Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have the answer but just give me a second to answer this text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sudo Echo posted:

Or they can be like my first accident where I stopped at the line, then creeped forward to look since you can't see traffic from the line. The lady behind me thought I was going and just slammed into the back of me.

did she have anything to say for herself

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I had one of those crashes, as a passenger. I was holding a orange creme soda at the time. It went all over my friend's windshield.

The insurance never paid me for that creme soda...bullshit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sudo Echo posted:

Or they can be like my first accident where I stopped at the line, then creeped forward to look since you can't see traffic from the line. The lady behind me thought I was going and just slammed into the back of me.

I was riding my motorcycle and stopped in a right turn lane at the line. I watched the person behind me to make sure they stopped, too. While my feet were still on the ground, me not moving an inch, I turned my head to look at the traffic coming from the left to see if I could make the turn on red. Suddenly, the entire bike rocked forward under me. The woman that I watched come to a complete stop just rear ended me. She said, "Oh, sorry, I thought you went."

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Why do people assume a tiny bit of rain is reason to turn on your foglights? Had a Honda Civic behind me yesterday that I first spotted because of a fairly unique light configuration: Giant selective yellow foglights, and the regular headlights were set to city mode(and were also selective yellow)

It was dark(around 7 PM) and rainy, so I have no idea why he didn't have his low beams on or thought this was the optimal lighting configuration for this weather type. Annoying as hell to look at in your rearview mirror, and at first I thought it was a Juke with selective yellows until I noticed that the bottom lights were a bit too low for that, and the regular headlights didn't light up enough.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Had someone with their brights on behind me last night for a good five miles on a one lane road. I toggled my rear view mirror, put my hand out the window and made a flashing motion, and turned my lights on and off a few times. They still didn't turn them off :(

Vovo
Aug 12, 2005
Grand Luxe
Should've turned on your rear fogs to blind him as well.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

AncientTV posted:

Had someone with their brights on behind me last night for a good five miles on a one lane road. I toggled my rear view mirror, put my hand out the window and made a flashing motion, and turned my lights on and off a few times. They still didn't turn them off :(

That's when I just pull to the side of the road and let them go ahead of me. I'm probably making things worse by rewarding their lovely behavior ("Hey if I drive with that blue light on the dash, people let me pass! Yeehaw!") but it's not worth it to go blind and/or hit something in the road because I'm distracted.

I'm praying for a day when Ford's automatic high beam system can do something like detect drivers in front of you, and then becomes mandatory on every car sold in the US. It'll never happen, but a man can dream. :smith:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I love it when people need to pass that cyclist RIGHTFUCKINGNOW and veer into the oncoming lane without checking to see if it's clear. I especially love it when the cyclist passes them at a red light.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I recently had the pleasure of a bicycle courier gauging the distance between the cars in the left and right lane waiting at a light wrong and going blam blam blam against three or four cars, alternating left and right and tilting our mirrors forward with his rear end and/or messenger bag, ultimately half-stumbling ahead to run the red light we were waiting at. I caught up to him three lights on and made him stop to look for damage on the side of my car together (just a nick on the plastic of the mirror, luckily, no need for insurance and stuff). I don't know how it's handled elsewhere, but as far as I know, in a bicycle/car collision the guy in the car automatically carries a part fault just because they're in a car. SLIGHTLY aggravating when an idiot like that launches himself at you.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I didn't know that if a bicyclist hits your car and damages it (for example if they broke the side mirror off) it would still be the car owner's liability. That's silly.

Also if someone hit my stopped car like that and continued on their way I'd have a hard time not starting the convo with him later on with "hey rear end in a top hat"

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

AncientTV posted:

Since moving to Los Angeles I've noticed that a huge proportion of people seem to have their brights on, also if their car has foglights/driving lights they invariably have those turned on too.

It's very strange, I certainly didn't notice this in Dallas.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I've been a driving instructor for almost a year now and from all the poo poo I've seen now on the roads, I think a law having people return for a refresher course on driving every 5-7 years would help. A lot.

It seems where I operate out of, four-way stops are somewhat optional, as long as your brake lights are on for a second. Driving down a residential road with landscaping trucks on your side of the road with oncoming traffic? Better squeeze into oncoming's lane and force them to the curb! Not going ten over the speed limit? Honk and flash your brights at the driver's ed car!

One student of mine finished his lesson and we saw a Porsche parked in front of a fire hydrant against oncoming traffic and on cross-bucked space thats clearly marked "DON'T PARK HERE". I said, "don't park like that moron" and the student says, "that's my dad." I was going to get out and talk to the dad about it but I knew it'd be a lost cause to try and correct some grown adult's habit.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Ringo Star Get posted:

One student of mine finished his lesson and we saw a Porsche parked in front of a fire hydrant against oncoming traffic and on cross-bucked space thats clearly marked "DON'T PARK HERE". I said, "don't park like that moron" and the student says, "that's my dad." I was going to get out and talk to the dad about it but I knew it'd be a lost cause to try and correct some grown adult's habit.

"Your dad is an rear end in a top hat. Never park like him."

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

On my way back to Memphis from OKC today on i-40. On three occasions so far, the left lane has been blocked by a BMW driver going 65 mph that will not move into the right lane.

BMW driver from Virginia was giving the finger to every driver who passed him on the right.

Evidently that's how they teach people to drive in Virginia.

:colbert:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

wayfinder posted:

I recently had the pleasure of a bicycle courier gauging the distance between the cars in the left and right lane waiting at a light wrong and going blam blam blam against three or four cars, alternating left and right and tilting our mirrors forward with his rear end and/or messenger bag, ultimately half-stumbling ahead to run the red light we were waiting at. I caught up to him three lights on and made him stop to look for damage on the side of my car together (just a nick on the plastic of the mirror, luckily, no need for insurance and stuff). I don't know how it's handled elsewhere, but as far as I know, in a bicycle/car collision the guy in the car automatically carries a part fault just because they're in a car. SLIGHTLY aggravating when an idiot like that launches himself at you.

No, that isn't how it works anywhere in the US. The problem you will have is the bike may not have insurance (though renters or homeowners should cover him), so you might have to go through your insurance who will then try to recover from him, which is hard.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

did she have anything to say for herself

She was actually really apologetic.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Am I a bad person from secretly getting pleasure out of every bro truck I see spun off or on its side after a huge snow fall/deep freeze? Because I do, and those jack holes tend to drive like morons because they have 4 wheel skid.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Am I a bad person from secretly getting pleasure out of every bro truck I see spun off or on its side after a huge snow fall/deep freeze? Because I do, and those jack holes tend to drive like morons because they have 4 wheel skid.

A couple years ago I watch one slide off the road into a fence trying to take a turn too fast. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

So if you're a bad person, so am I.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

I've shared this story before, probably in this thread, but two years ago I drove my Miata to work during the worst blizzard of the season because the MAF in my Subaru was acting up. I didn't really have any trouble getting there but one morning - the first big snowfall and deep freeze of the storm - I saw a brand new Pathfinder in the ditch. The look on the guy's face as he saw my tiny gay car burble happily past the spot where his invulnerable 4x4 had failed him is something I will cherish forever.

FYI: This particular Miata was also a terrible winter choice between the failing parts-store thermostat, directional snow tires installed in opposite directions on the rear axle, being lowered on coilovers and having Carbotech XP8 pads installed. If I can make it to work in a blizzard in that car I'm pretty sure anyone can do it in anything with the right tires.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 16, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Miata drivers getting their rear end out going through intersections in the snow look like the happiest people in the world. I was considering getting one as a winter beater...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My old coworker never stopped telling stories of his youth in Maine, pulling bro trucks out of ditches with his hardbody without even putting it in 4wd.

So no, you're not a bad person, at least no worse than anyone else.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've shared this story before, probably in this thread, but two years ago I drove my Miata to work during the worst blizzard of the season because the MAF in my Subaru was acting up. I didn't really have any trouble getting there but one morning - the first big snowfall and deep freeze of the storm - I saw a brand new Pathfinder in the ditch. The look on the guy's face as he saw my tiny gay car burble happily past the spot where his invulnerable 4x4 had failed him is something I will cherish forever.

FYI: This particular Miata was also a terrible winter choice between the failing parts-store thermostat, directional snow tires installed in opposite directions on the rear axle, being lowered on coilovers and having Carbotech XP8 pads installed. If I can make it to work in a blizzard in that car I'm pretty sure anyone can do it in anything with the right tires.

This is fantastic. I don't understand what people think 4wd will do for them in a stopping scenario. I think the answer is they don't think period.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Safety Dance posted:

The sidewalk in the middle of a roundabout is really just a stylish apron that's strong enough for tractor trailers to drive over if they need to.
Sometimes the middle of a roundabout is a courthouse.

This is downtown Boise City, OK. The building in the middle is the county courthouse, the line represents the former path of US Highway 287. Blue is northbound, green is southbound. US 287 is a major route that connects the Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex with Denver and all points North and West of Denver. Going through there with a 53 foot trailer was all kinds of fun. Now there is a bypass built in the last 3 years to avoid downtown, but the large truck stop with made-to-order burritos is on the main drag because it was built way before the bypass, so trucks (myself included) still stop there because it's the last decent civilization for 150 miles in any direction.

I will say that the Boise City roundabout was spacious, it just had the horrible combination of stop signs for entering traffic, a shitton of truck traffic, and pedestrian traffic having the right of way to get to THE COURTHOUSE IN THE MIDDLE.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ratbert90 posted:

The only time I've seen it happen was going across I-70 in eastern Colorado when there was a snowstorm with 35mph crosswinds. The pickup heading west right into the storm spun out into the median, kicking up a lot of snow right into my windshield. He recovered and got back on the highway (funny thing about sideways snow, one side of the median is bone dry and if you can get there you're fine) but in his defense it was a sideways snow.

I feel bad about that night. I made it from Laramie WY to Kansas fighting a storm and vowing to outrun it at 35mph and I did. I got to Kansas where it was dry and safe but still very windy. While in a fuel bay, using a crowbar to knock ice and snow off of the trailers, a man asked me if it was safe to head west. He was driving a pickup towing a camper van with a small but very flat profile. I keep kicking myself for not saying "Get a hotel, the wind will flip that poo poo over."

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Last year Atlanta had snow and people freaked the gently caress out and slept in their cars, or just abandoned them all together despite 48hr warning that it was coming. I made sure I was home laughing at the news.

Skip to 1:45. http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ht297f/south-parked

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

Last year Atlanta had snow and people freaked the gently caress out and slept in their cars, or just abandoned them all together despite 48hr warning that it was coming. I made sure I was home laughing at the news.

I loved that photo of the four lane divided road where each side had a goat path, cars off everywhere and one or two on fire.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
MRS.TROGG AM U-TURN AND CUT OFF BUS :downs:

MRS.TROGG AM OUCH :saddowns:

The Swedish laws and regulations need to stop being pussies and start sending every single bill from these sort of accidents to the drivers responsible.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I know I've shared this story before, but I used to have an S-10. When it snowed in Hampton Roads, everyone lost their minds. I took off the camper shell and unloaded everything out of the bed and went drifting around. It was glorious.

As I was headed to Chesapeake on 64, I notice the other side of 64 (separated by a wide, snow-covered median) is at a standstill. No surprise, someone probably wrecked. I then see a big billowing patch of snow in the median, and some lifted blazer just spinning wildly out of control. I slow down just so I can gauge a trajectory for this vehicle in case it's going to come all the way over into oncoming traffic. The median is roughly ditch shaped, so as the blazer gets to the middle, its path is shifted and it's now spinning donuts at about 30mph in a straight line down the center of the median, pedal to the floor. As I pass, I hear a tremendous "WOOOOHOOOOOOOO" coming from every occupant of the vehicle.

Glorious.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm realizing this is the first year I'm going to have to commute in the winter while dealing with traffic. I spent ten years working 2nd and 3rd shifts, so I'd spend a lot of time driving around midnight when the roads were clear and I could gently caress around on them a bit. Now I'm working 9-to-5 and get frustrated driving driving on a clear summer's day. There were some flurries two days ago that weren't sticking to anything and traffic went from 45 mph to 30 mph.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm sitting at NTB getting my winter wheel/tires put on a there is a old man here taking with another gentleman.

Old man here: "I taught my kids to put it in neutral when stopping in the snow/ice"

Oh dear...

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
He doesn't like his kids.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

PaganGoatPants posted:

Despite the fact that everyone in our office can work remotely, I was the only one on my team who worked from home that day. Everyone else went into the office and then spent the next 12-24 hours commuting home and/or freezing to death on the side of the road while I sat safely at home. :v:

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
Everyone at work is fretting about the "storm" we're gonna get tomorrow (er, later today)

It's upstate NY, so realistically an inch of snow and maybe a tenth of an inch of ice isn't terrible, all things considered.

But, it's the first lovely weather for the winter, so, of course, everyone has forgotten how the gently caress to drive in the winter. The morning commute is gonna be a shitshow for some people, and I'm thrilled that I work from 2pm-midnight, so I can sleep right the gently caress through it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Further to my complaint about nearly getting run over in a crosswalk on Friday evening, I then drove somewhere on Saturday afternoon, only to see some other pedestrians nearly get pasted in exactly the same situation, in exactly the same place (though lighting/sun glare can't have been the reason, because it was dark when I nearly got hit, and mid-afternoon when the other people nearly got hit). Have we been accidentally experimenting with letting loving orangutans drive cars or something?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

Further to my complaint about nearly getting run over in a crosswalk on Friday evening, I then drove somewhere on Saturday afternoon, only to see some other pedestrians nearly get pasted in exactly the same situation, in exactly the same place (though lighting/sun glare can't have been the reason, because it was dark when I nearly got hit, and mid-afternoon when the other people nearly got hit). Have we been accidentally experimenting with letting loving orangutans drive cars or something?

Hey now, don't insult orangutans like that!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ratbert90 posted:

You're right, it's probably protosimians. Lemurs and such, and since they're quite small, I imagine they work in teams of two, with one on the steering wheel and one on the pedals. It all makes sense now...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Uthor posted:

I'm realizing this is the first year I'm going to have to commute in the winter while dealing with traffic. I spent ten years working 2nd and 3rd shifts, so I'd spend a lot of time driving around midnight when the roads were clear and I could gently caress around on them a bit. Now I'm working 9-to-5 and get frustrated driving driving on a clear summer's day. There were some flurries two days ago that weren't sticking to anything and traffic went from 45 mph to 30 mph.

Welcome to hell. I would loving kill to be able to drive home at midnight instead of 5:00 during a heavy snow.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ratbert90 posted:

Orangutans signal their turns clearly. Right ones, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

AncientTV posted:

Just adjust your rearview mirror till it's aiming their highbeams right back at their eyes. They turn off the highbeams and the light goes away. And it's not like you're going to be seeing jack poo poo with the rearview till they turn them off anyways.

ratbert90 posted:

Oh hell no. Everything I actually drive is either 4x4 or AWD and I laugh my rear end off when I see some tool in the ditch with their bro'd out 4x4. How are those bald Nitto Mud Grapplers doing for you now, eh? Buy some real tires and learn to loving drive, jackass.