd buy the poo poo out of that DLC.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Has there been a price announced (or assumed) on the New 3DS? I'm asking because I know they're going to come out "next year soon", but there's a bunch of great Black Friday Deals on XL's.

Also, weird question: Target is doing a buy 2 get 1 free deal on all their games. Which 3 games are great "play through, beat the entire thing, sell the game back" kinds of games? I'm not talking about Animal Crossing or Smash Bros. Those games you beat once, enjoy the play through, then never really touch again.

I don't like having cartridges, so I was hoping to eShop the "permanent" games, and then pick up three games to sell later.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PRADA SLUT posted:

Has there been a price announced (or assumed) on the New 3DS? I'm asking because I know they're going to come out "next year soon", but there's a bunch of great Black Friday Deals on XL's.

Also, weird question: Target is doing a buy 2 get 1 free deal on all their games. Which 3 games are great "play through, beat the entire thing, sell the game back" kinds of games? I'm not talking about Animal Crossing or Smash Bros. Those games you beat once, enjoy the play through, then never really touch again.

I don't like having cartridges, so I was hoping to eShop the "permanent" games, and then pick up three games to sell later.

3DS games specifically? Hmm... Professor Layton x Ace Attorney, Mario 3D Land, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Luigi's Mansion, Kirby Triple Deluxe all come to mind. I'm sure there's plenty of other good games, just none I can think of right away. I'm stingy about the games I buy most of the time; they all have some sort of long-lasting replay value.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Violet_Sky posted:

Yes, but oddly enough the Android port that uses uglier versions of the FF4DS models and graphics has all the DLC and everything in one package. Shame it's so painful to play.
I really don't know why they didn't just go ahead and make a DS/3DS version, since it's using all the same assets.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

PRADA SLUT posted:

In Australia, the current 3DSs retail at $199 for the regular, $249 for the XL. The new 3DSs are launching at $219 and $249 for the XL

Seanticleer
Oct 23, 2014
I realize this has probably been discussed before, but is the only affordable way to replace a circle pad still to make the repair yourself? I have precious little knowledge in the way of electronics fixin', and I'm terrified of going into the guts of my precious baby just to replace the worn-down rubber circle. I looked into getting Nintendo to repair it, but that poo poo costs around $125, and that seems ludicrous to me. I also checked around for local repair shops, but "console repair" seems to not be a skill in the iPhone/computer repair shop wheelhouse anymore.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
How's the Pokemon TCG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How many player villagers can there be per Animal Crossing game?

• Locked thread