Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I love Achilles. I'd rather spend time with a complete dick of a character than a boring one. Jordi in W_D was way more fun to me than Aiden.

I like Adawle too, but it's hard not to like someone who spends their time killing slave owners.

Too bad ubisoft hates PC owners. I'd play the poo poo out of Rogue.

Meanwhile I fell through the earth in unity literally 30 seconds into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ARNO I SAID EXIT COVER YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER, GET OFF THE WALL JESUS CHRIST THEY'RE STABBING YOU ALREADY

Al Harrington posted:

Unity hasn't explained who these clowns are all in red that constantly have a beef with me, I get that the all in blue guys are guards but who are these bastards? at least the war hammer is making short work of them and I'm not even an assassin yet

I distinctly remember seeing a popup tutorial try to explain it, somewhere in sequence 2 or 3, but I still have no idea.

Green = good guys
Blue = bad guys
Red = really bad guys

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tempo 119 posted:

ARNO I SAID EXIT COVER YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER, GET OFF THE WALL JESUS CHRIST THEY'RE STABBING YOU ALREADY
A few games now have automatic cover, i.e. when you're near a wall you just hunch down automatically, there's no "sticking" part. Every game should be like that.

edit: I am never sure who are the royalists and who are the revolutionaries, between the red guys and the blue guys. They both want me dead, even if I'm helping one of them fight the other. They are both...well, old-school video game enemies, so I guess what do I expect.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 15, 2014

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Tempo 119 posted:

I distinctly remember seeing a popup tutorial try to explain it, somewhere in sequence 2 or 3, but I still have no idea.

Green = good guys
Blue = bad guys
Red = really bad guys

Red are Extremists, basically "harass the peasants" and open for killing.

If you mean guys dressed in red like the Spanish Inquisition, they are somehow connected to the Templars (I think they are revolutionaries) and fight on sight.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Thinky Whale posted:

drat, that's disappointing. 3's ending was such a big promise that poo poo was going to go down, I can't believe how little they've done with it.

That's why I keep hoping Unity has something interesting in the modern day story. If it's any consolation Rogue's modern day story seems to conclude with a Templar agent launching another massive purge on the Assassins, possibly including Desmond's dad, and subsequently inducting you into the order for all your help, so that's not really something they can ignore in future entries.

Oh, and apparently despite the fact that you're in almost the exact same scenario in what I think is the same cubicle you're apparently not the same dude as you were in AC4, which is kinda weird, but whatevs

Orv
May 4, 2011

Al Harrington posted:

Unity hasn't explained who these clowns are all in red that constantly have a beef with me, I get that the all in blue guys are guards but who are these bastards? at least the war hammer is making short work of them and I'm not even an assassin yet

They're extremists. But instead of just being angry dudes profiting off a state of hate and violence, they've been hired by the Templars because AC, and they can recognize you at sight because mission statement or something.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 15, 2014

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

HaitianDivorce posted:

That's why I keep hoping Unity has something interesting in the modern day story. If it's any consolation Rogue's modern day story seems to conclude with a Templar agent launching another massive purge on the Assassins, possibly including Desmond's dad, and subsequently inducting you into the order for all your help, so that's not really something they can ignore in future entries.

Assassins just can't catch a break, can they :smith:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The game runs otherwise OK (30-40fps) with gtx 970, but in cutscenes with lots of bokeh (blur) fps dips pretty heavily. Haven't encountered any bugs or graphical glitches so far, and using french dialogue my immersion is still intact. Also this is the best-looking game I've ever played. My cpu (i7 920) is ancient though, so it probably is the limiting factor here.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdv1NzNKG_s

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
^^^^ hahaha, simple yet elegant

Maybe I was a little hasty with the whole "it doesn't crash anymore" thing. It's not as bad but it's still pretty bad, and now when I lose connectivity to uplay I can't attack. Like, my guy just hunches over with his spear in his hand looking stupid.

BattleSausage fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 15, 2014

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

All my menu screens look like this. :smith: Does anyone know anything I can do to fix that, or is it because my computer is lovely and I just wasted $100?

You wasted $100 but not just because it's buggy.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BattleSausage posted:

^^^^ hahaha, simple yet elegant

Maybe I was a little hasty with the whole "it doesn't crash anymore" thing. It's not as bad but it's still pretty bad, and now when I lose connectivity to uplay I can't attack. Like, my guy just hunches over with his spear in his hand looking stupid.

I bet the game would have less bugs, crashes and issues if they removed all the DRM.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

Ihmemies posted:

I bet the game would have less bugs, crashes and issues if they removed all the DRM.

What I've read is that people who pirated the game are having a better experience than people who bought it. Something about the uplay bullshit is slowing down framerates and causing crashes. I just spent 20 minutes stabbings dudes in the face in a co-op mission only to have it crash as we were escaping the area.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnqTWyZ5LU8

Ignore the face cam and watch for the amazing glitch, best game ever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Agrajag posted:

Ignore the face cam

How?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BattleSausage posted:

What I've read is that people who pirated the game are having a better experience than people who bought it.

I bet.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Thinky Whale posted:

Assassins just can't catch a break, can they :smith:

Since all the modern day storyline is conducted in the first person, you only catch a glimpse of it through a weird little Assassin chat room or whatever. I caught conflicting reports on William Miles's death, references to Erudito and to the Initiates before it ended, but it's all so brief its impact might be deniable or minimized.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Don't worry they are recruiting more dudes with their brilliant plan of "here play out the start of this guys life see how his father was killed by ~someone~ then his new dad was killed by ~some other guy~ over a century ago don't you see how you have to join us now?"

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

HaitianDivorce posted:

Did that rumor about Connor having a cameo in Unity turn out true? Or is everyone guffawing at the game faceplanting on release?

If this got answered, I missed it. Beat Unity late last night, and nope, Connor does not make an appearance, which I am kind of annoyed by. He wouldn't really fit in with the main events, so I'm okay with him not playing a part in Arno's story, but during this time period, he's what—in his forties? We've never had two main-series Assassins alive during the same time period before. I would really have liked to hear what he's up to during Unity.

Anyway I skipped a lot of the side missions to finish the game, since I reached a point in the main campaign where I figured I might as well finish up last night, and I'm pretty happy with it. I sympathize with everyone having extreme technical problems, but for everyone on the fence, I totally recommend buying Unity...once they get this stuff ironed out, anyway. I played it on PS4 and yesterday the only glitches I saw were some gliding (not running) thieves during crowd events, so I'm not sure if they patched anything or if I just got lucky.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
This game advanced the series overarching plot in no meaningful way whatsoever and that really annoys me more than any of the bugs.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cyra posted:

This game advanced the series overarching plot in no meaningful way whatsoever and that really annoys me more than any of the bugs.

this post makes me want to buy it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did anyone get the American Prisoner DLC code yet from the promo?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Volkerball posted:

this post makes me want to buy it
Yeah, this is definitely a mark in the game's favor. The overarching plot is the dumbest thing and the series is at its best when it's just a bunch of self-contained stories of the two sides going at each other over the pieces of eden.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cyra posted:

Yes the overarching plot that has no other possible outcome but Assassins Win!, CS style, in AC15.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Assassin's Creed has a plot?

EDIT:

Aphrodite posted:

Did anyone get the American Prisoner DLC code yet from the promo?

I did!

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Assassin's Creed has a plot?

"Past-aliens made all of histories greatest greats great, also some dumb idiot nobody saved the world by making bad choices."

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
they made a big deal about that lady being released at the end of 3, and they've done gently caress all with it. at least 4 actually acknowledged it

it's me, i'm the guy that likes the modern day stuff. i don't think the series would be halfway as entertaining without it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guess they screwed that up too then. I didn't even get the livestream reminder they were supposed to send 5 days before the game came out.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Orv posted:

"Past-aliens made all of histories greatest greats great, also some dumb idiot nobody saved the world by making bad choices."

But if you look there's tons of ridiculous awesome conspiracy theory bullshit in there! Did you know we went to the moon to find an artifact the lizard people left there, and also Abstergo painted there logo on the lander and then painted over it for some reason? Or that Citizens United was a Templar plot intended to give them even more power over the American government? Or that televisions literally control your mind? :yum:

Orv
May 4, 2011

HaitianDivorce posted:

But if you look there's tons of ridiculous awesome conspiracy theory bullshit in there! Did you know we went to the moon to find an artifact the lizard people left there, and also Abstergo painted there logo on the lander and then painted over it for some reason? Or that Citizens United was a Templar plot intended to give them even more power over the American government? Or that televisions literally control your mind? :yum:

I hate that I actually took a second to realize you were full of poo poo and wracking my memory wouldn't do any good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HaitianDivorce posted:

That's definitely what they had in mind for the whole series, but then they hosed up and ran out of things to say in the modern-day story, so they can't do it anymore.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just watched my brother beat the game. What a stupid story/ending. Probably the worst and least impactful the series has had so far. They really need to go back to the drawing board, and hopefully the reviews this time scared them enough to actually put some effort into the next game. Hopefully the sales also suffer, because that would be the best motivator, but I doubt that will happen.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Orv posted:

I hate that I actually took a second to realize you were full of poo poo and wracking my memory wouldn't do any good.

I'm not at all! That's all stuff from the AC2/Brotherhood Glyph puzzles! Hitler was literally a Templar who was supposed to execute a body double and flee Berlin with a Piece of Eden in the final hours of WW2!

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's definitely what they had in mind for the whole series, but then they hosed up and ran out of things to say in the modern-day story, so they can't do it anymore.

Which is super disappointing and why I keep hoping something new pops up. I remember going through the last puzzles in Brotherhood and wondering if they were going to link in the Arab Spring or the Green Revolution to an Assassin resurgence.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BattleSausage posted:

What I've read is that people who pirated the game are having a better experience than people who bought it. Something about the uplay bullshit is slowing down framerates and causing crashes. I just spent 20 minutes stabbings dudes in the face in a co-op mission only to have it crash as we were escaping the area.

From Ubi's official "Current Known Issues" thread:

quote:

If playing single player, we suggest that you disconnect from your internet connection (wifi or network cable).It could potentially improve frame rate.

One of my housemates saw a significant framerate increase after unplugging his ethernet cable mid-game. The moment the game realized it was offline there was a 5-10 second freeze and then it suddenly ran better. He was getting stutters every few seconds online, but offline it went away.

GTX770 4GB + Phenom X6 1045T OCed to 3.7 in his case playing on High settings.

I don't get the stutters and had no notable change in either crowd or indoor framerates by unplugging.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

If playing single player, we suggest that you disconnect from your internet connection (wifi or network cable).It could potentially improve frame rate.
Wow, they actually admitted it?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Unplugging also does nothing for me, but I'd be exactly 0% surprised if Uplay is causing issues with the actual performance.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, in one of the stickies in their Tech Support forum.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/949543-AC-Unity-Current-Known-Issues?p=10335225

Second one down in the "All Platforms" section, so it's not even limited to PC.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Okay, I have a nvidia 770gtx and an i74770k and I was getting pretty dismal performance in Unity at 1920x1200 with everything on low except Environment Detail on high. So I decided to play through my tv and put it at 720p, and now it runs pretty much flawlessly with everything on high, except AA is still at FXAA. It doesn't look bad either, surprisingly, my TV does a good job of upscaling. So if any of you guys have your pc hooked up to a TV you might want to try that until they put out some performance patches.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 15, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So far Unity isn't really drawing me in. I've tweaked my settings so that it's stopped stuttering all over the place, but the whole intro to the assassins felt massively rushed, like too rushed.

I mean, i'm able to assassin climb to the top of the world even before i'm initiated into the Assassins which happens in just two cutscenes.

Then there's like a whole world open to me and it's just too loving much that hasn't been explained yet, this is in spite of my "mentor" (some guy i've briefly met in a prison) telling me he's taught me all he can.

No, no, you've not. Who are the red coat fuckers? What's this theatre/cafe? Who are the Templars that are all around me, who are my other assassin brothers?

I mean i get they're trying not to do a retread of 3 by having a super huge tutorial, but it's like there's been very little context so far and i'm now a guy who's angry at an organisation (Templars) because.... 2 father figures have been murdered and my childhood love is a templar and my second father figure was the Templar leader?

How does Arno even know who the Templars really are at this point never mind having the motivation to go gank them?

At least in AC2, there was build up and a competent introduction not only to who the current Templars were, but also why they were bastards who had to die, not only because of what they did to your family but what they were doing to the world. So far, not blown away by Unity.

Do i get to build my own assassin army later or something? That's the only way i think i could start to really enjoy this.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

HaitianDivorce posted:

Or that Citizens United was a Templar plot intended to give them even more power over the American government?

This one's actually true, except Templar=billionaire assholes. But I repeat myself. :goonsay:

• Locked thread