Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Maybe my sample is skewed working in psychiatry but I'd say close to 75% of the service users I work with have been abused as kids, mostly sexually. I don't think my experience is that unusual. That's a lot of kids being abused. Someone's doing all that kid loving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serotonin posted:

Maybe my sample is skewed working in psychiatry but I'd say close to 75% of the service users I work with have been abused as kids, mostly sexually. I don't think my experience is that unusual. That's a lot of kids being abused. Someone's doing all that kid loving.

Right, but the stats suggest it's a relatively small part of a small part of the population doing the actual loving (as in, you have to be a paedophile and you have to be sufficiently rich and influential to have a broad target area and state cooperation). I mean, poo poo, how do they even find the time?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

What surprises me is how widespread this is. I mean, paedophilia isn't especially common as paraphilias go, is it? And yet every other major public figure from the '70s and '80s seems to have bee a nonce.

That's what always gets me too. Not that so much people were able to do it (which obviously is terrible), but that so many people wanted to. It's a completely alien idea.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

What surprises me is how widespread this is. I mean, paedophilia isn't especially common as paraphilias go, is it? And yet every other major public figure from the '70s and '80s seems to have bee a nonce.

Ted Heath wanted to become a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, an incredibly selective and prestigious yacht club. Despite being an ex-PM and an excellent sailor, he was somehow turned down for membership. Now it makes sense why they didn't want him...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
An entirely uneducated guess but maybe it's underrepresented due to the heavy stigma. People joke about so and so loving sheep/goats but not many people joke about so and so being a paedo. Get a load of powerful people together all watching each others backs and providing a safe environment and bam, suddenly its a lot more popular. Not a very nice outlook on human nature but nothing surprises me anymore.

Think about how many retards made "ironic" "jokes" about Emma Watson reaching legal age.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Don't call people retards, dude.

Although funny you should mention it, people with learning difficulties are most likely to be abused of all.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Darth Walrus posted:

(as in, you have to be a paedophile and you have to be sufficiently rich and influential to have a broad target area and state cooperation)

There was speculation in the thread during the height of paedogeddon that the former actually results from the latter in most cases.

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, poo poo, how do they even find the time?

It's more like where would they find the time for a normal relationship outside of work. It's not like having a backstage quickie with a consenting adult is really an option either, since nobody would have any reservations about exposing that to the world, and then you're out on your rear end for setting a bad example for the kiddies.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, but the stats suggest it's a relatively small part of a small part of the population doing the actual loving (as in, you have to be a paedophile and you have to be sufficiently rich and influential to have a broad target area and state cooperation). I mean, poo poo, how do they even find the time?

It's glib pop-psychology but I've always thought that it's a power thing; it's not surprising that famous and/or powerful people would get off on expressing power over someone.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Noticing a lot of Ted Heath discussion here, have accusations been made and I've missed them or is it just stemming from the "confirmed bachelor" thing?

thehustler posted:

Priority seats, would never take a wheelchair space. I'm Edinburgh too and our buses rock.

Hail to thee, fellow Lothian busser! :) Coming from the arse end of nowhere where public transport is just hideous, I will always have an undying love for our buses.

Glares and comments of folk in priority seats seem to be a thing that I've sometimes seen on some bus routes, but not on others at all. Invariably seen them on the "fogeybuses" as I call the likes of the 23 and 21. Sad that she's had problems with it though. I know on the rare occasions I've had to use a priority seat (was on crutches for a bit last October), I was very pointedly positioning the crutches for maximum visibility to avoid any comments, but that sort of thing shouldn't be necessary.

All we need in Edinburgh is to be able to top up our ridacards online. And maybe use them on trains too somehow like an oyster. And it would be perfect. Well, and for my bus to not be hideously late every morning!

Coohoolin posted:

Allan Grogan joined, surely that's a sign.

Since he's doing a significant share of the wooing, I'm sure he'd like it to be a sign! He's got a bunch of pals on board (I've even helped with the recruiting) but I'm just really slow at coming to a decision on anything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Did she agree to try it?

The lady was not for turning.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Thanks for the links but I just want one day where I don't learn about a horrific abuse of the weakest by the most powerful. :(

Then why do you come into the politics threads?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Acaila posted:

Noticing a lot of Ted Heath discussion here, have accusations been made and I've missed them or is it just stemming from the "confirmed bachelor" thing?

Accusations have been made for years but mostly by the David Icke types - TTBOMK no actual victims have come forward.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

Then why do you come into the politics threads?

Crisp chat.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

quote:

Former SNP leader Alex Salmond has said it would be "foolish" for his party to rule out entering into a coalition at Westminster.

During a BBC interview he made it clear it was "out of the question" that a deal could be done with the Conservative Party.

But he said there were "other options" that should be considered.

Hell yeah. I suspect SNP/Labour is about the most optimal scenario we can hope for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Hell yeah. I suspect SNP/Labour is about the most optimal scenario we can hope for.

SNP/Labour/Greens might have its perks.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Darth Walrus posted:

SNP/Labour/Greens might have its perks.

I dunno, what are the Green party polling these days? If they're a one MP (as they are now) kingmaker that parliament is doomed from the start; it's giving way too much power to literally every member of the caucus; any one of them can walk and trigger a vote of no confidence. You'd need incredible party unity over three parties.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

SNP/Labour could have hilarious consequences for Holyrood. Would hand the SNP even more power than just being part of the Westminster government, because they could make sure ScotLab couldn't slag them too much or "Woops! If that's how you feel, you won't want our help in London then!"

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

CoolCab posted:

I dunno, what are the Green party polling these days? If they're a one MP (as they are now) kingmaker that parliament is doomed from the start; it's giving way too much power to literally every member of the caucus; any one of them can walk and trigger a vote of no confidence. You'd need incredible party unity over three parties.

There are seats such as Bristol West that they have a decent chance at winning - mainly LibDem seats in middle-class/intellectual urban areas.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Greens took around 2-3 more MPs after the election.

Their own polling hasn't changed much, but the collapse of LibDem support means they have a better chance at winning certain seats.

Margaret Thatcher fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 15, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Accusations have been made for years but mostly by the David Icke types - TTBOMK no actual victims have come forward.
What were the things that Icke was accidentally right about? I recall there were a couple of major ones, but he seems to operate on 'throw everything at the wall'.

I'm fairly sure it wasn't the hollow earth lizard Nazis, although they are making an Iron Sky sequel.

Jedit posted:

:golfclap:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

2015 election will be labour in Bristol South, has been since the 1930s but Karin Smyth is taking over Dawn Primarolo so I don't know.

Anyone have any ideas who they will be voting for this time around?

From 2010 Election:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 15, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

What were the things that Icke was accidentally right about? I recall there were a couple of major ones, but he seems to operate on 'throw everything at the wall'.

He predicted the US would have a spate of mass shooting in 2012, which it did.
He guessed that the US would suffer an attack on a major city between 2000-2002 and hurricanes would hit the Gulf of Mexico and New Orleans in 2000.
But really the Saville stuff is the thing he's been the closest on, even if it all sounded mental at the time.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

quote:

Nicola Sturgeon has used her first speech as SNP leader to predict the party could hold the "balance of power" after the next general election.

Ms Sturgeon said the SNP would never do a deal which would put the Conservatives into power in the event of a hung parliament.

But she said Scotland could gain much from a Labour government at Westminster that depended on SNP MPs for support.

More of the same, extremely my poo poo. Labour needs a monkey on it's back dragging it to the left, it's already got a shitload of rich benefactors pulling it right.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Fluo posted:

From 2010 Election:

An LF exit poll?

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Don't SNP MPs have a policy of not voting on matters which have been devolved to Holyrood? I'd have thought that'd be a major issue with any government relying on SNP backing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Crameltonian posted:

Don't SNP MPs have a policy of not voting on matters which have been devolved to Holyrood? I'd have thought that'd be a major issue with any government relying on SNP backing.

They did, but the noises the official and unofficial leaders are making pretty clearly indicate they're being sane and are dropping it. Terrible policy anyway.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Any SNP arrangement with Labour in 2015 would be a confidence/supply deal. They wouldn't enter a formal coalition as their MPs only vote in matters reserved to Westminster.

It would be essentially be EVEL without any constitutional change.

[edit] Plus being a Jr. member of a Westminster coalition, how did that work out for the Liberals?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

fuctifino posted:

Another friend is a care home manager for problem children, and she is completely helpless stopping the children there from being abused. It is illegal for the staff to physically restrain the children from leaving, and they are regularly picked up by the same men. She's photographed the men, taken down the number plates of the cars and has made repeated complaints to the police - yet nothing has ever been done to stop the abuse.

Savile was just the tip of a massive iceberg :(

Friends of ours adopted a young child from Russia, and specifically had to spend several years training her out of bad habits around men, and told us that all of the other parents who they talked to who adopted from there and similar countries all basically said that the same thing. My wife didn't understand how it could be like that, and how a toddler would have to learn those habits, but it's quite obvious that marginalized and vulnerable children (.. and employees) have been always preyed upon by the powerful and wealthy, regardless of the country.

Tip of the iceberg - there's been rumors that Sandusky was also not some lone actor, and it's kind of obvious that there's no way that tons of people didn't know, and highly unlikely that he was alone. Rather than taking a long hard look at all the other charities like the one he was using for access, it's basically being treated like some random bad apple, that just happened to get enough visibility that it couldn't be ignored. Maybe the FBI is investigating the specific charity further, but there's been a distinct lack of an epiphany, even though if you know about Savile it's obvious there's way too many parallels between the two cases.

You guys seem to actually be on some track to actually investigate this poo poo, much like the phone hacking stuff in the press, but as I watch the stories it's quite obvious that the same things are almost certainly happening here. It's just not a priority, almost certainly because abusers aren't specifically from one political faction or family or affiliation. It's also something so generally shocking that it's too hard for people to actually believe.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I believe the policy is not voting on issues that don't affect Scotland. Devolved =/= the only issues that affect Scotland.

And coalitions aren't necessarily bad. We had two terms of Lab/Lib coalition in Scotland with no major issues. It's just that the Lib Dems have enabled hideous Tory policies rather than doing what they did at Holyrood and nixing bad ideas that Labour had. The only thing they've really got out of the Tory coalition was the AV referendum.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

keep punching joe posted:

Any SNP arrangement with Labour in 2015 would be a confidence/supply deal. They wouldn't enter a formal coalition as their MPs only vote in matters reserved to Westminster.

It would be essentially be EVEL without any constitutional change.

[edit] Plus being a Jr. member of a Westminster coalition, how did that work out for the Liberals?

The SNP want the nukes out of Faslane as a red line for any S&C deal.

It's all academic, as Labour would never enter into any agreement with the SNP. They hate the SNP more than the Tories.

Acaila posted:

I believe the policy is not voting on issues that don't affect Scotland. Devolved =/= the only issues that affect Scotland.

And coalitions aren't necessarily bad. We had two terms of Lab/Lib coalition in Scotland with no major issues. It's just that the Lib Dems have enabled hideous Tory policies rather than doing what they did at Holyrood and nixing bad ideas that Labour had. The only thing they've really got out of the Tory coalition was the AV referendum.

To be fair, gay marriage is unquestionably a Lib Dem thing too. It sure as hell didn't come from the Tories, and Labour were planning on poison pilling the bill at some points.

That, and the rise in income tax thresholds, which both Cameron and Brown opposed in the TV debates. Other than that… yeah.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 15, 2014

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
A lot of people voted for the Liberal Democrats focusing on their left wing policies while failing to notice they're otherwise pretty much a Libertarian party. The Tories could offer them concessions on that side which, surprise surprise, enraged their left wing base; Libertarian/Conservative make much less strange bedfellows then Liberal/Conservative.

e:

TinTower posted:

It's all academic, as Labour would never enter into any agreement with the SNP. They hate the SNP more than the Tories.

I dunno, if the choice is between "align with the SNP and gain power" and "hung, useless parliament" they aren't going to have a choice.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

KKKlean Energy posted:

An LF exit poll?

Back in 2010 election before LF died the UK election thread was in LF with a poll on who you voted for. :v:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
The stage at which the SNP/Labour animosity really matters is going to be campaign spending; if Labour spends all their money fighting a lost fight in Scotland, the Tories will likely get in. They wouldn't be that stupid, r...right? :smith:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Fluo posted:

Back in 2010 election before LF died the UK election thread was in LF with a poll on who you voted for. :v:

gently caress I remember that colour scheme. I think I voted TUSC. Hilariously I wasn't a member of any left group at that point which is probably why I had a positive opinion of them.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

namesake posted:

gently caress I remember that colour scheme. I think I voted TUSC. Hilariously I wasn't a member of any left group at that point which is probably why I had a positive opinion of them.

I voted Labour because I wasn't going to vote libdems and it was one less vote for the tories. Greens and other parties aren't really that popular in Bristol South.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

TinTower posted:

I don't think they'll waste negotiating capital on nukes, everyone should be able to see that there is an overwhelming majority in the house between Lab/Lib/Con who will support renewal. Even a Labour minority government where nothing else could get done would have no trouble passing Trident renewal.

If the SNP try for that it'll be a big mistake imo.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

twoot posted:

I don't think they'll waste negotiating capital on nukes, everyone should be able to see that there is an overwhelming majority in the house between Lab/Lib/Con who will support renewal. Even a Labour minority government where nothing else could get done would have no trouble passing Trident renewal.

It plays to their base, well...some of their base. It leads to the contradictory position that you saw during the referendum where there was a threat of them being moved out of Scotland and the nearest politically viable place was across the loving Atlantic: everyone wants the stimulus nukes represent, most people want to retain the power of being a nuclear state, absolutely loving no one wants missile platforms on their turf.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

twoot posted:

Are you sure Labour is even too concerned with renewing trident any more?

If Tony Blair was still in charge, I could see why that might be an issue. But Miliband seems like he could be a bit more progressive when it comes to things like trident.

Though I don't think Labour has had a public stance for the last few years, so who knows.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

He predicted the US would have a spate of mass shooting in 2012, which it did.
He guessed that the US would suffer an attack on a major city between 2000-2002 and hurricanes would hit the Gulf of Mexico and New Orleans in 2000.
But really the Saville stuff is the thing he's been the closest on, even if it all sounded mental at the time.

None of these are exactly world-shattering predictions though. Hurricanes happen every year and the Gulf is a major area they hit, "an attack" is generic enough that you could have probably pointed at twenty things that didn't happen on 9/11 that happened in that timeframe (especially if you see every accident as a part of a conspiracy) and as for mass shootings, they're unfortunately getting as common as the weather in the States.

Don't let selection bias trick you into thinking they have any actual knowledge derived from anything other than Google and untreated mental illness.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

None of these are exactly world-shattering predictions though. Hurricanes happen every year and the Gulf is a major area they hit, "an attack" is generic enough that you could have probably pointed at twenty things that didn't happen on 9/11 that happened in that timeframe (especially if you see every accident as a part of a conspiracy) and as for mass shootings, they're unfortunately getting as common as the weather in the States.

Don't let selection bias trick you into thinking they have any actual knowledge derived from anything other than Google and untreated mental illness.

My favorite way of explaining this is the Texan sharpshooter effect. A poor marksman unloads at the broad side of a barn, observes where the highest concentration of bullet holes happens to be and then draws a target around them: tah-dah! Look at what a good shot he is!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Darth Walrus posted:

Im afraid the majority of sexual abuse is carried out within the family home. Theres certainly paedo rings connected to big organisations (church, Parliament, police etc), Ive met victims of these rings, but they are the minority. Most people are abused by family members or close family friends. I doubt many of those abusers consider themselves paedos either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Margaret Thatcher posted:

Are you sure Labour is even too concerned with renewing trident any more?

If Tony Blair was still in charge, I could see why that might be an issue. But Miliband seems like he could be a bit more progressive when it comes to things like trident.

Though I don't think Labour has had a public stance for the last few years, so who knows.

Labour hasn't had a public stance on anything for the last few years. They don't want to scare away those vital Tory voters who just might vote labour this time!? Better to chase them and ignore the entire traditional left base.

• Locked thread