Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For all they knew it was a recon glider hanging around overhead and recording/reporting everything they were doing :shrug:.

I suppose! It still seems like given what we've seen so far regarding how the pirates operate it would make more sense to want to capture whoever it is. Her jump to shoot it down just seemed really dumb to me! Hell, half of the attacks in this series seem to be intentionally non-lethal.

... aside from Bell's record, anyway. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I've got a feeling that the lady in next episode's preview might be a moon-person coming to check up on Raraiya.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Overlord K posted:

I suppose! It still seems like given what we've seen so far regarding how the pirates operate it would make more sense to want to capture whoever it is. Her jump to shoot it down just seemed really dumb to me! Hell, half of the attacks in this series seem to be intentionally non-lethal.

... aside from Bell's record, anyway. :v:

She didn't know what it was until Bell caught it, she just thought it was an enemy unit coming from the tower, since she was taking the shot beyond clear visual range, using her radar to locate it.

She left to intercept it before her dad was able to pinpoint what it was.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

*Stuff is exploding dozens of kilometers away*

Wilmit: "That is my son!"

I wonder what Bellri did at home that his mother associates this with him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lurking Haro posted:

*Stuff is exploding dozens of kilometers away*

Wilmit: "That is my son!"

I wonder what Bellri did at home that his mother associates this with him.

She knows he's with the pirates, and they're the only source of combat anywhere near Capital Tower :ms:.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Red Bones posted:

I've got a feeling that the lady in next episode's preview might be a moon-person coming to check up on Raraiya.

Why would she be wearing the uniform for Mask's unit and apparently be on that carrier, then?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Oh, I didn't notice those were Mask's unit's pilot suits, but yeah, hers is just bright pink and has the same weird little sword thing that Mask has. Between the space costume and the giant robot bunny ears, she just looked a lot more alien than anyone else we've seen so far.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Red Bones posted:

Oh, I didn't notice those were Mask's unit's pilot suits, but yeah, hers is just bright pink and has the same weird little sword thing that Mask has. Between the space costume and the giant robot bunny ears, she just looked a lot more alien than anyone else we've seen so far.

She actually has a very similar face to the OTHER girl in the Mask unit but unless she's wearing a wig and contacts to try out the whole "pilot" thing I don't see why they would change her design again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raku posted:

She actually has a very similar face to the OTHER girl in the Mask unit but unless she's wearing a wig and contacts to try out the whole "pilot" thing I don't see why they would change her design again.

I really doubt that, as she seems to be pretty prominently shown in the end credits.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tomino is going around yelling "die!" at animators in the middle of the night when he doesn't think they're doing a good enough job.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tomino also kicked Fukui Harutoshi (The writer of Gundam Unicorn) after he read the Turn A Novelization that he also did. It was a very hard kick.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gundam Sousei was not an exaggeration.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Tomino also kicked Fukui Harutoshi (The writer of Gundam Unicorn) after he read the Turn A Novelization that he also did. It was a very hard kick.

Guy's apparently a bit of a hard-right nationalist, if we're talking about the one who wrote the original Unicorn novel. I doubt Tomino needed much of an excuse.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really doubt that, as she seems to be pretty prominently shown in the end credits.

Just as prominently as the two versions of the other girl, in fact! Well actually less so.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Eiba posted:

SU-Cordism, Kashiba Mikoshi, moon, etc blah blah blah

The SU-Cordists bring photon batteries to the Capital Tower from the holy land of Towasanga. In this episode, Bellri's mother revealed to us that the photon batteries are manufactured and given to the Capital Tower from a facility on the moon known as Kashiba Mikoshi. Lalaiya shows a strange recognition of the word Towasanga when she hears it, and Bellri deduces that she is from Towasanga because she appears to be used to wearing a spacesuit. Towasanga, the land of the holy SU-Cordists, is the moon. The Capital Tower connects the Earth to the moon. Ameria's observation of the moon has revealed that other man-made facilities on the moon have popped up in recent years, to a very large extent as we can see from the photograph.

This is the "threat from space" that Ameria and the Capital are fearing -- there's some kind of expansion effort going on there, possibly preparation and military build-up for an invasion of some kind. At the same time there's this taboo against astronomical observation. Director Wilmett is mortified by the possibility that the very SU-Cordists that the Capital reveres would turn on them and destroy them.

Ryas fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 15, 2014

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The Taboo reminds me of another show Tomino was involved with, Xabungle. Particularly the relationship between the Innocents and the Civilians, and how the Civilians had to follow certain rules in exchange for support from the technologically superior Innocents.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Red Bones posted:

Yeah the robo-rabbit ears pretty much confirm that.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Azipod posted:

Its really funny how serious and intense Mask is compared to the rest of the cast. Yelling about balloons and islands and WHAT IS THIS!?!

I really liked the "What is an island doing there!?" as he almost crashes into it.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
I wonder if SU-Cordists end up being the ancestors of those people in Turn A who worship the moon.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

G-arcane can vent energy too...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

I wonder if SU-Cordists end up being the ancestors of those people in Turn A who worship the moon.

Nah, those people are simply descendants of the original Moonrace settlers that Dianna sent down about 2 centuries beforehand when she came down and met Will Game. They left some folks behind when they went back to the Moon to get the ball rolling on the whole return thing, which is why the hippie folks know about the Moonrace. They worship it because over the years the kids of succeeding generations twisted the information passed on to them until it became what you see in show. It's also why they face discrimination from the normal Moonrace folks and feel hard done by about it. It's all covered in the show.

In other news, one of the guys over on /m/ started translating one of the Turn-A artbooks, which reveals some very telling info about the setting and which would appear to be rather directly connected to G-Reco. In fact, it makes it seem like Tomino is simply making a series out of some of the background info that he put together for Turn-A 15 years ago. I'm just going to put a spoilers warning here before I post the link, because while the relevant information could end up not happening and Tomino changing his mind regarding the setting over the years, it would seem that the link contains some big spoilers regarding the events of G-Reco.

The stuff he's translated so far can be found at: http://pastebin.com/nndzmTeg

I say so far because he's apparently going to do more, though I've no idea how much or when obviously. Still, this is some very interesting stuff. The relevant stuff is below and again, could potentially be regarded as spoilers for G-Reco, up to and including the probably finale:

"TE Spoilers Guy posted:

At the end of the Universal Century, it seemed that the countless space wars would finally come to an end, but the unending consumption had reduced Earth's resources close to zero. During this age, Earth was still the center of human civilization, and mankind sought to restore civilization on Earth. To do this they needed massive amounts of materials, which had to be mined from asteroids which were moved near to Earth. The Sackträger's predecessor, the fixed orbital elevator, was built in order to make moving the mined resources down to Earth easier. This megastructure was also supposed to be a symbol of peace, and Earth did in fact have peace for a few hundred years after the construction of the orbital elevator. It seems that there might have been several orbital elevators during this period, and that Manupiti was the Earthside base station for them, and there is (in Turn A's age) a fuctioning mass driver in Manupiti. After several hundred years, however, another space war erupted and the orbital elevators were destroyed. The remains of the orbital elevators falling from space caused massive damage to Earth, and it is said that some of these parts were later used to built the Sackträger in Manupiti's legends of the Branch of Ades. That the parts of the orbital elevators were used to build the Sackträger is not true, however, as they were products of entirely different ages; The elevator collapse was such a huge disaster that as ages passed it continued to be passed down and memories and records of history ended up getting compressed and combining the records of the two completely different megastructures. Also, the helmet worn by the king of Manupiti is based on astronaut helmets from long ago. Either way,the fixed orbital elevator was never rebuilt, and instead the rotation-type Sackträger was built instead.

So yea, it looks like we may be seeing the return of Kill 'em all Tomino. It does however, make me curious if Tomino is already planning some sequel series that move the setting on another couple of hundred years and picks back up around the time of the Zacktraeger - a Zeta to G-Reco's 0079 as it were.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 19, 2014

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

tsob posted:

Nah, those people are simply descendants of the original Moonrace settlers that Dianna sent down about 2 centuries beforehand when she came down and met Will Game. They left some folks behind when they went back to the Moon to get the ball rolling on the whole return thing, which is why the hippie folks know about the Moonrace. They worship it because over the years the kids of succeeding generations twisted the information passed on to them until it became what you see in show. It's also why they face discrimination from the normal Moonrace folks and feel hard done by about it. It's all covered in the show.

D'oh! Thanks for setting me straight; I last saw Turn A about 6 years ago so I'm fuzzy on details.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

tsob posted:

Interesting stuff

Then what happened to the Moonrace? Obviously the surfacers are doomed if we take this as part of Turn A, but I got the impression that the Moon people survived the wars fairly well. Because there's enough solar panels on there to be visible from Earth in G-Reco and they're plainly not there by Dianna's time.

-There's also the fact that Turn A has loopy stuff like G Gundam or Gundam X as part of the continuity, though that seems more like an animation joke than anything serious.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
According to Turn-A, the Moonrace are just folks who fled to the Moon during the Turn-A's apocalyptic use of the Moonlight Butterfly. They wanted to return to the Earth, because that's where they, or their ancestors were from and they were sick of living on the Moon with it's limited resources and fragile systems where any mistakes or problems practically ensured death for someone given the waiting void of space so close to hand. While someone is definitely living on the Moon in G-Reco, they don't have to be the same folks and whatever systems are in place there at the moment can be destroyed, deconstructed etc. in the intervening centuries.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Grimoire, why are you such a sexy suit??

I'm curious what they'll come up with for the other factions (there's what, 4 more that could have some sexy suits for us?) in the series, Ameria/Elevator people is getting all the love.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pimpmust posted:

Grimoire, why are you such a sexy suit??

I'm curious what they'll come up with for the other factions (there's what, 4 more that could have some sexy suits for us?) in the series, Ameria/Elevator people is getting all the love.

Grimoir and Montaro both look fabbo after painting, it's just the rubbish colour of the bare plastic that let the kits down.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I hate how they all get chumped so easily, I know they're outdated but it would be nice to see another Grimoire shine a bit.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I hate how they all get chumped so easily, I know they're outdated but it would be nice to see another Grimoire shine a bit.

The shined plenty in the last episode. In fact their deaths were the most detailed parts of the episode!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Gimme a Jagd/Stürm upgraded Grimoire.

I'm sad that Bell didn't bother actually fighting in the Jahanam either :saddowns:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

So yea, it looks like we may be seeing the return of Kill 'em all Tomino. It does however, make me curious if Tomino is already planning some sequel series that move the setting on another couple of hundred years and picks back up around the time of the Zacktraeger - a Zeta to G-Reco's 0079 as it were.

I still think G-Reco's going to be capped with the Moonlit Butterfly, rather than leading into something further.

Regarding the structures on the Moon, what are the odds they beat the poo poo out the moon people and then have to hide in the ruins of their colonies because Moonlit Butterfly kicks off on Earth?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Grimoir and Montaro both look fabbo after painting, it's just the rubbish colour of the bare plastic that let the kits down.

I love the fact that the HG kits apparently have enough space in the head to cram the LED in. LEDs make everything better.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's that time of the year again. Here's a look at some upcoming suits.

The Trick Pack, not to be confused with the Tricky Pack (no seriously)

The... Jaiohn? I dunno. Figured it was a new Gundam at first, but the lack of a G in the name probably means it's for an ace. Maybe Klim's new ride?

And the Mack Knife (Mask Custom). You have three guesses who this is for and the first two don't count.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 20, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Knife's got an odd design - it's clearly drawing inspiration from the Elf Bull series, but it has an Amerian cockpit.

The Jaiohn looks like it might be the Capital Tower's ultimate suit, unless there's a ball in the torso that I'm missing.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 20, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Not happy with the McKnife, it just doesn't look as good as the Elf Bull.

Maybe it's the colour, line paneling, or just that I'm a sucker for suits with high heels (I have no idea what that says about me) but the Trick (not Tricky) Pack G-Self looks sweet compared to the standard one. It's just a shame about the detail on the big pods, looks like you pretty much have to draw the detail on.

I'm keen to see more of the "Jaiohn", it's like an AGE design where the designer wasn't content to leave it looking boring. Want to see what the back hands do, both in terms of possibility and what they do in the show. It looks like they can drape over the shoulders and make a cape.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Are they really naming a mobile suit after an old Jazz Tune?

On a sidewalk, blue Sunday mornin'
Lies a body just oozin' life
Some, someone's sneakin' 'round a corner
could that someone be Old Mack the Knife?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Azipod posted:

I know it would never happen, but I'd probably poo poo my pants if this ever played during the "zoom in on Mask's face" scenes that we seem to swim in when he appears in the Elf Bull.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

And the Mack Knife (Mask Custom). You have three guesses who this is for and the first two don't count.

Okay that's not a Mobile Suit, that's a groin-mounted cockpit short of an Orbital Frame :colbert:. Is there a link for the G-Reco kits? They weren't in the other link you posted with the other announced kits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay that's not a Mobile Suit, that's a groin-mounted cockpit short of an Orbital Frame :colbert:.

All you needed to do was move an Elf Bullock's cockpit down a little and you'd have one of those already.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Azipod posted:

Tomino named his most famous character after old-school French singer Charles Aznavour, so I wouldn't dismiss that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay that's not a Mobile Suit, that's a groin-mounted cockpit short of an Orbital Frame :colbert:. Is there a link for the G-Reco kits? They weren't in the other link you posted with the other announced kits.

It's an Orbital Frame with a Mazinger style head and even has what could be a tiny pilder in there too. The Jaiohn on the other hand looks like it could be based off the Tricky pack given the configuration of bits on the back.

• Locked thread