Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012
A nice long interview with Molly and Brennan on CBR: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Man Paladin sure seems to like AIs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I choose to believe that the reason Paladin alludes to Humor Bots suicide being related to too much processing power is that the excess processing power gave him the ability to recognize that the best joke he could play is trolling Paladin by emulating the other two.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Oblivious posted:

I choose to believe that the reason Paladin alludes to Humor Bots suicide being related to too much processing power is that the excess processing power gave him the ability to recognize that the best joke he could play is trolling Paladin by emulating the other two.
That's what I assumed, yes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just going to call Paladin as a neofuturist working towards the goal of uploading a human beings consciousness into a machine and is actively working toward causing the singularity.

Which is hilariously terrifying.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I'm actually wondering if Paladin has a dark past. All her work is based around robotics, and so far the only robots we've seen in the story are the killbots used by Templar.

It would be interesting if she was one of the people Patrick had following him, and she decided to flip sides with a new identity after he abandoned the organization. It would also make the robots offering to tear off arms and hand out poison make a lot more sense...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I won't be surprised that this is two seperate views of how to fix the world, Paladin's view of uploading of human consciousness or replacing us with robot bodies or the frumpy invisible girl's method of just straight up murdering people.

It's two opposite extremes. Basically, no one knows what the gently caress they are doing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Bravo posted:

It would also make the robots offering to tear off arms and hand out poison make a lot more sense...

No, this is just android humor.

'Paladin' posted:

The robots think it's funny to say things that aren't true

the androids do it too, they're just better about correlating substitutions to the idea they're trying to replace.

So they are being funny, they just suck at it from our point of view.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Hollismason posted:

I won't be surprised that this is two seperate views of how to fix the world, Paladin's view of uploading of human consciousness or replacing us with robot bodies or the frumpy invisible girl's method of just straight up murdering people.

It's two opposite extremes. Basically, no one knows what the gently caress they are doing.

I have no idea where this whole "uploading consciousness" thing is coming from. Like, there's no reason to believe that's a thing that is either desirable or practical.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Error 404 posted:

No, this is just android humor.

So they are being funny, they just suck at it from our point of view.

You notice I said more sense, right? Like, yes, that is the explanation that is given, but if it later turns out that Paladin has installed morality chips in all the previously homocidal robots, it would make more sense that their jokes would be about killing you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Male Man posted:

I have no idea where this whole "uploading consciousness" thing is coming from. Like, there's no reason to believe that's a thing that is either desirable or practical.

Because of the mural etc.. she's also replaced her leg with a robotic one, etc.. she's a transhumanist.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I can see the appeal of consciousness upload if you get out of an accident with something like locked-in syndrome and your only remaining mean of social interaction is blinking your left eye, but otherwise it just seems stupid and creepy.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think she lost her leg to a supervillain.

I think futurists are often stupid and creepy, sure, but uploading holds appeal in that it could make people effectively immortal. Or at least far less mortal than they are now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wittgen posted:

it could make people effectively immortal

That's the creepy part. The people who want to be immortal the most -- and who are willing to invest fortunes instead of treating it just as an absurd daydream -- are generally the kind of people that, for the greater good of the rest of mankind, should die the soonest.

Just try to imagine how the world would be today if it was still ruled by the people who were kings a millennium ago. Correlate that with social progress that only happened because the prejudices of an older generation died out with them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be fair, i'm pretty sure immortals would have about as much luck trying to rule forever than dynasties have.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hollismason posted:

she's also replaced her leg with a robotic one, etc.

This is the most stupid argument I have ever heard.

"She lost a leg? And instead of using an ordinary prosthesis, the woman who builds loving robots replaced it with a robot one? Well, obviously she must really want to be a robot. That's the only possible conclusion to draw here."

:allears:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Captain Bravo posted:

This is the most stupid argument I have ever heard.

"She lost a leg? And instead of using an ordinary prosthesis, the woman who builds loving robots replaced it with a robot one? Well, obviously she must really want to be a robot. That's the only possible conclusion to draw here."

:allears:

I think the guy responsible for the sports prosthetics lost a leg and was issued a standard fake leg made out of wood and rubber he got so frustrated that he threw it across a room and it shattered. His father told him that he was just going to have to learn to accept that leg since he didn't have any other choice.

"I'm an engineer." he replied and now legless athletes are forbidden from competing with limbed athletes due to their superior mechanical advantage.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Remember, being immortal doesn't mean you can't be killed :smithicide:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Futurists often make the mistake of thinking that greater technology will necessarily result in a utopic society. I think it's also a mistake to think that greater technology will necessarily result in a dystopic society.

Immortality could create a lot of problems, but I have a hard time seeing "I don't want to die" as a fundamentally creepy sentiment. People dying isn't the fundamental key to developing a more progressive society. People live longer on average nowadays, but the rate of social change has if anything gotten faster.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I get the feeling this lady would be insufferable to work for.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, a combination of Tony Stark and Dr. Manhattan.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Based on what?

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, a combination of Tony Stark and Dr. Manhattan.

Ok, admittedly she was naked and glowing blue while pounding vodka, but she doesn't pull that poo poo at work.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't know, with all the glorification of past figures filtered through her own personal lense, I get more of an Andrew Ryan (pre-crazy) vibe from her as of lately. All she needs is an excuse and I'm sure she would build a technological utopia sequestered from the rest of society.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Man we're getting waaaay more exposition on Paladin's thought processes than Moonshadow's in this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Considering how we already had some people speculating about Paladin, maybe a peek into her mind might be worth something.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

"Waaay more" is a bit of an exaggeration. We've gotten a similar amount so far, thought there might be a page or two more of it.

This issue has given insight into a bunch of different hero's personal philosophies. Brad, Pintsize, Murder Girl, and now Paladin.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Wittgen posted:

"Waaay more" is a bit of an exaggeration. We've gotten a similar amount so far, thought there might be a page or two more of it.

This issue has given insight into a bunch of different hero's personal philosophies. Brad, Pintsize, Murder Girl, and now Paladin.

I quite like Paladin's ideals/philosophy as explained over the last few pages. She might still be insufferable to work for, like some people mentioned, but I think she's got the right idea about some things.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I've got no idea where "insufferable to work for" comes from. Seems like one of those things that gets repeated for no reason and people wind up accepting as truth.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I've got no idea where "insufferable to work for" comes from. Seems like one of those things that gets repeated for no reason and people wind up accepting as truth.

Well, I was one of the folks agreeing with the sentiment. I said she'd be a mix of Tony Stark and Dr. Manhattan, and hell to work for.
My reasons for saying so are based on personal experience with "geniuses" coupled with a few details we've seen in this scene.

Paladin is definitely one of the smartest people on earth, but even aside from that, she's an innovator and engineer. She revolutionizes 4 scientific fields before lunchtime and has prototypes done in time for dinner..
Her designs and ideas are so far ahead of anyone else that she may as well be speaking another language.

This is frustrating when you're trying to explain something that you feel is obvious, simple, or logical and everyone else just isn't getting it.

It's doubly hard to be on the other end of this.
Without necessarily meaning to, your boss is talking to you like you're an idiot (when you're no doubt highly skilled and perfectly intelligent this stings so loving bad)

Project guidelines and goals change on an almost daily, or even hourly, basis. This means re-positioning or retooling resources which takes time. This means assessing if any of the work already done is salvageable or if you need to start from the ground up which takes time and materials. This means re-training a workforce that won't be comfortable with the new routine at first and thus increasing mistakes, thus adding delays and taking time and materials.

And meanwhile, Paladin is already planning the project after the project after the project she has planned when you finish this one, and she can't or won't understand what the hold-up is. (see my first point)

So yeah, based on a few small points (Paladin's conversation with the foreman, Paladin's reaction to the machine that Alison lifted being in the wrong place, and one or two others I don't feel like going back to point out). I can totally admit I may be reading too much into it, but I can see how being one of Paladin's employees would suck pretty hard.
I can also see how this is/would be a problem for anyone working for Stark or Manhattan as well, hence my comparison.

Paladin herself is pretty awesome, though some of the trans-humanism stuff is a little worrying.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Error 404 posted:

Well, I was one of the folks agreeing with the sentiment. I said she'd be a mix of Tony Stark and Dr. Manhattan, and hell to work for.
My reasons for saying so are based on personal experience with "geniuses" coupled with a few details we've seen in this scene.

Paladin is definitely one of the smartest people on earth, but even aside from that, she's an innovator and engineer. She revolutionizes 4 scientific fields before lunchtime and has prototypes done in time for dinner..
Her designs and ideas are so far ahead of anyone else that she may as well be speaking another language.

This is frustrating when you're trying to explain something that you feel is obvious, simple, or logical and everyone else just isn't getting it.

It's doubly hard to be on the other end of this.
Without necessarily meaning to, your boss is talking to you like you're an idiot (when you're no doubt highly skilled and perfectly intelligent this stings so loving bad)

Project guidelines and goals change on an almost daily, or even hourly, basis. This means re-positioning or retooling resources which takes time. This means assessing if any of the work already done is salvageable or if you need to start from the ground up which takes time and materials. This means re-training a workforce that won't be comfortable with the new routine at first and thus increasing mistakes, thus adding delays and taking time and materials.

And meanwhile, Paladin is already planning the project after the project after the project she has planned when you finish this one, and she can't or won't understand what the hold-up is. (see my first point)

So yeah, based on a few small points (Paladin's conversation with the foreman, Paladin's reaction to the machine that Alison lifted being in the wrong place, and one or two others I don't feel like going back to point out). I can totally admit I may be reading too much into it, but I can see how being one of Paladin's employees would suck pretty hard.
I can also see how this is/would be a problem for anyone working for Stark or Manhattan as well, hence my comparison.

Paladin herself is pretty awesome, though some of the trans-humanism stuff is a little worrying.

I've worked for idiots who didn't have their poo poo together, they were far more insufferable than bosses who were smart. I don't see the transhumanism thing in anything other than her having a non-standard prosthesis.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I've worked for idiots who didn't have their poo poo together, they were far more insufferable than bosses who were smart. I don't see the transhumanism thing in anything other than her having a non-standard prosthesis.

If you've never had to deal with an insufferable "genius" before, then it was probably you.

To more specifically respond to your point, Paladin is both smart and doesn't have her poo poo together.

The transhuman thing isn't about her prosthetic, it's the attitude demonstrated in all her murals (except this last one), coupled with the behavior she demonstrates towards those she sees as lesser, which lead me to the conclusion that she's being written like a friendlier version of the same irl hardcore libertarian transhumanism that plagues the tech industry and silicon valley.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Error 404 posted:

The transhuman thing isn't about her prosthetic, it's the attitude demonstrated in all her murals (except this last one), coupled with the behavior she demonstrates towards those she sees as lesser, which lead me to the conclusion that she's being written like a friendlier version of the same irl hardcore libertarian transhumanism that plagues the tech industry and silicon valley.

Her whole spiel about batteries and lightbulbs makes a 180° on IRL libertarianism, which is an ideology entirely based on making GBS threads on the useless "batteries" and claiming that "lightbulbs" need no one else in the world.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Error 404 posted:

To more specifically respond to your point, Paladin is both smart and doesn't have her poo poo together.

She was upset with a guy placing a subreactor in a show room when it needed to be up an additional six floors and it takes a crane to move it meaning they'd have to disassemble a presumably radioactive power source and move it that way or do major reconstruction on the building, saying "You try me Taylor. That's what you do, you try me." isn't that bad of a reaction to that level of a problem. Other than her foreman's gross error, what evidence has there been for Paladin not having her poo poo together? The project looks massive and she's put pretty drat good guidelines for construction with the AI's flying around using holographic imagery to make sure the advanced equipment is installed correctly.

Error 404 posted:

If you've never had to deal with an insufferable "genius" before, then it was probably you.

I was referring to bosses who either give contradictory orders or yell at you for doing what they told you to do. I don't think anyone reading this thread who's had to deal with that level of frustration is necessarily "an insufferable "genius"".

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cat Mattress posted:

Her whole spiel about batteries and lightbulbs makes a 180° on IRL libertarianism, which is an ideology entirely based on making GBS threads on the useless "batteries" and claiming that "lightbulbs" need no one else in the world.

Yeah, I agree 100%, the lightbulbs and batteries thing is actually a really cool way to look at it.
Like, I'm not thinking Paladin is full on crazy libertarian, but up until this most recent few panels, she has shown a few signs of it.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

She was upset with a guy placing a subreactor in a show room when it needed to be up an additional six floors and it takes a crane to move it meaning they'd have to disassemble a presumably radioactive power source and move it that way or do major reconstruction on the building, saying "You try me Taylor. That's what you do, you try me." isn't that bad of a reaction to that level of a problem. Other than her foreman's gross error, what evidence has there been for Paladin not having her poo poo together? The project looks massive and she's put pretty drat good guidelines for construction with the AI's flying around using holographic imagery to make sure the advanced equipment is installed correctly.

Who put together the original plan, and approved the construction?
The Foreman's only as good as the guidelines he's been instructed to follow (granted, if that room was intended to be a showroom from the start, then he should have raised the issue before they built the drat thing).
Now, if the plans have gone through revisions while construction has happened, then the gross error is either Paladin's (which, if true, she's laying on the foreman because ???) or becomes a stupid but understandable construction fuckup, otherwise known as an design oversight (:v:).

quote:

I was referring to bosses who either give contradictory orders or yell at you for doing what they told you to do. I don't think anyone reading this thread who's had to deal with that level of frustration is necessarily "an insufferable "genius".
This part was a joke. My bad.

I've been on both sides of the issue, where I was being an rear end unwittingly because I was frustrated at people not "getting it", and also as the guy who didn't "get it".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah; in fact that pyramid of people imagery is a pretty classic marxist image:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm sure Paladin can figure this out though.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Depends a bit, a huge part of teaching is working out when and why your student doesn't understand something. Which might be tricky for an intuitive super-genius. Not impossible, but maybe not the most effective use of either Paladin or Alison's time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You'd be surprised how little a genius can figure out sometimes. Just because you're super smart with machines doesn't mean you've got a lick of sense about people, sociology, or communication.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Warmachine posted:

You'd be surprised how little a genius can figure out sometimes. Just because you're super smart with machines doesn't mean you've got a lick of sense about people, sociology, or communication.

Yeah, this. There are many kinds of intelligence. We just tend to think that the academic kind somehow extends to the others when in reality it's not really any more important and sometimes is much less so (how many stupid rear end in a top hat STEM majors have you known in your life?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The lightbulbs-and-batteries monologue seems like a good indicator that Paladin can break down some complex ideas into concise, relatable concepts. She'd probably be good enough at that part of the whole teaching thing. Homework'll be a doozy, though.

• Locked thread