Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

There, now it's true.

Morrowind, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Civ 4, DAOC, FO:NV, Bully. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
^^^ :respek:

Cardiovorax posted:

There, now it's true.

I guess you don't like Civilization IV, Defense Grid, Bully, Rocksmith and Sid Meier's Pirates! then?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Holy gently caress The War Is Mine is depressing :smith:
My team is starving. I'm running out of things to trade for food, my only weapons are a knife and a few crowbars. All of my food scavenging sources are places with armed guards... apart from one house which is just an old man and old lady that refuse to trade.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Good news! Now they won't be getting any older.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The old folks have lived long enough. They're just a burden on limited resources.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Orv posted:

Morrowind, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Civ 4, DAOC, FO:NV, Bully. :colbert:

Fart of Presto posted:

I guess you don't like Civilization IV, Defense Grid, Bully, Rocksmith and Sid Meier's Pirates! then?
Aside from Bully, none of these try or succeed at being the kind of action game Divinity tried to be.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Aside from Bully, none of these try or succeed at being the kind of action game Divinity tried to be.

Stop moving the goalposts every time you're wrong.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Morter posted:

I saw "Skullmonkeys" so I'm compelled to post this. I played that game when I was really young and this is the only thing I remembered from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al0XOLM9FPw

As an aside, I think this is the only thing anyone EVER remembers from this game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The last DBZ fighting game I played was Burst Limit 2 on the 360 and that was a refinement of the Tenkaichi formula. You could customize the moves each individual character could have, so theortically you could do a mirror match with someone and both characters can be completely different. I loved that game.

The biggest problem is that the singleplayer is very repetitive, and every fight against the AI can eventually be won by just endlessly spamming the same beam move over and over nonstop, pausing to power up when they get knocked down. The only way to unlock the shitload of awesome stuff that makes the game great and unique is to play singleplayer.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Is there a way to play Lego Batman 3 with a controller yet? Or should I just wait for a patch?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Styx is $20 today but I'm probably gonna hold off in the hopes that it drops to $15 during the Winter Sale. I mean you never know!!

Also it's uPlay-only but Assassin's Creed Liberation HD is $6.80 at GamersGate which I think its the cheapest its been (not that AC games go any cheaper than $5 to begin with).

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Styx is $20 today but I'm probably gonna hold off in the hopes that it drops to $15 during the Winter Sale. I mean you never know!!

Also it's uPlay-only but Assassin's Creed Liberation HD is $6.80 at GamersGate which I think its the cheapest its been (not that AC games go any cheaper than $5 to begin with).

Kragger99 gifted me Styx a couple of month's ago, and I've easily gotten $20 of fun out of this stealth game. There's some jankiness, and the game itself can be unforgiving at times (going "loud" will get you killed), but the puzzles, the climbing, and the storyline have been enjoyable, thus far.

Edit: It has an AssCreed feel, except guards actually pay attention to your visibility, and they don't immediately go back to patrolling (they will, eventually, but only after thoroughly investigating an area).

Regarding Lords of Xulima, the combat is very much like Wizardry. The gameplay itself is like Divinity: Original Sin (so like Baldur's Gate and games of that ilk). I'm also enjoying it - it's got an old-school feel, but it's very satisfying.

Double Edit:

Here's some Lords of Xulima gameplay, for those who want out check it out before dropping cash on the game: http://youtu.be/453hCOV4NwM

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 15, 2014

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Is https://www.wastedonsteam.com still working or is there something else? My profile won't seem to update.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

gypsyshred posted:

Is there a way to play Lego Batman 3 with a controller yet? Or should I just wait for a patch?

It should just work? I've been playing with a 360 controller since literally right after it released. Speaking of Lego Batman 3, if you've been waiting for a game that let's you play the adventures of Detective Chimp and Ace the Bat-Hound on the home plant of the Orange Lanterns? Boy do I have good news for you:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Just got my first "screenshot_7352.png" phishing attempt. Reported the culprit. Is there any way I could check if this poo poo did any damage? Apart from antivirus scanner, I mean?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you didn't manually execute it, it can't have done anything.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Daimo posted:

Is https://www.wastedonsteam.com still working or is there something else? My profile won't seem to update.
It has my wishlist from a year or so ago, so it probably stopped updating.

577th by hours played? That's... that's just among the steam users that signed in, right? R-right?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Deakul posted:

But, I want to be a dragon. :saddowns:

Try this?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/305960/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's also this http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/i-of-the-dragon

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

I'm sure this is going to suck but i'd love a decent Dragon simulator.

-Hatch from an egg as one of several dragon types, from the venerable Reds to the benevolent Golds! Buy the Prismatic and Chromatic DLCs and expand your Dragon experience!
-Eat a wide variety of meals! From chickens and pigs, to cows and small children. Even adventurers are on the menu!
- Experience the thrill as you are hunted for your valuable scales and other body parts!
- Amass your hoard! Loot villages and towns, hold entire kingdoms ransom!
- Hundreds of hours of sleeping on treasure await!

This post went off the rails at some point.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

RickVoid posted:

Nope. It is perfect.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The very first review is in Russian (for me) and it basically goes on about how the Dragon is currently a mutant-cripple with broken wings/feet/flying and landing animations / a fire breathing animation that originates in the chest area / etc. Early access and all, but still.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Something like War Thunder only with dragons would be cool.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

There, now it's true.

Are you dissing Civilization 4? :raise:

edit: I should have realized there's another page.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

RickVoid posted:

I'm sure this is going to suck but i'd love a decent Dragon simulator.

-Hatch from an egg as one of several dragon types, from the venerable Reds to the benevolent Golds! Buy the Prismatic and Chromatic DLCs and expand your Dragon experience!
-Eat a wide variety of meals! From chickens and pigs, to cows and small children. Even adventurers are on the menu!
- Experience the thrill as you are hunted for your valuable scales and other body parts!
- Amass your hoard! Loot villages and towns, hold entire kingdoms ransom!
- Hundreds of hours of sleeping on treasure await!

I would play the poo poo out of this.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The War of Mine is depressing as gently caress. I kept going to this one house and stealing from this couple. They'd just...let me. If I pulled out a weapon they'd hide or beg for mercy. Eventually they had nothing and I just...left :(

Then everyone died looting. The end.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bob A Feet posted:

The War of Mine is depressing as gently caress. I kept going to this one house and stealing from this couple. They'd just...let me. If I pulled out a weapon they'd hide or beg for mercy. Eventually they had nothing and I just...left :(

Then everyone died looting. The end.

I couldn't take all their food. I just couldn't. I took some though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Bob A Feet posted:

I ran out of food and went off to loot the supermarket even though I knew there would be bandits. Tried to ambush them with my shovel, but was gunned down. My other two survivors starved :smith:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Xibanya posted:

I would play the poo poo out of this.
Sounds like Hoard mixed with a deeper RPG system.

Hoard was pretty good, though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My first combat encounter was a stealth attack on a soldier attempting to rape some woman. The next one was a crazy rear end game of cat-and-mouse at a hotel where I channeled the spirit of Solid Snake and somehow managed to beat them all to death using stealth.

Then I got caught by the dawn before I could finish looting. That was probably the beginning of the end.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This War of Mine is pretty drat good. It's like playing a Kurt Vonnegut novel without the humour :smith:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
One thing I thought was cool about This War of Mine is that there is no tutorial, and the game never tells you how to do anything. It's a welcome change from games that hold your hand every step of the way to make sure you don't veer off the path.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

This War of Mine is pretty drat good. It's like playing a Kurt Vonnegut novel without the humour :smith:

Ice-9 survival mod for Arma 3 would be cool

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

One thing I thought was cool about This War of Mine is that there is no tutorial, and the game never tells you how to do anything. It's a welcome change from games that hold your hand every step of the way to make sure you don't veer off the path.

This is usually okay if the game doesn't do anything too complicated, but if a game introduces somewhat new concepts to its respective genre I'd definitely expect a tutorial of sorts.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Deakul posted:

This is usually okay if the game doesn't do anything too complicated, but if a game introduces somewhat new concepts to its respective genre I'd definitely expect a tutorial of sorts.

I think developers should find a way to guide players through the early portions of a game without a tutorial. I'm trying to think of when tutorials started becoming a thing. PS2 era and beyond? Most old games just throw you right the gently caress in the deep end. Figuring it out makes you feel like a genius, especially when you encounter people who couldn't figure it out. My favorite example has to be King's Field. That game is hard as balls and tells you absolutely nothing. Almost guarantee that you will die from drowning within 10 seconds of starting the game. You can't even see item descriptions without a special item. So you might get something, consume it, and have no idea what the gently caress happened. It's great because it encourages you to explore not just the environment, but the game itself.

Mr E posted:

The first two I can think of are the Hazard Course in HL1 and Deus Ex's tutorial. Maybe some item text when you picked up stuff in something like OOT if you really want to count that.

And those two are interesting examples because I think a lot of people weren't even aware of their existence.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 16, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think developers should find a way to guide players through the early portions of a game without a tutorial. I'm trying to think of when tutorials started becoming a thing. PS2 era and beyond? Most old games just throw you right the gently caress in the deep end.

The first two I can think of are the Hazard Course in HL1 and Deus Ex's tutorial. Maybe some item text when you picked up stuff in something like OOT if you really want to count that.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

I think developers should find a way to guide players through the early portions of a game without a tutorial. I'm trying to think of when tutorials started becoming a thing. PS2 era and beyond? Most old games just throw you right the gently caress in the deep end. Figuring it out makes you feel like a genius, especially when you encounter people who couldn't figure it out. My favorite example has to be King's Field. That game is hard as balls and tells you absolutely nothing. Almost guarantee that you will die from drowning within 10 seconds of starting the game. You can't even see item descriptions without a special item. So you might get something, consume it, and have no idea what the gently caress happened. It's great because it encourages you to explore not just the environment, but the game itself.

And those two are interesting examples because I think a lot of people weren't even aware of their existence.

We have a generation of people defeated by a barrel. I wouldn't get your hopes up that they're capable of the kind of things you're on about, sadly.

^^^ the thing about those two is that they're optional. I guess they said "would you like to play the tutorial" if you didn't bother to do it first, but if you so desired you could jump into the game immediately and do whatever.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 16, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ddraig posted:

We have a generation of people defeated by a barrel. I wouldn't get your hopes up that they're capable of the kind of things you're on about, sadly.

I'd hate to make this about "gamers are too stupid to play without tutorials" considering how many games without tutorials exist.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Yeah I really hate tutorials on games. Because they mostly go over easy concepts and leave complicated poo poo to wikis. This game has a lot of experiment and trial and error, which I kinda like.

That said, going to a place called Sniper Corner probably isn't the best thing to do when you have just started the game. My guy walked in, took two steps, and got taken down in three shots. Bye bye marko :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Games were also usually less complex back then, at least at the beginners' level. Most people who game today grew up with simple games that gave them every tool they need to learn a new game really quickly. Tutorials today are basically there to give new players a sense of the game even if they don't have a toolbox from having been playing games for 20+ years.

• Locked thread