Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Amazing photos, guys.

Can either of you guys give me some hints? Like, how long did you do for both of them? You're stacking, right? Do either of you have an intervalometer? If 3 hours plus, how are you getting all the battery power?

Also, like, favourite aperture, ISO, WB, would be cool to know. I'm rocking out on WB 4000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
1600 ISO, f3.5, 30 second exposures, at 10mm on a wide angle lens. Used a freeware thing called StarStax to stack them, and I like a tungsten white balance with some shadow + black tweaks to silhouette the barn better.

Mine was ~350 exposures. Used a decomissioned iPhone 4 to drive a TriggerTrap mobile (these are really handy!) until the phone died, about 3.5 to 4 hours. Trust me on this: remove any filter you may have to prevent the lens-to-filter pocket from fogging up overnight, this happened to me in steamy Myanmar and in the cold nights of Northern Ontario, so I think it's going to be a commandment going forward.

The camera battery pack was fine - 7D with two aftermarket batteries in a battery grip.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Ok, so this question is really dumb, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm hoping someone could clarify this for me a bit.

Do longer exposures, in any way reduce the amount of light in the shot? I'm watching a video of a guy taking a nighttime shot of some rocks with a small brick building in the background. He paints the rocks with this massive flashlight, nick named "The Sun" or something. The shot comes out looking pretty decent but I'm thinking if you're shining "the sun" at a rock it should show up as white on the camera. As a note, he shot at ISO100 for 18 minutes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In short, yes.

If you use a very small aperture at a low ISO, you'll need a whole bunch of light over a long period to get it to show up in the image. When you're talking about 18 minutes of time, a couple seconds of light from a flashlight is not going to be enough to overexpose anything.

I can't think of a great way to explain it other than go buy a copy of Understanding Exposure, it should help you visualize what's going on a lot better.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

In short, yes.

If you use a very small aperture at a low ISO, you'll need a whole bunch of light over a long period to get it to show up in the image. When you're talking about 18 minutes of time, a couple seconds of light from a flashlight is not going to be enough to overexpose anything.

I can't think of a great way to explain it other than go buy a copy of Understanding Exposure, it should help you visualize what's going on a lot better.
Sorry, let me clarify a bit.

Given:
Situation A: ISO100, f/22, 18 minutes
Situation B: ISO100, f/22, 30 seconds

If you have a quantity of light X, will both situations register it as X or would A register it at (fake values I just made up) X and then B register it at .23*X. (So that 23% less light gets in)

Less technical, if you took situations A and B, illuminated a large rock for 5s in each shot, would that rock look exactly the same in both shots?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

huhu posted:

Sorry, let me clarify a bit.

Given:

If you have a quantity of light X, will both situations register it as X or would A register it at (fake values I just made up) X and then B register it at .23*X. (So that 23% less light gets in)

Less technical, if you took situations A and B, illuminated a large rock for 5s in each shot, would that rock look exactly the same in both shots?
No.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Piquai Souban posted:

1600 ISO, f3.5, 30 second exposures, at 10mm on a wide angle lens. Used a freeware thing called StarStax to stack them, and I like a tungsten white balance with some shadow + black tweaks to silhouette the barn better.

Mine was ~350 exposures. Used a decomissioned iPhone 4 to drive a TriggerTrap mobile (these are really handy!) until the phone died, about 3.5 to 4 hours. Trust me on this: remove any filter you may have to prevent the lens-to-filter pocket from fogging up overnight, this happened to me in steamy Myanmar and in the cold nights of Northern Ontario, so I think it's going to be a commandment going forward.

The camera battery pack was fine - 7D with two aftermarket batteries in a battery grip.

Oh man, that's awesome, and I immediately bought a triggertrap. I've been thinking about buying an intervalometer anyway, so that's great. I'll check out starstax too, I've just been using that photoshop action.

huhu posted:

Given:

Yes, if you're in a room with zero light sources. No in any other scenario. And no for the first scenario if you're shooting at F22, ISO100. This is a weird scenario.

Really, if you have a camera, just give it a go. That's how you get a better understanding of long exposure photography. I guarantee you everyone in this thread had to take a bunch of lovely photos before they got anything good.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helmacron posted:

Amazing photos, guys.

Can either of you guys give me some hints? Like, how long did you do for both of them? You're stacking, right? Do either of you have an intervalometer? If 3 hours plus, how are you getting all the battery power?

Also, like, favourite aperture, ISO, WB, would be cool to know. I'm rocking out on WB 4000.
Mine were all at f/4, 30 seconds, 3200 ISO, 18.3mm on an APS-C sensor (28mm equivalent). They were taken with a Ricoh GR which has a built in intervelometer (awesome). It was a full battery and lasted almost exactly 3 hours. White balance was on auto I believe. I use the free stacking software downloaded at startrails.de and it's pretty easy. Here's a good link for everything you need to consider when taking star trails.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
These are shot on some film while I was half-cut about during last New Years, the roll has been in the fridge a while. Cross posted with the large format thread:

Over Melbourne by mr_student, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Spedman posted:

These are shot on some film while I was half-cut about during last New Years, the roll has been in the fridge a while. Cross posted with the large format thread:

This is awesome but imo you should fix the vertical distortion.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
I think star trails are one of those things that seemed a lot more straightforward with a battery-free camera. I used a $5 shutter cable on my fed 2. The main problem I ran into was light pollution/clouds. You have to have a nice dark sky, ideally a night with a new moon. I'm going to try again next time I go camping somewhere remote and try to get some better shots.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I finally got a remote for my camera but it's the rainy season now and the next cloudless night will probably be in January. : suicide:

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
No stars in New York.

early riser by thetzar, on Flickr

the giant metal snake by thetzar, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Panama 078 by esa_foto, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

huhu posted:

I finally got a remote for my camera but it's the rainy season now and the next cloudless night will probably be in January. : suicide:

where are you?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Pukestain Pal posted:

where are you?

Using my detective skills (photo title) I am going to say Panama.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

P9290052.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P9220022.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P9220006.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P9130487 by MrDespair, on Flickr

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Been experimenting with a new fish-eye lens, a Samyang 8mm f/2.8 - the two photos below were taken in complete darkness, with a exposure of 30 seconds.

Untitled by vexborg, on Flickr

Untitled by vexborg, on Flickr

I think I'll have to find a night without a moon.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Tumblr

I nearly got bogged down driving in the snow. Don't get up to the mountains very much, but turns out when snow hits and you're in the mountains just before dawn above the freezing line a 2 wheel drive city car is asking for trouble.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Trambopaline posted:

Tumblr

I nearly got bogged down driving in the snow. Don't get up to the mountains very much, but turns out when snow hits and you're in the mountains just before dawn above the freezing line a 2 wheel drive city car is asking for trouble.

drat! Sweet shot.

5B4A7645 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Panama 080 by esa_foto, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Finally was able to get my rear end up early...because I never went to bed....

The Monuments by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I can't decide if these are actually interesting, but I like them.

Skydance 1 by notactuallyawookie, on Flickr

Skydance 2 by notactuallyawookie, on Flickr

Citizen Z fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 12, 2014

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Took this in Amsterdam on my recent Eurotrip.

CSC_1682 by hynescules, on Flickr

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here
10-20 Alexandria by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

10-20 Rooftops by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

I think might of cropped this a little too tight. This was really too far for my lens.

10-20 Potomac Riverfront1 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

iammeandsoareyou fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 22, 2014

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Portsmouth 1 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Didn't have my tripod on me so I had to free-hand this one.

30hz
Nov 3, 2014

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Bigger

Clouds and moonlight on the beach.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 9, 2014

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

From my garden

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
Alaskan aurora

IMG_2883

IMG_2885

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here
Night Work by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Long exposure, infrared shot of the mungo sand dunes (Mungo National Park, Australia) on a really dirty element. Kangaroo, emu and snake tracks in the foreground, sunset in the background.

EDIT: Oh yeah and this:

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 19, 2014

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Nice.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Alley, Southwest by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Good ole Baltimore.

Domino Sugar by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

murp
May 30, 2007
Finally tried the steel wool thing :supaburn:

DSC_3712 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

DSC_3718 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Finally tried this. Long exposure, dark room, lighter shot. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Lighter by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

E: And something more appropriate for the thread.

Landing by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 20, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Some great photos, guys. When I get a new camera I'll have a go using some of your tips.

This is probably going to get drowned in pages full of New Year's firework photos but it is worth taking a look at a new book: FULLMOON by Darren Almond. He takes 15 min exposures under full moon. The book has about 300+ photos. The book isn't cheap but is very handsome (and large). Check it out here: http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/photography/all/03123/facts.darren_almond_fullmoon.htm
(Click "see all images" to see sample pages/photos)

Would be interested to get feedback here. Is it interesting/new/surprising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Barn by zacharytong, on Flickr