Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
I guess given everyone's lovely reaction to Unity we can just expect Black Flag 2 3 4 etc. until they burn out their goodwill on that too.

Can't wait to do donuts in the ocean again trying to get five billion wood to upgrade my ship so I can do one story mission so I can get told I need to upgrade my loving boat again and again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Just a friendly reminder to everyone referring to "the game" - this thread is for 2 different games and quite a few of us are having a lot of fun in the other one. Could people please specify which one they're talking about?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Anders space court is currently in pre-alpha testing and will go live with the persistent universe.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

matrix ripoff posted:

I guess given everyone's lovely reaction to Unity we can just expect Black Flag 2 3 4 etc. until they burn out their goodwill on that too.

Can't wait to do donuts in the ocean again trying to get five billion wood to upgrade my ship so I can do one story mission so I can get told I need to upgrade my loving boat again and again and again.

black flag 2 has been out for 5 days

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Asscreed Rogue crew represent.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

macnbc posted:

I've been waiting to see if Unity would bring us a bug that brings us Ascension of the Jackdaw levels of hilarity.

I think we've finally found it.

This is great. I had a similar glitch with my My Career player in NBA 2k15 but was kind enough to keep my mouth shut at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRCALHmu_pQ

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm having an ok time in Unity on PS4. Nothing great, not horrible, bugs and glitches excluded. I'm going to beat it and trade it in this weekend though, I know I'll never play it again. If I want to play asscreed I'll just hop on Black Flag. I wish Ubisoft would make a full on pirate game :allears:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm having an ok time in Unity on PS4. Nothing great, not horrible, bugs and glitches excluded. I'm going to beat it and trade it in this weekend though, I know I'll never play it again. If I want to play asscreed I'll just hop on Black Flag. I wish Ubisoft would make a full on pirate game :allears:

I think the only thing that drew people to Black Flag was the IP and at this point, all a standalone pirate game, especially by Ubisoft, could do is make people question why they can't assassinate anyone they want at any time.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
Apparently I unlocked an avatar and they really, really wanted me to know about it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BattleSausage posted:

Apparently I unlocked an avatar and they really, really wanted me to know about it
I did too but I can't even figure out how to equip it; in the initiates thing all the avatars are still greyed out.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

im pooping! posted:

I think the only thing that drew people to Black Flag was the IP and at this point, all a standalone pirate game, especially by Ubisoft, could do is make people question why they can't assassinate anyone they want at any time.

The only reason I got Black Flag was because of the boating, and couldn't even beat the game because I cared so little about the assassin stuff. Just have the pirate assassinate people by cutting them down with their sword, in the open. :black101: Apparently Shadows of Mordor is kinda hack n slash assassin's creed? I haven't played it, but that with pirating sounds fun to me.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
with unity can someone explain the chests and what I need to do with a companion app to open them or whatever the gently caress?

the are grey chests that you can open, red chests that need lockpicks and a lockpicking "skill"? and then blue and yellow that I can't open unless I download an app? is that right?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Al Harrington posted:

with unity can someone explain the chests and what I need to do with a companion app to open them or whatever the gently caress?

the are grey chests that you can open, red chests that need lockpicks and a lockpicking "skill"? and then blue and yellow that I can't open unless I download an app? is that right?

White chests are normal chests, just have to find them.

Red are locked and you need lockpicking to open them, there are 3 tiers to the skill.

Blue are nomad chests and you need the companion app to open these. I haven't bothered with that at all so I can't offer much more.

Gold are initiate chests and depend on your initiate level, which you can see by visiting the website from the game's menu. The system is currently incomplete and doesn't seem to be updating in a timely fashion so YMMV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Al Harrington posted:

Viewpoints in game unlock glyph puzzles in app. Glyph puzzles in app unlock timed missions in app. 3 timed missions in a set unlocks a chest. Then it takes 24 hours to open it, apparently. You don't seem to be able to open it in game.

Yellow chests are from acinitiates.com. It tracks your performance over multiple AC games.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me
Is my companion app broken or something? While the PS4 was installing the main Unity game I downloaded and tried the app. Did some tutorial missions and had 4 assassins. Then Uplay got over its problem of the moment and the app synced to my PS4 game and brought up a map of Arno's area. It also zeroed out my assassin count on the app and I can't do any more missions. When I select one it shows 0 assassins available and the continue button is both highlighted and greyed out. Can I fix this or do I have to suck it up and try not to get too annoyed at all the blue chests telling me to do more Nomad missions?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Al Harrington posted:

White/Grey are normal
Red chests require lockpicking, which you can learn after Sequence 2, and upgrade after Sequences 5 and 9.
Blue is Companion app. You need to earn the right to open them by doing some puzzles and running missions. The Uplay sync for this is a bit flaky at the moment, and they've been tweaking it. You might not be able to open the chests as a result. I was able to this morning, but the app still thinks they're shut, and tied up 3 assassins until the 24 hour timer expires.
Yellow chests are for Initiates, which is mostly working at this point, but they haven't completely fixed up. Initiates level is based off of a few things, like completion of the previous games and doing random challenges. They took it down back in June to get ready for Unity. They're only tracking game completion at the moment, but those chests should work.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
The more I play this game, the closer I am to being 100% certain that most complaints about the controls in the previous games were completely manufactured by contrarians. Because, holy poo poo the new controls are almost unusable in this one. I just don't see how anyone could have played AC4 and thought the controls were bad. I was perfectly able to do everything I needed in that game and most earlier ones fluidly, but jesus christ, I can feel my blood pressure going up trying to navigate around towers and rooftops in this one.

If you played any of the recent AC games, and are still on the fence about this one, I'd say still wait. I know there's a surge of people coming in and saying "oh it's not so bad," but it is bad, because aside from the framerate and other superficial issues, the combat mechanics and climbing/parkour controls are barely functional. I mean, they did improve in a lot of areas, like the missions structures, and the co-op missions actually are fun, but goddamn they hosed up a lot of fundamental stuff here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Evil Crouton posted:

Is my companion app broken or something? While the PS4 was installing the main Unity game I downloaded and tried the app. Did some tutorial missions and had 4 assassins. Then Uplay got over its problem of the moment and the app synced to my PS4 game and brought up a map of Arno's area. It also zeroed out my assassin count on the app and I can't do any more missions. When I select one it shows 0 assassins available and the continue button is both highlighted and greyed out. Can I fix this or do I have to suck it up and try not to get too annoyed at all the blue chests telling me to do more Nomad missions?

Yeah, you're screwed for now.

Don't start the app before the game, that breaks it.

There's a slight workaround that might work for you. Advance the game a few sequences and capture a bunch of viewpoints. Then go back to the app and hope it syncs it all. One of the popups will say something about unlocking an additional assassin slot. Tap that popup. That takes you to the list that's normally greyed out where you can buy some assassins (buy the 2 cheapest.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 15, 2014

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
I just wasted the better part of a day doing the Nostradamus crap to find out that outfits are just skins that don't affect stats.
I feel this is worse than some of the glitches.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Also, I thought they said the missions in this game were more dynamic? Like, if you are following someone, you could kill them instead of having to tail them and still complete the mission. Apparently not all of them, because in Memory 5 you have to tail someone and if he notices you, it's an instant desync.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

This loving companion app just killed all 4 assassins worth10k on a 93% mission. It will take me 2-3 days to replace them. If you're even slightly ocd about completion, do not install the companion app!
You'll end up smashing your phone/tablet and/or fly to Canada to murder the shithead who designed it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Kin posted:

Do i get to build my own assassin army later or something? That's the only way i think i could start to really enjoy this.

Haha this would own so hard. Arno walks up to a templar, "Nan Ichir Gelar!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vodos posted:

This loving companion app just killed all 4 assassins worth10k on a 93% mission. It will take me 2-3 days to replace them. If you're even slightly ocd about completion, do not install the companion app!
You'll end up smashing your phone/tablet and/or fly to Canada to murder the shithead who designed it.

You can actually grind the early 2-6 minute missions for like 125 each. I think it's the most efficient, but pretty annoying to do.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

Taco Defender

Vodos posted:

I have an iPhone 3 so I can't install the app but I keep getting prompted by the game to install the app so maybe I need to spend $400 on a new phone :shepspends:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BattleSausage posted:

I have an iPhone 3 so I can't install the app but I keep getting prompted by the game to install the app so maybe I need to spend $400 on a new phone :shepspends:

Well you probably do need to anyway.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Aphrodite posted:

You can actually grind the early 2-6 minute missions for like 125 each. I think it's the most efficient, but pretty annoying to do.

I have enough points, the problem is that the assassin store takes forever to generate enough high level assassins.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cptn_dr posted:

All my menu screens look like this. :smith: Does anyone know anything I can do to fix that, or is it because my computer is lovely and I just wasted $100?

Edit:
More shots for context

So I'm still experiencing the problem, though when I hook my laptop up to my TV, it gets very brief flickers of normality for a few seconds sometimes, before going back to whiteout mode.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Rye Bread posted:

I just wasted the better part of a day doing the Nostradamus crap to find out that outfits are just skins that don't affect stats.
I feel this is worse than some of the glitches.

Not only that, the Thomas de Carneillon outfit you unlock is almost just a palette swap of Altair's outfit (okay so the belt is different but whatever):

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To be fair if I was an Assassin I'd want Altair's outfit too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jejoma posted:

The more I play this game, the closer I am to being 100% certain that most complaints about the controls in the previous games were completely manufactured by contrarians. Because, holy poo poo the new controls are almost unusable in this one. I just don't see how anyone could have played AC4 and thought the controls were bad. I was perfectly able to do everything I needed in that game and most earlier ones fluidly, but jesus christ, I can feel my blood pressure going up trying to navigate around towers and rooftops in this one.

If you played any of the recent AC games, and are still on the fence about this one, I'd say still wait. I know there's a surge of people coming in and saying "oh it's not so bad," but it is bad, because aside from the framerate and other superficial issues, the combat mechanics and climbing/parkour controls are barely functional. I mean, they did improve in a lot of areas, like the missions structures, and the co-op missions actually are fun, but goddamn they hosed up a lot of fundamental stuff here.

The movement controls in this one are honestly better. They allow you to control your upwards/downwards mobility and let you do things you couldn't really easily in the previous games like drop downwards at high speed.

I got nothing positive to say about combat though.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I actually like the new combat a lot better than the new parkour. I tend to get stuck on walls and poo poo and Arno does infuriating things like hopping around and across windows when I want to loving go inside them, or going inside them when I want to do literally anything but that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

I actually like the new combat a lot better than the new parkour. I tend to get stuck on walls and poo poo and Arno does infuriating things like hopping around and across windows when I want to loving go inside them, or going inside them when I want to do literally anything but that.

Don't you just press L2 (or its bone/PC counterpart) to go into windows?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Allright, so I'm doing some mission where I'm supposed to "solve the first riddle" for the Cult of Baphomet and I'm running around these catacombs with no idea what to do. Also, I thought I was helping these guys and they let me in to their dungeon so why are half of these monk dudes attacking me with swords?

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

Don't you just press L2 (or its bone/PC counterpart) to go into windows?

God drat Arno get off the wall. They are stabbing you in the rear end... no, don't get on the chair. Get off the chair. Ok, now get off the setee. They are still stabbing you... god drat it Arno. God drat it.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The movement controls in this one are honestly better. They allow you to control your upwards/downwards mobility and let you do things you couldn't really easily in the previous games like drop downwards at high speed.

I got nothing positive to say about combat though.

I dunno, I honestly never had trouble with these kinds of things in any of the previous games, specifically descending structures. Maybe if you weren't great at the old controls you could argue for some changes, but the control system they came up for this one isn't the answer. There's a lot of posts around here about getting constantly hung up on benches and barrels and whatnot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Allright, so I'm doing some mission where I'm supposed to "solve the first riddle" for the Cult of Baphomet and I'm running around these catacombs with no idea what to do. Also, I thought I was helping these guys and they let me in to their dungeon so why are half of these monk dudes attacking me with swords?

Did you actually read the riddle?

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

To me, the combat feels like they vaguely tried to copy Darks Souls in that everything is more deliberate and is more "important" (your inputs are delayed and your parry action just doesn't work sometimes). Also, when you're fighting more than 2 people, you constantly have to manage the camera angles to make sure you can see everyone to be ready to parry, whereas I think this was automatic in the previous games. I suppose this is opinion, but I don't see how fighting with the camera/environment adds to the combat system.

I mean, I would absolutely say the combat had become over-simplified by the time of AC4, but like most other things in this game, I think their solutions are not good ones.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobs!

Yeah I'm really digging the new up/down parkour. Problem is the actual pathfinding is dogshit compared with the old games. It's kind of a two-steps-forward-three-steps-back kind of thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Did you actually read the riddle?

Haha no I must have just x'ed through it poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cptn_dr posted:

So I'm still experiencing the problem, though when I hook my laptop up to my TV, it gets very brief flickers of normality for a few seconds sometimes, before going back to whiteout mode.

Aaannnddd there's the single digit frame-rate problem. Goodbye, Unity. The 45 minutes we spent together were not fun.

Rogue's coming out on PC in a few months, right? gently caress it, I'll get that.

• Locked thread