Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
After 3 hours with people soft I was able to scan sort and expense 7k dollars and a bag full of receipts.

Today it just hit me the millions of dollars my company must be wasting in man hours due to our outdated expense system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Get one of these, noobs

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Or, of course, http://www.skymall.com/skyrest-travel-pillow/99010.html

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tall people, please fly business class. Thank You.

From a short dude

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Nope and

Nope

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

caberham posted:

From a short dude

Happy to oblige. I'm doing a new carrier for me, Sichuan Airlines, on CTU-PVG tomorrow and then picking up the plastic princess on United for a ride to LAX and I won't inconvenience a single person in coach. :D

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

caberham posted:

From a short dude

Right now I'm flying the people's republic of southwest so no can do.

You all think you're joking about strapping my head to the seat but I might just do it next time I'm too hungover to handle staying conscious.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

caberham posted:

From a short dude

Sure, as long as you're buying.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Mackieman posted:

Happy to oblige. I'm doing a new carrier for me, Sichuan Airlines, on CTU-PVG tomorrow and then picking up the plastic princess on United for a ride to LAX and I won't inconvenience a single person in coach. :D

I'm catching my second ride on the plastic princess next Thursday lhr-IAH. My gpu hasn't cleared yet so this one may just be in e+

Right now I'm requaling 1k in 15a, upper deck on the Queen :smugdog:

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Xguard86 posted:

You all think you're joking about strapping my head to the seat but I might just do it next time I'm too hungover to handle staying conscious.

Being hungover on a plane is incredibly uncomfortable. I usually just try to get drunk again on bloodys (if I'm not going to see a client).

Also, I use an inflatable neck pillow because I am slightly too short for the headrests. The biggest issue I had was there was no way to make it stay put so I mostly wear it inside a zip hoodie with the hood up. It makes me look like a college student and I get major side eye from all the suits I board in front of.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

You chose a connection in ATL and fly the wrong direction to get there over the direct flight to SNA to play upgrade roulette (or upgrade at all).

Your employer is ok with this? Is it remarkably cheaper?

I don't live in a hub. I have a connection no matter what. The only question is where it is through.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

taco show posted:

Being hungover on a plane is incredibly uncomfortable. I usually just try to get drunk again on bloodys (if I'm not going to see a client).

Also, I use an inflatable neck pillow because I am slightly too short for the headrests. The biggest issue I had was there was no way to make it stay put so I mostly wear it inside a zip hoodie with the hood up. It makes me look like a college student and I get major side eye from all the suits I board in front of.

As an aside, I'm really glad my job doesn't really require wearing suits and meeting clients or something ASAP. I'm stuck in a metal tube in the sky for 10+ hours at a time, I'm going to dress as comfortably as possible.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Planes put me to sleep - not anything I deliberately do. I will fall asleep on a plane at any time of day/night unless I force myself not to.

Feel good, man. :chord:

I'm the same way. I don't know where I learned it, but it is absolutely automatic for me. It's a liability for me now because my territory is super small now so I'm looking at maybe a 2 hour flight. Doesn't matter, I sit down and just crash out. I got used to 1st class, so I was expecting an adjustment now that I'm flying coach but, nope. Southwest middle seat where I'm the smallest of three dudes . . . and I'm not small. I still pass right out before we even take off.

I wish I didn't, because 2 hours is just enough time to gently caress with your sleeping rhythms. Plus, when I get to first-class it with my wife I still sleep through the whole thing :(

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Fly em enough like I do and you get A18 or so position every time. I get exit row or bulkhead aisle 8/10 times. At 6'5" it's the best possible situation I could imagine with my company's travel policy

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

oxsnard posted:

Fly em enough like I do and you get A18 or so position every time. I get exit row or bulkhead aisle 8/10 times. At 6'5" it's the best possible situation I could imagine with my company's travel policy

My usual route is like the definitive swa route (part of the original triangle) so even with a list preferred I still board at like A30 or on a good day low 20s.

In contrast: I flew to Chicago a few weeks back and got A15. Most of the time It's such a short flight I'm not really going to sleep or care about comfort so I grab the first seat I can find but on the occasional Chicago or God help me SFA I'm always trying to figure out good sleeping strategies.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Planes put me to sleep - not anything I deliberately do. I will fall asleep on a plane at any time of day/night unless I force myself not to.

Feel good, man. :chord:

Me too, even during takeoff. Must be the motion because I can fall asleep on the bus when I go into the city.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Well, it happened. UA followed DL and raised the premier qualifying spend by 20%. Not a big deal to me as my com is about 11.6 anyhow. What baffles me is that the way the legacy carriers treat each other's program changes like company memos of policy updates. There is very little diff in anyone's program today. They'll hide behind WN and VX and claim there is competition but legacies with extensive networks and partners are different kettle of fish.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Well, back to looking like gold is unlikely for me next year. With the flights I have remaining it looks like I'll finish this year with exactly 60 segments and about $5500 in spend; with the prices we pay for our tickets the spend requirement really does affect me.

I understand their idea - really, you want to be incentivizing people to spend other people's money on more expensive tickets. At that point, though, I'd almost rather they just dropped any pretense and made it so only PQD qualifies you for status. While I know the end result is exactly the same, I'd psychologically rather not have enough PQD to qualify than to not have enough PQD and have enough PQS - the latter just feels like I'm being disqualified on a technicality.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I understand their idea - really, you want to be incentivizing people to spend other people's money on more expensive tickets.

That's the part that confuses me. An airline can incentivize me to buy their ticket over their competitor's ticket. But they can't incentivize me to buy a higher fare class than the cheapest one they are selling. Company policy is to buy the cheapest ticket available, and we have some leeway as long as the ticket is within $100 of the cheapest if we want a certain airline or routing, but there's no way I could buy an "M" fare if there were "L" fares available.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yep. Previous high flying companies have changed travel policies in the past 5 years. I've chatted with old timers and VP level guys from Merrill Lynch, SAP, Chesapeake, Chevron, Halliburton and Schlumberger (to name a few) who now have strict travel policies. They fly economy now when ten years ago they used to fly first class on UA, AA, Delta etc for nearly every trip

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

oxsnard posted:

Yep. Previous high flying companies have changed travel policies in the past 5 years. I've chatted with old timers and VP level guys from Merrill Lynch, SAP, Chesapeake, Chevron, Halliburton and Schlumberger (to name a few) who now have strict travel policies. They fly economy now when ten years ago they used to fly first class on UA, AA, Delta etc for nearly every trip

My company makes you buy coach class in flights under 5 hours. Now we all pray for upgrades...

It used to be the lavish way before.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rUHSr59ftI

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thoguh posted:

That's the part that confuses me. An airline can incentivize me to buy their ticket over their competitor's ticket. But they can't incentivize me to buy a higher fare class than the cheapest one they are selling. Company policy is to buy the cheapest ticket available, and we have some leeway as long as the ticket is within $100 of the cheapest if we want a certain airline or routing, but there's no way I could buy an "M" fare if there were "L" fares available.

You are not a high revenue customer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You are not a high revenue customer.

And neither are the vast majority of the people on any flight. But that's beside the point. The same thing holds for somebody buying international business or first class. They aren't going to buy a more expensive ticket simply to get more miles. If there is a ticket available on a flight for $3,000 nobody is going to buy a $3,500 ticket instead just to get more miles. People get fired for doing stuff like that.

The only reason someone would not buy the cheapest ticket is if their company policy is to buy refundable tickets. And for those people they don't need an incentive to buy the more expensive ticket, because they are doing it already. The airlines are doing this because with reduced competition and full flights they don't feel they need to worry about encouraging people to go out of their way to buy their tickets, and in the short term it'll probably work out for them. But that doesn't mean, as someone who isn't, as you say, a "high revenue customer", I'm not allowed to have opinions about it.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 15, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I am pretty sure premium cabin purchasers are high rev travelers regardless of the fare class within the premium cabin.

You're welcome to have an opinion on things, it just doesn't matter nearly as much as others until you spend more.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I think they're also doing it to renormalize boarding because too many people are too high status. Just about every flight I've been on that originates in the US has at least half the plane in the first two boarding groups. The worst was a 737 where all but 10 people were group 1. Like The Incredibles, "when everybody is special, nobody's special" and this is a way to partially undo that status inflation.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

Yeah I am pretty sure premium cabin purchasers are high rev travelers regardless of the fare class within the premium cabin.

...yes. I wasn't saying they weren't. I was saying that even high revenue people still aren't going to be incentivized to spend extra with these changes. They'll still buy whatever fare class is available in the cabin they want, or the fare class in that cabin that their company policy dictates. They aren't going to purchase a more expensive fare class just to get more miles.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Midjack posted:

I think they're also doing it to renormalize boarding because too many people are too high status. Just about every flight I've been on that originates in the US has at least half the plane in the first two boarding groups. The worst was a 737 where all but 10 people were group 1. Like The Incredibles, "when everybody is special, nobody's special" and this is a way to partially undo that status inflation.

I would bet a lot of that is also because they've started offering group 1 boarding benefits to airline affinity credit card holders. Which is tough for the airlines to walk back from, because they're so addicted to the revenue from the banks that issue those cards.

American got a huge cash injection in 2009, when they struck a deal with Citibank to sell them a billion dollars worth of miles up front. This wound up making Citibank a major claimant in the BK case later on, and Citibank used that as leverage to make sure they remained the card issuer post-merger.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thoguh posted:

...yes. I wasn't saying they weren't. I was saying that even high revenue people still aren't going to be incentivized to spend extra with these changes. They'll still buy whatever fare class is available in the cabin they want, or the fare class in that cabin that their company policy dictates. They aren't going to purchase a more expensive fare class just to get more miles.

Right. It's not about incentivizing people to buy up in fare class as it is just setting a floor for their profitability to include the additional expenses of ff miles and elite benefits or whatever.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Had my first trip with TSA Precheck. My coworkers are signing up today.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

Guy Axlerod posted:

Had my first trip with TSA Precheck. My coworkers are signing up today.

In some airports Pre-check is amazing (ORD). However, I found interesting in my last trip to DC that the pre-check line in DCA was so long that my colleague that went through regular security got out faster than me.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Yeah it's pretty long in dc, but not worrying about shoes or laptops makes it worth it I think.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
Also, Global entry is great. For me the only problem is that half the kiosks in Newark are out of service.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Xandu posted:

Yeah it's pretty long in dc, but not worrying about shoes or laptops makes it worth it I think.

For real. I travel with tools so precheck is the difference between using 3 bins or 0 for me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Up until now at airports I've been with precheck, the line was nonexistent (STL, SFO, LAS, DEN). Show my boarding card, enjoy the time warp to 9/10, done in 30 seconds.

I went through MCO though and I now see why people hate the policy of randomly shunting people into the precheck line. They had to basically have one TSA person stationed there whose only job was to shout "sir, you don't have to do that" at people who went grabbing sixteen bins for their shoes, cost, and laptop.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Midjack posted:

Just to add to this I fly on British Airways a lot and do a lot of long haul etc. to the extent where I had a loyalty card letting me fast track boarding 4 months into my job.

I swear every flight has more fast track customers than standard, and they always let me through as I was with my colleagues anyway.

The best thing about BA's loyalty scheme is the fast track security at Heathrow (which is a lot faster) and access to the lounges.

It's the hotel loyalty points that kill me. We don't use just one hotel chain so it's hard to build up.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Last trip of the year next week! :dance:

Hit 60 flights on SW and 8 segments on UA. Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite.

I'm probably not traveling until March again so it's gonna feel weird to be home this long at a time. My goal is to only eat at a restaurant a handful of time between now and then too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I went through MCO though and I now see why people hate the policy of randomly shunting people into the precheck line. They had to basically have one TSA person stationed there whose only job was to shout "sir, you don't have to do that" at people who went grabbing sixteen bins for their shoes, cost, and laptop.

That they do this at all tells you the entire TSA is nothing except what bullshit is.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Midjack posted:

That they do this at all tells you the entire TSA is nothing except what bullshit is.

I saw a TSA person evenly splitting pax into the regualr/1st class line at security and while doing it was saying "Everyone is equal here" :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

oxsnard posted:

Last trip of the year next week! :dance:

Hit 60 flights on SW and 8 segments on UA. Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite.

I'm probably not traveling until March again so it's gonna feel weird to be home this long at a time. My goal is to only eat at a restaurant a handful of time between now and then too.
C
Goongrats. I have I think 4 more to go. My partner got a little down last night on the phone about handful of days we are going to see one another up to Christmas. I refused to do turkey day away with his family this year because travel is so nuts for the next bit here. Maybe I shouldn't have stuck to that. Depressing myself about it at the moment. Getting that exhausting, toasted, kinda lonely feeling and I just got off vacation.

Room here in Southampton is kind of nice. Little bungalow setup with cozy amenities.