Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

On topic of scumming: I guess I'm weird but I never restart. It's usually fun to try turn a bad start into something good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

omeg posted:

On topic of scumming: I guess I'm weird but I never restart. It's usually fun to try turn a bad start into something good.

I'll do this when I 100% it. Right now I restart constantly on the first 2 floors because I'm making ???/Lamb runs and I don't want to skate a run along by the skin of my teeth until I get 4 minibosses in a tiny room in Sheol and die because I had no other option due to bad RNG.

Seeing how far I can take crappy drops is something I enjoy(I used to do no-upgrade runs in the original) but if I can't get some kind of damage up or better in the first 2 floors I'm restarting. Chucking away 4 minutes is a lot better than 20-25.

Crosspeice posted:

Adding Chocolate Milk to the list of items to only pick up if I've got Brimstone or Ipecac, never pick it up with normal tears, I did more damage by just tapping the keys then actually charging it up.

It's also kinda telling that Cain is the only character I have yet to beat Isaac or Satan with.

Cain was my favorite character in the original because Lucky Foot stopped all negative pills from spawning. It's still obscenely powerful in Rebirth, though, even with a reduced chance. A few positive pills in the first 2-3 floors can make a Cain run stupid easy and the increased luck in general just does more for you over the course of a run.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

What's this, chocolate milk hate? :smuggo:

Admittedly a lot of damage came from flies, but still

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I dunno, chocolate milk has always been pretty fantastic because even if you don't wanna charge you could just mash the buttons to fire super fast and charge up while you were out of range. This was possible in the original too, where people hated chocolate milk as well. Dunno why, it was pretty drat great.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any ideas how to beat the game with the lost other than "git gud"? I guess its finding holy mantle etc, but im not good at getting angel rooms, and even less good at getting angel rooms with items!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Any ideas how to beat the game with the lost other than "git gud"? I guess its finding holy mantle etc, but im not good at getting angel rooms, and even less good at getting angel rooms with items!
Just have luck. Get something that lets you kill stuff before it can kill you and ideally get something that allows you to make at least a small number of mistakes (holy mantle, mask of infamy, defensive orbitals)

But if you don't want to rely on that just git gud.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
There's practically a rule that says you must find yum heart in the item room and fight CHAD if you're playing ???.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Is the steam save in the cloud? Or if I reinstallwill my donated to shop coins be 0 then along with other stuff being reset?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Is the steam save in the cloud? Or if I reinstallwill my donated to shop coins be 0 then along with other stuff being reset?

It should be synced with the cloud, but you may wanna make a backup yourself just in case. The path to the save data can be found in a txt file in the steam folder for Rebirth.

E: O man, this is probably already well known but looking at the log file in the save path gives some insight into floor generation. Now I know that the game forces a set amount of dead ends, apparently.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 15, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's in the cloud.

How do you unlock CHAD, anyway? I've only fought him in the Boss Rush.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
My cutoff for resetting is not getting a combat upgrade on one of the first two floors, either a raw damage up or a tear effect. Something, anything. There are rooms in the caves that can take minutes with base damage, that's not fun.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

FrickenMoron posted:

git lucky

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Brimstone with antigravity is... interesting :stare:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ipecac with soy milk is the most fun I've had with the game yet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You know what doesn't synergize well with Soy Milk? Monstro's Lung. You charge up really fast, but you fire the same number of bullets and they all do soy milk level damage.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bit bummed there's still no 1.02 on PS4. 1.01 came out just a day later than Steam, on the weekend even.

I'm terrified I'm going to lose my progress, or trash another game absent-mindedly, having to delete/shuffle my saves around every time I want to play.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

How do you unlock CHAD, anyway? I've only fought him in the Boss Rush.

Beat the Caves 30 times. It's also how you unlock Gish, Steven and Triachnid, by beating their areas a number of times, though Triachnid is beat the Cathedral 10 times.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

FrickenMoron posted:

Ipecac with soy milk is the most fun I've had with the game yet.

with the random colored shots its so pretty.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

omeg posted:

Brimstone with antigravity is... interesting :stare:

I'm sad they gave it a cool, unique visual effect but the actual results are just a crappier brimstone.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
drat you guys weren't kidding when you talked about how powerful the pinking shears are, They destroy Isaac and ??? in about 15 seconds without any input from the player. Turns out that with the battery you can activate them more then once and have several bodies running around hitting things, that came in very useful with Mega Satan.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
I just annihilated the Chest...with the Lost. I had the Mulligan with the item that gives you bigger flies, 9 lives, Brimstone, and triple shot in time to do the boss rush. I dealt with Mom and It Lives using the Bible, then went on to the Cathedral where I managed to avoid getting hit by Isaac somehow. The first item I got from the Chest was Holy freakin' Mantle. I cleared every room except for a dead end with two Cages because gently caress that room. I used an Empress card for the ??? fight and a Flush! I picked up in one of the Chest rooms to take out his fly spawns when they got bad.

Now if I can do this with Satan and the Dark Room, I'll never have to play the Lost again.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
PAY2PLAY is PAY2WIN. Best rich guy item.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Just finished donating 999 coins. Now all I've got left standing between me and plat god is The Lost.

This is gonna kill me, isn't it.

e: gently caress, my first run got me dead cat and brimstone and I still died on Satan's last form :smith:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 15, 2014

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Dead Onion + Ludovico = OH GOD KILL IT. Fairly effective though.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Did someone say that brimstone and anti-gravity tears don't have synergy? I got Anti-grav tears as Azazel and I was making blood portals that would further spurt fountains of blood. It was pretty metal, but tough to control. It would make a for a good challenge, I think.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Power of Pecota posted:

Crack the sky is like one level above the poop as an activatable item. I'm surprised they didn't buff it since now Lemon Mishap isn't complete garbage and Kamikaze or w/e the suicide vest is called can at least be situationally useful with Pyromaniac.

And Crack The Sky takes what, four charges? It's ludicrous.

I think Infestation Shot is my new favorite thing. I love my spider posse.

And I think I'm at the point where the majority of my runs are overpowered as hell. I just took out Isaac and Satan back to back and every boss was like 15 second fight at most. It's crazy.

That being said, I've twice had runs ended because I started with a low-range character and got wall spiders across a pit that I couldn't reach. I couldn't get my range up enough by running in the direction I was shooting and no bombs meant that I couldn't blow the doors. That's loving dumb.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Did someone say that brimstone and anti-gravity tears don't have synergy? I got Anti-grav tears as Azazel and I was making blood portals that would further spurt fountains of blood. It was pretty metal, but tough to control. It would make a for a good challenge, I think.

To me synergy is when two things are designed to work well together. Anti-gravity tears and brimstone...don't work well together.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Runcible Spoon posted:

So two things. First, does defeating Mega Satan count as a Chest clear for purposes of unlocks, because I have the most unholy bonkers build here.

Second, I'm saving that Azazel seed for your pleasure. By the end of the Chest, I was firing orbiting slowing homing quad-beam Tammy's Head brimstone bursts, with BFF Smart Fly, Distant Admiration, a Bandage Ball, Trinity Shield, and a Dark Bum. I am eagerly awaiting a boss fight with childlike glee.

EDIT: Just in case the screenshot breaks for whatever reason, it's:
B3DA
X77S

I don't know how you got the items you said you did, but I did not get any of them with that seed. (And yes I have them unlocked)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just had several damage ups and flaming tears as the lost, still died to a stray hit to mega maw. Really, having any unlocks tied to this character is absolute bullshit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slime posted:

To me synergy is when two things are designed to work well together. Anti-gravity tears and brimstone...don't work well together.

if you add in magnetic tears it's hilarious though

bloody event horizons yay

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Doctor's Remote is actually pretty great now. Each activation calls down like 4-5 mortars so it'll one-shot a lot of bosses. It only takes 2 rooms to charge too.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
I think the Lump of Coal's effect still works with Soy Milk. Had a Head Trauma challenge run where I ended up getting it after getting Death's Scythe and it turned me into a blender of death.

Edit: Also, gently caress Cat got your tongue...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

And Crack The Sky takes what, four charges? It's ludicrous.

Seriously, compare it to a Krampus Head. Way more damage, you can actually aim it and it takes one less charge.

It would actually be sort of worth holding on to if it only took 1 charge.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

OK, so I was able to beat Suicide King in the end by getting Brimstone, Lil' Brimstone, and Guppy's Paw. How the gently caress are you meant to do it otherwise? I can see how beating Mom's Heart would be feasible, but Isaac? :stare:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

pumpinglemma posted:

OK, so I was able to beat Suicide King in the end by getting Brimstone, Lil' Brimstone, and Guppy's Paw. How the gently caress are you meant to do it otherwise? I can see how beating Mom's Heart would be feasible, but Isaac? :stare:

I beat it by aiming very carefully and taking my time during boss fights.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

pumpinglemma posted:

If you get some +shot speed up boosters it's quite doable, since the shot doesn't care about z-axis. You do a shitload of damage, so it's not like bosses take a long time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I managed to get enough damage ups and shot speed etc that I could aim my shots like regular ipecac.

Still beating my head against a wall trying to get anywhere with the lost, one hit kills are just too cruel.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

pumpinglemma posted:

Haven't done it yet, but my guess would be circling him and firing at him whenever you are above or below him. You should have sufficient range to hit him without the tear coming back. I honestly think It Lives would be harder with a boomerang ipecac. But I've yet to do that challenge so what do I know.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yodzilla posted:

I think Infestation Shot is my new favorite thing. I love my spider posse.

I was really pleasantly surprised when I learned it worked with familiar shots and what should have been an absolutely garbage Family Man run made it to the Cathedral. I would have probably beaten it off of that if not for running into The Adversary.

pumpinglemma posted:

Challenges are gonna be pretty boring for me for a while now, Suicide King + Family Man are going to be hoping for Brimstone/Lil Brimstone, hoping for Brimstone/Lil Brimstone, zzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I learned well from the tip of not letting the shot reflect. Just run at the enemy, fire your shot and quick backpedal. You only need to worry if you miss your shot, but the challenge isn't that bad if you try and ignore the reflection part of the challenge.