Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
It's because modern titles only have 2 or 3 years of development, whereas those roguelikes all have like 7-20 years of development because they're made by madmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
playing crawl has probably saved me hundreds of dollars on steam games

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm playing Exile 3 right now, actually. My "party" of a single Slith with every advantage has pretty well steamrolled everything up until the golems, who promptly started melting his green rear end into goo. Bless is such a broken, broken spell in the Exile series...

Are the Exile games worth playing, considering that they've pretty much been remade as the Avernum games? Every now and then I put 5 or 10 hours into whatever Avernum game strikes my fancy. I'm wondering if I should include Exile in the rotation.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

John Lee posted:

None of those titles are really 'oldies.'

dmans isn't even officially released yet!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I got Teleglitch for free in the last Humble Bundle and I was really excited for it.

After about an hour of play and finally getting to the second level...is it just me or is the game not that engaging? I know this is a matter of taste but I find CoQ, The Pit and Stone Soup significantly more entertaining. Maybe it is the limited enemy diversity on the early levels? Does it pick up later?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

I got Teleglitch for free in the last Humble Bundle and I was really excited for it.

After about an hour of play and finally getting to the second level...is it just me or is the game not that engaging? I know this is a matter of taste but I find CoQ, The Pit and Stone Soup significantly more entertaining. Maybe it is the limited enemy diversity on the early levels? Does it pick up later?

It's somber, it's got a very understated then hyperviolent kind of pacing. There's a lot of cool stuff further in though.

...also the Pit, really? Do people like that game? If so why? Just seems so...ugh. It seemed to be unplayable unless I played it in it's weird, not intuitive terms.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Eschatos posted:

Are the Exile games worth playing, considering that they've pretty much been remade as the Avernum games? Every now and then I put 5 or 10 hours into whatever Avernum game strikes my fancy. I'm wondering if I should include Exile in the rotation.

There are substantial differences between Exile and Avernum mechanics-wise. In particular, the Exile games, especially Exile 3 / Blades of Exile, have a crapton of random oddball spells, many of which are pretty niche, while Avernum has a smaller, significantly simplified spell set but each spell has three levels (only the first two can be bought; the third must be found). The remakes also remove some of the obtuseness of the originals -- stuff like bashing your head into walls to search for secret passages. (Meanwhile, the remakes add ~~~secret skills~~~ that you can only train in after buying at least one point from special NPCs, and these skills are awesome so you usually want to save up for them...a semi-mean little newbie trap)

So generally I would say that they're improvements over the originals, even if they did get rid of area-of-effect spells almost entirely (in favor of spells that can hit multiple independently-targeted enemies). However, the Avernum 3 golem plague is a travesty compared to Exile 3's equivalent. It is entirely too easy. :colbert:

Also, the Exile games are now free for download from the Spiderweb Software site, and someone made some Wine wrappers so us OSX users can play them without having to muck around with emulators. Fair warning, though -- if you have the map window open, it loves to steal keyboard focus, which is kind of a pain in the rear end.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

CountingWizard posted:

Also, great job on getting this project out the door, it's not easy marketing and making a game at the same time. This shows promise to be a less cumbersome than ToME.
Thank you! Though I have done a really poor job of marketing this game, hopefully I can turn that boat around. Another goon made a dmans thread in a different forum, I wish there were more people making GBS threads on the game than that one dude because it's kind of funny. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680910

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It isn't really an action roguelike, it is a proper grid based affair. Where's my ascii mode madjack?

That is a good trailer.
Thank you too! The function DrawSpriteAsChar() is still sitting in the dmans codebase from back when I was just pushing letters around. There will be some Asciiesque adventure to be had. And yeah, it's still a turn based, grid based game. Things jump around and slide a whole bunch, I like that and most players do too. I couldn't afford the number of sprites I wanted *and* animations, so the sprites all have one frame but they do lots of cool stuff.

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Never played dungeonmans, but parts of that trailer remind me of a series I tried years ago called Exile. Do you have any idea what I'm talking about / was that an actual influence? I'll probably pick up dungeonmans soon (i.e. when I tire of isaac: rebirth).

I wish I had the staying power to continue working on my own in-dev rl. or maybe i just need to get back on my add meds
Get back on your meds. I haven't played Exile but I'm familiar with a few of Vogel's games. The way he works is very impressive and I aspire to work in a similar fashion, where I can create a large library of fun gems that people still recommend to each other years after shipping. It also means I can make a living down the road.

I will say that Avernum is stingy as hell with loot, and that kinda turned me off to it. Main Dmans influences are Castle of the Winds, DCSS, a touch of Eschelon and dear old favorite Elona, with nods to ToME and DoomRL for movement and fluid play that remains interesting at any speed.

Turtlicious posted:

Unrelated, but does anyone else have the habit of buying new games, then returning to the games you have most fun with? (CoQ, D-Mans, Cataclysm, LCS, DF, DoomRL) I have no idea why modern titles just can't compete with these oldies.
I made Dungeonmans for people like you. And me. I mean, I have a big fun time with AAA games but I love a good crunchy PC rpg and roguelikes too. You calling dmans an oldie means I got the tone right.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Anyone else get into the Curious Expedition pre-alpha sneak peek (I was subscribed to their newsletter)?

The game is kinda undocumented, not all systems are in / fleshed out, but it's already pretty fun, especially if your favorite part of Civ is exploring the map. Which mine is.

For those not in the know: http://www.curious-expedition.com/

You are an explorer, in charge of a small party of adventurers in unknown lands (pseudo-historical 19th century - think deepest darkest africa/south america).

At the moment, the goal is to find the golden pyramid on the map and maximize your Fame score in doing so. Fame goes up by collecting wild animal bits, doing scientific surveys of these unknown lands, and bringing back sacred artifacts that belong in museums. It goes down the longer it takes you to find the goal (which can be a long time on big/rugged maps)

You're constrained by sanity: spent in events and with each hex traveled and restored by consumables (chocolate/whiskey/coca leaves) or at limited rest spots (native villages/religious missions/natural wonders).

You can trade with native villages, but staying overnight to boost sanity taxes your standing with the natives. Eventually they turn hostile. They also hate it when you disturb their sacred sites to steal their idols. Resting in religious missions requires you to bribe the priests with your limited supplies.

There's equipment to help you explore (though it's unclear how some of it functions), there are skills for each of your party members to level up (and events if their sanity drops too low).

All in all, I like.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

bisonbison posted:

Completely awesome :words: about a cool rear end exploration game

Everything you said sounds magic, who do I have to wink at seductively to get in early?

bisonbison posted:

At the moment, the goal is to find the golden pyramid on the map and maximize your Fame score in doing so. Fame goes up by collecting wild animal bits, doing scientific surveys of these unknown lands, and bringing back sacred artifacts that belong in museums. You can trade with native villages, but staying overnight to boost sanity taxes your standing with the natives. Eventually they turn hostile. They also hate it when you disturb their sacred sites to steal their idols. Resting in religious missions requires you to bribe the priests with your limited supplies.

:vince:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
A roguelike Pizarro/Heart of Darkness?

:getin:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:frogsiren: IT BEGINS :frogsiren:

If you run into any bugs, or have suggestions for improvements to the UI/feature set/whatever, please let me know. Once I get the go-ahead from work I'll have a proper Github you can file bug reports on, but until then you'll just have to PM me or post it in the thread.

pre:
$ telnet phobos.ancilla.ca 3666
Trying 76.10.176.200...
Connected to phobos.ancilla.ca.
Escape character is '^]'.

=================     ===============     ===============   ========  ========
\\ . . . . . . .\\   //. . . . . . .\\   //. . . . . . .\\  \\. . .\\// . . //
||. . ._____. . .|| ||. . ._____. . .|| ||. . ._____. . .|| || . . .\/ . . .||
|| . .||   ||. . || || . .||   ||. . || || . .||   ||. . || ||. . . . . . . ||
||. . ||   || . .|| ||. . ||   || . .|| ||. . ||   || . .|| || . | . . . . .||
|| . .||   ||. _-|| ||-_ .||   ||. . || || . .||   ||. _-|| ||-_.|\ . . . . ||
||. . ||   ||-'  || ||  `-||   || . .|| ||. . ||   ||-'  || ||  `|\_ . .|. .||
|| . _||   ||    || ||    ||   ||_ . || || . _||   ||    || ||   |\ `-_/| . ||
||_-' ||  .|/    || ||    \|.  || `-_|| ||_-' ||  .|/    || ||   | \  / |-_.||
||    ||_-'      || ||      `-_||    || ||    ||_-'      || ||   | \  / |  `||
||    `'         || ||         `'    || ||    `'         || ||   | \  / |   ||
||            .===' `===.         .==='.`===.         .===' /==. |  \/  |   ||
||         .=='   \_|-_ `===. .==='   _|_   `===. .===' _-|/   `==  \/  |   ||
||      .=='    _-'    `-_  `='    _-'   `-_    `='  _-'   `-_  /|  \/  |   ||
||   .=='    _-'          `-__\._-'         `-_./__-'         `' |. /|  |   ||
||.=='    _-'                                                     `' |  /==.||
=='    _-'               DoomRL by Kornel Kisielewicz                 \/   `==
\   _-'                   DoomRL Server by Ben Kelly                   `-_   /
 `''                                                                      ``'

Type 'help' for a list of commands.

guest>
Features:
  • Play DoomRL from the comfort of your terminal
  • Multiple save file support
  • Config file editing
  • Shared high score list with postmortems
  • Watch games in progress or saved recordings
  • BETA SOFTWARE, may explode horribly at any time. I'll try not to wipe your saves :)

Quickstart Guide:
Connect to phobos.ancilla.ca:3666 using the telnet client of your choice. Linux/OSX users probably have it installed already. Windows users will probably need PuTTY. Make sure your terminal is at least 80x25 or you'll get a warning when you connect (and DoomRL won't render properly).

Register a new account with register <username> <password>.

Optionally, use config user, config controls, and config colours to edit your DoomRL configuration.

Type play <name> to start a new game. The save file will be stored under the given name, so you can have multiple games on the go.

You can type help at any time for built-in help.

(If you just want to watch me die a lot, there's no need to register, just connect and type watch ToxicFrog)

Importing your player info

I've hacked together a script to automatically import DoomRL player/score/mortem files, but have yet to come up with a non-terrible way of letting people upload that info automatically. In the meantime, you can get your stuff imported, if you don't feel like unlocking everything from scratch, as follows:
  • Register an account on the server
  • Send me an archive containing player.wad, score.wad, and your mortem directory
  • Wait for me to import it

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 15, 2014

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

This is amazingly cool!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Isn't DoomRL made by the same guy who did AliensRL? I really loved AliensRL, but it sounds like DoomRL is more fleshed out.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

This is very cool! That said, please fix numpad 5 acting as numpad 3 because oh god I'm so used to using it for waiting instead of period and I keep dying because I can't lurk around corners.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Isn't DoomRL made by the same guy who did AliensRL? I really loved AliensRL, but it sounds like DoomRL is more fleshed out.

Yeah, same dude. I've never played AliensRL so I can't speak for it, but DoomRL is very solid and effectively 'complete'.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Holy smokes this is awesome! Looking forward to trying it out.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
I'm playing through now under the name "Roonespism" and will remain to do so for the next couple of hours given how things are going.

Unfortunately I have to play just extremely slowly because of my geographical distance from your server and the lack of sound, so winning even just a regular game on HMP is going to take me a long time...

Oh, also weapon quickkeys don't seem to work - hitting 3 to swap to a shotgun just moves you southeast.

EDIT: Phew! I decided that I wouldn't bother porting over my character data so I went for as much as I could with a blank slate - a 100% HMP Conqueror run.

You can see the replay on the server (I assume) and here's the mortem, which I had difficulty copying and pasting because Ctrl-C is not a combination of keys that you should be pressing recklessly in a console window.

code:
--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Thomas, level 14 Human Private Scout,
 nuked the Mastermind at the Hell Fortress.
 He survived 88483 turns and scored 245234 points.
 He played for 3 hours, 3 minutes and 41 seconds.
 He wasn't afraid to be hurt plenty.

He killed 1008 out of 1008 hellspawn. (100%)
 This rear end-kicking marine killed all of them!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 11
  Levels completed : 11

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Cyberdemon's Head
  Medal of Prejudice
  UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  UAC Star (silver cluster)
  UAC Star (gold cluster)
  Aurora Medallion
  Explorer Badge
  Conqueror Badge
  Grim Reaper's Badge
  Hell Armorer Badge
  Hell Champion Medal
  Technician Bronze Badge
  Armorer Bronze Badge
  Heroic Bronze Badge
  Gatekeeper Bronze Badge
  Gatekeeper Gold Badge
  UAC Bronze Badge
  UAC Silver Badge
  Veteran Bronze Badge
  Veteran Silver Badge
  Lava Bronze Badge
  Reaper Bronze Badge
  Reaper Silver Badge
  Reaper Gold Badge
  Brick Bronze Badge
  Skull Bronze Badge
  Arena Bronze Badge
  Longinus Gold Badge
  Arachno Bronze Badge
  Scavenger Bronze Badge
  Scavenger Silver Badge
  Scavenger Gold Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ..........................................................#
  ............................|.............................#
  .............................................|...|....|...#
  .............................................|.........|.|#
  ...................................|............|.||......#
  ...................................................||.....#
  ..................................|...............|.|.....#
  .....................................................||.|.#
  ...........................................|..............#
  .....................................................|...|#
  ......................................................|||.#
  ...................................X......................#
  ......................................................|...#
  ..................................|...............|......|#
  ....................................................|.....#
  .................................................|........#
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 46/45   Experience 91123/14
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +4  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +6

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout

Finesse          (Level 3)
    Hellrunner       (Level 3)
    Reloader         (Level 2)
    Brute            (Level 2)
    Juggler          (Level 1)
    Berserker        (Level 1)
    Shottyman        (Level 1)
    Shottyhead       (Level 1)

Rel->Rel->SM->HR->Fin->Jug->MSh->Bru->Bru->Ber->HR->HR->Fin->Fin->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   Angelic Armor [7/7] (91%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   BFG 9000 (10d6) [10/130] (B1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   steel boots [1/1] (100%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   Azrael's Scythe (9d9)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] tactical shotgun (8d3) [5/5]
    [b] missile launcher (6d6) [0/5] (B1)
    [c] tactical armor [0/0] (100%)
    [d] blue armor [4/4] (100%) (P)
    [e] shotgun shell (x55)
    [f] large med-pack
    [g] large med-pack
    [h] large med-pack
    [i] large med-pack
    [j] large med-pack
    [k] homing phase device
    [l] sniper weapon pack
    [m] blood skull
    [n] shell box (x98)
    [o] shell box (x100)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Bullet     - internal 60%   torso 95%   feet 60%
    Melee      - internal 60%   torso 95%   feet 60%
    Shrapnel   - internal 60%   torso 95%   feet 60%
    Acid       - internal 60%   torso 60%   feet 60%
    Fire       - internal 60%   torso 60%   feet 60%
    Plasma     - internal 60%   torso 60%   feet 60%

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

81 former humans
    74 former sergeants
    28 former captains
    106 imps
    97 demons
    326 lost souls
    48 cacodemons
    16 hell knights
    54 barons of hell
    39 arachnotrons
    11 former commandos
    61 revenants
    25 mancubi
    14 arch-viles
    2 bruiser brothers
    1 shambler
    1 lava elemental
    1 agony elemental
    1 Angel of Death
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Spider Mastermind
    1 John Carmack
    1 Arena Master

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 5 he found the Arena Master's Staff!
  He defeated the Hell Arena Master!
  On level 7 he sneaked into the Phobos Lab.
  He broke through the lab.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 9 he entered Hell's Armory.
  On level 9 he assembled a tactical armor!
  On level 9 he assembled a tactical shotgun!
  He destroyed the evil within and reaped the rewards!
  On level 11 he witnessed the Wall.
  He massacred the evil behind the Wall!
  On level 12 he found the City of Skulls.
  He wiped out the City of Skulls.
  On level 14 he ventured into the Spider's Lair.
  He cleared the Lair, kickin' serious spider rear end!
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  On level 17 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 17 he found the Azrael's Scythe!
  He then destroyed the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 19 he found the Hellwave Pack!
  On level 19 he entered the Vaults.
  On level 19 he found the Revenant's Launcher!
  He cracked the Vaults and cleared them out!
  On level 20 he was foolish enough to enter the Mortuary!
  On level 20 he found the Angelic Armor!
  He managed to clear the Mortuary from evil!
  On level 22 he arrived at Mt. Erebus.
  He managed to raise Mt. Erebus completely!
  Then at last he found Dis!
  He nuked level 24!
  He defeated the Mastermind and found the TRUE EVIL!
  Then finally in Hell itself, he killed the final EVIL.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

Targeting canceled.
 That hurt! You' going berserk! You need to taste blood!
 You need to taste blood!
 That hurt! You' going berserk! You need to taste blood!
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : John Carmack (mortally wounded) | floor | [ m ]ore
 The missile hits John Carmack. You hear the scream of a freed soul! You hear
 the scream of a freed soul! You hear the scream of a freed soul! You hear the
 scream of a freed soul! You hear the scream of a freed soul! You hear the
 scream of a freed soul! You hear the scream of a freed soul! You need to
 taste blood!
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : John Carmack (almost dead) | pool of blood | [ m ]ore
 The missile hits John Carmack. You hear the scream of a freed soul! John
 Carmack dies. Congratulations! You defeated John Carmack! Press <Enter>...
 You feel relatively safe now.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

He's the first brave soul to have ventured into Hell...

Roonerspism fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 15, 2014

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012

bisonbison posted:

Completely awesome :words: about a cool rear end exploration game
Thanks for letting me know about this game.
I hope it will be released in the near future!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bisonbison posted:

Anyone else get into the Curious Expedition pre-alpha sneak peek (I was subscribed to their newsletter)?

This sounds kind of like a more planning-based Expeditions: Conquistador, which I'm really down with. Never did get that far into it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General roundup of stuff from IRC and the thread:

Help I'm trapped in watch/replay mode: press ctrl-C. Also f/s to go faster/slower. 'help watch' and 'help replay' have the details. Yes I know the player is really primitive, I'm looking for a better one.

I tried watch mode and now the screen is totally hosed: this was a bug in the initial release. It is now fixed. Replays should be unaffected.

How do I turn off the intro/set my permanent name/etc: config user

The controls are messed up: config controls, and then file a bug report with me because I tried to make sure they wouldn't be.

Stelas posted:

This is very cool! That said, please fix numpad 5 acting as numpad 3 because oh god I'm so used to using it for waiting instead of period and I keep dying because I can't lurk around corners.

It should already be acting as wait. :confused: One of the few changes I made from the default configuration is mapping the number keys as movement, so that (a) the numpad works even if you have numlock on and (b) you can use KP5 as wait. Normally neither of those are true in console mode. Pressing 5 is instead moving you southeast?

Roonerspism posted:

I'm playing through now under the name "Roonespism" and will remain to do so for the next couple of hours given how things are going.

Unfortunately I have to play just extremely slowly because of my geographical distance from your server and the lack of sound, so winning even just a regular game on HMP is going to take me a long time...

Oh, also weapon quickkeys don't seem to work - hitting 3 to swap to a shotgun just moves you southeast.

See above -- the number keys are bound to movement so that the numpad still works even with numlock enabled, and so that numpad five works at all. Without numlock set, KP5 is totally invisible to the console version. I figured being able to press 5 to wait was more important than being able to weapon switch with the number keys.

To change this, config controls and comment out/remove the stuff labeled "alternate keypad controls"; the quickkeys are still in there, just overridden, so they should start working again.

I'm open to suggestions for improvements -- weapon switch on F keys, maybe?

quote:

EDIT: Phew! I decided that I wouldn't bother porting over my character data so I went for as much as I could with a blank slate - a 100% HMP Conqueror run.

code:
Thomas, level 14 Human Private Scout,
 nuked the Mastermind at the Hell Fortress.
 He survived 88483 turns and scored 245234 points.
 He killed 1008 out of 1008 hellspawn. (100%)
 This rear end-kicking marine killed all of them!

Levels generated : 11
  Levels completed : 11

:stare: Holy poo poo dude. That's quite the inauguration for this server. Nicely done.

quote:

You can see the replay on the server (I assume) and here's the mortem, which I had difficulty copying and pasting because Ctrl-C is not a combination of keys that you should be pressing recklessly in a console window.

Yep, watching the replay now. One thing I'd like to add in the future is the ability to upload and download your score.wad/player.wad files and your mortem files without needing someone to manually import/export them, I'm just having trouble figuring out how that will work.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Does anyone know a good starter build for Caves of Qud? I'm trying to get started, but having all these mutations to pick from seems a bit daunting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Does anyone know a good starter build for Caves of Qud? I'm trying to get started, but having all these mutations to pick from seems a bit daunting.

I'm fond of a water merchant with carapace, light manipulation, sunder mind, and disintegration. You need to take a 3 or 4 point defect to pull that off, with ravenous being probably the easiest to deal with. Stats are a bit flexible so long as you have highish ego and willpower.

Light manipulation gives you a decent basic ranged attack early on and scales really well as you level. Sunder mind will usually oneshot salthoppers, which are fast and otherwise durable melee threats early on. Disintegration is both a powerful digging tool and a nice panic button that does huge damage to a wide area. Carapace is the best armor in the game, especially since you can use mental mutations without loosening your carapace (which doubles the protection it provides but immobilizes you).

Greybeard can also make a decent calling for this, since berate lets you use sunder mind much more effectively. Water merchant gives you easier access to certain settlements and fairly quickly builds up more money than you'll know what to do with. Your starting equipment will generally let you level up off the tinker quest chain without even leaving town.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 15, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Ego goes a long way to replacing everything else if you take the Ego Boost power. It gives you +EgoModifier to any stat for a number of turns and has reasonable cooldown. Focusing on Ego and Willpower to play a kind of ESP-based berserker class is a perfectly valid playstyle.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man how do i not suck at nuclear throne, this game is intense

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

This is super cool and you are great. I faffed around for about five minutes before I had to gbtw but thank you for putting this together.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'd like to hear about Nuclear Throne as well. I can get to the Palace sometimes but holy poo poo it's just a giant clusterfuck. You always seem to spawn in a giant open room with a hundred assholes surrounding you, what the hell are you supposed to do? At least in the Ice City you can one-shot all the assholes with a crossbow or whatever.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I think it's mostly "hope you have a laser gun by the time you get there"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This morning, someone created a new account, and then immediately posted a 12 minute win on HNTR.

So far this server is mostly making me feel good as a coder and terribly inadequate as a DoomRL player. :v: I can probably learn a lot from the replays, though.

E: changes pushed

- Winning games are now bold in scores/mortem/replay output
- Game playtime (as reported by the postmortem, which may differ significantly from the replay) is now reported

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 15, 2014

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
There was a game someone posted about in here a few months ago. It was kind of weird and it played almost like a MUDD. I remember it had a weird crafting system and you ran a tavern. Anyone remember this?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Sanctuary RPG?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

That's the one. Thanks!

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

This morning, someone created a new account, and then immediately posted a 12 minute win on HNTR.

They only did it on ITYTD, actually. It's not too hard to get speedruns under 10 minutes if you go straight for the stairs on every level as a scout and use berserker to kill the bosses with whatever you end up getting.

Oh also I suppose you wouldn't mind if I posted info about the server on the DoomRL forums, yeah? There's probably a few people still kicking around waiting for an excuse to play again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Roonerspism posted:

They only did it on ITYTD, actually. It's not too hard to get speedruns under 10 minutes if you go straight for the stairs on every level as a scout and use berserker to kill the bosses with whatever you end up getting.

Oh also I suppose you wouldn't mind if I posted info about the server on the DoomRL forums, yeah? There's probably a few people still kicking around waiting for an excuse to play again.

I was kind of thinking I'd avoid publicising it too widely until (a) I have permission to release the source and (b) it's graduated from a test server running on a frequently-rebooted machine in my basement to something with an actual SLA.

On the other hand, the DoomRL forums look pretty dead. :( Probably can't hurt. Give me a few hours to get some new changes live -- these require rearranging the save files, so I'd rather do that just before rather than just after an influx of players.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh, ha, that'd probably be me. It's just the method I use to quickly unlock things on a new profile. I'm working on a UV run right now. It's kinda tough since I'm too used to tiles now, plus not being able to hear monster sounds. I also find the console to a be a bit laggy compared to the offline version, but I'm not sure there's anything you can do about that?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This morning, I said to my wife, "I've done it! I just killed the Cyberdemon and I'm into Hell. The biggest threat to me now is my own stupidity."
This evening, I stood next to a lava barrel while at 40% health and reloaded the Grammaton Cleric Beretta (reload time: 2 seconds), knowing that there were enemies nearby. :negative:

Shark Tower posted:

Oh, ha, that'd probably be me. It's just the method I use to quickly unlock things on a new profile. I'm working on a UV run right now. It's kinda tough since I'm too used to tiles now, plus not being able to hear monster sounds. I also find the console to a be a bit laggy compared to the offline version, but I'm not sure there's anything you can do about that?

Not really, no, that's probably just a matter of geographic distance + my lovely Canadian net connection. The tty version isn't laggy in and of itself.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 17, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how strong is the beretta and how do you get it? the farthest i've ever gotten into doomrl is that place with the shamblers.

also i still have no idea how to not suck at nuclear throne :v:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Just uploaded the first iOS build in about 6 months to test flight. Anyone who was testing earlier in the year should have access.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tollymain posted:

how strong is the beretta and how do you get it? the farthest i've ever gotten into doomrl is that place with the shamblers.

It's a Unique, so it spawns randomly once you below the appropriate depth for it -- the probability (once you're at depth) of any particular weapon or armour being Unique is about 1/200, IIRC (but of course the odds of it being the Beretta specifically are much lower). Certain areas -- Hell's Armoury/Deimos Lab (the place with the shamblers you mention) and The Vaults, off the top of my head -- have an increased chance of spawning uniques.

As for how strong is it -- very. It's a pistol, but it has an 18-round mag and three firing modes you can switch between at will: 2d6, 1d8x3, and 1d7x6. This means that single-shot it's one of the most powerful 10mm weapons in the game, and the burst fire modes provide damage comparable to or exceeding a chaingun with higher per-bullet damage. It's also extremely accurate. On Angel of Max Carnage, which is what I was playing, it will reliably two-shot very nearly anything in 6-round burst mode.

The drawback is that it has to be reloaded frequently and takes forever to reload.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

megane posted:

I'd like to hear about Nuclear Throne as well. I can get to the Palace sometimes but holy poo poo it's just a giant clusterfuck. You always seem to spawn in a giant open room with a hundred assholes surrounding you, what the hell are you supposed to do? At least in the Ice City you can one-shot all the assholes with a crossbow or whatever.
A lot of the time I see people new to the game hit a roadblock because they're afraid to take the powerful weapons which consume a lot of ammo. You basically need to use those later on, you can't roll with sluggers/crossbows/assault rifles forever or you just won't have enough killing power. Gotta grab miniguns and super sluggers and stuff like that.
Besides that it's just about getting better at dodging and reacting to things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Has anyone here managed to beat hardcore in crypt of the necrodancer with aria? I've been trying but I invariably gently caress up at some point. I've made it to zone 2 a few times, but I just can't maintain my focus.